PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Freya
03-04-2011, 05:42 AM
The old thread was months old so I didn't want to revive it. BUT GUESS WHAT I GOT TODAY!!

A screenshot of one of the Others from the newest, first full length trailer.

http://i.imgur.com/jjiXy.png

Here's a different quality one by someone else.

http://i.imgur.com/WsC34.jpg

The best 'Game of Thrones' trailer yet -- EXCLUSIVE | Inside TV | EW.com (http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/03/game-of-thrones-new-trailer/)

There's the trailer, which is probably the best one yet.

Next month! WOO! With this and Dance of dragons the world will know this summer what is what in the fantasy genre!

Let's gab about how the others aren't too white or whatever else :]

Watch the first 14 mins. (http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html?view=grid&vid=1170886&autoplay=true)

G13
03-04-2011, 06:02 AM
Come for me, Gmork! I am Atreyu!

http://attachments.conceptart.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=925379&d=1268112858

I'm pretty stoked for the show. I still need to finish the book though.

Bunny
03-04-2011, 06:26 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f7/Theotherslost.jpg

NorthernChaosGod
03-04-2011, 07:33 AM
Okay, super excited for this but I have a few things bothering me. Some of the casting looks fucking weird. And did Eddard sound funny to anyone else? o_O

G13
03-04-2011, 07:56 AM
wtf is wrong with Sean Bean? :colbert:

Freya
03-04-2011, 07:59 AM
Don't insult our mods julian. It's not nice.

NorthernChaosGod
03-04-2011, 03:58 PM
wtf is wrong with Sean Bean? :colbert:

The way he said his own name. Otherwise he's awesome.

G13
03-06-2011, 11:07 PM
What the crap are you talking about? He said his name how it should be pronounced.

NorthernChaosGod
03-06-2011, 11:23 PM
With that much emphasis on the middle? o_O

G13
03-06-2011, 11:31 PM
You've never spoken to a British chap, have you?

NorthernChaosGod
03-07-2011, 12:13 AM
No, usually they just lock me up and teabag me.

Freya
03-07-2011, 02:58 AM
You're derailing my thread of squeeness. :mad2:

NorthernChaosGod
03-07-2011, 03:16 AM
:squee:

Freya
04-04-2011, 05:28 AM
MORE SQUEE! Omg the did a 14 min preview. This show is going to rock my face off.

HBO: Video: Game of Thrones 14 min Preview (http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html?view=grid&vid=1170886&autoplay=true)

I got chills watching this. The next two weeks are gonna suck in anticipation :(

Carl the Llama
04-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Hahaha George RR Martin is one of my all time favorite authors (I have even met the man on the release of aFfC and got all of my books signed with a person inscription /brag) and I can say when I first heard about this I was a little sceptical but I haven't heard anything bad about this series and damn... I can't fucking wait to see it come to life, I also have a trailer for it but you guys have probably already seen it but I will post it anyways:

IMDb Video: Game of Thrones (http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2864422169/)

Note to the director/s: please please please do not change anything, the books are so venomous that it just makes the world seem so unachievable... I really would like this series to be truly spectacular like the books, can't wait to see the dragons.

Bunny
04-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Note to the director/s: please please please do not change anything, the books are so venomous that it just makes the world seem so unachievable

Anything they changed was written off with consent by Martin and was purely for the ease of book-to-television show goodness.

I rushed through the first book in time to see this show without feeling any guilt about not having read the book first. I slowed down on Clash of Kings since I have a bit more time to read it but it is equally good, if not better, than the first.

I can't wait for Winter.

Carl the Llama
04-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Anything they changed was written off with consent by Martin and was purely for the ease of book-to-television show goodness.

I rushed through the first book in time to see this show without feeling any guilt about not having read the book first. I slowed down on Clash of Kings since I have a bit more time to read it but it is equally good, if not better, than the first.

I can't wait for Winter.

Thats just about the best news I could have hoped for in this show and I again tilt my cap to George for coming up with such an awesome idea.

On a side note I actually started the book with Clash as it was a birthday present many many years ago and have to say I did love it, my favourite character is definitely Arya Stark, she is just awesome what's your guys favourite character?

escobert
04-07-2011, 10:44 PM
That sneak peak looks awesome :D I can't wait

sharkythesharkdogg
04-09-2011, 04:34 AM
Arya is a fav. Tyrion is always a favorite, but he's prob. everyone's. Jamie Lannister has grown on me. Daenerys is growing on me. I'm curious to see where he takes Catelyn Stark. She could be a favorite.

Bunny
04-09-2011, 04:49 AM
Arya, Tyrion and Jon Snow are my favorite characters, though I'm only halfway through the second book and I expect that to change as he shoves main characters into early graves and introduces others. I like Jamie to a certain degree, but I haven't really seen much of his character outside of descriptions and rumors spread by others.

sharkythesharkdogg
04-09-2011, 05:20 AM
My thoughts on Jamie.

If you're up to date on all the books, I think you've seen both sides of Jamie represented fairly well. Now it's up to you to decide he's truly turned over a new leaf, or if he'll go back to his old ways.

If you haven't read all the books, then you'll see this other side. This might not be enough to need spoiler tags, but I don't like ruining things like this for people.

EDIT: I'd also like to change my statement of liking Arya, to liking Arya after the appearance of Needle. It just fit her perfectly.

NorthernChaosGod
04-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Tyrion is fucking awesome; I can't imagine anyone not liking him. Aside from him I think my favorite character would have to be Jon Snow.

Iceglow
04-11-2011, 02:01 AM
I'm so looking forwards to this show.

I am also highly amused by the repeated misspelling in this thread of the same name. It is not Jamie Lannister but Jaime Lannister (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaime_Lannister#Jaime_Lannister)

Bunny
04-11-2011, 02:28 AM
Blame it on typing fast.

And it wasn't really repeated, three times in 23 posts is kinda.. minor.

G13
04-11-2011, 05:02 AM
Tyrion is my favorite character. I like Bran and Ned as well, I like Daenarys' chapters the best though.

Bunny
04-17-2011, 12:39 AM
ATTN: Girls

Go read Twilight. (http://tv.nytimes.com/2011/04/15/arts/television/game-of-thrones-begins-sunday-on-hbo-review.html)

Raistlin
04-17-2011, 12:52 AM
Arya, Tyrion and Jon Snow are my favorite characters, though I'm only halfway through the second book and I expect that to change as he shoves main characters into early graves and introduces others.

These were my favorites, too.

I haven't read the books in years, but I'll definitely be giving the show a try, especially because it's on HBO. I was not a huge fan of some of the books, but given all this work, it seems to have the potential to be a relatively good fantasy TV show (admittedly without a whole lot of real competition).

NorthernChaosGod
04-17-2011, 01:29 AM
ATTN: Girls

Go read Twilight. (http://tv.nytimes.com/2011/04/15/arts/television/game-of-thrones-begins-sunday-on-hbo-review.html)

Lulz. I approve.

The Man
04-17-2011, 03:26 AM
At least a third of the people I know who read that series are female. I wouldn't be surprised if the westeros.org board had a larger concentration of female posters than males.

Bunny
04-18-2011, 06:28 AM
/thumbsup

Freya
04-18-2011, 06:55 AM
OMG it was good. I actually like Viserys. I hated him in the book but I like what they did with him in the show.

escobert
04-18-2011, 12:59 PM
My friends and I enjoyed the first episode. Can't wait until next week!

G13
04-18-2011, 11:41 PM
It was alright.

NorthernChaosGod
04-18-2011, 11:56 PM
It was okay, there are too many changes for me to really like it.

Viserys and Jaime are much too likeable already and it's bothering me. At least Tyrion still looks like he's going to be a boss.

Bunny
04-19-2011, 12:57 AM
Viserys and Jaime are much too likeable already and it's bothering me. At least Tyrion still looks like he's going to be a boss.

Being a cocky, pretty boy who fucks his sister and throws children off towers is.. likeable to you? Jesus.

As far as Viserys goes, I agree that he's more likeable in the show than in the book, but I felt the actor did a pretty good job of portraying a selfish twat who doesn't know anything about the world.

NorthernChaosGod
04-19-2011, 01:13 AM
They're both monsters in print and Jaime doesn't really become sympathetic until much later. Viserys really never is.

Bunny
04-19-2011, 01:25 AM
Jamie isn't a monster in the first nine chapters, which is what the first episode covers. In fact, he's barely present as a character.

The only bit of sympathy so far is Jaime-Tyrion, which is exactly how it is in the book.

NorthernChaosGod
04-19-2011, 01:39 AM
Touché, but he's still kind of a dick.

Is there a guide as to which chapters will be covered in which episodes?

Bunny
04-19-2011, 01:45 AM
Nah, not that I know of. I'm sure there is something around there if you dig enough. I'm just going based on the major plot points. And yeah, I agree that he's a bit of a dick.. but everyone likes him anyway. I think the actor did a pretty good job being a likable asshole.

Such as Bran taking the tumble, which happens at the end of Bran II, which is chapter 9 by normal count. (source (http://www.towerofthehand.com/books/101/))

Raistlin
04-19-2011, 03:15 AM
It thought it was pretty good, and decent setup for a hopefully good series. I think the show might have trouble bring in new fans, though. I was easily able to follow the story, but I could understand new viewers being very confused as things moved very quickly with little introduction.

Arya was appropriately awesome, but I did miss Jon a bit. Hopefully he gets developed more soon.

Cuchulainn
04-19-2011, 03:27 AM
Watched it. Was excellent. Imma apply to be an extra next time they're here. Most of the filming for the north is not far from my house. It really is, like they said, Soprano's in Middle Earth.

And Julian stop being a book snob you bellend. Everyone knows things need adopted for the screen & sacrifices need to be made yet everyone still moans when it's different from the book.

EDIT: Harry Lloyd looks VERY different than he looked in Robin Hood.

G13
04-19-2011, 03:31 AM
Get Boromir's autograph for me, Cuch!

Cuchulainn
04-19-2011, 03:32 AM
Get Boromir's autograph for me, Cuch!

I'm on it!

Bunny
04-19-2011, 03:40 AM
It thought it was pretty good, and decent setup for a hopefully good series. I think the show might have trouble bring in new fans, though. I was easily able to follow the story, but I could understand new viewers being very confused as things moved very quickly with little introduction.

I had a friend of mine watching and he had some negative criticisms stemming from the fact that they introduced a lot of characters in a very short amount of time. He also needed some clearing up in regards to "what happened here exactly" type of things. That seems to be the general consensus among new (intelligent) viewers.

I add intelligent because I could see where some confusion and misplaced anger could occur by some of the things going on in the show, and the way they dealt with character introductions, but for the most part they cleared it up.

Did anyone catch the Godswood face?

G13
04-19-2011, 03:44 AM
I looked but I must have missed it.

Bunny
04-19-2011, 03:51 AM
It was pretty faint but it looked more like a face than Jesus on a cracker (http://stuffthatlookslikejesus.com/).

