PDA

View Full Version : 6 things you may not have known about FFVI

Wolf Kanno
03-06-2011, 04:05 AM
Just something fun to do...

1. VI is the first FF that allows the player to change who is in the party.

2. In the early drafts, Terra was suppose to be a guy around the age of 21.

3. While everyone knows VI has the largest cast, most don't ever mention it also has the largest number of Summons in the main series. 27 in the original version, and 31 in the GBA port.

4. One of VI's main writers was Kaori Tanaka or more commonly known as Soraya Saga, she wrote the characters of the Figaro Bros. as well as Relm and a few other members of the cast. She went on to write the plots of Xenogears and part of Xenosaga.

5. VI is actually the first game to introduce a final boss with an Angel motif, Kefka's god mode having a total of six wings. Also, Heartless Angel (Fallen One in the Woosely script) makes its first appearance in this title.

6. Terra has more Official Artwork than any other FF character in the series (20+)

Anyway else have their own silly trivia to add?

blackmage_nuke
03-06-2011, 08:15 AM
7. It was the first FF to have moogles with pom poms. I believe this was due to the fact that Mog was a geomancer.

Del Murder
03-06-2011, 08:41 PM
8. FFVI was the first FF to feature limit breaks. They just came a lot rarer than they did in FFVII!

VeloZer0
03-07-2011, 03:38 AM
I don't have anything to add, but I enjoyed this thread and don't want to leave it hanging.

Wolf Kanno
03-07-2011, 05:43 AM
9. VI is the first FF game to introduce Ultima Weapon, both the sword and the monster.

10. VI is the fist game to introduce a super summon more powerful than Bahamut (Crusader), a trend that will continue for the rest of the series.

11. VI is the first game to feature and upgrades summon Odin-Raiden

12. VI is the game that introduced the Gambler job to the series, and the first to use the Slot machine element.

13. Popular Monk staple, Meteor Strike debuted in VI (Suplex in Woosely script)

14. VI is the first game to have a canon themed attached to every playable cast member.

15. Kefka is the first villain to start the story as an underling and be the final boss (Kuja is the only other villain, and that's debatable).

16. VI cast members made a cameo in Secret of Evermore as background characters

17. Terra, Shadow, and Locke were the first 3D FF characters in the series.

18. VI is one of three FF games that has variables that affect the ending (V and IX are the other two)

19. VI is the game where Maduin (Madeen) debuted in the series.

20 Shadow and Setzer were both originally designed by Nomura Tetsuya

21. VI has the largest amount of English renames in the main cast that have remained canon in the series.

22. VI is the first and possibly the only game in the series to give the full name of each of the main cast in the game.

Flying Arrow
03-07-2011, 06:16 AM
18. VI is one of three FF games that has variables that affect the ending (V and IX are the other two)

Totally off topic, but what variable was there in IX? I have never been aware of this.

blackmage_nuke
03-07-2011, 06:21 AM

Totally off topic, but what variable was there in IX? I have never been aware of this.

There is an extra scene if you have the hammer at the end of the game.

Also you didn't mention X-2 but maybe you dont consider it a final fantasy

Wolf Kanno
03-07-2011, 08:50 AM
No I don't and Spira can burn in hell for all I care. :mad2:

Rantz
03-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Interesting thread. I'm learning lots!

blackmage_nuke
03-07-2011, 02:23 PM
23. The Cid in FFVI is the first (and to my knowledge only) Cid that doesnt give the party access to an airship or some form of flying vehicle

Mirage
03-08-2011, 12:37 AM
What kind of optional ending does FF5 have? :(

Setzer the Gambler
03-08-2011, 01:03 AM
In support of 16:
FFVI characters make an appearance in the coliseum of Secret of Evermore when you are in the second world (Locke, Mog and Strago are the ones I remember, there are two more I think).

Wolf Kanno
03-08-2011, 01:21 AM

If any character is killed in the final battle, they stay dead and lose their part in the ending. Yet a special scene plays when the heroes get together and the "fallen heroes" are resurrected. Also, if Krile dies in the final battle, someone else writes the letter to Mid and Cid. Its just variations of the same ending.

In VI, Edgar, Celes, and Relm's ending change depending on whether you recruited Locke, Sabin, and Strago.

24. VI is the last game to have an elderly character as a party member. By which I mean a traditional old man with white gray beard who whines about his hip. In fact VI will be the last entry to have a character physically over the age of 50 in the party (Vanille and Fang don't count :P )

25. Forsaken (Kefka's Ultimate Move) is technically the most powerful spell in the entire game with an attack power of 220. To put it in perspective, Ultima has an attack power of something like 160 and Crusader has an attack of something like 190; it only appears weak cause unlike the two spells mentioned, it cannot ignore defense or ignore split damage.

26. VI has more temporary characters than any other FF in the series (15)

27. VI is the first game to have Biggs and Wedge

28. Celes Chere was meant to be a minor character but due to Kitase taking a liking to her, her role was expanded in the game.

29. VI is the first first game to feature non-human party members.

30. VI is the first FF to feature females in a leading role in the series (Terra and Celes)

31. VI is the only game in the series to feature a set of exclusive armor for a character under Status Effect (Kappa)

32. VI is the first FF where you don't have to fight Odin or Bahamut to gain them as summons.

33. VI is the first FF to feature weapons with damage output that can be changed mid-battle by decreasing HP, restoring it, or running out of MP.

34. VI is the first game in the series to utilize interactive elements into abilities (Blitz and Slot).

35. VI has the second highest amount of enemies in the non-online FF games with a total of 372 different enemies (bosses included, course half of that total number is palette swap...). It has the third highest number overall but will probably drop to fourth once XIV takes off. For those wondering, XII has the highest of the non-MMO FFs with 451 different enemies, bosses, marks and rare game.

Setzer the Gambler
03-08-2011, 01:24 AM

If any character is killed in the final battle, they stay dead and lose their part in the ending. Yet a special scene plays when the heroes get together and the "fallen heroes" are resurrected. Also, if Krile dies in the final battle, someone else writes the letter to Mid and Cid. Its just variations of the same ending.

In VI, Edgar, Celes, and Relm's ending change depending on whether you recruited Locke, Sabin, and Strago.

There's also a slight difference btw Shadow and non Shadow.. :)

Jiro
03-08-2011, 02:53 AM
I didn't expect there to be so many trivia points but this is awesome.

Wolf Kanno
03-12-2011, 01:11 AM
36. While most of the playable cast have their main themes playing while they are introduced in the story, Terra, Celes, and Sabin do not. Terra has the them Awakening playing during her formal introduction, Celes has Under Martial Law, and Sabin has Coin Song playing instead of their actual themes.

37. Speaking of which, VI is the only game in the series that introduces the cast through a narration.

38. VI has the most glitches in the entire series with only FFVII coming close to the amount of weird stuff that can happen to cause strange effects.

39. VI is the first game in the series to have two party members who share a parent/child relation. (Shadow and Relm)

40. VI is the second of three games to have twins in the story as main party members. The other two being FFIV and FFXII

41. Umaro was suppose to be recruited differently in the original plan for the game, he would be a rare random monster on the overworld map you had to defeat to get him to join you.

42. Gogo as well had a different scenario for obtaining. He would dress up as a party member not currently in your party in the WoR be found randomly in towns. You had to get the party member he was mimicking and try to find him before he left town and took another members persona.

43. Even Sakaguchi and Kitase admit that Gau really has no point in the story, but they wanted to make him anyway.

44. When asked about the fates of Banon, Arvis, and the Narshe Elder in the WoR, Sakaguchi has stated the player should use their own imagination.

45. VI is the only game that has a summon that can hurt it's caster.

46. Speaking of which, VI is the first game in the series to have black magic spells that target the whole party. Though V is the first game to actually have a spell that affects everyone...

47. It wasn't until Dissidia that we finally got an age for Kefka, and I believe him and Vayne are the only main villains in the series that actually have confirmed ages.

48. VI is the only game in the console series, where the Flametongue and Icebrand weapons randomly cast their elemental spells when they attack. It is also the first game in the series to have the Thunderblade (not to be mistaken with the other Lightning based sword, Coral Sword)

49. VI has the longest Final Boss theme in the series (17:38) and the longest ending theme (21:34).

50. Final Fantasy staple, Cactuar made their debut in VI.

51. Though Tonberries debuted in FFV, VI debuted the stronger and meaner Master Tonberry, though it wouldn't be til VII that they acquired their two signature abilities: Knife and Everyone's Grudge.

52. Gau and Gogo cannot use the Merit Award in the GBA version of VI cause SE learned about "Wind God Gau".

53. If you get a characters magic stat to 140 or higher, the damage from magic will overflow and cause it to be reset to 0.

54. AP has two uses in the game, it's the currency point system used to learn spells and it's also used to determine how much time Terra can stay in her Trance mode. This is why even if you have learned every spell, if Terra is in your party, you still get a message that you got AP from the battle.

55. Nobuo Uematsu considers VI to be the last original Final Fantasy (http://www.g-wie-gorilla.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=136&Itemid=18), as many of the core members from the previous entries either quit Square, moved into administrative positions , and the team was replaced with younger members of the company or new people.

56. Nobuo also didn't like writing a theme for a cast so large cause he felt that some would not be as important to the story as other.

57. VI is the first game in the series to have secret characters to recruit (Umaro and Gogo).

Hollycat
03-12-2011, 01:29 AM
39. VI is the first game in the series to have two party members who share a parent/child relation. (Shadow and Relm)

what about galuf and krile?
edit: to 48, that happens in 5 also.

Wolf Kanno
03-12-2011, 02:03 AM
I'll give you 48 though I've never seen the weapons do it but maybe its been awhile since I've played V. :confused:

EDIT: Scratch that, I'm having a brain drain and forgot about items like the Gaia Hammer in V so yeah. Though I did change it somewhat...

As for 39, Galuf is Krile's grandfather, while I guess one can argue their relationship is parent to child, I'm not counting it. :p

58. VI is the only game in the series that has a cursed item that can have the curse removed.

59. There are a total of 3 Memento Rings in the game.

60. Although fixed by the GBA release, their is a bug that makes the Evade stat useless, instead the game takes the evade stat from from your M.Evade which is why the White Cape Relic is so freaking awesome.

61. If you watch the CG ending to VI from FF anthology (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ZATWJRB2A), when you watch Shadow fight the ghosts on the train, their is a quick flash, if you slow it down, its an image of Relm from one of the Amano designs.

Hollycat
03-12-2011, 02:07 AM
ok, but wait.... shadows not relms dad is he?

Vyk
03-12-2011, 02:23 AM
Ah, the only thing I could think to add was recruiting secret characters. I had thought it was the first. But you squeaked that one in at the end already :P Isn't it like the only one to use Amano art in the profiles?

Wolf Kanno
03-12-2011, 02:38 AM
ok, but wait.... shadows not relms dad is he?

Yes he is. ;) :ffvishock: :ffvitrouble: How else can you explain the fact he and Relm are the only characters that can equip the Memento Ring.

I'll count the Amano portraits as 62.

63. If you don't save Shadow and he dies on the Floating Continent, Relm gains Interceptor in combat and he's block and counter for her just like he does for Shadow.

64. VI is the only game in the series where you can actually kill a party member by not doing a specific thing at a certain time.

65. Cait Sith makes his first appearance in VI as an Esper, but the connection doesn't end there. Celes was originally meant to be a real spy for the empire in the early design for the game, a spy who ended up liking the people she was spent to spy on and became conflicted with her allegiance, this scenario is strikingly similar to Cait Sith's story in VII.

66. Locke was originally meant to be a partner and rival to the lead (Terra Bradford) before he became a she. He also originally had the Runic command as well. As they began to iron out the story and details, Locke became the Locke we all know and love. :ffvipatpat:

blackmage_nuke
03-12-2011, 03:03 AM
61. If you watch the CG ending to VI from FF anthology (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ZATWJRB2A), when you watch Shadow fight the ghosts on the train, their is a quick flash, if you slow it down, its an image of Relm from one of the Amano designs.

Mind...Blown

67. It was the only snes FF to feature the same sprite resolutions in and out of battle

Vyk
03-12-2011, 03:19 AM
I bet it was the first game (if not the only game?) to deal with suicide (as I'm having a hard time thinking of any other examples). But even if not in a broader sense, I think it's the first and only in the series

blackmage_nuke
03-12-2011, 03:38 AM
I think there were a few characters in IV and one in III that sacrificed thier lives for the party if that counts as suicide.

VeloZer0
03-12-2011, 03:46 AM
I think there were a few characters in IV and one in III that sacrificed thier lives for the party if that counts as suicide.
Losing the will to live is completely different from valuing the lives of others above your own. One is culturally revered, while the other is reviled.

Vyk
03-12-2011, 04:04 AM
Yeah. I was talking about just suicide. I know 4 and 5 had deaths and sacrifices. I never played 2 but I think it had sacrifices as well. But I know the rest of the series has only had sacrifices and regular deaths

Del Murder
03-12-2011, 07:15 AM
68. FFVI is the only FF where the player can alter the story to cause characters to die, and it happens at least twice and maybe 3 times (Shadow, Cid, and maybe Sabin though I never lose that part).
69. FFVI is the first FF to feature accessories as equipment slots.
70. FFVI is the first FF to have you acquire magic through AP accumulation.

Vyk
03-12-2011, 07:45 AM
Speaking of the way magic works. I suppose VI would be the first one that lets you assign summons to characters outside of set jobs and classes. Anyone gets to be a summoner no matter what

Del Murder
03-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Good point! Here's more:

71. FFVI is the only FF that let's you choose the order in which you complete the story (gathering your characters in the WoR and the scenarios in the WoB).
72. Even though FF has the largest cast, you can beat FFVI with as few as 3 members in your entire party. That's the fewest of any FF.

Wolf Kanno
03-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Suicide and first to allow every character to use summons without the summoner class will be 73 and 74.

75. This one I didn't even know initially. Apparently, Terra gets a stat boost if she is in your party for the final battle against Kefka.

76. Oddly, VI has character artwork for several people who play very minor roles in the game such as Owzer and the Kappa. Yet more important minor characters like Rachael, Maduin, Madonna, and Arvis don't have any known artwork (course I could be wrong about this as much of the character artwork has not been released in the West. Pointing out Terra's blue dress design used as her alt outfit in Dissidia Duodecim, as well as the artwork of Clyde have only recently come to light.)

77. Despite being a large plot element at one point in the game, the party never actually meets Maria.

78. Cid actually has a the longest last name of the Cid's in FF. His full name is Cid Del Norte Marquez and his name roughly translates as "Cid, son of Marquis from the north". He is also one of three Cid's who actually dies.

79. Molulu (Kuku in the Woosely script) is one of the moogles that helps Locke save Terra in the beginning of the game. She is in Mog's party, and the basis for the name of the Mog exclusive relic, Molulu's Charm (Moogle Charm in the Woosely script). The reason for this is because she is suppose to be Mog's girlfriend. :love:

80. VI is the first game that allows you to split up your party and still hav them all participate in dungeons and battles.

81. It also the first game that allows dead party members to be replaced by inactive ones during the final battle.

82. VI is the only game in the series to have Biggs and Wedge as CG renders in the Anthology versions opening.

83. An odd element of Strago is that several of his artwork has him using steam-powered jet bikes and piloting other machines yet in the game he never once uses a machine nor reveals any skill with machinery.

84. Terra's theme is used in five different tracks in VI (Omen, Awakening, Save Them!, Metamorphosis, and Ending Theme)

85. Despite Terra being Half-Esper and Celes being a magically infused Magitech Knight, Relm actually has the best Magic stat in the game, despite Terra having a story reason for being the best magic user.

86. Umaro is the tallest playable character in the series 6' 10".

87. You fight Kefka more times than any other villain in the series (5 times) though it should be noted that three of them are scripted and unwinnable. Seymour from FFX actually has the most real battles among the main villains in the series with a total of four.

88. Kefka's laugh is used in Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII.

89. VI's story is designed around an opera theme, it uses narration, is split into acts, has several fourth wall breaking moments such as characters waving and acknowledging the player, and even has the ending presented as a giant curtain call. It also uses elements from Italian opera such as a harlequin character (Kefka) and several of the cast members utilize Italian surnames.

Jiro
03-13-2011, 01:27 PM

Where, how? :monocle:

89. VI's story is designed around an opera theme, it uses narration, is split into acts, has several fourth wall breaking moments such as characters waving and acknowledging the player, and even has the ending presented as a giant curtain call. It also uses elements from Italian opera such as a harlequin character (Kefka) and several of the cast members utilize Italian surnames.
That is cool.

Sephiroth
03-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Final Fantasy VI is the first Final Fantasy to hide a boss and a save point in a toilet - Atma. Lol.

And Kefka's laugh is not exactly the laugh which you can hear in the Ghost Square of Final Fantasy VII.

