PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite PC game?

GarrySmiths
03-04-2011, 06:06 AM
I like PC games. My favorite PC game is call of duty black ops. While playing this game my interest reached at the top. Please share with us what is your favorite PC game?

drotato
03-04-2011, 10:57 AM
My favorite is still the whole Dungeon Seige series. Even though they're making it for xbox now, I guess.

It was greeeaaaat. :bigsmile:

Laddy
03-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Baldur's Gate II, always and forever.

VeloZer0
03-04-2011, 12:28 PM
I'm going to guess FF7 doesn't count.

I'm not a big PC gamer. My favorite would have to be Star Craft, even though i'm not that crazy about it. I love the game, but it isn't something that I have spent a ton of time on.

Mirage
03-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Why shouldn't it count?

Vermachtnis
03-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Fallout 2, most everything I learned about gaming I learned from that game. Most importantly Save Scumming. Also if you shoot a little girl, even if it's by accident in a random encounter in the middle of the desert, everyone will know and hate you.

I replay it at least once a year.

Loony BoB
03-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Ports and all: Final Fantasy VII. I just love the game.
Exclusives only: Tie between Chuck Yeager Air Combat and Civilization IV.

kotora
03-04-2011, 03:55 PM
You guys do realize you're replying to a spambot right?

anyway might as well while I'm at it. My favourite is the same as Laddy's. Fucking brilliant game.

Dreddz
03-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Deus Ex. No question.

Even including ports the PC version of FFVII isn't worth a wank. Even if it is my favourite game on the PS1 I just have no interest in playing it on the PC. And yes, that is just because of the music.

Yeargdribble
03-04-2011, 07:53 PM
This must be the brother of the guy who was trying to sell us WoW accounts a few days ago.

Laddy
03-04-2011, 09:20 PM
BGII is my fav, hands down.

But I also adore Civ IV, as well as The Might and Magic, Wizardry, Ultima, Elder Scrolls, and Bard's Tale series.

Also, Planescape Torment and Fallout 1/2.

Bunny
03-04-2011, 09:23 PM
But I also adore Civ IV, as well as The Might and Magic, Wizardry, Ultima, Elder Scrolls, and Bard's Tale series.

God dammit Laddy.

Laddy
03-04-2011, 11:00 PM
What?

Wolf Kanno
03-05-2011, 01:08 AM
I don't play many PC titles, my faves from years ago were Civilization 2, Mechcommander, Leisure Suit Larry (the original ones, not the crappy reboots we have now), and of course Empire (http://www.classicempire.com/history.html).

Jentleness
03-05-2011, 02:22 AM
You guys do realize you're replying to a spambot right?

Apparently no one cares! ^__^

With that said, my favorite PC game is Insaniquarium, although all my fish are probably horribly depressed since I haven't fed them in like a month.

escobert
03-05-2011, 03:21 AM
That's a tough one since most of the gaming I have done in my life has been on a computer. I'd say Marathon, Sim City, Guild Wars and Diablo 2.

LowCaloriePie
03-05-2011, 03:39 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf4ly5usnA1qb2fwho1_500.jpg

Roller Coaster Tycoon, all the way! <3

Shiny
03-05-2011, 04:10 AM
Hands down, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. It was a game I could put down and then go back to two years later and still enjoy it. Excellent graphics, sound, storyline was interesting, locations were cool, and the replay value was phenomenal. You could choose between thinking, fighting, or team playing which all lead to different game play, different outcomes, and even some major changes in the storyline. It was also one of the few games that I've played that I felt, could only be played on the computer and be fun. If I had to click through things with an Xbox or Playstation it would suck. Maybe I'd play it on DS, but that's it.

Intro: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET_98IcvoTI)

Honorable mentions: The Sims 2, The Sims: Hot Date (solely for that crackhead of an old lady who would some how always show up as you're getting frisky with your date), Maniac Manson, Full Throttle, Quake III Arena, Sam & Max Hit the Road, and Day of the Tentacle.

Skyblade
03-05-2011, 05:57 AM
For exclusives, I think I have to go with Master of Orion II. Man, that game was awesome. I still wish someone would do something worthwhile with that series.

Madame Adequate
03-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Toss-up between Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and Deus Ex.

escobert
03-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Full Throttle

Yes!

Chris
03-06-2011, 08:29 PM
This is my all-time favorite PC game, and I know every nook and cranny of it:

http://i55.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/207p43p.png

Jessweeee♪
03-07-2011, 06:07 AM
Oregon Trail!

here lies andy
peperony and chease

Vyk
03-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Chip's Challenge!