NorthernChaosGod
04-19-2011, 04:03 AM
And Julian stop being a book snob you bellend. Everyone knows things need adopted for the screen & sacrifices need to be made yet everyone still moans when it's different from the book.

I really don't think things like character derailment are necessary sacrifices for a screen adaptation. If I was just going to nitpick I have many other things that are off.

Sorry for having standards.

Raistlin
04-19-2011, 04:21 AM
It was pretty faint but it looked more like a face than Jesus on a cracker (http://stuffthatlookslikejesus.com/).

Blasphemy!

Bunny
04-19-2011, 04:54 AM

I really don't think things like character derailment are necessary sacrifices for a screen adaptation. If I was just going to nitpick I have many other things that are off.

Like?

NorthernChaosGod
04-19-2011, 05:26 AM
Major or minor concerns?

Bunny
04-19-2011, 05:35 AM
Both.

NorthernChaosGod
04-19-2011, 06:14 AM
I don't like how they changed the introduction of the Others and the death of Ser Waymar Royce. I think it's much more frightening for Will to see Royce fight off the Others and get his sword shattered. The others look nothing like described in the book.

They also changed the introduction of the direwolf pups and completely left out the mention of it being an omen. (It'd be nigh impossible to even make that connection for new viewers). I'm pretty sure direwolves are supposed be a a dark gray which makes Ghost stand out more. The wolves are hardly getting any attention even though they're very important.

Robb and Jon look too fucking similar, only Jon is supposed to bear much resemblance to Ned.

Ice looks too much like a normal sword.

Viserys actually comes off as a likeable character so far. Even when he says he'd let Drogo's whole khalasar fuck Dany it's not even cringeworthy.

It seems everyone likes Jaime, but they're still supposed to call him Kingslayer behind it back at least. I'm pissed that wasn't mentioned once.

G13
04-19-2011, 06:41 AM
I think it wouldn't have hurt to explain some things a little better. The omen is one that should have received a little more attention, though I can understand needing to cut some stuff out to fit tv time constraints. Hopefully it gets brought up later in the series.

Another thing that bothered me was how Ned and Catelyn were talking in the wooded area about the face and the old gods, but they didn't even show the face. I noticed she looked at a specific part off camera when she mentioned how the place creeped her out, but that was it. I'll have to pay more attention next time I watch it to see if it's visible somewhere.

The Others weren't what I pictured them like at all, but, again, I understand the need to change some things. It's been a while since I read the book but weren't they supposed to be sleek and quiet and indistinguishable? These looked like yetis.

I don't mind Viserys being a little more likable, but I'd like to see just a little bit of that sleeping dragon. We saw some hint of what he was willing to do to get what he wanted in those scenes in the book. He just kind of stated it like it was common knowledge in the episode. No anger, no pinching, nothing. I can dig it though, I don't really want to see a bro pinching his sister's nip.

I was a bit confused why the twins were shown talking about Jaime being made the King's Hand. Didn't they kill Jon Arryn (Still haven't finished GoT)? They had to have known Jaime's name wasn't in the hat for that job. Or was it just a little shameless flirting?

That's about all I got. Overall I liked the show. They sped things up well enough and explained the passage of time pretty well. The characters are spot on, I won't hold a little age changing over anyone's head, and so far they're not butchering the plot. I'm always worried about that ever since Eragon was made into a movie (If that raised some questions, I was young when I read it and yes I do realize it's an awful rip-off of Star Wars and a horrible excuse for a fantasy novel).

Raistlin
04-19-2011, 07:11 AM
How the hell is Viserys remotely likable? He forces his little, terrified sister into marrying a huge savage, and openly tells her he'd let the whole fucking army rape her if it'd get him his crown. Actually I can see why Julian would like him.

This happens with every single movie or show that is based on a book; people always complain it's not exactly like the book. Enjoy and judge the show for what it is. Hell, I would say it's been far more faithful to the book than most book-based shows I've seen so far.

And seriously, the wolves weren't dark enough? One character looks like another? They didn't mention Jaime's common nickname in the first episode in which he was barely seen? If you don't pull that stick out of your ass, you won't ever be able to watch an episode without fuming.

The only complaint I had was that it sped through events and people very quickly, but that's understandable for a TV show. Oh, and Catelyn wasn't bat:bou::bou::bou::bou: crazy and hateful enough. God I hated her in the books.

NorthernChaosGod
04-19-2011, 08:11 AM
How the hell is Viserys remotely likable? He forces his little, terrified sister into marrying a huge savage, and openly tells her he'd let the whole smurfing army rape her if it'd get him his crown. Actually I can see why Julian would like him.

I actually like Viserys. I hated him in the book but I like what they did with him in the show.
Um, that maybe? He's not remotely as much a monster as he is? He's a bratty little :bou::bou::bou::bou: with a huge sense of entitlement in the books, there is hardly any of that present.

This happens with every single movie or show that is based on a book; people always complain it's not exactly like the book. Enjoy and judge the show for what it is. Hell, I would say it's been far more faithful to the book than most book-based shows I've seen so far.

That's kind of why I only mentioned the two things I thought were pretty largely off. You know, the things that make them different characters.

And seriously, the wolves weren't dark enough? One character looks like another? They didn't mention Jaime's common nickname in the first episode in which he was barely seen? If you don't pull that stick out of your ass, you won't ever be able to watch an episode without fuming.
I didn't realize that even my minor annoyances were supposed to be major concerns. My bad. Next time someone asks I'll just tell them you'll get mad.

The only complaint I had was that it sped through events and people very quickly, but that's understandable for a TV show. Oh, and Catelyn wasn't bat:bou::bou::bou::bou: crazy and hateful enough. God I hated her in the books.
For an HBO show, they don't have good reasons to skip out on a lot and rush.

Iceglow
04-19-2011, 10:25 AM
I liked it but I'm also of the opinion that there needs to be quite a bit more explanation of characters and events. Perhaps 9 chapters was too much for the first episode? Perhaps it should have covered like maybe 5.

Also in the book, Theon Greyjoy is explained at least in so far as he is Ned Stark's Ward by this point. In the show he isn't even named, even when he tells Jon "Ah the runt of the litter, that's yours Jon" which is somewhat disappointing.

I also found Viserys not monstrous enough. Common opinion it seems though I will give Jason Momoa credit for his portrayal of Drogo it's pretty damn good to be honest though for the first episode you could say he has it easy.

Freya
04-19-2011, 02:38 PM
Oh you idiot. I meant I liked him as a douche. Doesn't mean he wasn't still and ass. xD

Yeah it's HBO but their budget was large and their ratings are not coming in so well. They probably knew that would happen hence only 10 episodes rather than more to fit in more story. They had to cram it all in. If you recall, it's a huge book! It's gonna speed by some stuff.

Cuchulainn
04-19-2011, 03:18 PM

You've no idea how much of a petty nerd-snob that comment made you look.

Bunny
04-19-2011, 04:43 PM
I don't like how they changed the introduction of the Others and the death of Ser Waymar Royce. I think it's much more frightening for Will to see Royce fight off the Others and get his sword shattered. The others look nothing like described in the book.

I can give you the changes to the opening being largely unnecessary. I don't know why Will had to survive instead of Gared, aside from Will having more better crazed, I-just-watched-people-die-from-mythical beings look. However, I don't get the complaint about The Others. They didn't look as they were dsecribed in the books? Tall, gaunt, humanoids with bulky armor? Did we watch different episodes?

They also changed the introduction of the direwolf pups and completely left out the mention of it being an omen. (It'd be nigh impossible to even make that connection for new viewers). I'm pretty sure direwolves are supposed be a a dark gray which makes Ghost stand out more. The wolves are hardly getting any attention even though they're very important.

With the exception of removing an overabundance of dialogue (necessary in a show that lasts only one hour), I don't see the problem with altering the introduction of the direwolves. Yeah, some key bits here and there could have served the scene better, but it wasn't all that terrible itself. Personal opinion on my part, yeah, but I really don't see the complaint that this scene is getting from almost everyone. The hardly get anymore attention in the show because they're already introducing the entire cast. Come the second episode, I've heard they spend a good amount of time on Arya-Sansa and the entire direwolf scenario. As well as the entire Bran debalace with Summer somewhere down the line.

Viserys actually comes off as a likeable character so far. Even when he says he'd let Drogo's whole khalasar smurf Dany it's not even cringeworthy.

In the chapters that the first episode covers, Viserys isn't that much of a monster. He's just a huge dick to his sister, which they portrayed pretty well in almost all ways. They didn't need to add all of the scenes where he's basically explaining to his sister what his plans are, as that ruins the show by television standards. The fact that he's selling his sister into sexual slavery to a group of hideous barbarians is pretty good for the initial setup. The book can spend as much time on these small things as it wants, but a television show that will last roughly 10 hours needs to leave some things for the audience to pick up on.

It seems everyone likes Jaime, but they're still supposed to call him Kingslayer behind it back at least. I'm pissed that wasn't mentioned once.

I don't recall exactly every bit of dialogue in the first few chapters, but I think the only person who says Kingslayer right away is Viserys. That's neither here nor there but the whole "Jaime isn't the character he should be immediately out of the gate" is a bit of a silly complaint, regardless of how small it is intended to be.

These looked like yetis.

Yetis have ahir that covers their entire body, the White Walkers just have long hair, which is fine since they are wild 'people' who live in a cold area.

Another thing that bothered me was how Ned and Catelyn were talking in the wooded area about the face and the old gods, but they didn't even show the face. I noticed she looked at a specific part off camera when she mentioned how the place creeped her out, but that was it. I'll have to pay more attention next time I watch it to see if it's visible somewhere.

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/tbcx/godswood.jpg

It doesn't stand out as much as it should but it is there at least.

I was a bit confused why the twins were shown talking about Jaime being made the King's Hand. Didn't they kill Jon Arryn (Still haven't finished GoT)? They had to have known Jaime's name wasn't in the hat for that job. Or was it just a little shameless flirting?

I think that entire scene was added for exposition and character introduction. It is more for people who haven't read the book and will think "these two have a secret" or "something is rotten in Westeros" before you get to the end of the first episode. It wasn't entirely necessary for those who already read the book and know what is going to happen but it is a great introduction for Jaime and Cersei.

I liked it but I'm also of the opinion that there needs to be quite a bit more explanation of characters and events. Perhaps 9 chapters was too much for the first episode? Perhaps it should have covered like maybe 5.

The first book has 73 chapters, including the prologue. Each chapter has something that needs to be covered in some way or you lose a lot of character development. Covering the first nine chapters in the first episode means you can spend time developing characters slower somewhere down the road. Covering a 900-page book that has an immense amount of character development in a mere 10 episodes means some things are going to get left on the back burner and some things are going to be explained at a faster pace.

Bunny
04-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Following strong critical and viewer response to the series’ April 17 debut, HBO has renewed GAME OF THRONES for a second season, it was announced today by Michael Lombardo, president, HBO Programming.

