PDA

View Full Version : Overshadowed

Del Murder
03-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Do you think Final Fantasy X-2 would have been better received if the battle system didn't revolve around 'dressing up', the protagonists weren't all female, and the plot wasn't pretty terrible? I feel like the dressphere system was one of the best battle systems of any FF but it gets overshadowed by other aspects of this game (some rightfully so).

The job system has been a staple of Final Fantasy, and incorporating the ability to change jobs mid-battle, while still keeping the battles fairly fast paced and in real time, was masterfully done in FFX-2. Much better than the attempt in FFXIII, mainly because you get to control all three characters and select actions individually instead of 'Auto-battle' all the time. I also like purchasing abilities from the menu FF Tactics-style instead of branching off in a tree like is done in FFX, XII, and XIII.

What do you think?

LunarWeaver
03-06-2011, 10:46 PM
It wasn't completely poorly received. Critically, anyway. Sales weren't exactly anything Square cried about either. But that doesn't speak for fan opinion overall of course.

I consider it a romp that wasn't necessary but not entirely a failure. But with the tone they adopted, it was bound to fall beneath the other titles. It was like a magical girl anime for tweens too much of the time. That doesn't mean having an all female group was the issue, just what they did with them. Although I found the plot had its poignant moments too, except then they would suddenly flip to... Well, Yuna stops a war by singing and there you go. The music was similar for me. For every nice track there was a horrible one.

I agree it was delicious to play, though. Awesome system.

At least now we all know that Lulu is so hardcore even when pregnant she refuses to be fat.

Nebulance
03-07-2011, 02:48 AM

At least now we all know that Lulu is so hardcore even when pregnant she refuses to be fat.

yes!

Also: I found it fairly interesting/somewhat expected that Lulu doesn't 'change' after The Eternal Calm (with respect to her wardrobe).

I say somewhat expected because of her personality -- she tends to be someone who is set in her ways, and won't change due to mainstream opinion, which I find comforting. It's one of the great things about her.

Jessweeee♪
03-07-2011, 03:13 AM
FFX-2 was awesome. I think it would have been better received if it were less like an anime-ish Charlie's Angels. That was a little off-putting for some people, especially those who, for some reason, played it after not liking the first one. Apart from the plot, it's pretty much everything Final Fantasy fans want, if you were to go by complaints about FFXII and FFXIII.

Jiro
03-07-2011, 11:20 AM
I was probably in the target audience and I did enjoy it. A lot of people dismiss it without even trying it and that's why it cops a lot of unwarranted hate. Certainly there are aspects of the game which fall flat, and most of them relate to the choice to have an all female lead cast that seem more concerned with appearing... like tarts than actually getting the job done.

There is one scene in Kilika that grates on me. I can't remember it (thank god) but it just embodied everything that the haters hated. In that one scene.

blackmage_nuke
03-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Despite the awesome battle system I wasnt very fond of Final Fanservice X-2

Christmas
03-08-2011, 12:10 AM
the protagonists weren't all female, (some rightfully so).

SEXIST. :vader:

Vyk
03-08-2011, 04:37 AM
I never tried it. But I've always heard great things about the battle system. Though FFX itself had a pretty good battle system. But I still can't stomach that game. So yeah, the other aspects of X-2 probably would ruin it for me. But I think at the time I just needed a more mature FF game, and haven't really gotten those since 7. I guess they could have won me over by making it darker and more atmospheric and stuff. But they did the exact opposite and made it lighter and happier. So I never found any interest in it. Though I do praise its existence, because I believe that's where Mony Oum ripped some models from to do Dead Fantasy :<3:

Roogle
03-08-2011, 07:43 PM
I honestly hoped that Final Fantasy X-2 would be a very serious game like the original. It was a good opportunity to, essentially, create a proper sequel to a Final Fantasy game carrying the essence of the original and keeping it intact.

I found the gameplay of Final Fantasy X-2 very memorable, at least, moreso than the story or the lighthearted nature of the game.

YunaTidus
03-08-2011, 10:56 PM
I agree. After I played X, I bought X-2 expecting it to carry over and be serious like.

The story was...good, but parts of it made me - a girl - roll my eyes. The battle system, however, was fantastic.

All and all, I have 3 copies of the game. While it will never be as good as X in my eyes, it was still a pretty decent game.