"47. It wasn't until Dissidia that we finally got an age for Kefka, and I believe him and Vayne are the only main villains in the series that actually have confirmed ages."

That's wrong. X-Death is about 300 years old and Kuja is 24. Sephiroth is 29 in Final Fantasy VII, but it would take too long to explain and actually I am the only one here to be interested extremely in things like that. Dysley is 70 - but of course that is obviously just some age which should say how old his human body looks like. After all he is a Fal'Cie and for sure is older than 70. And you didn't need to wait until Dissidia to know how old Kefka is. How old he is, how tall he is, that he was an orphan from Thamasa, et cetera was revealed even before Dissidia.

Vyk
03-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Is VI the first one to let you have legitimate non-humanoid characters outside of status effects? I may be wrong but I can't think of any in the previous games

Sephiroth
03-13-2011, 08:38 PM
It is like you say. Final Fantasy IV has many characters you can use in your team but they are humanoid.

blackmage_nuke
03-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Is VI the first one to let you have legitimate non-humanoid characters outside of status effects? I may be wrong but I can't think of any in the previous games

29. VI is the first first game to feature non-human party members

Also

that he was an orphan from Thamasa

Where did this come up?

Vyk
03-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Oops

Sephiroth
03-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Where did this come up?

That's mentioned in the Ultimania. There are some things written about Kefka which show that he is "more character" than most know.

Wolf Kanno
03-14-2011, 05:14 AM
I forgot that the IX timeline mentioned Kuja's age, and I guess the Compilation has finally given a narrow enough timeline to confirm Sephy's actual age. Never heard that Ex-Death was 300 years old though, but I guess we might be talking about the tree itself. As for Kefka...

Which Ultimania? I have the original character guides for VI and they give no inclusion of his age, hell, the VI timeline conflicts with another guide given on Gestahl's age, so I wouldn't be surprised if a few things got retcon out over the years.. I've also heard that the Thamasa orphanage thing is unreliable cause the source is from a fan-fiction site. So if you can give a source I would be appreciative as it would help in another thread I'm working on. ;)

Also, I've already mentioned the non-humanoid characters bit. As for Kefka's laugh in VII and CT. It is the same as his laugh but in both cases, the laugh has been altered by either slowing it down or raising the pitch. Yet you can distinctly tell its the laugh. For those wondering, Sephiroth already mentioned that the laugh in VII comes from the Ghost Hotel in the Gold Saucer, in CT, it's from both Norstein Beckler's Tent of Wonders at the Millennial Fair and Ozzie uses a variation of it as well.

Sephiroth
03-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Never heard that Ex-Death was 300 years old though, but I guess we might be talking about the tree itself.

Gill says it. He's talking about the souls (which are shown as Neo X-Death) which were sealed in the forest for 300 years and have possessed a tree (who is shown as X-Death's "first final form"). Since the souls are...well...souls and I don't know if a tree has souls and the souls are X-Death as well, X-Death is at least 300 years old. Of course there is no official number that he is 318 years and 6 months old. I just take the numbers which are mentioned in Final Fantasy V. About Sephiroth: Sephiroth's age was mentioned in an interview almost 15 years ago. I don't know if someone has some magazine in english here were it is mentioned as well, but I live in germany and there was some magazine about the interview and Final Fantasy VII and it was talked about the 24-years old Sephiroth (during Nibelheim) who was a hero et cetera. Now add 5 years - of course I don't have a birth date of Sephiroth but so you know at least that he is about 29 in Final Fantasy VII. Is he physically 29? Well, since his body was destroyed in the lifestream and has regenerated and since he doesn't physically age after becoming an adult because of the cells, you will not see him aging - at least if it will not be changed. And even if he would age physically - which doesn't happen because Lucrecia doesn't age and the "JENOVA inside her", so the JENOVA cells don't let her die like she says (not to mention the fact that you see her body than in Dirge of Cerberus and three years before she wasn't even in that crystal) - even if he would age physically, he would still be able to shapeshift. About his age - I don't hope it won't be changed. Some things were slightly changed in Final Fantasy VII but if his age will be changed then of course I have to accept it. But as it is now, Sephiroth is 29 in Final Fantasy VII (of course only ~; as already mentioned there is no official birthdate I just don't know why Sephiroth's age and/or birth date is not mentioned these days, maybe they forgot it, lol xD) - if you don't look at his physical age, like I have explained, so only the years of how many years the character Sephiroth already exists in Final Fantasy VII. Meanwhile he is older, of course. At least Dirge of Cerberus is 3 years after Final Fantasy VII. Does he have a body at the moment? No. But as explained I talk about his existence and as we all know Sephiroth still exists and can fully control himself in the lifestream.

Which Ultimania? I have the original character guides for VI and they give no inclusion of his age, hell, the VI timeline conflicts with another guide given on Gestahl's age, so I wouldn't be surprised if a few things got retcon out over the years.. I've also heard that the Thamasa orphanage thing is unreliable cause the source is from a fan-fiction site. So if you can give a source I would be appreciative as it would help in another thread I'm working on. ;)

I don't know how I should give you a source since I read japanese and I don't use an internet site to inform myself - except it is an official statement of Square, of course. It is possible that I am a bit confused by some Kefka fans at the moment or something like that, but I always use Final Fantasy, the Ultimania, et cetera. And in the Ultimania his age, height, birth date, et cetera is mentioned.

EDIT: Ah, okay. I have checked that with google because I didn't know what you have meant with the fanfiction thing. It seems so that some people were writing garbage about Kefka and Celes or whatever. But that's about it.

Wolf Kanno
03-15-2011, 03:51 AM
That's one of the reasons why I'm curious where the source is because of all the misinformation. I own the "legendary" Settei Shiryou Hen for VI and I can attest to the fact that it doesn't detail any of Kefka's stats and the section on him is less than a paragraph, and while my translating skills are sub-par, so far its reading like a simply "He's the court mage of Gestahl and he's crazy" as opposed to anything someone wouldn't know by just playing the game.

On the other hand, I've seen pictures of an Ultimania style book that gives the basic stats (age, weight, likes and dislike) on Cid and Gestahl from VI (http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/8626/complete016.jpg) but its not from the any of the guide books released back in 94 and it contradicts some of the info from the original guides. So it's either from an unknown book, or it might be from the 20th anniversary FF character guide, or its from a recent guide from one of the games re-releases. I'm just curious to know which cause everyone quotes the info on Kefka, yet no one has been able to show a physical picture of the profile from whatever source gives it.

I'll change the caption to Dissidia is the first game in english that mentions Kefka's age.

qwertysaur
03-17-2011, 06:00 PM
90: Final Fantasy VI was the first appearance of Alexander

91: Final Fantasy VI was also the first appearance of Cait Sith

92: Final Fantasy VI has the first summon that can be lost permanently, when you upgrade Odin into Raiden. (You do lose summons in Final Fantasy IV Advance during Rydias trial and during the plot of FF IX, but you get them back)

Vyk
03-17-2011, 06:33 PM
That should be "first", not "only" summon. Because the same thing happens with Odin in FFVIII

qwertysaur
03-17-2011, 07:09 PM
oops, forgot about that. :shobon:

Wolf Kanno
03-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Sorry qwert, I've already mentioned Cait Sith, but I am surprised I forgot about Alexander especially since he's my fave summon.

92. VI is the first game in the series (before some of the remake retcons) that has the summons called by another name, Phantom Spirits/Espers.

93. There is still no legitimate non-Japanese version of VI that isn't censored in some way.

94. If his Amano artwork is anything to go by, Leo might actually be the first black character in the FF series.

34194 34195

95. VI is the first game in the series that doesn't take place in a visually predominate Medieval fantasy setting. Instead choosing a Second Revolution style Steampunk setting.

96. VI is one of three FF titles where Odin is actually treated as a real character with a backstory in the plot. (IV and XI are the other two FFs.)

97. VI is the first FF to feature an optional boss that can only be encountered on your airship (Deathgaze).

98. VI is the first FF to feature Chocobos but not have a Chocobo forest, it is actually one of four main FF games to feature Chocobo Farms. (IV, VII, and XII being the other three)

99. VI is the only entry in the series that allows you to play as real moogles :mog:

Jiro
03-22-2011, 01:22 AM
RE: Leo being the first black character - We don't really know what Black Mage looks like under that hat of his :greenie:

Vyk
03-22-2011, 02:00 AM
RE: Leo being the first black character - We don't really know what Black Mage looks like under that hat of his :greenie:

A robot, duh! Didn't you play FFIX? :P

espritduo
03-22-2011, 01:57 PM
76. Oddly, VI has character artwork for several people who play very minor roles in the game such as Owzer and the Kappa. Yet more important minor characters like Rachael, Maduin, Madonna, and Arvis don't have any known artwork (course I could be wrong about this as much of the character artwork has not been released in the West. Pointing out Terra's blue dress design used as her alt outfit in Dissidia Duodecim, as well as the artwork of Clyde have only recently come to light.)

Geez, it's not Clyde! Damn Wikipedia. Both the Blue Terra and the "Clyde" Amano images have been around for years. Both can be found in The Sky, a wonderful set of books that has every single last piece of art Amano did for the FF series up until X, without exception. I'm the one who scanned and uploaded both images on another another forum originally, where they were then uploaded onto the FFWiki and other forums by other members, and now it seems my blue Terra scan is the de facto scan for that image across the internet. Funny how the internet works.

As for "Clyde", I have no idea why someone decided to claim that the image I uploaded was him, and I've since deleted the image from Shadow's page on the FFWiki. It isn't Clyde. It's most likely an alternate Locke, which is how I originally uploaded it, but since it is only titled as "FFVI Image" in the book itself, there's no way to be 100% sure. One thing is for sure, there's absolutely no reason to believe it is Clyde of all people, who's sprite in the game bears no resemblance to the image.

Anyways, point is, both those images have been open to the public for years along with the rest of Amano's cache of FF art, but it wasn't until I uploaded them(one in response to Dissidia, the other just by request) that they became widely known. There's literally hundreds of Amano FF pieces that most people have never seen simply because there's never been a reason to scan and upload them. Dissidia has definitely made some more popular, but they've always been there, waiting for a reason to be noticed.

EDIT: Ah, okay. I have checked that with google because I didn't know what you have meant with the fanfiction thing. It seems so that some people were writing garbage about Kefka and Celes or whatever. But that's about it.

That fanfiction(oh how I wish I could erase that fanfic from existence!) is also the source of him being from Thamasa, and pretty much anything else that deals with his "backstory". All official information that exists on Kefka says exactly what is known in the game. The only extra stuff that exists is the little things, like the height/weight/age/likes/dislikes stuff. It says nowhere that he was an orphan, or that he had autism or that he was the son of some goddess named Maria, or any other rubbish like that. Damn wikipedia.

Also, Cait Sith was an enemy in FFIII (NES). That was it's original appearance in the series, not FFVI. Although FFVI's Cait Sith was definitely the inspiration for FFVII's, since they look identical.

Okay, enough of that. How about I do something useful and post some more little known nuggets?

100. Umaro is not only the tallest character, but the youngest as well. He's only 4 years old!

101. FFVI has more summons than any other game in the series, by a long shot. It has 31 summons, while the next highest is FFVIII with 16 normal summons and 6 oddballs that aren't summoned the normal way.

102. Some of FFVI's enemy designs are identical to their counterparts in FFV. The Ninja, Tonberry, Magic Pot and Mover enemies are all identical looking in both FFV and FFVI. And with the advent of FFVI Advance, you can add Gilgamesh and Leviathan to the list, since their sprites in FFVI are simply the FFV sprites.

103. While FFVI was the first game to feature the monster Atma/Ultima weapon, FFV's Twin Tania looks uncannily like Ultima Weapon (http://www.espritduo.com/images/Atma-Tania.jpg), and was most likely the original concept for its FFVI design.

104. FFVI was the first FF(and one of the only) to feature cameos of characters from previous FF's. FFVI's Gogo and Lonewolf are both characters from FFV. Gilgamesh as well, but he was a later addition to the Advance version after the "Gilgamesh craze" had started with his appearance in FFVIII.

105. Speaking of FFVIII, two of FFVI's new summons for the Advance version were taken from FFVIII, Jumbo Cactuar and Diabolos. Both are completely new sprites made just for FFVI Advance. Also, Diabolos's Dark Messenger is the only Gravity type attack in the game that works on all enemies, regardless of their defense against percentage-based attacks.

106. FFVI was the first FF not to have Axes as a useable weapon. Another notable absence are Bows, and FFVI was the first not to have them since FFI.

107. Doom, Goddess, and Poltergeist represent the elements of Ice, Lightning, and Fire respectively.

108. Doom actually has the most HP of any enemy in the game at 63,000, even more than Kefka, at 62,000. This does not include the new super bosses added to the Advance version, of course.

109. Speaking of the super bosses, Kaiser Dragon was actually in FFVI from the beginning as an unused monster just floating around in the game data, sometimes called Czar Dragon. However, this unused monster is NOT the exact version we fight in the Dragon's Den. The creators of the game went above and beyond and completely revamped the enemy in both appearance and abilities. Take a look at the original and the Advance version. (http://www.espritduo.com/images/czar.jpg)

110. FFVI was the first FF to feature an "angelic" final boss. Before Kefka, we had nothing but big crazy monsters for final bosses(Chaos, Hell's Emperor, Cloud of Darkness, Zeromus, Neo Exdeath).

111. FFVI was also the first FF to feature the signature "Heartless Angel" move used to reduce the entire party's HP to 1. In FFVI it was originally translated as the whimsical "Fallen One".

112. While FFVI is the first appearance of Alexander as a summon, it is not the beginning of Alexander's story. The Amano artwork (http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/a/aa/Amano_Giant_of_Bab-Il.jpg) for the Giant of Babil from FFIV looks exactly like Alexander from FFVI, and is most likely the inspiration for the summon.

113. While Cid doesn't actually give you an airship in FFVI, there is a hidden scene involving him and Setzer on board the Blackjack that shows FFVI's Cid being very "Cid-like" in his appreciation for airships. If you walk back to the grounded Blackjack after the peace talks in Vector instead of going to Albrook you can see this scene.

114. Kefka is not as powerful as he wants you to believe during his attack on Thamasa. He may seem invincible during his battle against the red Ifrit-looking Esper, but that's only because he has a Paladin Shield equipped for that fight.

115. Speaking of odd equips, Banon has the incredibly powerful and rare Punisher rod equipped while he is in your group. But because he has no MP, he can't utilize it's "use MP to inflict critical hit" added ability, and combined with his pitiful strength, he still can't do very much damage with the weapon.

116. FFVI is the only FF to visibly keep track of how many steps you've taken in the game.

117. FFVI was the first appearance of the Brachiosaur enemy. It's also the only game to actually translate it that way. The enemy appears in FFVII as Vlakorados, FFIV Advance as Brachioreidos, and FFX as Thu'ban.

118. FFVI was the first FF to have a vocal track, sort of. And no, I don't mean the opera song. It actually had a real song with lyrics sung by real people that never made it into the final version of the game. The song is called Approaching Sentiment. (http://www.espritduo.com/music/approaching_sentiment.mp3)

119. Those books you find in Cyan's room at Mt. Zozo aren't just about machinery. They're actually dirty magazines, but they've always been translated as "book of secrets" in the SNES version, and "special samurai techniques" in the Advance version. Poor Cyan isn't quite as honorable as he would have you believe, eh?

120. If you want to kill the annoying KatanaSoul/Samurai Soul in one hit, just have Relm Sketch him. She'll have a chance to use his own Slayer's Edge against him and kill him instantly. Make sure you have a Cat's Hood equipped, since KatanaSoul gives more money than any other enemy in the game(30,000 Gil; 60,000 with the Cat's Hood).

121. Equipping RunningShoes on Celes and Sabin before the fight against the Tentacles turns another annoying battle into a cakewalk. A side effect of auto-Haste is that you are immune to Slow. A side effect of being immune to Slow is that the Tentacle's grab attacks won't work on a character that can't be first inflicted with Slow.

Hollycat
03-22-2011, 02:56 PM
You're wrong Cait sith originally appeared in final fantasy 2 as an enemy in pandemonium.

EDIT: wait, you may need to ignore this, I am now thinking he may have appeared in the reverse pandemonium in soul of rebirth, and I beleive that was added for DOS, in which case ignore the post

Wolf Kanno
03-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks for clearing up the Clyde picture espiritduo. Though I know you are right about it not being him, I would like to point out that not all of Amano's artwork has been properly translated into sprite format. The cast of V don't really look anything like their Amano designs, so I can see why some would make a mistake.

Anyway, I have to also point out that your 101, 110, and 111 have all been stated already, but thank you for your other contributions. Also, you should be happy to know that Sky will become available in the U.S. at least in May, so you won't have to keep correcting people about mislabeling the pictures on this side of the Pacific. ;)

espritduo
03-23-2011, 08:29 AM
I felt like those ones were already said, but I couldn't seem to find them, ah well.