“We are delighted by the way David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have brought George R.R. Martin’s amazing book series to the screen, and thrilled by the support of the media and our viewers,” said Lombardo. “This is the continuation of an exciting creative partnership.”

Double posting so this doesn't get lost in the wall of text above.

NorthernChaosGod
04-19-2011, 09:49 PM

I can give you the changes to the opening being largely unnecessary. I don't know why Will had to survive instead of Gared, aside from Will having more better crazed, I-just-watched-people-die-from-mythical beings look. However, I don't get the complaint about The Others. They didn't look as they were dsecribed in the books? Tall, gaunt, humanoids with bulky armor? Did we watch different episodes?

We must have, that guy wouldn't have looked out of place at the gym; he was a pretty muscular. Also, he was wearing hardly any armor, he looked like he wearing a loincloth and not much else.

I'll grab a screenshot later.

And the stuff about Viserys, unless you think marriage has always been about love then Dany's marriage to Drago is pretty much business as usual for that type of setting. Women were pretty much property in the the times that the books are modeled after, I hardly think that's some of his more dickish actions. I think the straight cruelty and abuse and the general holier-than-thou attitude is what really makes him a dick.

Bunny
04-19-2011, 10:22 PM
And the stuff about Viserys, unless you think marriage has always been about love then Dany's marriage to Drago is pretty much business as usual for that type of setting. Women were pretty much property in the the times that the books are modeled after, I hardly think that's some of his more dickish actions. I think the straight cruelty and abuse and the general holier-than-thou attitude is what really makes him a dick.

Are we being condescending now? I know about the history of marriage, you don't need to explain it to me as if I'm a child. It also has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not Viserys is enough of a monster. You have the pleasure of having read the books prior to viewing the show. That means that you are privy to the thoughts and feelings of characters through innner monologues and the point-of-view that the chapters are written from. Television shows cannot provide either of those with any degree of success or substance and so the stories need to be told in another way.

Your real complaint about Viserys is that he does not match your personal expectations, what you felt he should be and how he should be portrayed. He is selling his sister into sexual slavery, to a man she has never met and knows absolutely nothing about. He goes on to tell his sister, to her face and without any hint of joking, that he would let her be raped by 40,000 men and horses if it would give him what he wants. How exactly can that be considered "likable"?

We must have, that guy wouldn't have looked out of place at the gym; he was a pretty muscular. Also, he was wearing hardly any armor, he looked like he wearing a loincloth and not much else.

Rewatching the scene where Gared is beheaded, the four Others that I could make out clearly look like they could either be completely unarmored aside from a loincloth or they could be wearing tight-fitting armor of different color. Since the shots are pretty quick and fairly dark, it's hard to tell exactly which it is without assuming one way or another. Regardless of the armor factor though, I think the Others looked pretty good in comparison to the book descriptions.

G13
04-20-2011, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the pic, Bunny. I probably never would have seen that otherwise.

McLovin'
04-20-2011, 04:33 AM
The first episode was done well but it was so boring. Not much entertainment going on. But the end definitely made me gasp. Hopefully it'll get more exciting.

NorthernChaosGod
04-20-2011, 06:05 AM
I'll give you that one about Viserys.

But I still think it looks like the Others are unarmored and rather big.

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/2425/vlcsnap2011041921h57m01.png
http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/8202/vlcsnap2011041913h48m01.png

At least the sword does look different.

Freya
04-20-2011, 02:43 PM
AND BADASS! Stop complaining you nitpicking nagging ninny!

NorthernChaosGod
04-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Quiet, men are talking.

Roogle
04-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Is there any place that someone can watch the entire first episode online without having to go to shady sites or download it, I wonder?

Bunny
04-20-2011, 10:36 PM
The only place that I know if is HBO Go (since they don't have an exclusive deal with Hulu or any other streaming sites that I know of). The problem with Go is that you have to have HBO already, which makes it somewhat useless.

Roogle
04-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Oh, no, that will work for me since I have HBO. Thanks!

Bunny
04-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Well then you should be watching it on Sundays to help it get better ratings and whatnot.

NorthernChaosGod
04-21-2011, 12:44 AM
Well then you should be watching it on Sundays to help it get better ratings and whatnot.

He asked about the first episode, broheim. He can still watch it on Sundays on HBO.

Iceglow
04-21-2011, 12:45 AM
I doubt it's going to be the same in the USA but in the UK if you're a sky subscriber you can watch it in HD on the Sky Player since the show is being aired on Sky Atlantic (we haven't actually got a HBO channel in the UK)

escobert
04-21-2011, 12:57 AM
If you have Comcast and HBO, you can watch it on Demand.

Bunny
04-21-2011, 01:37 AM
I doubt it's going to be the same in the USA but in the UK if you're a sky subscriber you can watch it in HD on the Sky Player since the show is being aired on Sky Atlantic (we haven't actually got a HBO channel in the UK)

Did you manage to catch the interview between Joe Abercrombie and GRRM that went on before the airing on Sunday? I want to see it but I can't seem to find it anywhere, only information on it taking place.

Iceglow
04-21-2011, 07:24 AM

Did you manage to catch the interview between Joe Abercrombie and GRRM that went on before the airing on Sunday? I want to see it but I can't seem to find it anywhere, only information on it taking place.

I didn't I think theres a video for that too on the sky player but frankly the issue there is you need to be a paid up subscriber. If I can get my account details for my house share (such as sky subscription name and password for the sky player page) then I could watch it. My old Sky account allows me to see everything there but because I cancelled my sky services last year I no longer have sky player in full, I can only watch free to air shows.

The Captain
04-22-2011, 06:15 AM
Caught the pilot and overall enjoyed it, but was in way over my head. I haven't read any of the books yet, probably will get to them at some point.

The most important thing to remember about adaptations, is that TV/film is all about pace and visuals, so a lot of what gets changed or left out is done because as other have said, a 10 hour season can't cover 800 pages of words. So long as all of the major plot points and the character points get covered, they've done their job of telling the story. The one interesting aspect is how much, if at all, the series will deviate from the book. Obviously, not by making any drastic changes, like having characters die or live instead of the fates they suffered in the books, but more in how the TV series will make the story its own.

For example: I enjoyed all of the Harry Potter movies to some extent, but the 3rd one remains my favorite because it told the story but added some new flavor and set a different tone, a more mature, mysterious tone from the first two films. Now, the first two films were almost word for word adaptations of the books and were fine, but the 3rd one took some creative license and to me was the better for it because it added to the entire series in how it portrayed the story, the characters, etc etc. I am anxious to see if this series will do something along those lines.

Take care all.

Bunny
04-25-2011, 08:15 AM
Second episode was considerably better than the first episode. Peter Dinklage is doing a pretty incredible job of Tyrion Lannister. Slapping the :bou::bou::bou::bou: out of Joffrey and then "Mmm.. time for breakfast! Had me rollin. The end was suitably sad.

I'm hoping they add Bran's crow dream into the next episode, as some sort of flashback, but I can understand if they don't because of more pressing matters. However, I'm pretty worried if they don't that it'll only serve to hurt them in the end and confuse people unfamiliar with the books later on. Bran's crow references are a pretty strong part of his character.

Also: Go Summer + Nymeria!

The Man
04-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Dinklage as Tyrion is perfect. The first two episodes have been pretty much everything I could have hoped for from an adaptation of this series.

Every scene involving direwolves has pleased me greatly. Except of course the one where Lady is killed, which it's hard to be pleased by. But that's obviously the point.

escobert
04-25-2011, 11:52 AM
The ending was sad but dammit I really hate the queen!and the Prince. I hope he gets his nuts bit off. I still have no idea of what most characters names are so I'll just refer to them all as that guy and stuff :p

The Man
04-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Prince Joffrey is one of the few characters in the series for whom there are no redeeming features whatsoever. Queen Cersei is also pretty much unrepentantly evil, but at least there is a good explanation for how she became that way, which is presented later in the series. Joffrey doesn't have any excuses; he's just a little :bou::bou::bou::bou:. The only other characters I can think of who are so unrepentantly loathsome are Tywin and Littlefinger.

Iceglow
04-25-2011, 12:57 PM
<div style="font: 16px Candara, Skia, Corbel, 'Trebuchet MS', Georgia, Geneva, Helvetica, Lucida, 'Lucida Grande', Arial, sans-serif; color: #38bcee; text-align: justify;">Prince Joffrey is one of the few characters in the series for whom there are no redeeming features whatsoever. Queen Cersei is also pretty much unrepentantly evil, but at least there is a good explanation for how she became that way, which is presented later in the series. Joffrey doesn't have any excuses; he's just a little :bou::bou::bou::bou:. The only other characters I can think of who are so unrepentantly loathsome are Tywin and Littlefinger.</div>

Should probably chalk Sandor Clegane (aka, the mountain that rides) and Viserys Targaryen up there too with Tywin, Littlefinger, Joffrey and Cersei.

One character that has been passed over in the show so far is probably the most important in the Sansa storyline is the knight of flowers, Loras Tyrell she dreamed of Joffery being as noble as him even when she asked her mother to agree to the marriage.

The Man
04-25-2011, 01:09 PM
<div style="font: 16px Candara, Skia, Corbel, 'Trebuchet MS', Georgia, Geneva, Helvetica, Lucida, 'Lucida Grande', Arial, sans-serif; color: #38bcee; text-align: justify;">Prince Joffrey is one of the few characters in the series for whom there are no redeeming features whatsoever. Queen Cersei is also pretty much unrepentantly evil, but at least there is a good explanation for how she became that way, which is presented later in the series. Joffrey doesn't have any excuses; he's just a little :bou::bou::bou::bou:. The only other characters I can think of who are so unrepentantly loathsome are Tywin and Littlefinger.</div>

Should probably chalk Sandor Clegane (aka, the mountain that rides) and Viserys Targaryen up there too with Tywin, Littlefinger, Joffrey and Cersei.

One character that has been passed over in the show so far is probably the most important in the Sansa storyline is the knight of flowers, Loras Tyrell she dreamed of Joffery being as noble as him even when she asked her mother to agree to the marriage.Er, you're thinking about Gregor. Sandor is the Hound, who develops redeeming features later in the story (and arguably has always had them). That said, that's a good point about Viserys. I forgot about him. Even though he features prominently in the first two episodes. That's what I get for posting at 7am, and now 8am :monster: There are other minor characters who don't really have any redeeming qualities as well - the Bloody Mummers, Walder Frey, Roose Bolton, and especially Ramsay Bolton.

And yeah, that's a good point about Loras. It's pretty obvious that Sansa is naïve even without her daydreams about Loras though. Still, maybe they'll feature in the next episode. I'm sure he'll have to be introduced at some point. Had he even been introduced by this point in the book? I don't seem to remember him showing up until about a quarter of the way through.

Finally, I'd consider the fact that Littlefinger is a bad guy to be a spoiler. Even though he tells Ned right away not to trust him. Considering how many people reading this thread probably haven't read the books, it would be nice if you'd mark that.