I like Minesweeper too

Jiro
03-08-2011, 04:16 AM
I was going to say something random, probably the Sims because that's the only game I can remember playing on PC but:

This is fucking right. Rollercoaster Tycoon is a godly game. I need to play it again.

Age of Empires is pretty fucking sweet too btw.

DMKA
03-08-2011, 04:41 PM
American McGee's Alice

Shoeberto
03-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Porbably like a........ King of hearts 2

Vyk
03-08-2011, 06:09 PM
American McGee's Alice

I just saw that they're making a sequel to that and now I so want to go back and play the original. It had my interest back in the day but I didn't have a gaming pc, or really anywhere worthwhile to buy pc games from. Now I feel like going back and trying it before the next one launches

Skyblade
03-09-2011, 06:58 AM
I was going to say something random, probably the Sims because that's the only game I can remember playing on PC but:

This is smurfing right. Rollercoaster Tycoon is a godly game. I need to play it again.

Age of Empires is pretty smurfing sweet too btw.

It was a decent enough game, except for the one little caveat that building your own roller coaster was basically impossible. The pre-built ones are likely the only ones people will enjoy. The restrictions on how exciting or intense a ride could be removed what would otherwise be one of the best parts of the game. All those cool ideas for rides just get junked because they wind up scaring customers away.

Dreddz
03-09-2011, 02:16 PM

Your the only one who has mentioned Deus Ex apart from me. Now thats depressing.

escobert
03-09-2011, 09:40 PM
My friends and I were talking about Deus Ex and how much we thought it sucked lat night :p

DMKA
03-10-2011, 05:20 PM
My friends and I were talking about Deus Ex and how much we thought it sucked lat night :p

Me and my friends were having the same conversation about a month ago. :D

Dreddz
03-10-2011, 05:46 PM
In terms of story, characters, setting, music and choice Deus Ex is still the king and its over a decade old. Way ahead of its time. Every time I get back to playing it I get sucked in all over again.

Most people that play it now take one look at the graphics and move onto another game. Any fan of Deus Ex knows its just their loss. I feel sorry for you two.

DMKA
03-10-2011, 08:19 PM
In terms of story, characters, setting, music and choice Deus Ex is still the king and its over a decade old. Way ahead of its time. Every time I get back to playing it I get sucked in all over again.

Most people that play it now take one look at the graphics and move onto another game. Any fan of Deus Ex knows its just their loss. I feel sorry for you two.

And I feel sorry for people who can't take off their nostalgia goggles. I also feel sorry for people who jump to conclusions about why I don't like something, and that people who like the same thing as them automatically hold the same views as them.

I like when people feel sorry for me though, so thanks for that.

Slothy
03-10-2011, 08:33 PM
And I feel sorry for people who can't take off their nostalgia goggles.

It's not nostalgia goggles that result in the game being considered one of the best ever made and far ahead of its time. It's because it legitimately earned the right to be held up as an example of one of the best games ever made and many of things it did have yet to be improved upon. Not saying you have to like the game, but it was most certainly as innovative and ground breaking as people claim even if it hasn't aged well in every respect.

And for the record, I only played the game a bit here and there when it first came out. The first time I got to sit down and beat it was when I bought a copy about two years ago, so it's not nostalgia that has me considering it one of the best PC games out there. It's good solid game design that still holds up today.

The only other PC games I'd add to a list of my favourites would probably be Half-Life 1 & 2, Portal, Team Fortress 2, and Starcraft. I'll also have to give some love to Alpha Centauri because it doesn't get nearly enough. It was my first time playing a Civilization style game and I still like it more than Civilization I think.

Dreddz
03-10-2011, 09:05 PM
And I feel sorry for people who can't take off their nostalgia goggles. I also feel sorry for people who jump to conclusions about why I don't like something, and that people who like the same thing as them automatically hold the same views as them.

I like when people feel sorry for me though, so thanks for that.

I wasn't trying to come off bitter about all this. Its just a game after all. Care to explain what issues you have with the game. If you can look past the graphics it holds up very well by todays standards. Interested to know why you shrug it off.

Oh and this (http://sureasshiretalk.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/deusex1.jpg). Lucky for me I already have it installed :jess:

escobert
03-10-2011, 10:20 PM
I never really had problems with the graphics since I play old games all the time :p I just couldn't get into it for whatever reason. It just didn't draw me in like say the Fallout games. I may give it a go again however.

I Took the Red Pill
03-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Civ III or Civ IV, can't choose.

blackmage_nuke
03-10-2011, 11:14 PM
Probably one of the Monkey Islands, either 2 or 3, I can't decide.