And I've already got two copies of the new edition of The Sky pre-ordered. ;) I'm hoping to keep one alongside my original print and gut the other for total scanning purposes. No more helter-skelter scanning this time. It's become obvious to me over the years that there is a definite demand for the images in that book, and I'm going to try and scan and upload every single image in the book. (Unless Square kills me first.)

blackmage_nuke
03-23-2011, 11:20 AM
100. Umaro is not only the tallest character, but the youngest as well. He's only 4 years old!

But that makes Mog a pedofile :(

Hollycat
03-23-2011, 02:29 PM
How do you know that Leo is black, he doesnt look like it to me.

Vyk
03-23-2011, 06:32 PM
He said according to Amano's artwork. Not the character sprite. But he kinda looks like an Easter Island idol in Amano's art xD

Wolf Kanno
03-24-2011, 06:10 AM
I felt like those ones were already said, but I couldn't seem to find them, ah well.

And I've already got two copies of the new edition of The Sky pre-ordered. ;) I'm hoping to keep one alongside my original print and gut the other for total scanning purposes. No more helter-skelter scanning this time. It's become obvious to me over the years that there is a definite demand for the images in that book, and I'm going to try and scan and upload every single image in the book. (Unless Square kills me first.)

That would make a lot of old school FF fans happy. I've pre-ordered it from work myself (yay, for discounts) and I've been planning on scanning the Settai Shiryou Hen so that people can clear up that whole "Kefka backstory" rumor that's been going around. Not to mention some real translations would be nice. I may need to get buddy buddy with people over at Lifestream.net since my Japanese is still only a beginner level and I don't think anyone here would be interested in translating all the info.

To HP: As Vyk said, its only according to the Amano art, his sprite is definetly Caucasian, but the Amano work looks (sadly a bit racially stereotypical) black. Though the Easter Island comparison isn't far fetched either. :D

119. VI was the last FF to be mis-titled when it crossed the Pacific and even today, it is still referred by fans and Wii-Ware of all things as FFIII.

120. Thanks to three changes in the GBA port of VI, 3 of the major choices given to the player no longer matter.

a) Thanks to the Leviathan battle, its now possible to obtain all of Mog's Dances in the WoR meaning you can ditch him for the Gold Hairpin now.

b) Thanks to the addition of the Jumbo Cactuar Esper, who gives a +2 to speed, fans can now turn Odin into Raiden without fearing they are missing out on a Speed bonus. (for those wondering, Odin was the only esper that gives a Speed bonus before then, so some fans wouldn't change him to Raiden until after they maxed out their characters.)

c) Thanks to the save after the final battle feature, there is now a legitimate way to obtain a second (technically infinite) Ragnarok sword, meaning you can now opt for the Esper instead and spend less time teaching everyone Ultima and equipping almost everyone with dual Lightbringer swords.

121. VI is the only game that features a summon who doesn't attack, heal, defend, inflict status, or buff. Instead it transforms enemies into items and is the basis for the Morph Materia.

122. Ragnarok is also the only summon in the series to be based off a weapon, instead of a monster.

123. It is impossible to actually obtain all the Rages for Gau. Four of them are unobtainable despite the code saying otherwise and a fifth one has Rage status but no slot in the code. The GBA version put one of them back in (Death Warden) but Typhon (Chupon), Siegfried (Coliseum variant), Proto Armor, and Tonberries cannot be obtained.

124. Despite never being able to obtain Proto Armor and Tonberry as Rages, they still appear on the Veldt. WTF?

125. VI is one of four FF games that have Throw items that do magic damage, the Skeans. Only FFV, FFXI, and FFTactics have these items or a similar equivalent.

126. The Shock ability debuts in FFVI, it is also the only game where the ability cost no MP whatsoever.

127. Several skills/abilities have debuted in VI that have never been used again in the series in one form or another. They are: Tools, Runic, Sketch, Possess, and Rage.

128. Despite being a glitch created from the Relm/Sketch bug. Dissidia acknowledges the Drill as a helmet.

129. Rachel is the only non-enemy NPC in the game to get her own theme.

130. VI proves that babies come from sparkles.... okay more seriously, VI is the first game in the series that touched upon issues of sex such as teen pregnancy, and even went so far as to show a birth, and create a comical gnarm sequence of Terra's parents getting it on.

Jiro
03-24-2011, 12:35 PM
It'll be a worthy death espritduo. :p

EDIT: Didn't notice there was an extra page. Damn you 50perpage view :argh:

Also 127: Vincent's Limits are almost Rages. Almost.

qwertysaur
03-24-2011, 04:57 PM
128: Final Fantasy VI has the first time where a specific party member must be kept alive, Banon. This concept is later used in Final Fantasy games like Final Fantasy Tactics (Several) and Final Fantasy VIII.

129: Final Fantasy VI has the first character that is fought as a boss prior to recruitment, Umaro. Armarat and Steiner from Final Fantasy IX Kimahri from Final Fantasy X are the only other examples of this.

blackmage_nuke
03-24-2011, 09:06 PM
129: Final Fantasy VI has the first character that is fought as a boss prior to recruitment, Umaro. Armarat and Steiner from Final Fantasy IX Kimahri from Final Fantasy X are the only other examples of this.

Also Yuffie from FFVII

Del Murder
03-25-2011, 05:28 AM
For 125: FFXI has many elemental throwing items, but throw sucks in that game.

Roogle
03-25-2011, 11:23 PM
It might be a good idea to have any translations or scanlations of extraneous materials relating to Final Fantasy VI on the actual Eyes on Final Fantasy website. It would probably be linked around many times. Please let us know if you plan to obtain a translation and we can decide what to do with it.

Wolf Kanno
03-25-2011, 11:27 PM
I plan on uploading the scans on this site first, I was just going to chat with some better translators on other sites unless someone volunteers to help me with all the kanji.

I've been meaning to pick up the FFIV and V books as well since they appear to still be available at the site I got the VI books from. ;)

KainHighwind
03-26-2011, 12:26 AM
I've always heard this "Relm is Shadow's daughter" thing, but I've always sort of wondered about it. Has it ever been officially stated somewhere? Or is it just one of those things fans (generally) agree upon? It's not something I particularly feel like arguing about; I was just wondering if it is truly canon.

Wolf Kanno
03-26-2011, 01:32 AM
I had a link to an interview where they confirmed it (course it was in Japanese and was a V-Jump article) but the page has been removed so I guess I can't use that.

The article stated they removed a scene where Strago and Shadow talked and Strago asked to see Shadow's face to know if it was "him".

They have never outright said it in an english publication but the game has enough evidence to pretty much prove its canon to most of the fan base. So I guess we could say it is just accepted by fans as canon due to overwhelming evidence in the game. ;)

espritduo
03-26-2011, 11:32 PM
I own all the various Japanese books relating to FFVI, and am currently in the sometimes overwhelming process of learning Japanese as well. I would say I'm past the point where I'd call myself a beginner, but nowhere near the point I would trust even myself as an actual translator of large bodies of text. If someone were to say, "Oh, yeah I pulled that fact from page 54 of this book" I could easily go to that page and find whatever it was they were saying and confirm it. But wholesale translation of entire pages/books? It'd take me a month just to translate an entire page with any competence. But I'm diligently working on the language everyday, so someday...

Now for a few more facts!

131. FFVI was the first FF to have a final battle theme with a real name, "Dancing Mad". Up to that point every final battle theme had just been called "Final Battle", or "Last Battle", or in the case of FFIII, "This is the Last Battle", or even just "Battle 2", in the case of FFII. FFI didn't even HAVE a final battle theme!

132. FFVI was the only FF to have the "Kappa/Imp" status. The status has instead been "Frog" in all the other FF's it's appeared in.

133. FFVI was the last FF to not have an Ultimania. FFVIII was the real first Ultimania, and FFVII originally didn't have one, but it has since been given several due to all of its spin-offs and popularity.

134. The alternate translation of Kefka's name, spelled as "Cefca" was actually mentioned in the Advance version of FFVI. One of the Figaro Castle guards talks about how some people are spelling Kefka's name like "Cefca" and that it shouldn't matter what he's called.

135. All of Edgar's Tools can be stolen from various mechanical enemies in the final dungeon, including such rarities as the Chainsaw and Air Anchor.

136. Of all the many espers you obtain in the game, only a very few actually need to be fought beforehand, which is unusual for an FF. Those few are Ifrit, Shiva, Tritoch, Gilgamesh, Leviathan, and Cactuar(although you actually fight Jumbo Cactuar).

137. The theme for Jidoor and Owser's mansion in the World of Ruin is actually an updated version of an unused dungeon theme from FFII.

138. During the "battle" against Kefka in front of the Sealed Gate, if you wait and don't attack Kefka to end the battle, he will sooner or later use a very odd move simply called "TERRA". It has no animation, and the attack seems to freeze the game for a second, and then miss. What it is supposed to do and why it is there is a mystery...

139. You cannot actually acquire any of the floating treasure in Owser's Mnasion. The game says you get stuff, but you don't.

140. Hidon is the only boss in the game that can be fought and beaten as many times as you like, outside of a few notable Advace version additions, of course. This was intentionally done so that Strago would always be able to learn Grand Train, even if you killed Hidon.

141. Every character's desperation attack inflicts massive defense-ignoring damage to a single opponent, except two. Strago's and Relm's desperation attacks are unique in that they attempt to instantly kill and instantly petrify the enemy. This of course means that their desperation attacks are useless against bosses and enemies immune to instant death or petrification.

142. Speaking of desperation attacks, Sabin's Tiger Break is unique because it actually features a unique position for his sprite, the flying kick position.

Saber
03-26-2011, 11:55 PM
@140

Guard Leader, Magitek Armor, Hell's Rider, Gigantos

Those are some bosses you can fight on the Veldt. It takes some time but you can fight them as many times as you want.
</pre>

espritduo
03-27-2011, 05:15 AM
I meant legitimately fight as an actual boss battle in the dungeon over again, but that's a bit of a quibble, I guess.

Oh, and here's a few more tidbits.

143. Saintly Beam is the only attack in the game besides Alexander that is a multi-target Holy-elemental attack.

144. Mt. Koltz is exactly 13,476 meters tall. This makes it even taller than Mt. Everest.

145. Doma is the oldest nation in the FFVI world, and was actually founded 200 years before the War of the Magi ended.

Wolf Kanno
03-27-2011, 07:30 AM
I was going to try to avoid stuff from the source materials since my knowledge of it is second hand but what the hell...

146. The game does a poor job of explaining this about the Empire's battle against Doma. The war between them had actually been going on for about 3 years before the game started according to the timeline.

147. According to the old official guide, there are currently four great powers in VI's world. Narshe, The Empire, Figaro, and Jidoor. Places like Mobliz and Nikeah are considered lesser city states.

148. In the non-canon story by Soraya Saga (one of VI's scenario writers) about the Figaro Bros. She creates an allusion to FFIV with the kingdom's rite of passage involving slaying an Ant Lion.

149. Locke, Relm , and Umaro have more exclusive Relics than any other characters in your party(2) . In the GBA version, Umaro has the most with 3.

150. Terra and Cloud have several similarities to each other:

- Both are former members of their games evil organizations
- Both were used and experimented on by said evil organization
- Both of them suffer from a form of amnesia caused by said experiments.
- Both of them end up fighting villains who are super soldiers (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PsychoPrototype) who are the result of evil experiments gone horribly right (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoneHorriblyRight) to create super soldiers.
- Both of their villains have an unhealthy obsession with them.
- Both of them are removed from your party during a point in the story with a coma that is caused by events that reveal their true nature, and a major event has to go by to finally make them realize the truth about their pasts.
- Both of them lose someone who was like a mentor (Leo for Terra, Zack and Aerith for Cloud)
- Both of them are equally above average in terms of melee combat and using magic statistically
- Both of them are overly melancholic and spend a good chunk of their character development wangsting (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Wangst)on their emotional problems and troubled pasts.
- Both of them end up taking care of orphans.
- A large part of both of their stories in the early parts revolve around them reluctantly joining an anti-establishment organization that is eventually wiped out in the story.
- Both of them were the key to letting the bad guys get the games ultimate doomsday McGuffin, Terra opened the Sealed Gate and Cloud gave Sephiroth the Black Materia.(Not that this is actually unique in FF games but special points are given cause only these two could have done it thanks to unique genetic contributions.
- Both of them are sexually assaulted (Terra by Ultros, Cloud by Don Corneo)

Roogle
03-29-2011, 11:32 PM
137. The theme for Jidoor and Owser's mansion in the World of Ruin is actually an updated version of an unused dungeon theme from FFII.

Yes, Magic House was an unused dungeon theme in Final Fantasy II (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOMhFHi4hAY).

Wolf Kanno
04-02-2011, 07:47 AM
151: VI is the only game in the series that has a paintbrush as a weapon.

152: Gau is still the only character in the series who can't use a weapon.

153: Kefka has the highest on screen, permanent body count in the series. Debatably, he has the highest body count in the series

154. VI is the first game to actually name their resistance group.

155. Setzer's theme is the second most used leitmotif in the game. Appearing in his own theme of course, Epitaph, and twice in the ending theme (once during his curtain call, the second during the actual credits)

156. VI is the last game to have a "tutorial school" by which I mean a building with people who give you hints on how to do things. This should not be confused with Cloud giving tutorials in VII or the tediously long lectures by Quistis in VIII.

157. VI is the first game not to feature the Dancer NPC who does a silly dance for you when prompted.

158. VI is the first game to bring in the Weapon as a boss enemy. Though Omega from V is counted by some fans, he actually doesn't use the term Weapon in his name and the first true Omega Weapon is in VIII.

159. VI is the only game that has the Creature Suit type armor.

160. In some of Sabin's character artwork, he actually sports a swanky beard.

blackmage_nuke
04-02-2011, 09:17 AM
156. VI is the last game to have a "tutorial school" by which I mean a building with people who give you hints on how to do things. This should not be confused with Cloud giving tutorials in VII or the tediously long lectures by Quistis in VIII.

I could've sworn there was a building in the sector 7 where a bunch of people asked you if you wanted tutorials on things. If i recall there was a jumping save point there. It mightve been a different sector but Im pretty sure it was there.

Slothy
04-02-2011, 11:46 AM
I could've sworn there was a building in the sector 7 where a bunch of people asked you if you wanted tutorials on things. If i recall there was a jumping save point there. It mightve been a different sector but Im pretty sure it was there.

There was indeed and it was in sector 7. There were tutorials outside of that, but they explained saving, chests and other things.

Wolf Kanno
04-02-2011, 07:53 PM
The difference is that the tutorial school in earlier games is just a place where random people tell you the basics of the game. In VII, its played in reverse with people asking Cloud how to do stuff so Cloud is in effect the teacher instead of the other way around. That's why I said not to confuse it with some of the later tutorial schools cause its a bit different from a story standpoint cause you can skip the tutorial schools in earlier games cause they only serve as a gameplay reference but in VII, they help to establish Cloud's false identity and later games simply weave it into pauses in the story.

Depression Moon
04-03-2011, 01:09 AM
I had found something weird in this game, but didn't mention it. I had gotten Shadow after Zozo and slept at the inn at the closest city. I got this weird cutscene with a couple of guys who I've never seen before. I can't remember what it was about, but it was pretty random. What was that about?

Saber
04-03-2011, 04:28 AM
I believe Shadow gets various dream sequences randomly while staying at an Inn. If I remember correctly there are four total.

blackmage_nuke
04-03-2011, 04:39 AM
The difference is that the tutorial school in earlier games is just a place where random people tell you the basics of the game. In VII, its played in reverse with people asking Cloud how to do stuff so Cloud is in effect the teacher instead of the other way around. That's why I said not to confuse it with some of the later tutorial schools cause its a bit different from a story standpoint cause you can skip the tutorial schools in earlier games cause they only serve as a gameplay reference but in VII, they help to establish Cloud's false identity and later games simply weave it into pauses in the story.

Yes but aside from Clouds tutorials there was also an extra school was there not that gave indepth gameplay tutorials.

Wolf Kanno
04-03-2011, 05:58 AM
I had found something weird in this game, but didn't mention it. I had gotten Shadow after Zozo and slept at the inn at the closest city. I got this weird cutscene with a couple of guys who I've never seen before. I can't remember what it was about, but it was pretty random. What was that about?

If Shadow is in your party when you go sleep in an inn in either Kohligen, Jidoor, or Thamasa; Shadow has a dream about his past when he was known as Clyde and traveled with his partner Baram as train robbers called Shadow. Shadow's entire backstory is told this way. There are six dreams in total.

1) Shadow remembers his friend Baram and begins to regret his past.

2) Shadow remembers the time him and Baram successfully steal a million gil from a train. Baram creates their train robber title as Shadow.