Iceglow
04-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Er, you're thinking about Gregor. Sandor is the Hound, who develops redeeming features later in the story (and arguably has always had them).

And yeah, that's a good point about Loras. It's pretty obvious that Sansa is naïve even without her daydreams about Loras though.

Er yeah my bad, I got their first names mixed up.

I haven't got my copy of the book to hand to check if Loras was in the story or not by now. I thought he was however. I know he gives Sansa a rose which sparks of an infactuation within her of him. Though she might as well have not bothered considering he is gay with Lord Renly Baratheon.

Psychotic
04-25-2011, 03:39 PM
I have never read the books. I just like swords 'n' titties. And the midget. And Boromir. Anything else is irrelevant.

edit: "I'll gut you you little :bou::bou::bou::bou:!" hahahahahahahahahaha I also like hilariously inappropriate profanity. :jess:

Bunny
04-25-2011, 03:57 PM
I haven't got my copy of the book to hand to check if Loras was in the story or not by now. I thought he was however. I know he gives Sansa a rose which sparks of an infactuation within her of him. Though she might as well have not bothered considering he is gay with Lord Renly Baratheon.

They might mention Loras at the beginning of the book but I believe the tournament is the first time we actually see him. Considering that, it makes sense that they've yet to mention him so far in the storyline.

I'm honestly impressed with the entire cast. There were some little worries here and there at the beginning, but they've all but been dispelled watching the first two episodes. I know there were some complaints elsewhere about the casting of Catelyn Stark, but I think she's done a pretty good job with what she's been given. Sansa was the other one I wasn't too sure about, since Sophie Turner is absolutely new, but she's doing a very good job being incredible annoying but sympathetic.

The dire wolves are great but the lack of Ghost is upsetting. He's only been viewable twice that I can recall (once in the beginning and once in a longshot of Jon Snow's Wall expedition), I'm hoping he begins to play a more prominent role since he's probably my favorite dire wolf.

Raistlin
04-25-2011, 04:17 PM
And this is the part where half the characters become so obnoxiously horrible people that you want to stab their eyes out. Joffrey is the worst offender, and there's always the Queen and that stupid bitch Sansa, who at least gets what she deserves later on. Catelyn has been surprisingly less filled with stupid and hate, but that will probably come soon enough. In the books she's so mind-numbingly stupid that she went from being a decently-developed character you're supposed to dislike to an unrealistically stupid mindless vacuum of retardation that devours all signs of intelligence around her. So far, anyway the show has been pretty damn faithful to the books.

Arya, Jon, Ned, Tyrion, and Dany are the only good characters in the book. Jon has had a disappointing lack of development so far, but some things obviously need to be cut to fit everything in.

Tyrion by himself makes the show worth watching.

EDIT: I have now realized that I am much more prone to creative insults and harsh, eloquent criticism when I haven't slept in a ridiculously long time. It amuses me.

Carl the Llama
04-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Well I have watched the second episode now and thought it was alright... I have to say I am a little surprised no one else has commented on the acting I have seen in the series so far... to me it feels a little... I dunno... stale I guess, like its being forced out or something, it may be just that I have read the books and have pictured them in my head while reading them (something I can do only with few books but aSoIaF is one of those rare series where I have been able to do it with all the books) then seeing them come to life on the tv sort of disillusions me towards what I had pictured in my head especially since I decided to pick up the series again quite recently (in time for ADoD) but I keep thinking aside from the seen with Cercei and Catelyn (where Cercei "consoles" Catelyn) coupled with the Arya/Jon scene they all felt wooden to me.

Another thing that I am surprised that people have not picked up on is the fact that no one seems to notice how all the "Royal" children have blond hair... especially after seen Jamie and Cercei smurfing

Bunny
04-25-2011, 10:10 PM
I have to say I am a little surprised no one else has commented on the acting I have seen in the series so far... to me it feels a little... I dunno... stale

That's because everyone else is commending the acting for being superb with only a few minor letdowns. Literally every thing that I read about the show includes a portion that commends the acting for being well done. I don't understand how you can find it stale or wooden, that just seems a bit silly to me. Sure, there are a few characters that don't do as good a job at others (Joffrey) but I still feel he's doing justice to the character by playing him as an unintelligent, princely little twerp. Simply a case of you expecting something grandiose and being let down because it doesn't fit the image you had in your head.

no one seems to notice how all the "Royal" children have blond hair... especially after seen Jamie and Cercei smurfing

Why would anyone pick up on that naturally? The only person to see Jaime and Cersei having sex was forced into a coma for an entire episode (which spanned 1-2 months). Most ordinary people won't jump to the conclusion of an incestuous affair based simply on the hair color of three children, especially since one side of their family line is known for having blonde hair.

Carl the Llama
04-25-2011, 10:27 PM
I have to say I am a little surprised no one else has commented on the acting I have seen in the series so far... to me it feels a little... I dunno... stale

That's because everyone else is commending the acting for being superb with only a few minor letdowns. Literally every thing that I read about the show includes a portion that commends the acting for being well done. I don't understand how you can find it stale or wooden, that just seems a bit silly to me. Sure, there are a few characters that don't do as good a job at others (Joffrey) but I still feel he's doing justice to the character by playing him as an unintelligent, princely little twerp. Simply a case of you expecting something grandiose and being let down because it doesn't fit the image you had in your head.

This is my opinion you don't have to like it but aside from that, I don't read other people opinions about the show, I just like to watch it, your probably right about it being the case that I have a grandiose image in my head but its just something I can't seem to get past.

no one seems to notice how all the "Royal" children have blond hair... especially after seen Jamie and Cercei smurfing

Why would anyone pick up on that naturally? The only person to see Jaime and Cersei having sex was forced into a coma for an entire episode (which spanned 1-2 months). Most ordinary people won't jump to the conclusion of an incestuous affair based simply on the hair color of three children, especially since one side of their family line is known for having blonde hair.

My brother picked up on it naturally, he has watched both episodes, coupled with the fact that Joff looks nothing like his "father" while it may be true that one side of the family has blond hair he thought it strange that the boy looks nothing like Robert (big bear of a man with thick dark hair and Joffrey who is skinny and small, without a single resemblance between the 2) also take into account that someone in this thread (or someone on the site where I watched the episode) commented on the fact that Sansa is taller then Joff. I just thought it a little strange.

Raistlin
04-26-2011, 12:34 AM
I don't know why any character would notice or care. I certainly wouldn't think it any issue at all if blond/brunette couple in real life had blond kids. Assuming the brunette is a carrier, that's a 50/50 shot every time.

P.S. why is this a spoiler considering we've seen Jaime and Cersei fucking like rabbits already? Admittedly there is a small step of logic between those deductions, but it is such a tiny step that even Tyrion's stride covers it 100 times over.

Madonna
04-26-2011, 01:07 AM
So, uh, I never read the series despite the urging of others; I had been lazy. However, watching the show has been an enjoyable experience thus far, and I think I will cave and get the books.

Tyrion is simply the best thing since penicillin, something which he probably could use.

Bunny
04-26-2011, 02:53 AM
Someone posted this elsewhere but it was too good not to bring over here:

CSI: Westeros

"Maester Luwin, get this to the lab. They say my boy fell, but I think..."
*Puts on dragonglass shades*
"They lion."

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n178/poorochondriac/whywouldimakethis.jpg

The Man
04-26-2011, 05:08 AM
That's great. So is this:

http://oi56.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/qqvol0.jpg

And this:

http://ewtvrecaps.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/tyrion_250_1303738859.gif

Re: Catelyn, it sounds like Martin is bearing in mind some of the criticism her character received on the westeros.org boards in overseeing the scripts for the TV show. I'm getting the impression that he didn't intend for her character to be hated that much, so he's probably softening some of her less palatable aspects.

NorthernChaosGod
04-26-2011, 05:34 AM
Damn, this episode was much better than the first.

I fucking loved the scene where Tyrion slaps Joffrey, pure gold. Peter Dinklage is doing an amazing job of playing Tyrion and I look forward to seeing more of him.

I also thought the ending was quite sad. I started feeling it as soon as I saw Micah and Arya playing because I knew what was happening. :(

The Man
04-26-2011, 10:21 AM
A couple of lulzworthy recaps:

http://www.nowpublic.com/culture/game-thrones-s01e02-recap-review-2780726.html

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/game-of-thrones-second-episode/

Also have Tyrion's bitchslap of Joffrey in higher quality

http://i56.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/21jx2qu.jpg

I am fairly certain I will never get tired of looking at this.

Marshall Banana
04-27-2011, 07:26 AM
The dire wolves are so cute! :squee:

I like the show a lot so far. That's all I can really add.

The Man
04-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Four-part interview (http://tunedin.blogs.time.com/tag/george-r-r-martin/) with GRRM conducted by James Poniewozik of Time about the adaptation and other subjects. Well worth reading.

McLovin'
05-02-2011, 07:47 AM
Something needs to happen on this show. I get they're trying to set something up I guess but it's just constant dialogue. Reminds me of LotR but at least it had some fight or flight scenes scattered around.

Bunny
05-02-2011, 07:51 AM
What exactly do you want them to do? Jump to the end of the book when things actually begin to fall into place? The entire first book is, more or less, political intrigue and plot development setting up for the bigger arc. I think they're doing a pretty good job setting up all of that while introducing each character and giving them a personality.

Syrio was awesome. Arya, Jon, and Tyrion continue to maintain (though Tyrion's accent continues to bother me). I want to stab all of the Lannisters in the face, except Jaime because he's pretty. I'm glad they had that scene between the King and Jaime, though who was that other Lannister in the room (the one who isn't Lancel)?

Raistlin
05-02-2011, 08:00 AM
And thus begins Catlyn's decent into utter, mind-boggling insanity. Apparently Littlefinger can lose the knife, but Tyrion could not during the months between that and the attack on Bran? This isn't the TV show's fault; she was even more despicable in the books (such as her constant hatred of Jon).

Tyrion and Arya are still perfect. And Littlefinger is a politician from The Wire! How appropriate.

Also, Syrio was definitely awesome.

NorthernChaosGod
05-02-2011, 08:16 AM
I'm really liking what they're doing with Tyrion on the show, I think I might even enjoy his wit and humor more on screen.

Syrio is fucking awesome, I can't wait to see more of him.

And you're completely right about Cat. This is going to be like watching a train wreck.

Carl the Llama
05-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Well I have to say this was the best episode so far, loved the whole Arya arc of the episode and found the acting to be much better this time around, on the whole I am pleased with what I have seen so far, and Kings Landing was just how I imagined it to be.

Bunny
05-02-2011, 06:22 PM
What did you guys think of Yoren? He seemed a bit more cheery and joking in the show than in the book, where I thought he was much quieter and more grim.

Iceglow
05-02-2011, 07:11 PM
Yeah, episode 3 was pretty great.