Clo
03-11-2011, 01:24 AM
I really loved Alpha Centauri. There's just something about that game that whenever I talk about it I get excited. I'M GONNA REPLAY IT WITH MULTIPLAYER SOON.

Laddy
03-11-2011, 02:09 AM
Other favs: Monkey Island series, Full Throttle, Guild Wars, Gothic series, The Sims, Facade, Planescape: Torment, Deus Ex, all Fallouts except 3, Septerra Core, Anchoronax, Realms of Arkania series, Siege of Avalon, Arcanum, Lands of Lore series, and others.

I'm rare in that I play WRPG's and JRPG's about equally.

Hollycat
03-11-2011, 02:27 AM
FREELANCER
:colbert:
^ they will back me up

Yeargdribble
03-11-2011, 04:38 AM
I'm also curious about anyone's complaints with regard to Deus Ex. I've played it fairly recently and I think it still holds up. Perhaps the nostalgia colored glasses make me ignore the flaws even now. I can't be certain my view isn't tinted by my original thoughts, but really, the game was just historically way ahead of the pack. There are just things that it demonstrably did before anyone else. It also did many things better than other games of the time by a long shot. The voice acting was pretty top notch for one of many examples.

Rostum
03-11-2011, 11:35 PM
I have a lot of favourite games for the PC, but I mainly played them in earlier years. The entire Myst series, especially Riven and Revelations; Grim Fandango; Monkey Island 2; American McGee's Alice; Final Fantasy XI; Day of the Tentacle; Kings Quest series; Starcraft 1 and 2; Warcraft 3.

I'm sure there's heaps more, but I can't think of them right at this moment.

Heath
03-30-2011, 12:07 AM
Honest to God, the PC game I had the most fun with was Dungeon Keeper. It was made by Bullfrog (remember the original Theme Park? Theme Hospital?), which came out in about 1997 and me and a few friends of mine from school were obsessed with it. I remember once my Dad had come to pick me up from a friend's house and I refused to leave until we trained a Horned Reaper up to level 10 to see if it got any additional skills (it didn't). It was basically a strategy game in which you play the bad guy and have to wreck havoc on the world by creating underground dungeons full of creatures like dragons. Great fun. Especially when you're about 7.

NeoCracker
03-30-2011, 06:26 AM
Fairly limited on the number of PC games I've played, but I always had the most fun with Septerra Core, but then again I just love my turn based RPG's. :p

kotora
03-30-2011, 12:24 PM
Fairly limited on the number of PC games I've played, but I always had the most fun with Septerra Core, but then again I just love my turn based RPG's. :p

grinding in that game was such a fucking chore though

Kossage
04-02-2011, 12:38 AM
Fallout 2. I've played through it several times, and it's still as entertaining and interesting as it was the first time I played it. :)

Crop
04-02-2011, 01:23 AM

Me and my friends were having the same conversation about a month ago. :D

Wow, what?! Deus Ex is one of my favourite games of all time, not just PC.

As for PC I'd have to say Deus Ex, with Shogun: Total War a very close second.

Flying Arrow
04-03-2011, 06:23 PM

Your the only one who has mentioned Deus Ex apart from me. Now thats depressing.

I'm going Deus Ex too. However, the other day I was talking with a friend about it about issues the game has (issues it's always had). Also I posted it in a thread a while ago - "Good games you hate". This mainly for the fact that the game can be very frustrating and clunky in certain situations, and also very brittle AI-wise.

Nevertheless, it's still a masterpiece. Almost every level is compelling and, unlike most games ever released, it actually gets better the more you play it and the farther you go into the story, discovering new routes, new tactics, gaining experience, and generally making a very customized agent (Alpha Protocol has a similar appeal, including one of the best perk systems I've seen). I also love how different augments effectively open up new paths and sections, too. My favourites are the cloak, power lifting, and super-jump/run augs. I'll go through huge swaths of the game never even being seen.

The ending(s) are all disappointing in their briefness, but the last level is fantastic and a memorable way to close out the game. Besides Shadow of the Colossus, I don't think there's a game I've played since DX that I've found as creative, clever, and generally all-around wonderful .

Rase
04-03-2011, 07:15 PM
I like PC games. My favorite PC game is call of duty black ops. While playing this game my interest reached at the top. Please share with us what is your favorite PC game?

This is my favorite post right now.

Thief 2: The Metal Age. No contest. I just found the Thief Compilation for $14 and will be playing through them all once more finally in anticipation of number four coming out sometime DON'T YOU TOY WITH MY HEART EIDOS!