3) Baram and Clyde barely escape a robbery gone bad. Baram is badly injured and knows he's not going to make it and fears what their pursuers will do to him. He begs Clyde to kill him but Clyde can't bring himself to do it and runs away leaving Baram to his death.

4) Clyde is badly injured and walks into Thamasa, where he meets Interceptor and a beautiful unknown woman.

5) Clyde is seen leaving Strago's house. Interceptor comes after him. Clyde tells him that he's leaving this town and wants him to stay behind to watch after the child. He leaves and Interceptor thinks about it but eventually leaves with Clyde.

6) This dream has several conditions, its only obtainable in the WoR, Shadow has to have died at the Floating Continent. Relm has a dream where she's little and asking Strago where her father is. Interceptor leaves the room.

Yes but aside from Clouds tutorials there was also an extra school was there not that gave indepth gameplay tutorials.

No, there are two places with a tutorial center in VII. One is in Sector with the 7th Heaven Bar, where some punks and some fighting kids ask Cloud to explain all the basics in the game. The second one is in Junon where Cloud meets the ghosts of all these people since they obviously were crushed by the falling plate. Once again, Cloud explains everything. There really is not traditional tutorial school in VII. It's all Cloud. :D

Flying Arrow
04-04-2011, 02:23 PM

Are you referring to the basement in Junon with the ghosts of the Sector 7 guys? I actually can't remember if its Cloud or the ghosts who does the tutorial there..

Wolf Kanno
04-04-2011, 04:35 PM
If memory serves me correct, they will mention they learned something advanced, but Cloud still offers the big explanation. Its more of a dialogue than just the characters monologue gameplay information like the older games. As I said, the tutorial has a better interface. in terms of keeping the narrative.

Big D
04-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Lots of fascinating titbits in this thread! Some are fairly common knowledge, but most are things I've never come across or noticed before. To everyone who's posted, thanks and good researching.
52. Gau and Gogo cannot use the Merit Award in the GBA version of VI cause SE learned about "Wind God Gau".Interesting... I'm not familiar with this - do tell.
78. Cid actually has a the longest last name of the Cid's in FF. His full name is Cid Del Norte Marquez and his name roughly translates as "Cid, son of Marquis from the north". He is also one of three Cid's who actually dies.FFXII's Doctor Cid (Cidolfus Demen Bunansa) actually wins by a couple of letters :)

Del Murder
04-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it might have because it's pretty obvious and I'm surprised I overlooked it:

FFVI is the first FF game without a constant party member. That is, in every FF game before it there is at least one character that is in your party from start to finish. This continues in FFVII-IX but reverts back in X-XII (Tidus, Vaan, and your FFXI PC are always with you as far as I remember), though it switches again in XIII.

Hollycat
04-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it might have because it's pretty obvious and I'm surprised I overlooked it:

FFVI is the first FF game without a constant party member. That is, in every FF game before it there is at least one character that is in your party from start to finish. This continues in FFVII-IX but reverts back in X-XII (Tidus, Vaan, and your FFXI PC are always with you as far as I remember), though it switches again in XIII.
got some of ur numbers mixed up buddy.

Del Murder
04-07-2011, 07:15 PM
What do you mean, buddy?

Hollycat
04-07-2011, 07:21 PM
What do you mean, buddy?

NEVER MIND! I missunderstood what you had said as the first game where you can choose every party member, and in 7 if you have cloud you have to use him, same in 9 with zidane, whereas in 12 you can use any three people. I thought you meant battle party. I apologize, you forgive?

Del Murder
04-07-2011, 07:31 PM
By party member I mean with the group. Not 'choose your party', though it is true that FFVI is the first game you can choose your party! (not counting 'choosing your jobs' at the start of FFI)

FFI - all 4 characters are with you throughout the game
FFII - Frioniel, Guy, Maria always with you
FFIII - all 4 characters in the NES version, Luneth in the DS version
FFIV - Cecil
FFV - Bartz
FFVI - no one!
FFVII - you lose Cloud when he goes crazy
FFVIII - party splits sometimes, and also the flashbacks with Laguna
FFIX - you are Vivi solo during the first sequence, other instances
FFX - Tidus never leaves (unfortunately)
FFXI - pretty obvious you are always you!
FFXII - Vaan never leaves (though he adds nothing to the plot)
FFXIII - party changes constantly (whenever the scene changes, since this is just one big movie)

Hollycat
04-07-2011, 07:38 PM
By party member I mean with the group. Not 'choose your party', though it is true that FFVI is the first game you can choose your party! (not counting 'choosing your jobs' at the start of FFI)

FFI - all 4 characters are with you throughout the game
FFII - Frioniel, Guy, Maria always with you
FFIII - all 4 characters in the NES version, Luneth in the DS version
FFIV - Cecil
FFV - Bartz
FFVI - no one!
FFVII - you lose Cloud when he goes crazy
FFVIII - party splits sometimes, and also the flashbacks with Laguna
FFIX - you are Vivi solo during the first sequence, other instances
FFX - Tidus never leaves (unfortunately)
FFXI - pretty obvious you are always you!
FFXII - Vaan never leaves (though he adds nothing to the plot)FFXIII - party changes constantly (whenever the scene changes, since this is just one big movie)

Hate him so much, I much rather would have had a baanga party member, or a moogle.

Wolf Kanno
04-08-2011, 06:12 AM
Lots of fascinating titbits in this thread! Some are fairly common knowledge, but most are things I've never come across or noticed before. To everyone who's posted, thanks and good researching.
52. Gau and Gogo cannot use the Merit Award in the GBA version of VI cause SE learned about "Wind God Gau".Interesting... I'm not familiar with this - do tell.

Cat Scratch is a move from the Rage Black Cat that pretty much dos 4x physical damage all the time, making it really easy to get it to do max damage at early levels.

Cyan's Kazekiri (Tempest) blade radomly casts Wind Slash and gets a bonus with the Catscratch ability doing higher than normal damage. Give Gau the Offering and Merit award so he can equip the Tempest and attack four times using boosted Wind Slash moves. After the SNES version, Gau can't use Merit Awards because of this combo, and now in the GBA version, Gogo can't use it either cause you could set him up the same way.

78. Cid actually has a the longest last name of the Cid's in FF. His full name is Cid Del Norte Marquez and his name roughly translates as "Cid, son of Marquis from the north". He is also one of three Cid's who actually dies.FFXII's Doctor Cid (Cidolfus Demen Bunansa) actually wins by a couple of letters :)[/QUOTE]

Del Norte Marquez is his last name since its technically a title. Del means Of, Norte means North, and Marquez is a noble title. "Of North Marquez"

I don't know too many people who would use The, Of, a, and an as middle names. John Of Adams ;)

It's not very different from O'Brien or MacArthur since the O and Mac are shortened words "Of Brien" and Mac being Gaelic for "Son Of".

Back to the list...
161. is Del's entry

162. VI is the last game in the series to not have a run button

163. speaking of... VI is the last numbered FF game to feature the skills Dash, Double-hand, and Dual Wield.

Del Murder
04-08-2011, 06:43 PM
I wonder if we can get all the way to 200. We should compile this list somewhere. This is a great example of something that would make a good page/article for the CMS enabled site.

Wolf Kanno
04-08-2011, 07:01 PM
200 is pretty feasible, I was just tired last night and only posted three. I also had to faq check one which didn't make it.

Jiro
04-09-2011, 02:35 AM
162. VI is the last game in the series to not have a run button

I'm pretty sure there is a run button. I know there is in the GBA version and PS version. Equip that relic for 4x speed! :monster:

Wolf Kanno
04-09-2011, 03:32 AM
It was added in the ports but if you play the original FFIV and VI, their is no run button, you get the running speed by equipping the sprint shoes instead. After SE realized how stupid it was not to have it after VII and VIII, they've implemented them into every FF port thus far. :choc:

Jiro
04-11-2011, 05:52 PM
I see! You never fail to teach me something new WK. I wish I had been exposed to the originals, they sound delightfully strange xD

qwertysaur
04-11-2011, 09:45 PM
I may have missed it being said but it is the last Final Fantasy that characters learn Magic through leveling up.

Also again not sure if it has been said but Relm is the only Pictomancer in the entire franchise.

Strago has the most spells learned of any blue mage in the series when he joins your party.

Wolf Kanno
04-15-2011, 09:35 PM
167. There are 3 ways to obtain the spell Ultima in VI. 1) Through the Ragnarok Esper. 2) Through the Paladin Shield. 3) Getting Terra to Level 99.

168. Aria Di Mezzo Carattere translates to Aria of the Half Character.

169. Terra, Celes, Edgar, Sabin, and Cyan are the only characters who technically benefit from getting them to level 99. Terra and Celes naturally learn spells all the way to max level, Sabin and Cyan learn their respective techniques to the final levls, and Edgar's tool's utilize his levels in the damage formula.

170. Despite being the monk class, Sabin never utilizes the legendary monk skill Kick as one of his Blitzs.

171. Terra's theme is the only theme in the series that plays double roles as a character theme and as the world map theme.

172. VI is the first game in the series whose Chocobo Theme is a radical departure from the regular Chocobo themes from previous games. Being closer to nature with the Black Chocobo Theme over the regular yellow chocobo theme. This will actually stay as a trend for the later installments.

173. VI is the first FF game that utilized Mode 7 to create faux 3D for the airships, being the first FF to allow you to control elevation like a real flying vessel.

174. With the exception of Umaro and Gogo, every character in VI has lost a personal loved one in their backstory, wither it be a lover (Locke, Setzer, Cyan, Mog, Shadow) or a family member (Gau, Edgar, Sabin, Celes, Terra, Strago, Relm)

175. The only thing the Stamina stat affects in the game is the effectiveness of Poison and Regen status, as well as Instant death elements.

blackmage_nuke
04-16-2011, 07:20 AM
170. Despite being the monk class, Sabin never utilizes the legendary monk skill Kick.

His desperation attack uses a kicking sprite

espritduo
04-16-2011, 10:28 AM
^ Which happens to look uncannily like Yang's Kick sprite. Also...

169. Terra, Celes, Edgar, Sabin, and Cyan are the only characters who technically benefit from getting them to level 99. Terra and Celes naturally learn spells all the way to max level, Sabin and Cyan learn their respective techniques to the final levls, and Edgar's tool's utilize his levels in the damage formula.

Not true. ALL(well, 99%) attacks in FFVI use level as a damage modifier. Since stats don't raise on level up, the actual level of a character is the only thing that makes attacks do more damage as you level up. If this wasn't the case, characters would never do any more damage with any of their attacks at level 1 than they do at level 99, barring Esper bonuses and equipment. Also, the success rates of non-damaging abilities like Steal, Sketch, and Control are based on your level compared to the enemy's.

172. VI is the first game in the series whose Chocobo Theme is a radical departure from the regular Chocobo themes from previous games. Being closer to nature with the Black Chocobo Theme over the regular yellow chocobo theme. This will actually stay as a trend for the later installments.

Not sure what you mean by this, but FFVI's Chocobo Theme falls right in line with all the other Chocobo themes and follows the same harmony. It's fancier and more complex, yes, but so is all the music of FFVI compared to the previous games, and if you follow the Chocobo theme down the line from the original in FFII, it has continually evolved and been enhanced in every game. There really isn't anything "radically" different about Techno de Chocobo compared to previous themes. In fact, the Black Chocobo themes from FFIV and FFV(Samba and Mambo de Chocobo) still follow the same harmony as the basic chocobo theme, so there isn't anything particularly special about them either, apart from the style of the song.

Just for comparison's sake, here's the main chocobo themes from FFII-FFVI, and Samba de Chocobo from FFIV:

FFII - Chocobo! (http://www.espritduo.com/music/FFII%20-%20Chocobo!.mp3)
FFIII - Chocobos! (http://www.espritduo.com/music/FFIII%20-%20Chocobos!.m4a)
FFIV - Choco-chocobo (http://www.espritduo.com/music/FFIV%20-%20Choco-chocobo.m4a)
FFV - Go Go Boco! (http://www.espritduo.com/music/FFV%20-%20Go%20Go%20Boco!.m4a)
FFVI - Techno de Chocobo (http://www.espritduo.com/music/FFVI%20-%20Techno%20de%20Chocobo.m4a)
FFIV - Samba de Chocobo! (http://www.espritduo.com/music/FFIV%20-%20Samba%20de%20Chocobo!.m4a)

173. VI is the first FF game that utilized Mode 7 to create faux 3D.

Not true, either. Both FFIV and FFV use Mode 7 for various effects, although certainly not as much as FFVI did.

174. With the exception of Umaro and Gogo, every character in VI has lost a personal loved one in their backstory, wither it be a lover (Locke, Setzer, Cyan, Mog, Shadow) or a family member (Gau, Edgar, Sabin, Celes, Terra, Strago, Relm)

Celes's parents are never touched upon in FFVI, so it is unknown whether they are really dead or even if they ever existed at all. All we know is that she was raised by the Empire from birth. Whether she was found abandoned, kidnapped from her parents, given up at the Emperor's request, purposely conceived for the Magitek program, or even artificially born in a lab is completely unknown. Of course, one could possibly still lump her in with the rest by virtue of Cid's death in the World of Ruin if you choose not to feed him.

Also, Strago is not Relm's real grandfather, so he has no familial connection to her mother. An NPC mentions he was just a friend of the family/distantly related during your initial visit to Thamasa. Again, though, one could connect Strago with Relm's mother simply by virtue of him knowing her well enough to be willing to take care of her kid when she died and Shadow left.

175. The only thing the Stamina stat affects in the game is the effectiveness of Poison and Regen status.

This is not the only effect Stamina plays. Stamina's primary effect is to act as resistance to instant death/gravity attacks. The higher your stamina, the less likely you will be hit by attacks such as Doom/Death, Break, W. Wind, Demi/Gravity, and the like. Also, Stamina affects the amount of HP you get with each step when wearing the Tintinnabar/Tintinnabulum relic.

Sorry to be so nit-picky, but misinformation is a pet peeve of mine.

Wolf Kanno
04-16-2011, 08:15 PM
170. Despite being the monk class, Sabin never utilizes the legendary monk skill Kick.

His desperation attack uses a kicking sprite

^ Which happens to look uncannily like Yang's Kick sprite. Also...

Which is my bad cause later at night I was doing some research and noticed Sabin's Desperation Attack animation. I'll change this one to say he never uses it as a blitz.

Not true. ALL(well, 99%) attacks in FFVI use level as a damage modifier. Since stats don't raise on level up, the actual level of a character is the only thing that makes attacks do more damage as you level up. If this wasn't the case, characters would never do any more damage with any of their attacks at level 1 than they do at level 99, barring Esper bonuses and equipment. Also, the success rates of non-damaging abilities like Steal, Sketch, and Control are based on your level compared to the enemy's.

This is my bad, I've never actually checked an algorithm faq before for the game so I only noticed the level affect when I was trying to level up Edgar and despite raising his MA stat at the time, he kept systematically getting better with AutoCrossbow. I probably never noticed cause I usually level up the character based on their preference. It's difficult to notice levels affecting Blitz and magic when your raising Strength and Magic respectively. :D

I'll concede to this one.

Not sure what you mean by this, but FFVI's Chocobo Theme falls right in line with all the other Chocobo themes and follows the same harmony. It's fancier and more complex, yes, but so is all the music of FFVI compared to the previous games, and if you follow the Chocobo theme down the line from the original in FFII, it has continually evolved and been enhanced in every game. There really isn't anything "radically" different about Techno de Chocobo compared to previous themes. In fact, the Black Chocobo themes from FFIV and FFV(Samba and Mambo de Chocobo) still follow the same harmony as the basic chocobo theme, so there isn't anything particularly special about them either, apart from the style of the song.

Just for comparison's sake, here's the main chocobo themes from FFII-FFVI, and Samba de Chocobo from FFIV:

FFII - Chocobo! (http://www.espritduo.com/music/FFII%20-%20Chocobo%21.mp3)
FFIII - Chocobos! (http://www.espritduo.com/music/FFIII%20-%20Chocobos%21.m4a)
FFIV - Choco-chocobo (http://www.espritduo.com/music/FFIV%20-%20Choco-chocobo.m4a)
FFV - Go Go Boco! (http://www.espritduo.com/music/FFV%20-%20Go%20Go%20Boco%21.m4a)
FFVI - Techno de Chocobo (http://www.espritduo.com/music/FFVI%20-%20Techno%20de%20Chocobo.m4a)
FFIV - Samba de Chocobo! (http://www.espritduo.com/music/FFIV%20-%20Samba%20de%20Chocobo%21.m4a)

This has to do with the style of the theme, the main melody is the same of course (otherwise no one would recognize it) but the musical styling is closer to the Black Chocobo variation where the Chocobo theme is redone in a different musical style. I only say its radical because it is the main yellow chocobo's theme as opposed to a special variation like Black or even the Fat Chocobo. While technology has certainly improved the quality of the tracks and Uematsu has used new techniques to enhance it over the years, VI is the first one where the main chocobo theme is presented in a new style with a semi-techno experiemental vibe. Its not the typical light theme from earlier entries.