Still a distinct lacking of Ghost in the episodes. I also disliked how the nickname of "Lord Snow" getting given Jon got skipped it was just immediately "Lord Snow here grew up in a castle and spat at people like you" which considering how much Jon hated the name in the books is a big deal.

Tyrion is brilliant as is Arya and Syrio (Syrio was one of the best characters in the books until his untimely death) Ned's anger and fear at what he is involved in is being done fine service by Sean Bean roles like this and Boromir along with Sharpe are almost written for him.

In the scene with Robert, Jaime, Lancel and the other knight it is a knight of the Kings Guard (check the armour and white cloak of a Kings Guard member) I would hazard a guess that he is Ser Gerold Hightower, eldest of the Kings Guard.

Even if you don't think it's a big deal, you should use spoilers.

NorthernChaosGod
05-02-2011, 07:42 PM
I forgot to add this before, but I like where Jaime and Viserys are characterwise now. This is much more how I imagined them to be. I'm almost excited for Viserys' crown. :p

Psychotic
05-02-2011, 08:37 PM
I'm not as clued up on names and stuff like the rest of you, 'cause I have not read the books, so a little help here please :redface: You know the Queen and that guy were shagging, and Bran saw them and got shoved out the window? Are the Queen and that guy brother and sister?

'cause I thought that guy was the midget's twin brother, and the midget is also the Queen's brother. But, ew, incest!

Bunny
05-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Yes.

Iceglow
05-02-2011, 08:44 PM
LMFAO Paul, I believe you're trolling us but for your benefit. Jaime (the blonde knight) and Cersei (the queen) are twins and yes, Tyrion is their little brother. And yes, there is incest in the story between the Queen and Jaime Lannister. Without being too much of a spoiler, take a view of what Cersei said to Catelyn (Lady Stark) after Bran "fell" to comfort her, she had a child with Robert (the king) what looked just like him. All her other children look like Lannisters.

The Man
05-03-2011, 06:57 AM
I haven't watched the third episode yet, but I really don't get how anyone could think nothing happens in this show. For starters, there have already been several deaths.

NorthernChaosGod
05-03-2011, 07:02 AM
<div style="font: 16px Candara, Skia, Corbel, 'Trebuchet MS', Georgia, Geneva, Helvetica, Lucida, 'Lucida Grande', Arial, sans-serif; color: #38bcee; text-align: justify;">I haven't watched the third episode yet, but I <I>really</I> don't get how anyone could think nothing happens in this show.</div>

Short attention spans.

McLovin'
05-04-2011, 06:48 AM
other shows make extensive conversations between characters more dramatic. Maybe it's their <s>lack of</s> soundtrack.
I have no doubt the story will pick up and will get more interesting but just saying so far it's been pretty dull and lackluster and more like "Game of Two People talking to each other for an hour." Obviously, I haven't read the books or ever heard of them so I don't know where it's going.

Miriel
05-04-2011, 10:12 AM
I think the show is definitely picking up speed. Really enjoyed this 3rd episode.

Two deaths so far is pretty meek as far as HBO shows go. Even the sex scenes seem relatively tame so far. I mean, on the same night that episode 3 aired on HBO, the Borgias churned out I think... like 6 different sex scenes over on showtime. Including a sex scene that takes place in a dining room full of stuffed dead corpses. :o

If you're not familiar with all the characters and the significance of the groundwork being set up, then I can see how the first few episodes might seem a bit dull. There is definitely something about the lack of tension even in scenes that are supposed to be filled with tension. Not really sure why that is. But I think the show is consistently getting better and now that so many of the characters have been introduced (are there more to be introduced? Cause that would be crazy, the cast is huge already), I hope they really get into the meat of it all.

I'm loving Tyrion and Arya the most so far. Also kinda like douchebag blonde dude. Although there's quite a few douchebag blond dudes. They're all so dickish and evil. I like them all! Don't like the King at all though, he's just gross. And Sean Bean seems like he's phoning it in a bit, which is sad cause I adore Sean Bean. I wish they'd show the direwolves more. They're my favorites.

The Man
05-07-2011, 06:32 AM
moar images

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk75a3hR7S1qzhe6eo1_500.gif

http://i.imgur.com/a1ZES.gif

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g241/HoAPlayer/handmaid.png

NorthernChaosGod
05-07-2011, 08:01 AM
Girl on girl, awesome.

Kaie
05-08-2011, 02:20 PM
If I had known how great this story was, I would have read the books long ago. The problem is there are so many 'epic' fantasy series, which last many books, usually with a boring 'chosen' protoganist that I am kind of turned of by them.

Loved Tyrion from his first appearance.

Freya
05-09-2011, 06:27 AM
You know what made this episode awesome? Actually seeing Ghost and Hodor!

NorthernChaosGod
05-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Holy balls, they actually showed Ghost. Hopefully they show more of him soon.

Also, I'm getting all excited and tingly for the rest of the story. I can feel the suspense building and I was nearly on the the edge of my seat at the last scene in the inn.

EDIT: I hate Cat so much, she's such a bitch. But I have to admit, she does kick off a very large part of the story with her craziness.

Bunny
05-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Finally a good shot of Ghost.

I'm glad they're advancing Dany's character to the point where she grows stronger every episode. I know a lot of people who were pretty disappointed with her character in the beginning but she's developed into a pretty interesting character so far. Viserys can still die in a fire for all that's worth though. Vaes Dothrak and the Dothraki Sea kinda disappointed me, as I pictured it (and it was written) as being flat, not as mountainous as it was. But.. oh well, that's only a minor detail.

Jon's entire story continues to build pretty solidly, and the introduction of Samwell was handled nicely as well. Though I pictured him to look more like Augustus Gloop (Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory) than how he looks in the show, the actor did a fine job being a fat coward.

The intrigue in King's Landing is probably my least favorite of the major plotlines so far (minus Arya, of course). It just seems to move a lot slower than the rest of the areas.

NorthernChaosGod
05-09-2011, 06:55 PM
Samwell is actually much worse looking than I had pictured him to be, it's kind of funny. I think his character was handled pretty well though, so that's good.

I agree about Dany, I fucking loved it when she hit Viserys. Fuck that little :bou::bou::bou::bou:, I can't fair for him to get his. And I'm really excited to see how much she continues to grow.

Psychotic
05-09-2011, 07:35 PM

I bet you smell of blackberry jam. Come here, let me smell you.

escobert
05-09-2011, 10:02 PM
I enjoyed the bits with Samwell. I think I need to re watch the episodes so far since I usually have a room full of drunks while I watch it.

Cuchulainn
05-10-2011, 12:57 PM
I LIKED THE FAT KID

Kaie
05-12-2011, 02:36 PM
What an annoying piece of slime, that Viserys.

I really enjoyed it when Dany smacked him, as well as when he was made to walk the last episode :jess:

escobert
05-16-2011, 02:59 AM
Finally some action! :D

Freya
05-16-2011, 04:36 AM
HAHA GAY SCENES! :D

McLovin'
05-16-2011, 05:49 AM
Best episode so far.

Bunny
05-16-2011, 06:19 AM
Good episode.

They still haven't mastered pacing though, which is pretty bad for such a large show after half the season. The entire scene between Loras and Renly was absolutely pointless, serving no purpose but to set up intrigue for the second book/series. It also felt incredibly awkward, since the actors don't really have any chemistry.

Freya
05-16-2011, 07:04 AM
It was a lovely scene Bunny, It was Lovely. :colbert:

NorthernChaosGod
05-16-2011, 08:24 AM
Unless I've forgotten, Renly and Loras weren't openly gay like that. Wtf is that in there? And seriously... shaving? :|

The show is picking up some damn steam and it's pretty nice because it's about time things start getting heated. Am I the only one that started thinking "Go Boromir!" at the end? :p

Bunny
05-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Unless I've forgotten, Renly and Loras weren't openly gay like that. Wtf is that in there? And seriously... shaving?

I don't even remember reading anything about them having any relationship at all. It might have been implied on a small scale, but nothing so extreme as what was portrayed in the episode.

Shaving is very sensual. I have at least four orgasms every time I shave.

NorthernChaosGod
05-16-2011, 05:39 PM
I'm going back to nitpicking for a bit. I know Loras is the Knight of Flowers, but he looks like he can hardly lift a sword properly, let alone swing it with skill. Renly seems to come off more like a bitch too after this episode.

Lysa already comes off like a crazy bitch, which is wonderful because she is one. Robert Arryn seems about on par for his character as well.

The last scene of the episode was great. I can get behind the changes to the story.

Raistlin
05-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Cat reveals more insanity. After Tyrion saves her life instead of easily making an escape, she still is absolutely sure he's guilty with no actual evidence. And then she takes him to her sister, who is even crazier and believes Tyrion is the cause of all evil in the world. It must run in the family.

And it still pisses me off that Ned took the blame for it. She's too stupid to be protected.

Freya
05-16-2011, 06:54 PM
George RR Martin Confirmed it a long time ago that Loras and Renly are gay. I think I remember Stannis Making a comment about it somewhere too. I think they made him whiny for development reasons though. And I think it set up that he could be a king too if he wanted.

NorthernChaosGod
05-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Cat reveals more insanity. After Tyrion saves her life instead of easily making an escape, she still is absolutely sure he's guilty with no actual evidence. And then she takes him to her sister, who is even crazier and believes Tyrion is the cause of all evil in the world. It must run in the family.

And it still pisses me off that Ned took the blame for it. She's too stupid to be protected.
A million times this. I loved Ned, he was a very good man. Fucking Tullys just ruin things.

George RR Martin Confirmed it a long time ago that Loras and Renly are gay. I think I remember Stannis Making a comment about it somewhere too. I think they made him whiny for development reasons though. And I think it set up that he could be a king too if he wanted.

No one is saying they're not gay, we know they are. At the point in the first book they are at, they weren't having "intimate" moments with each other.

Bunny
05-16-2011, 09:10 PM

My problem isn't that they are gay, or that Renly is a whiny snob. It's that the books don't throw it in your face like the show does. I understand they need to change certain aspects of the books in order to fit the medium of television, and to reach a wider range of audiences, but the scene was just pointless in its presentation and flawed in its execution. Subtlety has its uses, even in things like this.

escobert
05-16-2011, 09:49 PM
My friends and I said"ok cig break" when we saw the shaving begin xD

Iceglow
05-16-2011, 10:27 PM
Little Fingers comment in the tournament of the hand was the first hint of the relationship between Renly and Loras Tyrell. I guess for a HBO series they felt that hiding the gay relationship behind snide remarks and smoke screens would possibly be more offensive to the gay fans of the show than the outright open gay relationship that they're depicting.

Cuchulainn
05-16-2011, 10:43 PM
Strange how everyone is outraged by an off screen blow but are fine with full frontal nudity with 2 straight people. Why couldn't it of been Lilly Allen. I'd pay money for that. You questions should be inward not outward.

Bunny
05-16-2011, 11:07 PM
Outraged?