It was a decent enough game, except for the one little caveat that building your own roller coaster was basically impossible. The pre-built ones are likely the only ones people will enjoy. The restrictions on how exciting or intense a ride could be removed what would otherwise be one of the best parts of the game. All those cool ideas for rides just get junked because they wind up scaring customers away.
Maybe if you suck. :colbert:

Levian
04-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Carmageddon 2
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Grim Fandango.
The Sims
Sanitarium
Worms
Colonization

Are some games I spent a lot of time on. Maybe I'll pick Sanitarium, point and click games are pretty awesome.

nirojan
04-04-2011, 09:14 PM
I was tempted to say Half-life 2 but....

The PC game I've spent the most time with and is my absolute favorite is Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos!

Hollycat
04-04-2011, 09:28 PM
http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/5/4224/atlantis1.jpg
freelancer is an rpg shooter.

NeoCracker
04-05-2011, 02:21 AM

grinding in that game was such a fucking chore though

If grinding in that game is a chore for you, stay far, far away from Digimon World 2. :

But I'm a huge Turn based fan, and I love them to death. Grinding has never bothered me all that much.

The Space Pope
04-15-2011, 08:51 AM
Civ 4, Sim City 4000, and most of the Fallout games.

I Don't Need A Name
11-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Total War games, Knights of the Old Republic, Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, Republic Commando, Portal 1&2, The Battle for Middle-Earth and The Witcher

Zevinity
11-11-2011, 11:39 PM
My favorite PC game has to be Minecraft. It's such an amazing game, even though it's such a simple concept. I can spend hours playing this game. There are a few other PC games that are worth mentioning as well, like: The Witcher 2, Team Fortress 2, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and Deus Ex. All such great games that I've spent so much time playing.

Pike
11-12-2011, 02:47 AM

This individual knows what's up.

My favorite PC game is (SURPRISE!) SMAC.

Skyblade
11-12-2011, 09:18 AM

Personally, I still prefer Master of Orion 2.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-12-2011, 12:33 PM
If you're talking PC only games, you can't do better than Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and 3. The charm, whimsy and music in those games are spot-on, and the gameplay is very engrossing and challenging. If you're talking PC games with console versions, my favourite is Psychonauts. I played it on the Xbox (though apparently the PC version is even better graphically) and from the moment I started I loved that game - the humor, storyline, music and art style were so engaging and the platforming gameplay was really fun and well-designed. I'm a huge Tim Schafer fan and I consider Psychonauts to be his best.

Pike
11-12-2011, 02:14 PM

Personally, I still prefer Master of Orion 2.

I won't lie; that's a strong contender. As is X-Com: UFO Defense.

Old Manus
11-12-2011, 02:44 PM
If Deus Ex had a final third that was as intriguing as the rest of it (and not a series of go in, shoot people, get out missions), it might have been my favourite. Instead, it's Age of Empires II.

kath_diz
11-13-2011, 10:46 AM
my favorite pc game is zuma, it's fun!!!

jimmysood
11-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Grand Theft or Need for speed is my favorite pc games every time ........

Vincent, Thunder God
11-16-2011, 07:24 PM
It saddens me that no one else has mentioned Heroes of Might and Magic or Psychonauts. :(

Probably one of the Monkey Islands, either 2 or 3, I can't decide.

You have excellent taste! That's my all-time favourite series, along with all the other Lucasarts adventures.

Hands down, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. It was a game I could put down and then go back to two years later and still enjoy it. Excellent graphics, sound, storyline was interesting, locations were cool, and the replay value was phenomenal. You could choose between thinking, fighting, or team playing which all lead to different game play, different outcomes, and even some major changes in the storyline. It was also one of the few games that I've played that I felt, could only be played on the computer and be fun. If I had to click through things with an Xbox or Playstation it would suck. Maybe I'd play it on DS, but that's it.

Intro: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET_98IcvoTI)

Honorable mentions: The Sims 2, The Sims: Hot Date (solely for that crackhead of an old lady who would some how always show up as you're getting frisky with your date), Maniac Manson, Full Throttle, Quake III Arena, Sam & Max Hit the Road, and Day of the Tentacle.

You too have excellent taste - I hope you got onto the Lucasarts adventures because I was always raving about them. xD

This is my all-time favorite PC game, and I know every nook and cranny of it:

http://i55.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/207p43p.png

This looks rather awesome, I think I'll grab a copy.

Bubba
11-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Sam and Max Hit the Road

Vincent, Thunder God
11-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Sam and Max Hit the Road

Haha yeah, love Sam and Max, including the new Telltale episodes, though Hit the Road is superior - I haven't finished the Devil's Playhouse yet though, and apparently it's supposed to be really good. I'll have to finish it at some point.