173. VI is the first FF game that utilized Mode 7 to create faux 3D. Not true, either. Both FFIV and FFV use Mode 7 for various effects, although certainly not as much as FFVI did.

You missed the last part of that statement, I'm not claiming VI was the first to use Mode 7, but it was the first FF to use it to create a fake 3D visual affect, most obvious in the Magitech march onto Narshe in the opening, Chocobo riding, and using the airship. Granted Seiken Denetsu 2 was the first to pull this off but VI was the first to go this far, IV and V's Mode 7 only created the idea the world looked Round but it still comes across as two 2d planes moving over each other. VI allowed you to change the elevation and do quick turns so I would say its more faux 3D than IV and V :p

Celes's parents are never touched upon in FFVI, so it is unknown whether they are really dead or even if they ever existed at all. All we know is that she was raised by the Empire from birth. Whether she was found abandoned, kidnapped from her parents, given up at the Emperor's request, purposely conceived for the Magitek program, or even artificially born in a lab is completely unknown. Of course, one could possibly still lump her in with the rest by virtue of Cid's death in the World of Ruin if you choose not to feed him.

Also, Strago is not Relm's real grandfather, so he has no familial connection to her mother. An NPC mentions he was just a friend of the family/distantly related during your initial visit to Thamasa. Again, though, one could connect Strago with Relm's mother simply by virtue of him knowing her well enough to be willing to take care of her kid when she died and Shadow left.

You are being far too literal here. I don't believe that family has to extend to just blood relatives. If you want to get into semantics Celes does lose her parents and this can still apply even if they are alive since they were not a part of her life. Still, if we are to count Dissidia for anything, there is a Mognet Letter where a moogle mentions Celes' Suicide attempt, which for most would be enough to say Squenix counts Cid's death as canon in VI.

Strago easily loses a "daughter" with Clyde's lover. If he was close enough to the family to raise Relm, I would say Strago may have thought of Relm's mother as family. If you want to be technical, I can place him in his own category as losing a close friend. ;)

175. The only thing the Stamina stat affects in the game is the effectiveness of Poison and Regen status. This is not the only effect Stamina plays. Stamina's primary effect is to act as resistance to instant death/gravity attacks. The higher your stamina, the less likely you will be hit by attacks such as Doom/Death, Break, W. Wind, Demi/Gravity, and the like. Also, Stamina affects the amount of HP you get with each step when wearing the Tintinnabar/Tintinnabulum relic.

Good to know. I still feel its a worthless stat though. :p

Sorry to be so nit-picky, but misinformation is a pet peeve of mine.

I don't mind, I prefer accuracy myself and I don't necessarily claim to know everything about VI. Though this may have been more of a battle of semantics for some. :p

Hollycat
04-16-2011, 11:44 PM
[QUOTE=Big D;2968159]\163. speaking of... VI is the last numbered FF game to feature the skills Dash, Double-hand, and Dual Wield.

I was about to object to this in regards to crisis core, then I saw the part of numbered ff game. I was also going to object with their being two handed weapons in every ff game after this (except X) but Then I saw SKILL, and those aren't skills.

well played worthy adversary

blackmage_nuke
04-17-2011, 01:47 AM

Strago easily loses a "daughter" with Clyde's lover. If he was close enough to the family to raise Relm, I would say Strago may have thought of Relm's mother as family. If you want to be technical, I can place him in his own category as losing a close friend. ;)

Or nobody else wanted to raise the little brat, after all Thamasa is a town of xenophobes and she was the daughter of an outsider.

Dont know if this has been mentioned but FFVI is the first FF with trains

Jiro
04-17-2011, 03:12 AM
Dont know if this has been mentioned but FFVI is the first FF with trains

I think this is my favourite fact out of all of them!

Wolf Kanno
04-28-2011, 07:10 AM
Trains can be 176 then.

177. VI is the only game in the series to have an exclusive world map theme for a specific area (The Veldt)

178. VI is the first game to mostly drop spell items like Red Fangs, Grenades, and other items that cast minor spells.

179. It is the first FF to feature an item that casts a summon though. ;)

180. Umaro is the only character in VI who cannot use magic or summons.

181. There use to be a summon skill in VI but it was dummied out of the game.

182. In the Opening and Ending FMV's in the Anthology version of FFVI, Locke never shows his face despite showing up several times in the videos.

183. Despite the rampant war between fanboys about who is better, Kefka and Sephiroth actually have a few similarities.

a) Both gained their power through unethical experimentation, with th theme of combining humans with something unnatural.
b) Both end up betraying the organizations that created them, and both killed the leaders of said organization.
c) Both have someone swear vengeance against them for killing a loved one.
d) Both of them battle and kill former allies.
e) Both of them use a main character as their personal pawn.
f) Both use angelic imagery for their final forms and both have the same number of wings as their respective titles (Kefka 6, Sephy 7)
g) Both Use Heartless Angel and Chaos Wing in their final forms.
h) Both of them commit genocide
i) Both of them are remembered more for their final boss themes than their actual themes.
j) Both of them end up awakening ancient evil monsters that terrorize their worlds.
k) Despite both being present since the early parts of their games in one form or another, neither is considered the true threat of their games until halfway through.
l) Both of them murder the population of a city
m) Both of them are responsible for the genocide of another race (Cetra and Espers)

184. Even if you change his name Edgar will always use Gerad as his cover name.

185. VI is the first game to have the airship bombardment be a skill.

186. VI is the first FF to not have Chocobo as a summon but rather as a random attack in Setzer's slots.

187. Despite being powerful wielders of magic, neither Terra or Celes can actually equip any of the Mage type gear.

188. VI is the only game in the series that has a minor special scene for using tents. The tents being a different color depending on who is using it.

189. Only Celes, Edgar and Setzer have to be recruited in the WoR, everyone else is optional.

190. Even if you don't bring Celes to the Floating Continent, or recruit Terra in the WoR. Both of them will appear for story reasons during the confrontations with Kefka.

Rantz
04-28-2011, 08:03 AM
This should go up as an FF6 Trivia page on the frontsite when you're fully exhausted!

Spooniest
04-28-2011, 08:04 AM
191. FF6 was the first game to include in-battle cutscenes that involved things like characters walking around and looking at each other. Previously, the story remained outside of battles with the exception of dialogue text in the message window during battle.

Wolf Kanno
04-30-2011, 10:18 PM
192. Until the remakes in IV, Kefka was the first FF villain to have both a first name and last name in the series. (No one knew if Golbez was actually Theodore's real name or not until the DS remake) He is also one of very few villains who actually has a full name with this type of structure.

193. Of all four of his encounters with the party, only Ultros' final encounter before the Floating Continent does not involve him dealing with one of the female cast members. (First encounter was hitting on Terra, tried to drop the weight on Celes, and his hilarious painting from Relm)

194. Mog and Gau have the shortest names for playable characters in the series.

195. Despite being his signature attack in the story, Kefka never uses the Light of Judgment on the party, instead using an attack called Forsaken. LoJ only first appearing as an actual attack in FF Dissidia.

196. Even though Ultros and Siegfried claim to know each other, they never actually appear together in the game.

197. VI is the first game in the series that allows a game over from screwing up a story event. You only get 3 chances to get the opera right. :ffvising:

198. VI is the first game where Holy, Meteor, and Excalibur are not given any real significance in any form in the game, none of them being presented as a legendary artifact.

199. The Dream Stooges, Ultros, and the Imp are some of the few enemies who were given different names in the U.S. script and have been maintained in all future English scripts. The dream stooges are actually all called dream in the Japanese script but each one is a different language. Ultros is actually suppose to be Orthros as in the Greek monster spelling (though they have nothing in common beyond the name), and the Imp is obviously a Japanese water demon called a Kappa and his special gear are all references to the famous cucumber eating demon.

200. One of the weird things about VI's marketing campaign in the U.S. back in the 90s was the fact that a lot of emphasis was given to Mog, who is a minor optional character in the actual game.

He is on the cover of the US boxart

featured in the magazine/comic books ads

and the US commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d15qmRzn2Pc)

Hollycat
05-01-2011, 12:02 AM
the thing about mode 5 and 36 is not correct, ff5 did it with the intro meteor strike

Wolf Kanno
05-01-2011, 05:36 AM
I cleared up 173, which concerned the Mode 7 issue. Though I don't know what you mean about 36?

Also, I would like to point out, that although the list says 200, a few were thrown out (about five or so) so the list hasn't actually reached 200 yet. ;)

blackmage_nuke
05-01-2011, 06:10 AM
Also why are we being slaves to the decimal system? We should aim for 256

VeloZer0
05-01-2011, 06:16 AM
Nice use of the royal 'we' for WK there.

Wolf Kanno
05-01-2011, 06:22 AM
Also why are we being slaves to the decimal system? We should aim for 256

You act like I was going to stop at 200. ;)

Nice use of the royal 'we' for WK there.

:hattip:

Roogle
05-04-2011, 12:11 AM
200. One of the weird things about VI's marketing campaign in the U.S. back in the 90s was the fact that a lot of emphasis was given to Mog, who is a minor optional character in the actual game.

Yes, I suspect that this may be because of the Moogles' early appearance in helping Locke save Terra, and the fact that Mog acts as a guide character in choosing the party during the split scenarios. Maybe they were testing the marketability of having a cute, but tough mascot?

Depression Moon
05-09-2011, 05:36 PM
I saw something weird the other day; I was in the final dungeon and all my party was killed except for Edgar who was in the air at the moment. I was fighting against a ninja and he did two attacks and then did an attack called Ruin on himself that killed him.

Did he basically just give up and say "Well that guy's going to kill me anyway so..."

KainHighwind
05-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Seppuku?

Roogle
05-09-2011, 10:17 PM
I have never heard of that. Are you sure that Edgar performed an attack on himself and was not confused?

Wolf Kanno
05-10-2011, 04:52 AM
Outsider enemy, he will kill himself on the sixth round of combat, according to his battle script (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Outsider_%28Final_Fantasy_VI%29). I could not tell you why though...

Jiro
05-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Ninjas can never be defeated!

Wolf Kanno
05-10-2011, 11:58 PM
This is just me trying to organize the list better. I'm not sure who I'm more annoyed with, people who didn't number their entries, qwert for numbering two of his contributions out of order, or me for not fixing the fact I had to throw out a few and made the order more off kilter... :(

1. VI is the first FF that allows the player to change who is in the party.

2. In the early drafts, Terra was suppose to be a guy around the age of 21.

3. While everyone knows VI has the largest cast, most don't ever mention it also has the largest number of Summons in the main series. 27 in the original version, and 31 in the GBA port.

4. One of VI's main writers was Kaori Tanaka or more commonly known as Soraya Saga, she wrote the characters of the Figaro Bros. as well as Relm and a few other members of the cast. She went on to write the plots of Xenogears and part of Xenosaga.

5. VI is actually the first game to introduce a final boss with an Angel motif, Kefka's god mode having a total of six wings. Also, Heartless Angel (Fallen One in the Woosely script) makes its first appearance in this title.

6. Terra has more Official Artwork than any other FF character in the series (20+)

7. It was the first FF to have moogles with pom poms. I believe this was due to the fact that Mog was a geomancer.

8. FFVI was the first FF to feature limit breaks. They just came a lot rarer than they did in FFVII!

9. VI is the first FF game to introduce Ultima Weapon, both the sword and the monster.

10. VI is the fist game to introduce a super summon more powerful than Bahamut (Crusader), a trend that will continue for the rest of the series.

11. VI is the first game to feature and upgrades summon Odin-Raiden

12. VI is the game that introduced the Gambler job to the series, and the first to use the Slot machine element.

13. Popular Monk staple, Meteor Strike debuted in VI (Suplex in Woosely script)

14. VI is the first game to have a canon themed attached to every playable cast member.

15. Kefka is the first villain to start the story as an underling and be the final boss (Kuja is the only other villain, and that's debatable).

16. VI cast members made a cameo in Secret of Evermore as background characters

17. Terra, Shadow, and Locke were the first 3D FF characters in the series.

19. VI is the game where Maduin (Madeen) debuted in the series.

20 Shadow and Setzer were both originally designed by Nomura Tetsuya

21. VI has the largest amount of English renames in the main cast that have remained canon in the series.

22. VI is the first and possibly the only game in the series to give the full name of each of the main cast in the game.

23. The Cid in FFVI is the first (and to my knowledge only) Cid that doesn't give the party access to an airship or some form of flying vehicle

24. VI is the last game to have an elderly character as a party member. By which I mean a traditional old man with white gray beard who whines about his hip. In fact VI will be the last entry to have a character physically over the age of 50 in the party (Vanille and Fang don't count :P )

25. Forsaken (Kefka's Ultimate Move) is technically the most powerful spell in the entire game with an attack power of 220. To put it in perspective, Ultima has an attack power of something like 160 and Crusader has an attack of something like 190; it only appears weak cause unlike the two spells mentioned, it cannot ignore defense or ignore split damage.

26. VI has more temporary characters than any other FF in the series (15)

27. VI is the first game to have Biggs and Wedge

28. Celes Chere was meant to be a minor character but due to Kitase taking a liking to her, her role was expanded in the game.

29. VI is the first first game to feature non-human party members.

30. VI is the first FF to feature females in a leading role in the series (Terra and Celes)

31. VI is the only game in the series to feature a set of exclusive armor for a character under Status Effect (Kappa)

32. VI is the first FF where you don't have to fight Odin or Bahamut to gain them as summons.

33. VI is the first FF to feature weapons with damage output that can be changed mid-battle by decreasing HP, restoring it, or running out of MP.

34. VI is the first game in the series to utilize interactive elements into abilities (Blitz and Slot).

35. VI has the second highest amount of enemies in the non-online FF games with a total of 372 different enemies (bosses included, course half of that total number is palette swap...). It has the third highest number overall but will probably drop to fourth once XIV takes off. For those wondering, XII has the highest of the non-MMO FFs with 451 different enemies, bosses, marks and rare game.

37. Speaking of which, VI is the only game in the series that introduces the cast through a narration.

38. VI has the most glitches in the entire series with only FFVII coming close to the amount of weird stuff that can happen to cause strange effects.

40. VI is the second of three games to have twins in the story as main party members. The other two being FFIV and FFXII

41. Umaro was suppose to be recruited differently in the original plan for the game, he would be a rare random monster on the overworld map you had to defeat to get him to join you.

42. Gogo as well had a different scenario for obtaining. He would dress up as a party member not currently in your party in the WoR be found randomly in towns. You had to get the party member he was mimicking and try to find him before he left town and took another members persona.

43. Even Sakaguchi and Kitase admit that Gau really has no point in the story, but they wanted to make him anyway.

44. When asked about the fates of Banon, Arvis, and the Narshe Elder in the WoR, Sakaguchi has stated the player should use their own imagination.

45. VI is the only game that has a summon that can hurt it's caster.

46. Speaking of which, VI is the first game in the series to have black magic spells that target the whole party. Though V is the first game to actually have a spell that affects everyone...

47. It wasn't until Dissidia that we western fans finally got an age for Kefka..

48. VI is the only game in the console series, where the Flametongue and Icebrand weapons randomly cast their elemental spells when they attack. It is also the first game in the series to have the Thunderblade (not to be mistaken with the other Lightning based sword, Coral Sword)

49. VI has the longest Final Boss theme in the series (17:38) and the longest ending theme (21:34).

50. Final Fantasy staple, Cactuar made their debut in VI.

51. Though Tonberries debuted in FFV, VI debuted the stronger and meaner Master Tonberry, though it wouldn't be til VII that they acquired their two signature abilities: Knife and Everyone's Grudge.

52. Gau and Gogo cannot use the Merit Award in the GBA version of VI cause SE learned about "Wind God Gau".

53. If you get a characters magic stat to 140 or higher, the damage from magic will overflow and cause it to be reset to 0.

54. AP has two uses in the game, it's the currency point system used to learn spells and it's also used to determine how much time Terra can stay in her Trance mode. This is why even if you have learned every spell, if Terra is in your party, you still get a message that you got AP from the battle.

55. Nobuo Uematsu considers VI to be the last original Final Fantasy (http://www.g-wie-gorilla.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=136&Itemid=18), as many of the core members from the previous entries either quit Square, moved into administrative positions , and the team was replaced with younger members of the company or new people.

56. Nobuo also didn't like writing a theme for a cast so large cause he felt that some would not be as important to the story as other.

57. VI is the first game in the series to have secret characters to recruit (Umaro and Gogo).

58. VI is the only game in the series that has a cursed item that can have the curse removed.

59. There are a total of 3 Memento Rings in the game.

60. Although fixed by the GBA release, their is a bug that makes the Evade stat useless, instead the game takes the evade stat from from your M.Evade which is why the White Cape Relic is so freaking awesome.