Iceglow
05-16-2011, 11:12 PM
I think it's because in the books it's not openly stated like that. The people "outraged" are going on about the books being discrete when the show isn't. As for the uninformed fox news esque viewer being enraged by the off screen oral stimulation of another man's penis to them I just have to say, Danerys if they'd left her character alone and not aged her up is 14 or so. 14 or so and getting fucked on all fours by a Dothraki Khal. Oh and molested by her elder brother. Also Jaime Lannister is fucking his own twin sister on all fours like the bitch that she is and then proceeds to throw a 10 year old boy off a castle tower to try and hide the fact. Oh and I can't wait until they start getting to the parts of the series where there are several rapes including young girls and boys all witnessed by key characters of the books.

escobert
05-16-2011, 11:33 PM
Strange how everyone is outraged by an off screen blow but are fine with full frontal nudity with 2 straight people. Why couldn't it of been Lilly Allen. I'd pay money for that. You questions should be inward not outward.
I'm pretty sure I see a penis everyday. However, I do not see men shaving each other everyday.

NorthernChaosGod
05-17-2011, 01:43 AM
Little Fingers comment in the tournament of the hand was the first hint of the relationship between Renly and Loras Tyrell. I guess for a HBO series they felt that hiding the gay relationship behind snide remarks and smoke screens would possibly be more offensive to the gay fans of the show than the outright open gay relationship that they're depicting.
I actually liked the snide comment, I thought it was cleverly done and hinted enough at the relationship.

Subtle is fucking great, I do not need to be beaten over the head with their relationship.

Iceglow
05-17-2011, 09:05 AM
I didn't say I didn't like the snide remarks and smokescreens either Julian be careful how you interpret me :P

I did say however it's probably done for the "sensitivities" of gay rights campaigners who would probably go off on one if they didn't include the relationship between Renly and Loras as openly as they've gone for. If Danerys, Cersei, Rosa and other women can be fucked on screen repeatedly then why not Renly and Loras? At least thats how the douchebags who over-react to everything that might just contain some inclination that homosexuality is slightly less acceptable than heterosexuality would see it. So to keep these fringe groups and campaigners happy we have an openly homosexual relationship between Loras and Renly with some sexual scenes to it. Small compromise if you ask me, heterosexual sex scenes are still far more prevalent than homosexual ones and in far more graphic nudity.

NorthernChaosGod
05-17-2011, 08:07 PM
I didn't think you didn't like it, I was just going off what you said.

Psychotic
05-17-2011, 09:16 PM
Writer A: We need to show affection between two characters, how can we do it?
Writer B: I know! We'll have one shave the other one's nipples!

:erm:

Would've been a lot less awkward just to have the two of them going at it like rabbits.

also I think the King is possibly my favourite character. What a crazy fat bastard. I love him.

escobert
05-17-2011, 09:57 PM
The king and the dwarf make me lol lots. However, I can't help but like Lord Stark and his bastard son (can't remember his name)

Bunny
05-17-2011, 10:02 PM
Jon Snow.

Roogle
05-17-2011, 10:06 PM
I don't even remember reading anything about them having any relationship at all. It might have been implied on a small scale, but nothing so extreme as what was portrayed in the episode.

Okay. I was unsure if I missed something when I read the original Game of Thrones a couple of years ago or if they took a small implication and went to town with it to show how edgy they can be. I thought the scene was a bit awkwardly paced, personally.

NorthernChaosGod
05-17-2011, 11:04 PM
also I think the King is possibly my favourite character. What a crazy fat bastard. I love him.

Going off that, I thought the scene between Cersei and Robert was really well done. I even felt a little bad for Cersei as they talked about Lyanna.

Carl the Llama
05-17-2011, 11:29 PM

Okay. I was unsure if I missed something when I read the original Game of Thrones a couple of years ago or if they took a small implication and went to town with it to show how edgy they can be. I thought the scene was a bit awkwardly paced, personally.

This is the reason I have been rereading the books, so I can compare the source material and the show, also completely off topic but... didn't Renly have curly hair? I seem to remember him being described as having curly hair for some reason.

I too also thought the scene between Cersei and Robert was really well done too, the look in Robert's eyes at the end was memorable, its like he (the actor) was really upset and conveyed that through his character superbly.

4.5/5 for this episode.

Psychotic
05-18-2011, 05:54 PM

Going off that, I thought the scene between Cersei and Robert was really well done. I even felt a little bad for Cersei as they talked about Lyanna.Yeah, I agree with you, that was an incredible scene.

LunarWeaver
05-19-2011, 10:41 PM
I've never read the books or even heard of them before this show started up because I'm uncultured or something, but I'm enjoying it a lot. I wish I had waited until it was totally finished! I plowed through all the episodes aired and now I'm too spoiled for the TV wait. I didn't think I would enjoy a show that follows so many people, but it does a good job of making me like them all. Er, or at least appreciate their place in what's happening. Though I did have to peek into Wikipedia once for a name refresher and how they are spelled. I was just calling the queen Kate Winslet for a while.

They talked about the apparently more obvious gay relationship here a bit (http://www.afterelton.com/tv/2011/01/gays-game-of-thrones-series-george-martin), for anyone who might care what the author is saying. I wouldn't have minded either way, personally. Shave and slurp, subtle, none at all, whatever.

NorthernChaosGod
05-20-2011, 12:36 AM
That doesn't really provide an adequate explanation for the it being thrust in our faces like that. Whatever, I just hope they don't try and play something that ham-handed again.

Cuchulainn
05-20-2011, 01:37 AM
That doesn't really provide an adequate explanation for the it being thrust in our faces like that. Whatever, I just hope they don't try and play something that ham-handed again.

lool ham-handed.

Freya
05-20-2011, 03:50 AM
If you're watching it online, you lot will probably get to see episode 6 and 7 on sunday. HBO has this thing called HBOGO and to get people to use it, those who have it get 6 and 7 sunday while us tv watches only get 6. So knowing the internet, the internet will get both.

Freya
05-23-2011, 03:16 AM
The slap of Cersei was well timed. I love Tyrion heh. Sansa needs to be shot. And the Golden Crown moment was sad. :( Viserys was just a jealous jerk. And then he was all relieved when they said they'd finally do something for him. Then they go and "crown" him :/

BUT wtf HBO don't tell me "go to this site now to see the next epsiode!" without having the bandwidth to support it. I wanna see episode 7 :mad2:

Carl the Llama
05-23-2011, 05:19 AM
Just watched the Golden Crown, thought it was FUCKING AWESOME!

Great episode!

Bunny
05-23-2011, 07:17 AM
Every episode tops the last in sheer entertainment value. The crowning scene was awesome, almost exactly as I pictured it, but I was hoping Drogo would put the pot on his head as well, just for that extra kick. I guess seeing the burnt face and solid gold crown works just as well though. Glad we're done with that blonde twit.

The rest of the episode was pretty good and it's building up an incredible amount of steam for the end of the season, which is good. I do wonder how they're going to do the dragons at the end and through the next season. Hopefully they don't look terrible, though they probably won't since the budget is big enough.

NorthernChaosGod
05-23-2011, 07:53 AM
Finally Viserys gets his crown. :monster: The entitled little prick.

Things are getting pretty intense now. Ned's moment of realization and his judgement of Gregor will kick things off nicely in the coming episodes.

escobert
05-23-2011, 11:58 AM
The Golden Crown was awesome, I loved the trial and fight, that little midget makes me lol. I miss Jon Snow however they need to get back to whats going on with him!

Carl the Llama
05-23-2011, 12:34 PM
The Golden Crown was awesome, I loved the trial and fight, that little midget makes me lol. I miss Jon Snow however they need to get back to whats going on with him!

There will be plenty of Snow in the next episode, I have been rereading the books and next weeks episode promises to very entertaining ^^

McLovin'
05-23-2011, 04:58 PM
The Golden Crown was great.
You Win or You Die had some pretty intense scenes. So much happened in one episode!

Psychotic
05-23-2011, 05:16 PM
that little midget makes me lol.*casually tosses sack of gold* A Lannister always pays his debts. :smug:

what a beast.

Freya
05-23-2011, 06:20 PM
Just watched Episode 7. I knew what was going to happen at the end and I still gasped and said “OMG” haha. I fucking love this show/story.

NorthernChaosGod
05-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Man, just watched episode 7. Poor Ned. :(

We have spoiler tags for a reason, and I know you'd :bou::bou::bou::bou: your pants if someone didn't use them. -G13

I would never :bou::bou::bou::bou: my pants if someone didn't use them, because I would avoid threads where spoilers were obvious.

escobert
05-23-2011, 09:38 PM
stfu not all of us have read the books or seen 7 yet :mad2:

NorthernChaosGod
05-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Go watch it.

escobert
05-23-2011, 09:56 PM
No it will ruin my Sunday night when my friends and I all get together to watch it.

Bunny
05-23-2011, 10:49 PM
Go watch it.

Give me access to your HBO Go account so I can.

NorthernChaosGod
05-23-2011, 11:25 PM
I pirated it.

Bunny
05-23-2011, 11:37 PM
Then PM me a link, dur.

Marshall Banana
05-24-2011, 05:27 AM
Geez, you guys! Spoilers abound.

Luckily, I love spoilers, so I already know a lot of stuff that will happen in the coming episodes, plus I've watched episodes one through six, but, you know, not everyone does. A mod should put spoiler tags in some of these posts. I had to click away from this thread before Jeremy could see.

Carl the Llama
05-24-2011, 07:52 AM
<TABLE border="4" bordercolor="White" bgcolor="black" cellpadding="4">
<TR><TD bordercolor="blue">I think its pretty safe to assume that if its been seen on the show then its fair game to talk about it in the thread, after all we are discussing our thoughts of the show, my advice to those of you who have now yet watched the show is not to enter this thread until you have seen the latest episode.

Those of you with no access to the show should check out IceFilms.info - Quality DivX TV & Movies (http://www.icefilms.info) unlike the many many sites out there that claim to enable you to stream movies/tv series, this one is actually legit, as Melly or someone in #eoff whos name I cannot remember can tell you, they also have their own facebook page if you doubt my words. If you wish help setting it up then feel free to ask me in a PM.</table>

NorthernChaosGod
05-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Yeah, I avoid the thread until I've finished watching the latest episode.

Marshall Banana
05-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Not everyone is on the same episode, though, so "been seen" by who?

NorthernChaosGod
05-24-2011, 08:56 AM
Well it is a thread about the show, it kind of would make sense that there will be spoilers after a new episode.

G13
05-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Use the spoiler tags anyways, that's what they are there for.

Marshall Banana
05-24-2011, 05:57 PM
The show is brand new and currently running, so hiding big happenings in spoiler tags makes a whole lot more sense! :expee:

Rantz
05-24-2011, 06:07 PM
The above two posts should be enough, but just in case it's not clear: use spoiler tags for spoilers! It's simple enough to do that there shouldn't be any need for an argument.

