PDA

View Full Version : Faris the Guy

Del Murder
03-05-2011, 04:06 AM
How did the pirates never figure out Faris was a girl? You'd think being together for all those years they would have noticed her always leaving the seat down and all the feminine hygiene products lying around.

VeloZer0
03-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Who said the pirates didn't know?

Levian
03-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Maybe they're all girls and acted surprised to not blow their own cover.

VeloZer0
03-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Maybe they're all girls and acted surprised to not blow their own cover.
I feel like an idiot for not thinking of that.

MJN SEIFER
03-06-2011, 02:01 AM
I thought this was about the EoFF member! :D

The pirates knew, but were told not to say. In one translation it's implied that they didn't know.

Yar
03-07-2011, 06:52 AM
In the Japanese version, she uses very masculine speech.

Also, I don't know if you've noticed, but so many Final Fantasy characters are androgynous. Sometimes I have a hard time telling them apart from women and women. :S I'm sure they were confused as well!

Wolf Kanno
03-07-2011, 08:59 AM
The pirates who found her knew she was a girl, her name is actually a joke cause she couldn't pronounce it correctly cause she was so young. (its something like Sarisa but she pronounced it Farisa). She was raised as a boy to protect her and I guess she must have moved onto a new ship. Even the source material was pretty vague about this so I guess its up to the fans to decide.

MJN SEIFER
03-07-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm guessing this is something more noticable in Japanese writing? Because in the FFVI Japanese script Celes has "male speech" when she is first introduced, but gradually starts to talk in "female speech".

Also, I don't know if you've noticed, but so many Final Fantasy characters are androgynous. Sometimes I have a hard time telling them apart from women and women. :S I'm sure they were confused as well!
Aside from Kuja looking slightly femminine at times, I've never really noticed.

The pirates who found her knew she was a girl, her name is actually a joke cause she couldn't pronounce it correctly cause she was so young. (its something like Sarisa but she pronounced it Farisa). She was raised as a boy to protect her and I guess she must have moved onto a new ship. Even the source material was pretty vague about this so I guess its up to the fans to decide.
That's because "S" and "TH" are the same, and "TH" and "F" blurs due to ones pronounciation (as a kid, this would be easy to get wrong). It's ruined in the translated versions becuase her real name is translated as "Salsa" which annoyed many fans when they realized what had happened.

Yar
03-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Faris sounds like a juicehead.

Jiro
03-08-2011, 03:01 AM
I do like the idea of an all female pirate crew.

Roogle
03-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Did anyone actually think Faris was a guy before playing the game or reading about the character? I assumed that Faris was a girl from the very beginning just because of the way that she looks. I would have been genuinely surprised if she was revealed to be a man.

MJN SEIFER
03-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Did anyone actually think Faris was a guy before playing the game or reading about the character? I assumed that Faris was a girl from the very beginning just because of the way that she looks. I would have been genuinely surprised if she was revealed to be a man.

I think, I thought she was a girl in the first scene, but when they said she was a man, I just assumed; "Okay, he's just got long hair or something. I was just coming to accept my mistake when Bartz suddenly got a love heart while watching Faris sleep (love the music for that scene by the by) I thought to myself "Either I was right all along, or Squaresoft has more guts to do certain storylines than I realized!":jess:

kotora
03-08-2011, 11:37 PM

they have gender separate speech in Japan?

Del Murder
03-09-2011, 04:24 AM
I played a translated version on emulator my first time playing, and I did think she was a guy.

Wolf Kanno
03-09-2011, 06:05 AM

they have gender separate speech in Japan?

Sorta... There are several common words (Like I, thank you, and possessive words) which have both a masculine and feminine version, even though they mean the same thing. This structure also extends to hierarchy like family and corporate ladder as well. That's why its easy to even say something like "You're Welcome" and either get weird looks cause you're using a feminine version when you're a guy, or you're and adult and use a young child's version). FF uses this alot, Sephiroth uses a very polite form of speech before the Nibelhiem incident but then switches to a very cocky and arrogant speech pattern. Kefka switches between a child's speech and an adults at random intervals. Both are used to signify to the reader that something has happened to their mental states.

Hollycat
03-13-2011, 05:24 PM
actually, if you listen in on one of the pirates who is sleepy, they mention how they love faris, so they obviously knew

Mirage
03-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Maybe he was gay, but not really.

I can imagine it being pretty bothersome to hide all that red underwear once a month.

Roogle
03-16-2011, 10:27 PM
Maybe he was gay, but not really.

Yes, they play up the potential humor of a man secretly being enamored by Faris only for it to be justified because she was really a woman all along with a scene in the first town where Bartz and Galuf discover a sleeping Faris. The pirate with a crush on her might be an extension of this.

Mirage
03-16-2011, 11:58 PM
Foreshadowing, indeed.

KainHighwind
03-28-2011, 04:23 PM
FF uses this alot, Sephiroth uses a very polite form of speech before the Nibelhiem incident but then switches to a very cocky and arrogant speech pattern. Kefka switches between a child's speech and an adults at random intervals. Both are used to signify to the reader that something has happened to their mental states.

Ah! This is the first time I've ever read a proper description of Kefka's odd manner of speaking. I'd been wondering about that. Thanks.