62. The first and currently only one to use Amano art in the profiles.

63. If you don't save Shadow and he dies on the Floating Continent, Relm gains Interceptor in combat and he's block and counter for her just like he does for Shadow.

64. VI is the only game in the series where you can actually kill a party member by not doing a specific thing at a certain time.

65. Cait Sith of VII fame, makes his first appearance in VI as an Esper, but the connection doesn't end there. Celes was originally meant to be a real spy for the empire in the early design for the game, a spy who ended up liking the people she was spent to spy on and became conflicted with her allegiance, this scenario is strikingly similar to Cait Sith's story in VII.

66. Locke was originally meant to be a partner and rival to the lead (Terra Bradford) before he became a she. He also originally had the Runic command as well. As they began to iron out the story and details, Locke became the Locke we all know and love. :ffvipatpat:

67. It was the only SNES FF to feature the same sprite resolutions in and out of battle

68. FFVI is the only FF where the player can alter the story to cause characters to die, and it happens at least twice and maybe 3 times (Shadow, Cid, and maybe Sabin though I never lose that part).

69. FFVI is the first FF to feature accessories as equipment slots.

70. FFVI is the first FF to have you acquire magic through AP accumulation.

71. FFVI is the only FF that let's you choose the order in which you complete the story (gathering your characters in the WoR and the scenarios in the WoB).

72. Even though FF has the largest cast, you can beat FFVI with as few as 3 members in your entire party. That's the fewest of any FF.

73. The first game in the series to deal with suicide.

74. The first game in the series to allow all characters to use summons and magic without the aid of a job class system.

75. This one I didn't even know initially. Apparently, Terra gets a stat boost if she is in your party for the final battle against Kefka.

76. Oddly, VI has character artwork for several people who play very minor roles in the game such as Owzer and the Kappa. Yet more important minor characters like Rachael, Maduin, Madonna, and Arvis don't have any known artwork (course I could be wrong about this as much of the character artwork has not been released in the West. Pointing out Terra's blue dress design used as her alt outfit in Dissidia Duodecim, have only recently come to light.)

77. Despite being a large plot element at one point in the game, the party never actually meets Maria.

78. Cid actually has a the longest last name of the Cid's in FF. His full name is Cid Del Norte Marquez and his name roughly translates as "Cid, son of Marquis from the north". He is also one of three Cid's who actually dies.

79. Molulu (Kuku in the Woosely script) is one of the moogles that helps Locke save Terra in the beginning of the game. She is in Mog's party, and the basis for the name of the Mog exclusive relic, Molulu's Charm (Moogle Charm in the Woosely script). The reason for this is because she is suppose to be Mog's girlfriend. :love:

80. VI is the first game that allows you to split up your party and still hav them all participate in dungeons and battles.

81. It also the first game that allows dead party members to be replaced by inactive ones during the final battle.

82. VI is the only game in the series to have Biggs and Wedge as CG renders in the Anthology versions opening.

83. An odd element of Strago is that several of his artwork has him using steam-powered jet bikes and piloting other machines yet in the game he never once uses a machine nor reveals any skill with machinery.

84. Terra's theme is used in five different tracks in VI (Omen, Awakening, Save Them!, Metamorphosis, and Ending Theme)

85. Despite Terra being Half-Esper and Celes being a magically infused Magitech Knight, Relm actually has the best Magic stat in the game, despite Terra having a story reason for being the best magic user.

86. Umaro is the tallest playable character in the series 6' 10".

87. You fight Kefka more times than any other villain in the series (5 times) though it should be noted that three of them are scripted and unwinnable. Seymour from FFX actually has the most real battles among the main villains in the series with a total of four.

90: Final Fantasy VI was the first appearance of Alexander

91. Final Fantasy VI has the first summon that can be lost permanently, when you upgrade Odin into Raiden. Odin can also be lost in FFVIII when he's replaced by Gilgamesh.

92. VI is the first game in the series (before some of the remake retcons) that has the summons called by another name, Phantom Spirits/Espers.

93. There is still no legitimate non-Japanese version of VI that isn't censored in some way.

94. If his Amano artwork is anything to go by, Leo might actually be the first black character in the FF series.

Attachment 34194 (http://forums.eyesonff.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34194) http://forums.eyesonff.com/attachments/final-fantasy-vi/34195d1300740212t-6-things-you-may-not-have-known-about-ffvi-228px-leo_chibi.jpg (http://forums.eyesonff.com/attachments/final-fantasy-vi/34195d1300740212-6-things-you-may-not-have-known-about-ffvi-228px-leo_chibi.jpg)

95. VI is the first game in the series that doesn't take place in a visually predominate Medieval fantasy setting. Instead choosing a Second Revolution style Steampunk setting.

96. VI is one of three FF titles where Odin is actually treated as a real character with a backstory in the plot. (IV and XI are the other two FFs.)

97. VI is the first FF to feature an optional boss that can only be encountered on your airship (Deathgaze).

98. VI is the first FF to feature Chocobos but not have a Chocobo forest, it is actually one of four main FF games to feature Chocobo Farms. (IV, VII, and XII being the other three)

99. VI is the only entry in the series that allows you to play as real moogles :mog:

101. Some of FFVI's enemy designs are identical to their counterparts in FFV. The Ninja, Tonberry, Magic Pot and Mover enemies are all identical looking in both FFV and FFVI. And with the advent of FFVI Advance, you can add Gilgamesh and Leviathan to the list, since their sprites in FFVI are simply the FFV sprites.

102. While FFVI was the first game to feature the monster Atma/Ultima weapon, FFV's Twin Tania looks uncannily like Ultima Weapon (http://www.espritduo.com/images/Atma-Tania.jpg), and was most likely the original concept for its FFVI design.

103. FFVI was the first FF(and one of the only) to feature cameos of characters from previous FF's. FFVI's Gogo and Lonewolf are both characters from FFV. Gilgamesh as well, but he was a later addition to the Advance version after the "Gilgamesh craze" had started with his appearance in FFVIII.

104. Speaking of FFVIII, two of FFVI's new summons for the Advance version were taken from FFVIII, Jumbo Cactuar and Diabolos. Both are completely new sprites made just for FFVI Advance. Also, Diabolos's Dark Messenger is the only Gravity type attack in the game that works on all enemies, regardless of their defense against percentage-based attacks.

105. FFVI was the first FF not to have Axes as a useable weapon. Another notable absence are Bows, and FFVI was the first not to have them since FFI.

106. Doom, Goddess, and Poltergeist represent the elements of Ice, Lightning, and Fire respectively.

107. Doom actually has the most HP of any enemy in the game at 63,000, even more than Kefka, at 62,000. This does not include the new super bosses added to the Advance version, of course.

108. Speaking of the super bosses, Kaiser Dragon was actually in FFVI from the beginning as an unused monster just floating around in the game data, sometimes called Czar Dragon. However, this unused monster is NOT the exact version we fight in the Dragon's Den. The creators of the game went above and beyond and completely revamped the enemy in both appearance and abilities. Take a look at the original and the Advance version. (http://www.espritduo.com/images/czar.jpg)

109. While FFVI is the first appearance of Alexander as a summon, it is not the beginning of Alexander's story. The Amano artwork (http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/a/aa/Amano_Giant_of_Bab-Il.jpg) for the Giant of Babil from FFIV looks exactly like Alexander from FFVI, and is most likely the inspiration for the summon.

110. While Cid doesn't actually give you an airship in FFVI, there is a hidden scene involving him and Setzer on board the Blackjack that shows FFVI's Cid being very "Cid-like" in his appreciation for airships. If you walk back to the grounded Blackjack after the peace talks in Vector instead of going to Albrook you can see this scene.

111. Kefka is not as powerful as he wants you to believe during his attack on Thamasa. He may seem invincible during his battle against the red Ifrit-looking Esper, but that's only because he has a Paladin Shield equipped for that fight.

112. Speaking of odd equips, Banon has the incredibly powerful and rare Punisher rod equipped while he is in your group. But because he has no MP, he can't utilize it's "use MP to inflict critical hit" added ability, and combined with his pitiful strength, he still can't do very much damage with the weapon.

113. FFVI is the only FF to visibly keep track of how many steps you've taken in the game.

114. FFVI was the first appearance of the Brachiosaur enemy. It's also the only game to actually translate it that way. The enemy appears in FFVII as Vlakorados, FFIV Advance as Brachioreidos, and FFX as Thu'ban.

115. FFVI was the first FF to have a vocal track, sort of. And no, I don't mean the opera song. It actually had a real song with lyrics sung by real people that never made it into the final version of the game. The song is called Approaching Sentiment. (http://www.espritduo.com/music/approaching_sentiment.mp3)

116. Those books you find in Cyan's room at Mt. Zozo aren't just about machinery. They're actually dirty magazines, but they've always been translated as "book of secrets" in the SNES version, and "special samurai techniques" in the Advance version. Poor Cyan isn't quite as honorable as he would have you believe, eh?

117. If you want to kill the annoying KatanaSoul/Samurai Soul in one hit, just have Relm Sketch him. She'll have a chance to use his own Slayer's Edge against him and kill him instantly. Make sure you have a Cat's Hood equipped, since KatanaSoul gives more money than any other enemy in the game(30,000 Gil; 60,000 with the Cat's Hood).

118. Equipping RunningShoes on Celes and Sabin before the fight against the Tentacles turns another annoying battle into a cakewalk. A side effect of auto-Haste is that you are immune to Slow. A side effect of being immune to Slow is that the Tentacle's grab attacks won't work on a character that can't be first inflicted with Slow.

119. VI was the last FF to be mis-titled when it crossed the Pacific and even today, it is still referred by fans and Wii-Ware of all things as FFIII.

120. Thanks to three changes in the GBA port of VI, 3 of the major choices given to the player no longer matter.

a) Thanks to the Leviathan battle, its now possible to obtain all of Mog's Dances in the WoR meaning you can ditch him for the Gold Hairpin now.

b) Thanks to the addition of the Jumbo Cactuar Esper, who gives a +2 to speed, fans can now turn Odin into Raiden without fearing they are missing out on a Speed bonus. (for those wondering, Odin was the only esper that gives a Speed bonus before then, so some fans wouldn't change him to Raiden until after they maxed out their characters.)

c) Thanks to the save after the final battle feature, there is now a legitimate way to obtain a second (technically infinite) Ragnarok sword, meaning you can now opt for the Esper instead and spend less time teaching everyone Ultima and equipping almost everyone with dual Lightbringer swords.

121. VI is the only game that features a summon who doesn't attack, heal, defend, inflict status, or buff. Instead it transforms enemies into items and is the basis for the Morph Materia.

122. Ragnarok is also the only summon in the series to be based off a weapon, instead of a monster.

123. It is impossible to actually obtain all the Rages for Gau. Four of them are unobtainable despite the code saying otherwise and a fifth one has Rage status but no slot in the code. The GBA version put one of them back in (Death Warden) but Typhon (Chupon), Siegfried (Coliseum variant), Proto Armor, and Tonberries cannot be obtained.

124. Despite never being able to obtain Proto Armor and Tonberry as Rages, they still appear on the Veldt. WTF?

125. VI is one of four FF games that have Throw items that do magic damage, the Skeans. Only FFV, FFXI, and FFTactics have these items or a similar equivalent.

126. The Shock ability debuts in FFVI, it is also the only game where the ability cost no MP whatsoever.

127. Several skills/abilities have debuted in VI that have never been used again in the series in one form or another. They are: Tools, Runic, Sketch, Possess, and Rage.

128. Despite being a glitch created from the Relm/Sketch bug. Dissidia acknowledges the Drill as a helmet.

129. Rachel is the only non-enemy NPC in the game to get her own theme.

130. VI proves that babies come from sparkles.... okay more seriously, VI is the first game in the series that touched upon issues of sex such as teen pregnancy, and even went so far as to show a birth, and create a comical gnarm sequence of Terra's parents getting it on.

131: Final Fantasy VI has the first time where a specific party member must be kept alive, Banon. This concept is later used in Final Fantasy games like Final Fantasy Tactics (Several) and Final Fantasy VIII.

132: Final Fantasy VI has the first character that is fought as a boss prior to recruitment, Umaro. Armarat and Steiner from Final Fantasy IX Kimahri from Final Fantasy X are the only other examples of this.

133. FFVI was the first FF to have a final battle theme with a real name, "Dancing Mad". Up to that point every final battle theme had just been called "Final Battle", or "Last Battle", or in the case of FFIII, "This is the Last Battle", or even just "Battle 2", in the case of FFII. FFI didn't even HAVE a final battle theme!

134. FFVI was the only FF to have the "Kappa/Imp" status. The status has instead been "Frog" in all the other FF's it's appeared in.

135. FFVI was the last FF to not have an Ultimania. FFVIII was the real first Ultimania, and FFVII originally didn't have one, but it has since been given several due to all of its spin-offs and popularity.

136. The alternate translation of Kefka's name, spelled as "Cefca" was actually mentioned in the Advance version of FFVI. One of the Figaro Castle guards talks about how some people are spelling Kefka's name like "Cefca" and that it shouldn't matter what he's called.

137. All of Edgar's Tools can be stolen from various mechanical enemies in the final dungeon, including such rarities as the Chainsaw and Air Anchor.

138. Of all the many espers you obtain in the game, only a very few actually need to be fought beforehand, which is unusual for an FF. Those few are Ifrit, Shiva, Tritoch, Gilgamesh, Leviathan, and Cactuar(although you actually fight Jumbo Cactuar).

139. The theme for Jidoor and Owser's mansion in the World of Ruin is actually an updated version of an unused dungeon theme from FFII.

140. During the "battle" against Kefka in front of the Sealed Gate, if you wait and don't attack Kefka to end the battle, he will sooner or later use a very odd move simply called "TERRA". It has no animation, and the attack seems to freeze the game for a second, and then miss. What it is supposed to do and why it is there is a mystery...

141. You cannot actually acquire any of the floating treasure in Owser's Mnasion. The game says you get stuff, but you don't.

142. Hidon is the only boss in the game that can be fought and beaten as many times as you like, outside of a few notable Advace version additions, of course. This was intentionally done so that Strago would always be able to learn Grand Train, even if you killed Hidon.

143. Every character's desperation attack inflicts massive defense-ignoring damage to a single opponent, except two. Strago's and Relm's desperation attacks are unique in that they attempt to instantly kill and instantly petrify the enemy. This of course means that their desperation attacks are useless against bosses and enemies immune to instant death or petrification.

144. Speaking of desperation attacks, Sabin's Tiger Break is unique because it actually features a unique position for his sprite, the flying kick position.

145. Saintly Beam is the only attack in the game besides Alexander that is a multi-target Holy-elemental attack.

146. Mt. Koltz is exactly 13,476 meters tall. This makes it even taller than Mt. Everest.

147. Doma is the oldest nation in the FFVI world, and was actually founded 200 years before the War of the Magi ended.

148. The game does a poor job of explaining this about the Empire's battle against Doma. The war between them had actually been going on for about 3 years before the game started according to the timeline.

149. According to the old official guide, there are currently four great powers in VI's world. Narshe, The Empire, Figaro, and Jidoor. Places like Mobliz and Nikeah are considered lesser city states.

150. In the non-canon story by Soraya Saga (one of VI's scenario writers) about the Figaro Bros. She creates an allusion to FFIV with the kingdom's rite of passage involving slaying an Ant Lion.

151. Locke, Relm , and Umaro have more exclusive Relics than any other characters in your party(2) . In the GBA version, Umaro has the most with 3.

152. Terra and Cloud have several similarities to each other:

- Both are former members of their games evil organizations
- Both were used and experimented on by said evil organization
- Both of them suffer from a form of amnesia caused by said experiments.
- Both of them end up fighting villains who are super soldiers (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PsychoPrototype) who are the result of evil experiments gone horribly right (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoneHorriblyRight) to create super soldiers.
- Both of their villains have an unhealthy obsession with them.
- Both of them are removed from your party during a point in the story with a coma that is caused by events that reveal their true nature, and a major event has to go by to finally make them realize the truth about their pasts.
- Both of them lose someone who was like a mentor (Leo for Terra, Zack and Aerith for Cloud)
- Both of them are equally above average in terms of melee combat and using magic statistically
- Both of them are overly melancholic and spend a good chunk of their character development wangsting (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Wangst)on their emotional problems and troubled pasts.
- Both of them end up taking care of orphans.
- A large part of both of their stories in the early parts revolve around them reluctantly joining an anti-establishment organization that is eventually wiped out in the story.
- Both of them were the key to letting the bad guys get the games ultimate doomsday McGuffin, Terra opened the Sealed Gate and Cloud gave Sephiroth the Black Materia.(Not that this is actually unique in FF games but special points are given cause only these two could have done it thanks to unique genetic contributions.
- Both of them are sexually assaulted (Terra by Ultros, Cloud by Don Corneo)

153: VI is the only game in the series that has a paintbrush as a weapon.