Psychotic
05-24-2011, 07:32 PM
It's a spoiler until it's been broadcast on TV. Episode 7 is presently included in that. Once it's been shown on Sunday night, go crazy. The content of the books, of course, will always be spoilers in this thread.

Speaking of Episode 7, god damn son. God damn. :bou::bou::bou::bou: be ker-azy yo. The show had a really slow start and I wasn't really sure I was going to like it other than Boromir, swords and titties, but I'm now sucked in.

Marshall Banana
05-24-2011, 10:59 PM
Are you trolling me? I will kill you.

I am a dragon.

I waited a long time for that dude to die.

Miriel
05-25-2011, 12:33 AM
Aww, I kinda liked the Targaryen dude. He's a better crazy evil villain than the Malfoy-esque Lannister kid, Creepy breastfeeding Mom lady, the incest twins, or big bloated King Robert. Plus, the actor who plays him was really great I think. That look of pure abashed relief after his sister told him what he wanted to hear was so genuine. Great stuff.

Boromir is kinda pissing me off though. Way is he so passive? Seems his daughter is going to end up being more badass than he is.

NorthernChaosGod
05-25-2011, 01:36 AM
Robert isn't a villain. >:[

escobert
05-25-2011, 02:47 AM
Yeah, I haven't had the feeling yet that he was a bad man or anything. Just a drunk warrior who got to be king.

Bunny
05-25-2011, 02:49 AM
I've always viewed Viserys as Martin's Snidely Whiplash. He's too over-the-top to be a serious villain with anything resembling a chance at accomplishing what he desires.

Raistlin
05-25-2011, 04:25 AM
As has been said, Robert is no villain. He is basically a fatter, much dumber version of Tyrion -- and by that I mean he's hilarious. RIP, fat man. :(

Also, Viserys is too stupid and pathetic to be a villain. And Arya already is more badass than most people.

The golden crown scene and Dany's proclamation that the dragon cannot be harmed by fire was badass. And then the Khal getting pissed off in the next episode. That subplot is way more interesting in the show than in the books.

Miriel
05-25-2011, 04:38 AM
Robert isn't a villain. >:[

He let the puppy be killed. Loathesome villain imho.

Bunny
05-25-2011, 04:57 AM
And then the Khal getting pissed off in the next episode. That subplot is way more interesting in the show than in the books.

God, that fucking speech was incredible. Momoa is doing a pretty fantastic job of being Drogo.

NorthernChaosGod
05-25-2011, 06:08 AM
And then the Khal getting pissed off in the next episode. That subplot is way more interesting in the show than in the books.

God, that fucking speech was incredible. Momoa is doing a pretty fantastic job of being Drogo.
That? It was fucking brilliant. That man is a fucking beast.

Miriel
05-25-2011, 01:29 PM
My thoughts on the characters so far...

King Robert: Fat, drunken, misogynist, coward. Puppy killer.
Cersei Lannister: Arrogant, condescending, whines too much about the ex-girlfriend. Puppy killer.
Joffrey: Sociopathic dickwad. Puppy killer.
Sansa: Idiot girl. Let her own puppy get killed.
Littlefinger: Comes off as a pedo who likes to boink little boys. Slimy.
Jaime Lannister: Totally hot. But what the smurf does he see in his sister? All she does is whine.
Tyrion Lannister: Best character on the show.
Eddard Stark: Seems almost too dumb to function. Seems like he's sleepwalking through this :bou::bou::bou::bou:. Hello! Wake up and play the game. GOD.
Jon Snow: I like it when he smiles. I don't like his bitch face, which he wear quite often.
Arya: Badass. Love her.
Catelyn Stark: Smarter than her husband, but not by much apparently.
Daenerys Targaryen: She has pretty eyes.
Viserys Targaryen: Loony, but so fun to watch!
Theon Greyjoy: Dickwad. Totally a rapist.
Khal Drogo: Another rapist! Don't buy the whole, rape-y McRape-erson turned I <3 you!! ^_^ transformation. But whatever, he's hot too.

LMAO, just came across this: Stupid Ned Stark (http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/introducing-stupid-ned-stark). A bit spoilery if you haven't caught up on the episodes.

Psychotic
05-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Miriel, throughout the 9 or so years of our membership of this forum, I have respected your opinion. Until today. King Robert is and forever will be an almighty god damn crazy hero and any bad word you say against him is simply wrong :colbert:

Raistlin
05-25-2011, 07:30 PM
... Did someone just suggest that Cat Stark is smarter than anyone? Ned Stark is an obliviously honorable guy and has no idea or interest in playing the game, but at least he doesn't pull :bou::bou::bou::bou: like kidnapping a Lannister with no evidence and be convinced of his guilt beyond all reason. The only person she may possibly be smarter than is her sister, who adds bat:bou::bou::bou::bou: insanity onto her stupidity. It must run in the family.

Carl the Llama
05-30-2011, 03:00 PM
<TABLE border="4"bordercolor="white"bgcolor="navy"cellpadding="4"><TR><TD bordercolor="blue">Just watched the latest episode, the whole King's Landing affair really pisses me off, I really cant stand Joff, so the way I see it is Sansa (who I detest) and Joffery (who lets face it is an all around :bou::bou::bou::bou: and little :bou::bou::bou::bou:) deserve each other, little warmth do I get that I know what happens between these 2, I just want to see that happen now rather then later.</table>

escobert
05-30-2011, 03:02 PM
there was a girl at my house who wouldn't stop talking so I could hardly hear anything in episode 7 :mad2:

Slothy
05-30-2011, 03:48 PM
there was a girl at my house who wouldn't stop talking so I could hardly hear anything in episode 7 :mad2:

Not that I normally encourage violence against women, but I probably would have hit her until she stopped if she was interrupting my watching this show.

Psychotic
06-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Well look at Robb being all badman and going off to war. The odds are against him but there seems to be something about him - a raw natural talent, as it were - that might see him triumph yet.
ittle warmth do I get that I know what happens between these 2, I just want to see that happen now rather then later.Also, please don't post little hints like this!

Iceglow
06-06-2011, 05:38 PM
People need to realize, Robert I believe never meant to be the king, when he led his rebellion against Aerys he had no real choice, his life was forfeit if he didn't as was Ned Starks. However Stark was the ideal choice for king, a noble, honorable man who would never stoop so low as to get sucked in to the mire and the mud. However Robert was the natural leader, men loved him. Robert is like the great general, the man you want in charge of your army. In his youth Robert was a mighty man, a great big bear who with his war hammer could smash through knights like they were kindling for a fire. Because the men followed Robert they'd never have accepted him fighting his war and winning only to pass the throne to Stark. In the books and it's skimmed over briefly in the series by this point too, when Aerys was murdered by Jaime Lannister he had the city gates opened to his fathers men. Tywin Lannister sacked the city, killing the princess and murdering the children of Aerys what remained in the city. Robert hearing that Kings Landing had fallen sent Ned Stark to Kings Landing to determine the situation whilst he readied what was left of their forces in preparation to fight the Lannisters if need be. On his arrival in the city Ned found Jaime Lannister upon the Iron Throne and commanded him to get off it, on pain of death. Tywin actually offered to accept Ned Stark as king, knowing perhaps if he executed his original plan to take the throne he would be crushed by Baratheon. If Stark took it however Robert would be calmed. Perhaps Tywin believed he could manipulate the Starks more. Ned refused out of honor and loyalty to his friend and brother in arms Robert. He was not meant to be king in his opinion, he was not meant to rule. He was a soldier fighting a war to avenge his father and brother and so that he and his remaining brother Benjen Stark might live. Robert was the natural leader, the man meant for the throne and so he let Robert take it. I believe as is pointed out in the numerous discussions between Robert and Ned about it, Roberts initial idea was to place Ned upon the Iron Throne so he had the power and responsibility of being king because he was right Ned would have hated it and in hating the power and responsibility he would have been a better king for it. Tywin Lannister had no real choice in the matter, though in effort to placate the Lannisters Jon Arryn lord of The Vale and guardian to both Robert and Ned suggested the marriage of Cersei Lannister to Robert. Since Tywin had sacked Kings Landing and could have laid claim to the throne, as could his son Jaime and indeed Ned Stark even Arryn thought that a marriage between Baratheon and Lannister would put the schism between the two houses in the past. It would have done so too if Robert had not still been deeply in love with Lyanna Stark. He never truly got over the death of Lyanna and so never truly accepted his wife Cersei who initially had loved him. This is where all the troubles really began. If after the battle of the Trident where Robert smashed Rhaegar effectively winning the war Ned had been proclaimed king none of this would have happened.

Also Paul, trust me on this:

Robb Stark is a fucking badman and a totally fucking awesome general.

escobert
06-06-2011, 09:55 PM

Not that I normally encourage violence against women, but I probably would have hit her until she stopped if she was interrupting my watching this show.

Well she's now my girlfriend and, she was quiet this week xD
I just keep loving this show more an more, they're starting to get the right balance of fighting and action against talking and drama and such.

NorthernChaosGod
06-06-2011, 10:09 PM
"The First Sword of Braavos does not run"
Syrio continues to be a badass. :jess: I was really looking forward to this scene and I think they played it wonderfully.

And check out Robb being a bad motherfucker. I can't wait to see some of the fighting that comes of this war. :D

Ouch!
06-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Frankly Steve, I don't know where you got half of the information you did about all that. Robert had every intention of becoming king when he declared war against the Targaryens. Certainly his motivations were not to usurp the throne on the sole merit of assuming the crown, but it is discussed that his claim was to some degree legitimate since the Baratheons have Targaryen blood (through Robert's grandmother, I believe). He never meant to place Ned on the throne.

Nowhere is it stated that Tywin meant to assume the crown when he sacked King's Landing. He had his own grudges against the Targaryens mostly involving Jaime's ascendance to the Kingsguard, which was meant as a slight against Tywin by King Aerys in that it deprived him of his preferred heir, which is discussed in depth as the series progresses. His late entrance to the war was him merely choosing the winning side, and it is stated multiple times that Tywin only decided to turn on King Aerys after Rhaegar was slain at the Trident (which was the deciding victory in the war).

Tywin would further have less use for Eddard as king than Robert besides. Eddard was already married, whereas Robert provided the opportunity for Tywin to become the grandfather of kings through Cersei. Similarly, to what purpose who he assume the throne himself? His heir is a dwarf he despises. His preferred son, as already mentioned, has forsworn his family name and rights.

You're just complicating things, Steve.

(Last nights episode was awesome, btw).

escobert
06-07-2011, 02:01 AM
"The First Sword of Braavos does not run"
Syrio continues to be a badass. :jess: I was really looking forward to this scene and I think they played it wonderfully.

Yes! that scene was awesome

ShunNakamura
06-07-2011, 03:03 AM
I think Iceglow may be talking about when Robert Tells Ned

". . . What have you done to me? You were the one should have been king, you or Jon."

Not sure but I seem to recall the sentiment coming forth on another occasion as well. Long story short even Robert himself doesn't feel he is well suited to kingship or that he makes a very great king(though better than Aerys certainly).