154: Gau is still the only character in the series who can't use a weapon.

155: Kefka has the highest on screen, permanent body count in the series. Debatably, he has the highest body count in the series

156. VI is the first game to actually name their resistance group.

157. Setzer's theme is the second most used leitmotif in the game. Appearing in his own theme of course, Epitaph, and twice in the ending theme (once during his curtain call, the second during the actual credits)

158. VI is the last game to have a "tutorial school" by which I mean a building with people who give you hints on how to do things. This should not be confused with Cloud giving tutorials in VII or the tediously long lectures by Quistis in VIII.

159. VI is the first game not to feature the Dancer NPC who does a silly dance for you when prompted.

160. VI is the first game to bring in the Weapon as a boss enemy. Though Omega from V is counted by some fans, he actually doesn't use the term Weapon in his name and the first true Omega Weapon is in VIII.

161. VI is the only game that has the Creature Suit type armor.

162. In some of Sabin's character artwork, he actually sports a swanky beard.

163. FFVI is the first FF game without a constant party member. That is, in every FF game before it there is at least one character that is in your party from start to finish. This continues in FFVII-IX but reverts back in X-XII (Tidus, Vaan, and your FFXI PC are always with you as far as I remember), though it switches again in XIII.

164. VI is the last game in the series to not have a run button

165. speaking of... VI is the last numbered, non-MMO FF game to feature the skills Dash, Double-hand, and Dual Wield.

166. it is the last Final Fantasy that characters learn Magic through leveling up.

167. Relm is the only Pictomancer in the entire franchise.

168. Strago has the most spells learned of any blue mage character in the series when he joins your party. Though FFV has the most Blue Magic spells in the series. ;)

169. There are 3 ways to obtain the spell Ultima in VI. 1) Through the Ragnarok Esper. 2) Through the Paladin Shield. 3) Getting Terra to Level 99.

170. Aria Di Mezzo Carattere translates to Aria of the Half Character.

171. Terra's theme is the only theme in the series that plays double roles as a character theme and as the world map theme.

172. VI is the first game in the series whose Chocobo Theme is a radical departure from the regular Chocobo themes from previous games, in terms of music style. Being closer to nature with the Black Chocobo Theme over the regular yellow chocobo theme. This will actually stay as a trend for the later installments.

173. VI is the first FF game that utilized Mode 7 to create faux 3D for the airships, being the first FF to allow you to control elevation like a real flying vessel. It also used the technology more than any other Square game on the SNES.

174. FFVI is the first FF with trains

175. VI is the only game in the series to have an exclusive world map theme for a specific area (The Veldt)

176. VI is the first game to mostly drop spell items like Red Fangs, Grenades, and other items that cast minor spells.

177. It is the first FF to feature an item that casts a summon though. ;)

178. Umaro is the only character in VI who cannot use magic or summons.

179. There use to be a summon skill in VI but it was dummied out of the game.

180. In the Opening and Ending FMV's in the Anthology version of FFVI, Locke never shows his face despite showing up several times in the videos.

181. Despite the rampant war between fanboys about who is better, Kefka and Sephiroth actually have a few similarities.

a) Both gained their power through unethical experimentation, with th theme of combining humans with something unnatural.
b) Both end up betraying the organizations that created them, and both killed the leaders of said organization.
c) Both have someone swear vengeance against them for killing a loved one.
d) Both of them battle and kill former allies.
e) Both of them use a main character as their personal pawn.
f) Both use angelic imagery for their final forms and both have the same number of wings as their respective titles (Kefka 6, Sephy 7)
g) Both Use Heartless Angel and Chaos Wing in their final forms.
i) Both of them are remembered more for their final boss themes than their actual themes.
j) Both of them end up awakening ancient evil monsters that terrorize their worlds.
k) Despite both being present since the early parts of their games in one form or another, neither is considered the true threat of their games until halfway through.
m) Both of them are responsible for the genocide of another race (Cetra and Espers)

182. Even if you change his name Edgar will always use Gerad as his cover name.

183. VI is the first game to have the airship bombardment be a skill.

184. VI is the first FF to not have Chocobo as a summon but rather as a random attack in Setzer's slots.

185. Despite being powerful wielders of magic, neither Terra or Celes can actually equip any of the Mage type gear.

186. VI is the only game in the series that has a minor special scene for using tents. The tents being a different color depending on who is using it.

187. Only Celes, Edgar and Setzer have to be recruited in the WoR, everyone else is optional.

188. Even if you don't bring Celes to the Floating Continent, or recruit Terra in the WoR. Both of them will appear for story reasons during the confrontations with Kefka.

189. With the exception of Umaro and Gogo, every character in VI has lost a personal loved one in their backstory, wither it be a lover (Locke, Setzer, Cyan, Mog, Shadow) or a family member (Gau, Edgar, Sabin, Celes, Terra, Strago, Relm)

190. The only thing the Stamina stat affects in the game is the effectiveness of Poison and Regen status, as well as Instant death elements.

191. FF6 was the first game to include in-battle cutscenes that involved things like characters walking around and looking at each other. Previously, the story remained outside of battles with the exception of dialogue text in the message window during battle.

192. Until the remakes in IV, Kefka was the first FF villain to have both a first name and last name in the series. (No one knew if Golbez was actually Theodore's real name or not until the DS remake) He is also one of very few villains who actually has a full name with this type of structure.

193. Of all four of his encounters with the party, only Ultros' final encounter before the Floating Continent does not involve him dealing with one of the female cast members. (First encounter was hitting on Terra, tried to drop the weight on Celes, and his hilarious painting from Relm)

194. Mog and Gau have the shortest names for playable characters in the series.

195. Despite being his signature attack in the story, Kefka never uses the Light of Judgment on the party, instead using an attack called Forsaken. LoJ only first appearing as an actual attack in FF Dissidia.

196. Even though Ultros and Siegfried claim to know each other, they never actually appear together in the game.

197. VI is the first game in the series that allows a game over from screwing up a story event. You only get 3 chances to get the opera right. :ffvising:

198. VI is the first game where Holy, Meteor, and Excalibur are not given any real significance in any form in the game, none of them being presented as a legendary artifact.

199. The Dream Stooges, Ultros, and the Imp are some of the few enemies who were given different names in the U.S. script and have been maintained in all future English scripts. The dream stooges are actually all called dream in the Japanese script but each one is a different language. Ultros is actually suppose to be Orthros as in the Greek monster spelling (though they have nothing in common beyond the name), and the Imp is obviously a Japanese water demon called a Kappa and his special gear are all references to the famous cucumber eating demon.

He is on the cover of the US boxart
http://forums.eyesonff.com/attachments/final-fantasy-vi/34308d1304197741t-6-things-you-may-not-have-known-about-ffvi-160px-ff3usbox.gif (http://forums.eyesonff.com/attachments/final-fantasy-vi/34308d1304197741-6-things-you-may-not-have-known-about-ffvi-160px-ff3usbox.gif)

featured in the magazine/comic books ads

http://forums.eyesonff.com/attachments/final-fantasy-vi/34309d1248715665t-6-things-you-may-not-have-known-about-ffvi-egm1.gif (http://forums.eyesonff.com/attachments/final-fantasy-vi/34309d1304198202-6-things-you-may-not-have-known-about-ffvi-egm1.gif)http://forums.eyesonff.com/attachments/final-fantasy-vi/34310d1248715665t-6-things-you-may-not-have-known-about-ffvi-egm2.gif (http://forums.eyesonff.com/attachments/final-fantasy-vi/34310d1304198216-6-things-you-may-not-have-known-about-ffvi-egm2.gif)

and the US commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d15qmRzn2Pc)

Hollycat
05-11-2011, 12:10 AM
yay!

Spooniest
05-11-2011, 02:48 PM

Possibly because there's no guarantee you've brought them along in the final battle with him. You are required to have Terra on the Lete River, you are required to bring Celes to the Opera House, and Relm doesn't give you a choice when she drops in.

Wolf Kanno
05-12-2011, 05:29 AM
That's true, but technically Celes will show up on the Floating Continent whether you brought her along or not. So it was possible. Its just an amusing tidbit at most. :D

Depression Moon
05-12-2011, 01:30 PM
You forgot to add in the thing about the Outsider enemy to your list Wolf.

Wolf Kanno
05-14-2011, 02:49 AM
201. The Outsider enemy will kill himself with a move called Dispatch/Ruin if he hasn't been defeated by the sixth round of combat.

202. This one caught me off by surprise, apparently if you acquire the Ragnarok sword before you get Terra back in your party in the WoR and don't trade it in for the Lightbringer, she'll auto-equip it from your inventory when she fights Humbaba the second time.

203. The Ragnarok from VI, is statistically the best version of the sword in the series. It has 255 Atk. Power (about 55 points higher than Cecil's version in the all non-DS versions of IV) and raises several stats by a significant amount.

204. The Light Bringer makes its debut in the FF series in VI, which has become one of the new "ultimate weapons" in several FF ports and remakes and plays a significant relevance to XI's story.

205. VI is the first game in the series to have a battle arena.

207. Almost every grandfather clock in VI is hiding an elixir.

208. The Megalixir, X-potion, Rename Card, and Turbo Ether items all debuted in VI.

209. Sleeping Bags, Dried Meat, Magicite, and Green Cherry are items that debuted FFVI, and are mostly exclusive beyond remakes and ports.

210. VI is the only game that allows you to rename a character without utilizing Namingway in some form.

211. Despite playing a large role in FFVI's story, there is only one actual flashback to the War of Magi, in the Ancient Castle.

212. VI is the first game in the series to have a dungeon take place in a dream.

213. VI is the only game in the main series that has a city location as a typical dungeon. Zozo

214. Celes is the only character who never gains an additional command in her main menu during the course of the story. Most gain Magic once Espers are obtained, while Terra doesn't get Trance til after the Magitek Research Facility.

215. Only Locke, Setzer, and Relm have Relics that can change their commands.

216. Gau is the only character in the series that doesn't have the Fight command.

217. Siren debuted in VI as a summon for the first, she continues the trend of making boss monsters from early games into summons in later entries.

218. Ever wondered why there are 8 dragons? Each one correlates to one of the main elements in the game. Fire, Water, Ice, Earth, Lighting, Wind, Poison, and Holy.

219. VI is the first FF to have a four tier boss fight.

220. VI is one of four FFs (III, VI, XII, and XIII) to not feature the iconic monster Iron Giant as an enemy.

221. VI is also the first FF to drop the Goblin enemy, although some would argue the Gobbidygook enemy is VI's version of it.

222. The Re-Raise spell made its debut in VI.

Hollycat
05-14-2011, 05:43 AM
to 210, waht about ff8?
to 216, does vincents four forms count?

Wolf Kanno
05-14-2011, 06:28 AM
You can rename GFs, but you can't rename actual party members.

As for Vincent's limit break, I'm not counting it cause its a special mode. Gau doesn't have the actual Fight command on his menu screen when his turn comes up, whereas Vincent does normally.

223. FFVI is the last console FF that allows you to have weapons placed in either hand normally. Later installments either don't have normal equipment set-ups, don't specify which hand the weapon is used on, or everyone is right handed by default.

224. Kefka's "God of Magic" form is the first final boss form of a villain that was ever featured in a full CGI, in the Anthology edition.

225. If you look closely at the opening and ending FMVs of the Anthology game, Terra rides a different model of Magitek Armor than Biggs and Wedge.
34381 34382

226. VI is the only FF from the 16-bit era that doesn't have a sequel.

227. Despite wielding a staff in game, Banon's official artwork has him using a sword.

Wolf Kanno
05-20-2011, 10:05 PM
W~POST!!!

228. Did you know that Duncan and Vargas actually have a last name? It's Harcourt ;)

229. VI is the first FF where Behemoths are shown to be bi-pedal and can stand erect on their hind legs.

230. VI is the only FF where some enemies can be killed simply by depleting their MP.

231. The Ultima Weapon (the sword) of VI, is the only version of the weapon in the series to actually have a backstory in its game.

232. VI is the first FF where the Masemune is not an ultimate weapon or considered one of the best weapons in the game. Its also the first FF where its possible to acquire several of them, although most will obtain it from beating Cyan's dream world.

233. Sabin is the first monk in the FF series who doesn't have the unarmed trick from the NES titles. He is also the first Monk who actually needs weapons.

234. The Imp/Kappa armor set is similar to FFIII's Onion Knights in the sense they are both the weakest and strongest armor in the game, depending on whether you activate the trick to get the good stats.

235. VI is the first FF that lets equipment teach abilities to characters. An idea that will be the main basis of FFIX and the Tactics Advance series.

236. Despite being female, Relm cannot equip the Minerva armor, which is exclusive to Terra and Celes.

237. To correlate that she's a "General, not some Opera Floozy" Celes can only equip one type of robe equipment, the Silk Robe. Terra is also unable to equip the best robes, only having access to the Cotton and Silk robes herself.

238. Despite Terra and Celes being powerful magic casters, neither of them can equip rods without the Merit award.

239. VI is the first FF to featured a named resistance group, the Returners (Despite what some say, FFII's rebels never had a name) and would basically kick off a series of more silly and obscure names for resistance fighters in future installments

240. Banon's Pray is the only specialty command the party cannot obtain in some form later in the game. The Yojimbo Rage allows Gau to use Leo's Shock command.

241. Though its hardly the last FF to have the Mime ability. VI is the last numbered FF to have the Mime Class.

242. Bard and Chemist are the only two recurring major FF jobs that are not represented in some form in FFVI. It should be noted that until recently Dark Knight class was exclusive to IV and Mystic Knights have mostly been merged with Knight class depending on the title.

243. VI is the first FF to have a spell that cost over triple digit MP. Phoenix summon at 110mp.

244. Zidane Tribal of IX shares many similarities with Locke Cole:
- Both are very sympathetic and over protective of women.
- Both of them hide a darker more somber side of their personalities with a carefree attitude.
- Both are Thief characters who also have secondary occupation that in real history have been considered synonymous with Thievery. Locke is a treasure hunter which some cultures feel robs cultures of their heritage, Zidane is part of an acting troupe which in Medieval Europe use to be a cover for thieves who pick-pocketed crowds while they watched their comrades perform.
- Both of them have access to exclusive thief weapons like Boomerangs (Locke) and swallows (Zidane)
- Both are the Thief class but have the ability to equip the Ultima Weapon in their games.
- Both of them are in star crossed romances.

Depression Moon
05-21-2011, 01:36 AM
There's an Ultima Weapon in VI? I thought the Ultimate weapon was Ragnarok.

Wolf Kanno
05-21-2011, 02:04 AM
The Ultima Weapon debuted in VI actually, though it was mistranslated as the Atma Weapon. Though Ragnarok and Lightbringer are statistically better weapons since they boost all stats, Ultima Weapon is accessible rather early in the game and doesn't require making difficult choices. Depending on your set-up, it is debatably the best weapon in the game.

In terms of attack power, the Ultima Weapon, Ragnarok and Lightbringer are the same with 255.

Ultima does damage based on the difference between current HP and max HP as well as level and the amount of HP you have (i.e. higher levels and more HP means more damage) and the Ultima Weapon ignores defense and the damage modifiers for the Offering/Master's Scroll making it the best weapon to use with that relic.

KainHighwind
05-24-2011, 06:56 AM
236. Despite being female, the Minerva armor is exclusive to Terra and Celes.

:confused: I don't understand why this is notable.

Darth Cid
05-24-2011, 06:10 PM
236. Despite being female, the Minerva armor is exclusive to Terra and Celes.

:confused: I don't understand why this is notable.

Me neither, Minerva armor has always been female exclusive and Terra and Celes are female. Relm is female too but might not be able to fit in the armor.

Wolf Kanno
05-24-2011, 08:07 PM
Its my bad, I didn't finish it. I was suppose to add that Relm can't equip it, despite being female and despite age not really being a factor in other FF games where the armor is available.

Hollycat
05-24-2011, 09:42 PM
232: WRONG YOU CAN OBTAIN MULTIPLES IN THE FROG GAME IN FF2
Sorry bout the caps lock, was accident

235: ff V?

blackmage_nuke
05-25-2011, 02:14 AM

Specifically?

and learn to use backspace.

Wolf Kanno
05-25-2011, 03:22 AM

Which is only available in all of the remakes except the Wonderswan version. You couldn't do it in the original FFII so VI is still the first ;)

There are no items that teach abilities unless you are referring to the crystal shards themselves. You can't learn skill in V from equipment. There are items that allow you to use skills from other classes but you can't learn the abilities permanently from equipping an item.