Ouch!
06-07-2011, 03:22 AM
Robert acknowledges that Ned would make a better ruler; that does not mean that he ever planned for Ned to be king.

Throughout Game of Thrones, Robert constantly expresses his displeasure at being king. I understood it mostly to be a man looking back at his decisions as a youth and regretting them. He never put an awful lot of thought into what winning the crown meant. He wanted revenge. Revenge for Brandon and Rickard Stark and revenge for Lyanna.

Freya
06-07-2011, 05:29 AM
This episode was awesome. You know why it was probably the best so far? GRRM himself wrote it xD WHICH like in the book they didn't show if syrio actually died or not. So that is still in the air. Damn you GRRM!

ShunNakamura
06-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Robert acknowledges that Ned would make a better ruler; that does not mean that he ever planned for Ned to be king.

Throughout Game of Thrones, Robert constantly expresses his displeasure at being king. I understood it mostly to be a man looking back at his decisions as a youth and regretting them. He never put an awful lot of thought into what winning the crown meant. He wanted revenge. Revenge for Brandon and Rickard Stark and revenge for Lyanna.
I know that I am just stating that that is likely where Iceglow's comment came from :roll2

Ouch!
06-07-2011, 03:56 PM
He extrapolated an awful lot about Tywin's imaginary motivations from offhanded comments from Robert to Ned then. Then again, this is Steve.

Madonna
06-09-2011, 06:01 AM
All the Starks seem to exist solely to infuriate me. Well, except Rob. And Jon.

For a show that includes a lot of tits and ass, I am surprised the looting/pillaging scenes did not show much skin. I thought Drogo's warriors were about to have tea parties with their captives and slaves by how tame everything was. Drogo himself is a beast and should be emulated by all people.

Ouch!
06-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Arya and Bran become more and more awesome as the series progresses. I wish I could say the same for Sansa. And Rickon? Well, he's four.

NorthernChaosGod
06-11-2011, 12:38 AM
Sansa is awful in the books as well, didn't really expect much out of her.

Bunny
06-11-2011, 01:18 AM
I actually like book Sansa.

NorthernChaosGod
06-11-2011, 12:17 PM
I like book Sansa after a couple books, she finally gets some growth. Not right away though.

Ouch!
06-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Sansa's character frustrates me because she's always passive. It's almost impossible to pull off a passive protagonist, and throughout the books Sansa is constantly being shoved around by other people. She almost never does anything for herself, and it just gets annoying. She's constantly a point of view whose primary purpose is to show more interesting characters (like Davos is to Melisandre and Stannis, but worse). She's finally getting set up to do some interesting stuff, but she just annoys the balls out of me.

ShunNakamura
06-12-2011, 01:33 AM
Yeah Sansa is a growing character who becomes more 'worthy' as time goes on. Still doesn't keep her from annoying the galoshes off of me when you view it overall. So I suppose you can say I like her, but she certainly has made me want to strangler her on several occasions. . .

Though I am surprised Robb hasn't annoyed lynx. . . I can think of a few places where he had me wanting to smack him about. Honestly pretty much every character has annoyed me at some point or another. Damn them and being human!

Freya
06-13-2011, 04:50 AM
I figured they were going to save that for the finale but I guess not! Twitter is blowing up in outrage. My mother declared that she's done with the show now. xD

Also this picture cracked me up, hipster Bronn

http://i53.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/znoivo.gif

McLovin'
06-13-2011, 06:50 AM
That was the one of the most amazing episodes of any TV show I've ever seen. the smurfing ending...wow. Completely insane. They totally humiliated Ned's character. He was trying to save his daughters and gave up honor for that but then they just totally efed him. So sad. That episode was a definite 10/10.

NorthernChaosGod
06-13-2011, 10:05 AM
The Starks can't catch a break. :(

Ouch!
06-13-2011, 05:52 PM
I'll be watching last night's episode as soon as my family gets all the account information for Comcast all sorted out so that I can use HBOGO again, but in the mean time: Please, Please George (http://dinosaurfeathers.bandcamp.com). ADWD is done now obviously, but still funny.

Edit: Got HBOGO running and watched "Baelor." Oh man, I knew it was coming and it was still awesome.

Psychotic
06-13-2011, 07:19 PM
What! :zombert:

WHAT! :colbert:

I refuse to believe this. :doublecolbert:

Was so sure there was going to be a "STOOOOOOOP! They have Jamie" moment. :mymelbert:

NorthernChaosGod
06-13-2011, 09:03 PM
What! :zombert:

WHAT! :colbert:

I refuse to believe this. :doublecolbert:

Was so sure there was going to be a "STOOOOOOOP! They have Jamie" moment. :mymelbert:
Well, everyone did try to stop him. He's just a :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Ouch!
06-13-2011, 09:46 PM
I understand that it would have been very difficult to pull off, but I feel as though that the series has missed on major plot point from the books. We saw none of Eddard's musings in the black cells which are crucial to the theory that Jon Snow is, in fact, the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark. Eddard's fever dreams about the Tower of Joy and Lyanna's dying wish are very important pieces to that puzzle. I know not everyone is convinced by the theory, but after Martin announced publicly that Howland Reed (the only living person who knows of what truly happened at the Tower of Joy) will never have a POV chapter because he knows too much, I consider that almost all the proof I need. For additional discussion of possible theories of Jon's parentage, and more evidence than you could ever need, I refer you to The Tower of the Hand. (http://towerofthehand.com/essays/chrisholden/jon_snows_parents.html) Note spoilers are mostly for AGOT, but there's also a few supporting passages through ASOS.

I mean, it's hardly something that they can't still reveal much later down the road should the series continue to get renewed. It's just going to be lacking all the groundwork that makes it such a great twist. I mean, I was expecting it since dreams and internal monologues are always difficult to pull off well in a visual medium, but I'm just disappointed because it is something so deftly done in the books.

Bunny
06-13-2011, 10:19 PM
The scene between Shae, Bronn, and Tyrion was too long.

Ouch!
06-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Shae is probably the first character who I feel has been poorly cast. Or maybe it's not quite that; maybe it's that she's poorly written? I guess they're trying to make more out of her than there was in the books, especially with her refusal to discuss anything about her parents. She's far meaner than I ever imagined her.

Bunny
06-13-2011, 11:08 PM
I think the writers are trying to give her more of a presence in the scenes containing Tyrion in an attempt to make her a stronger, more important character. In the books, even with her relationship to Tyrion, she's a pretty insignificant person who does almost nothing to move the plot along. Until ASOS that is, though even then her role is pretty small.

Walder Frey's casting, on the other hand, was pretty well done.

Carl the Llama
06-14-2011, 12:40 AM
I both loved and hated this episode, its all starting to come together, poor poor Ned and Arya, I have little (almost no) sorrow for Sansa considering it was she who brought about this whole thing, dumb bitch, I also thought Daenarys part in todays episode was awesome, the sounds that came from that tent were awesome, and I love how dominant she was :smug: on the whole if it weren't for all the bad things happening I would probably totally love the whole episode, it definitely is the best episode of the series so far, it just keeps going from strength to strength.

Does anyone know if HBO has agreed to a second series yet, I would be very surprised if they didn't this series has over 900,000 views on the site I watch it on.

Raistlin
06-14-2011, 01:10 AM
My sole consolation is that both Sansa and Cersei get what they deserve. Bitches.

Ouch!
06-14-2011, 01:16 AM
The series was renewed for a second season the day after the first episode aired. They begin filming next month.

Bunny
06-14-2011, 01:16 AM
It was renewed after the first episode.

Carl the Llama
06-14-2011, 02:45 AM
The series was renewed for a second season the day after the first episode aired. They begin filming next month.

Fuck Yeah!!! oh and this isn't good news, its fucking great news, Clash of Kings is infinitely better then Game of Thrones in my opinion.

I seriously cannot wait to see what the dragons will look like, Daenarys is definitely my joint favourite character along with Arya, and on that note, I stopped reading the book, but I don't remember Arya being there when they fucked Ned up... is it just my memory or did they actually change that?

Ouch!
06-14-2011, 02:54 AM
Arya was there in the crowd.

McLovin'
06-14-2011, 06:35 AM
The scene between Shae, Bronn, and Tyrion was too long.

was worth it for the intrigue and humor.

Shlup
06-16-2011, 11:59 PM
I hate this thread because I want to talk about this tit so bad but I am three episodes behind and 2/3 through the first book and I know all you assholes are going to spoil me. Grrrrrrr.

NorthernChaosGod
06-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Read faster! >:[

Freya
06-17-2011, 07:59 PM
I found funny parodies of the episodes.

YouTube - &#x202a;A Game Of Thrones Parody: Episode 1 - Season 1&#x202c;&rlm; (http://youtu.be/ajMzpiyZ4GA)

Shlup
06-17-2011, 08:03 PM

It's too complicated to read fast! So many freaking names. xP

Marshall Banana
06-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Game of Thrones marathon tomorrow! Muahaha!

NorthernChaosGod
06-18-2011, 01:30 AM

It's too complicated to read fast! So many freaking names. xP
It's not that complicated. :nonono: Read better, then.

Shlup
06-18-2011, 01:35 AM
I'm a slow reader regardless. :whimper:

I will say, though, that I am more and more Team Daenerys with each passing chapter/episode.

NorthernChaosGod
06-18-2011, 01:41 AM
Awwwww, there there. :snuggle:

Team Stark all the way.

Shlup
06-18-2011, 01:53 AM
I'm Team Stark too. I'm both.

Fucking deal with it.

NorthernChaosGod
06-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Make me. :colbert:

Araciel
06-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Lesson is don't compromise your honour... It doesn't pay off anyway.

Ouch!
06-20-2011, 03:21 AM
I love this show. So. Much.

Freya
06-20-2011, 05:53 AM
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Now I have to wait a whole year :( The dragons look better than I thought they would. Go new tech to make em look cool!

Also, Gorgeous Image of the final shot.
http://ewinsidetv.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/got-finale-dragon.jpg?w=508&h=409

Carl the Llama
06-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Well I just watched the last episode for this year, I gotta say this has been one of the best series I have ever watched, AND its my least favourite book too, it was fucking awesome!

ROLL ON CLASH OF KINGS!!!

NorthernChaosGod
06-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Yay, Drogon. :jess:

Psychotic
06-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Well.

That sure was a naked girl with some dragons.

Araciel
06-20-2011, 06:07 PM
KING OF THE MOTHA#$$%IN NORTH

Shlup
06-20-2011, 07:14 PM
I haven't watched the last two episodes yet, but I did just finish the book sooo... WAAAHHHHH! NED! DROGO! I LOVED YOOOUUUUU! YOU CANNO TAKE SEAN BEAN FROM MEEEEEE!

Raistlin
06-21-2011, 02:10 AM
I am sad to see Drogo die in the show because his actor was so amazing. But otherwise, it leads to Dany just being more badass.

Next up in book two: more Catlyn stupidity!