Hollycat
05-25-2011, 03:08 PM
ok, you win

Wolf Kanno
06-16-2011, 09:14 PM
245. VI is the first FF game where summons can only be summoned once per battle.

246. There are only four weapons in the game that perform the Offering/Master's Scroll glitch: Dice, Fixed Dice, Ultima Weapon, and the Valiant Knife.

247. This one is amusing... despite being one of the buggiest games in the franchise, VI is the only SNES era FF that doesn't have an item duplication glitch. Though it does get the Sketch bug...

248. There is a glitch with the Cursed Shield, where if a character equips it mid-battle, the shield will inexplicably grant immunity to most of the status effects it usually auto places on a character. The only exception is the condemned status.

249. An amusing difference between the sprites and official artwork of VI has an issue with capes. Both Terra and Cyan have capes in the Amano artwork but lack them as sprites, whereas Celes and Relm don't have capes at all in their official artwork but have one in their sprites.

Mirage
06-17-2011, 12:44 AM
FF6 is not the last numbered FF to have "dual wield". It exists in FF11 as a ninja, dancer, thief and blue mage job trait

Hollycat
06-17-2011, 12:48 AM
it is neither the only nor the first ff where a npc talks to the player, 5 is the first

Wolf Kanno
06-17-2011, 01:40 AM
FF6 is not the last numbered FF to have "dual wield". It exists in FF11 as a ninja, dancer, thief and blue mage job trait

Fixed.

it is neither the only nor the first ff where a npc talks to the player, 5 is the first

What'chu talking about HC?

Are you talking about the fourth wall breaking stuff? Jog my memory when V does it.

And for ease of fixing issues, if anyone finds a discrepancy, please mention what number it is cause its past 230 in entries so mentioning that the problem is at 133 would be helpful so I don't have to re-read the list to find where the discrepancy is.

Hollycat
06-17-2011, 02:42 AM
there is a dancer who asks:
you there, behind the screen, join in our dancing! after asking bartz and a nother npc to join

Wolf Kanno
06-17-2011, 07:39 AM
Alright, which number is wrong and I'll fix it.

Greatermaximus
07-05-2011, 08:24 AM
These might have been said but I'll try.

250. How many games have an octopus as a receptionist. Good idea can shake that many hands at once.
251. How many Monks can suplex a moving ghost train?
252. Many auto-kill situations like X-Fer, Vanish Doom, and phoenix down on undead.
253. The only way to get to the main bosses like Vector, Floating Continent, Kefka's Towers is to fly.
254. Siegfried Shennagins
255. It's unique and there's plenty of aspects different from other final fantasies.

Breine
07-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Awesome. Thread.

Wolf Kanno
07-09-2011, 07:10 PM
These might have been said but I'll try.

I need to reword some of them (I hope you don't mind), but thanks for contributing. :D

250. How many games have an octopus as a receptionist. Good idea can shake that many hands at once.

Not relative, since most FF games don't have receptionist to begin with. Afraid I can't accept this one.

251. How many Monks can suplex a moving ghost train?

Needs to be reworded... I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but

250. Sabin's ability to Suplex the Phantom Train may be a glitch, he's not suppose to be able to Meteor Strike large enemies, but it seems the programmer's forgot to give the boss Immunity to the move. Despite the speculation, its never been fixed, possibly cause its a fan favorite like The Emperor's death cry in FFII and the Spoony Bard line in FFIV.

252. Many auto-kill situations like X-Fer, Vanish Doom, and phoenix down on undead.

251. FFVI may have the most instant death abilities in the series (and possibly gaming in general, except maybe Ghosts and Goblins ;) ) It has three regular magic spells (Death, Break, X-Zone), 2 Blue Mage spells (Roulette and Lv. 5 Death) 3 summons (Catoblepas, Odin, and Raiden), Two slot moves, one Bushido skill, several of Mog's dances have one instant death skill attached, or which both Relm and Gau can use variations of with their Sketch and Rage skills respectively.

253. The only way to get to the main bosses like Vector, Floating Continent, Kefka's Towers is to fly.

It can be argued that this has been the norm since FFIII, since getting to the final areas of FFIII-FFV all require either a special airship or only by airship, with FFV also having the Cleft Dimension Final Dungeon inaccessible without directly flying to the portal. This isn't unique to FFVI, I would almost say this is a FF tradition really, since its easier to state which FFs don't require an airship as direct access to the final dungeon, as opposed to those that need it. Sorry, doesn't qualify.

254. Siegfried Shennagins Has been mostly stated I'm afraid.

255. It's unique and there's plenty of aspects different from other final fantasies.

Pretty much the point of this thread actually. ;)

Hollycat
07-09-2011, 08:55 PM
252. Final Fantasy 6 is the only ff where a playable character witnesses the death of one of their children, and was the first where a playable character witnesses the death of a spouse. (Cyan)

253. The only ff to include two towns of the same name (arguably Figaro and south Figaro)

-NOT A NUMBERED FACT- Terra was not the first soldier to have been brainwashed in ff6, nor the first to recover from the brainwashing, the guy who saves Terra in the beginning states that he had never heard of so quick a recovery, implying said fact.

254: the first ff to include resized enemies: I believe it is called the magna runner? and it is displayed in large if 1 or 2 are in battle, and small if 3 or more are in battle.

255: first ff to include a mine cart ride, and the only one to have a video of during the ride, the other ff being ff12

256: the only ff to include movable 3d elements on a 2d world map with 360 degree veiwing

champagne supernova
07-09-2011, 10:38 PM
181. Despite the rampant war between fanboys about who is better, Kefka and Sephiroth actually have a few similarities.

Sephiroth killed one Cetra. Hardly genocide. Jenova annihilated the Cetra, but whether a non-sentient being can commit genocide is an argument for another time.

Nibelheim is a town, not a city.

[/Nitpicking]

Wolf Kanno
07-10-2011, 12:12 AM
I feel Jenova is sentient, as for Sephy committing Genocide, he does actually kill the last of the Cetra bloodline, not to mention since he's not actually full human, his attacks on other human beings can be thought of as genocide as well since its partly rationalized by the fact he sees himself as a superior species.

The town/city thing is nitpicking though ;)

champagne supernova
07-10-2011, 12:20 AM
I feel Jenova is sentient, as for Sephy committing Genocide, he does actually kill the last of the Cetra bloodline, not to mention since he's not actually full human, his attacks on other human beings can be thought of as genocide as well since its partly rationalized by the fact he sees himself as a superior species.

Yeah, I agree the town thing is nitpicking. But killing the last of a line isn't genocide. Genocide is the systematic killing of people within an ethnic group (making the Kefka genocide claim a little bit dodgy too). Attempted genocide definitely fits for both of them though.

Wolf Kanno
07-10-2011, 03:31 AM
If we're going to argue semantics...

Article 2 of this convention defines genocide as "any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life, calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and] forcibly transferring children of the group to another group".

So by international law, Sephy and Kefka committed genocide, cause they are directly responsible for the death of two races, and it was intentionally done by both. Course, most of the FF villains are genocidal maniacs, but this was just a comparison of the two and its not like neither of them don't share traits with other villains in the series as well.

espritduo
07-10-2011, 08:42 AM
252. Final Fantasy 6 is the only ff where a playable character witnesses the death of one of their children, and was the first where a playable character witnesses the death of a spouse. (Cyan)

Heh, well you could include Ashe, since her husband Rasler dies like a punk right after they get married.

253. The only ff to include two towns of the same name (arguably Figaro and south Figaro)

Balamb and Balamb Garden? If you're counting Figaro Castle as a town, might as well count Balamb Garden.

254: the first ff to include resized enemies: I believe it is called the magna runner? and it is displayed in large if 1 or 2 are in battle, and small if 3 or more are in battle.

While there is a resized enemy in the game(Ultros's sprite is actually larger when you fight him partially submerged in the first fight than he his in every other fight against him on land), the Magna Roader enemies are two distinctly different enemies that just happen to have the same name and appear in the same area. There is also another pair of Magna Roaders in the Narshe Caves in the WoR. You can see the differences between the enemy sprites here:

Magna Roader - The Final Fantasy Wiki has more Final Fantasy information than Cid could research (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Magna_Roader)

Just use the tabs to switch between the four different Magna Roaders.

Hollycat
07-10-2011, 03:42 PM

Heh, well you could include Ashe, since her husband Rasler dies like a punk right after they get married.

Balamb and Balamb Garden? If you're counting Figaro Castle as a town, might as well count Balamb Garden.

While there is a resized enemy in the game(Ultros's sprite is actually larger when you fight him partially submerged in the first fight than he his in every other fight against him on land), the Magna Roader enemies are two distinctly different enemies that just happen to have the same name and appear in the same area. There is also another pair of Magna Roaders in the Narshe Caves in the WoR. You can see the differences between the enemy sprites here:

Magna Roader - The Final Fantasy Wiki has more Final Fantasy information than Cid could research (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Magna_Roader)

Just use the tabs to switch between the four different Magna Roaders.

252. I said first, not only, and ashe didnt see rastler die

253. Balamb garden does not contain any shops and thus does not qualify as a town.

254. fine, just say first ff to include resized enemies.

champagne supernova
07-10-2011, 04:29 PM
253. Balamb garden does not contain any shops and thus does not qualify as a town.

There's a guy who sells things in the Training Centre of Balamb Garden. As a shop is defined as, "a building or part of a building where goods or services are sold; a store," then the Training Centre can be defined as a shop. Albeit one with T-rexs running around.

Hollycat
07-10-2011, 04:34 PM

There's a guy who sells things in the Training Centre of Balamb Garden. As a shop is defined as, "a building or part of a building where goods or services are sold; a store," then the Training Centre can be defined as a shop. Albeit one with T-rexs running around.

...... maybe, but that is really just a guy running around selling stuff. lets let kanno decide.

champagne supernova
07-10-2011, 04:48 PM
I'm more curious as to how the presence of a shop qualifies a place as a town.

Hollycat
07-10-2011, 05:10 PM
a shop, a place to sleep and another shop.

champagne supernova
07-10-2011, 05:28 PM
a shop, a place to sleep and another shop.

That seems kinda arbitrary.

Hollycat
07-10-2011, 05:38 PM
2 seperate shops and a place to sleep = town

champagne supernova
07-10-2011, 06:06 PM
2 seperate shops and a place to sleep = town

No, I got what you meant. But why is this the definition. I wouldn't classify Balamb Garden as a town because there aren't any houses and everybody in there is an employee or a student of an organisation.

Hollycat
07-10-2011, 06:08 PM
its a school so it doesnt count also, whereas tons of people live in figaro

blackmage_nuke
07-11-2011, 06:52 AM
I agree, your definition of town is arbitrary, is Zozo not a town because it doesnt have a working shop (besides that one guy selling rust rid) or a resting place?

espritduo
07-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Balamb Garden is a town as much as Figaro Castle. A town is a town if it is treated as such in the game, simple as that. I think the main central idea of a town is that it is a place where a group of people live together as a community. Applying any further rules beyond that is completely arbitrary.

Mobliz has no shop after its destruction, yet it is still a town because people still live there. Bevelle in FFX has no shop or place to rest, yet it is the largest city in FFX. Conversely, you can rest in the crazy old man's house in FFVI, and even buy supplies from a merchant there. Does that make it a town? Oh wait, you need two shops to be a town.

People live in Balamb Garden, and while it is not a town in the traditional sense because it is primarily a school, neither is Figaro Castle, which is primarily a castle and seat of power, not a town. But people live in these places as a community, so it is not incorrect to call either of them a town. Furthermore, South Figaro and Figaro Castle could be consider part of the same over-arching political region known as "Figaro", and thus one town with two different locations. Baron and Baron Castle fit this just the exact same way, but Baron Castle just happens to be much closer to Baron than Figaro Castle to Figaro. Places like Cornelia(FFI), Fynn(FFII), Salonia(FFIII), Baron(FFIV), and Walse(FFV) all have castles separate from the main town on the world map, but they are all generally consider one town.

EDIT: And I guess I should point out the obvious fact that the two places in question don't have the same name to begin with. One is called Figaro Castle and the other is South Figaro. Saying they have the same name is like saying Virginia and West Virginia have the same name.

Greatermaximus
07-12-2011, 06:03 AM
Without complicated legal dispute, you can say places without the same name. There has been more than one FF where the party visits that has almost an identical name as another location.

255. There are similar situations about the first and last part. Terra fights Espers and becomes knocked out after the events. Though how relevant is some of this stuff?

Flying Mullet
07-12-2011, 02:04 PM
The spirit of this thread's been lost. Honestly, only two dozen or so of these items are list worthy. The rest are obvious details you don't consciously register when playing because they're obvious. I could add 200 more items like "FFVI is the only Final Fantasy to have a main character with the name of Celes." or "It's the last Final Fantasy to br produced on the Super Nintendo/Famicom." The goal was to list "wow-worthy" things, not inane details.

And to the Balamb/town argument, I'll quote the immortal HOOTERS, "You can argue about which piece of poo is better, but at the end of the day they are still pieces of poo, " a.k.a. who cares?

blackmage_nuke
07-13-2011, 09:49 AM
I thought some of the "this is one of the three ff's to do such and such" were a bit blah.

Wolf Kanno
07-15-2011, 08:08 AM
The spirit of this thread's been lost. Honestly, only two dozen or so of these items are list worthy. The rest are obvious details you don't consciously register when playing because they're obvious. I could add 200 more items like "FFVI is the only Final Fantasy to have a main character with the name of Celes." or "It's the last Final Fantasy to br produced on the Super Nintendo/Famicom." The goal was to list "wow-worthy" things, not inane details.

And to the Balamb/town argument, I'll quote the immortal HOOTERS, "You can argue about which piece of poo is better, but at the end of the day they are still pieces of poo, " a.k.a. who cares?

Says the guy who runs and FFVI fansite, I find the inane details to be amusing and fun. Things players may not notice, but are still interesting. This thread isn't really for the die-hard VI fans, its more for the casual fans. So stop being so nitpicky unless you want to actually add some things you consider to be truly "worthy" of the thread. :p

For the most part, I've been trying to avoid the major obvious ones, hence the reason why the SNES one you mention hasn't shown up.

I thought some of the "this is one of the three ff's to do such and such" were a bit blah.

They can't all be gems. Its 240+ on the list, I'm surprised we haven't started repeating ourselves.

As for the Figaro.South Figaro thing, I'm not counting it cause its still the Kingdom Figaro. According to the supplement materials, S.Figaro was created as a temporary establishment when Figaro castle was badly damaged during the first test run of the submarine function. Overall, I like to think of S.Figaro as the "town" portion of the Figaro Kingdom to Figaro Castle being just the "castle". It's like how in FFIV, their is the Kingdom of Baron, but its split into a castle portion and a town portion, whereas no other country does this.

blackmage_nuke
07-15-2011, 10:22 AM
but where does it end? FFVI allows you to name all of the permanently playable cast, only around 50% of ff's allow you to do this!

VeloZer0
07-15-2011, 02:44 PM
As for the Figaro.South Figaro thing, I'm not counting it cause its still the Kingdom Figaro. According to the supplement materials, S.Figaro was created as a temporary establishment when Figaro castle was badly damaged during the first test run of the submarine function. Overall, I like to think of S.Figaro as the "town" portion of the Figaro Kingdom to Figaro Castle being just the "castle". It's like how in FFIV, their is the Kingdom of Baron, but its split into a castle portion and a town portion, whereas no other country does this.
Across a desert and through a monster infested cave? That has to be the single worst instance of urban planning I have ever heard of. :p

Flying Mullet
07-15-2011, 05:07 PM
White flight knows no bounds.

Slothy
07-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Across a desert and through a monster infested cave? That has to be the single worst instance of urban planning I have ever heard of. :p

Well you're not going to build the town in a desert or a monster infested cave are you? Really, with Narshe to the north where the hell else are you going to put it.

Granted we're talking about urban planning done by the same company that builds houses without bathrooms despite the fact that they clearly have the technology to build indoor plumbing. Can we really expect that much from them?

Wolf Kanno
07-15-2011, 06:17 PM
but where does it end? FFVI allows you to name all of the permanently playable cast, only around 50% of ff's allow you to do this!

If you've noticed, I only keep the multi-FF ones if only a handful of them do it (like 3 or 4 out of the 15 games), and half the time, one of the titles is FFXI/FFXIV which most fans don't count anyway.

You're blowing this out of proportion. As for when the list was going to end, I was planning to end it for myself at 255 but it's moved beyond that now, so I'm going to say it will end when everyone gets bored with it, or when I feel most of the new entries to the list have to be thrown out cause they are too simply like the ones you and Mullet jokingly suggested in your complaint posts. When it gets to silly things like "VI's cast has the most vowels in their names than any other cast" that shit ain't going to fly.

kelseystill
07-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Thanks for telling us.

DMKA
07-29-2011, 06:32 PM
White flight knows no bounds.

:p