PDA

View Full Version : How big is your mythos?

Jiro
03-08-2011, 09:56 AM
I wonder if there's a list of some of the most in-depth and thought through mythos that are out there.

Rantzien and I were discussing mythos. That makes me sound more intellectual than I am. But we both wondered; what are some of the most in-depth mythos out there?

You've got your Middle Earth and your Warcraft and your Dungeons & Dragons. But what else is out there?

Discuss big mythos and why you like them etc etc

G13
03-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Star Wars is the obvious answer from me. :monster:

Middle Earth is massive and intriguing. Star Wars was dreamed up by one man but many have added to it. Everything in Middle Earth is from the mind of one man. It's inspiring to think about.

spirit
03-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Nothing really that original. I haven't explored that many mythos beyond the usual. I have a fascination with religious crusades and Atlantis and things like that, but nothing that involved.

Vyk
03-08-2011, 07:03 PM
BioWare likes to create a very massive mythos around their IP these days. So Dragon Age and Mass Effect have pretty in depth histories and farther reaching stories than what you experience in the games

H P Lovecraft's ideas have gained wide-spread recognition. He used to write with a circle of friends and they all added to the mythos while they were alive, and its since been picked up by other creators so its grown pretty large as well

Since Star Wars and Middle Earth have been mentioned, someone has to say Star Trek. Considering there are fans who are legitimately fluent in Klingon its a pretty wide and well-developed mythos. I've known people who were fluent in middle earth elvish as well. Its interesting..

spirit
03-09-2011, 03:36 AM
BioWare likes to create a very massive mythos around their IP these days. So Dragon Age and Mass Effect have pretty in depth histories and farther reaching stories than what you experience in the games

H P Lovecraft's ideas have gained wide-spread recognition. He used to write with a circle of friends and they all added to the mythos while they were alive, and its since been picked up by other creators so its grown pretty large as well

Since Star Wars and Middle Earth have been mentioned, someone has to say Star Trek. Considering there are fans who are legitimately fluent in Klingon its a pretty wide and well-developed mythos. I've known people who were fluent in middle earth elvish as well. Its interesting..

You really lovecraft this Lovecraft guy like a art form. I think this really cool girl from one of my college classes likes his work too. I never read any of his work but I'm curious about it, just because I sort of like the girl to be honest...:p

BUT...I'm not that lame, to only be interested in things just because some one else likes it. She is pretty cool though...

Then again, I do enjoy horror myself.

ANYWAYS, that's not interesting to you most likely...
Star Trek is a fun franchise, but the new movie sucks...:choc:
Oh, and I wish I could speak Klingon, did you know there's even Shakespeare in Klingon?

Anyways, yeah...I need to expand my mythos.

Vyk
03-09-2011, 03:41 AM
Honestly I haven't gotten into anything that Lovecraft himself created (Yearg pointed out a while back that his works are public domain so I downloaded a collection of audio books of his and some of them are just hard to pay attention to). But I have a huge respect for his ideas as he's the obvious inspiration for a lot of things I have enjoyed

spirit
03-09-2011, 03:58 AM
Honestly I haven't gotten into anything that Lovecraft himself created (Yearg pointed out a while back that his works are public domain so I downloaded a collection of audio books of his and some of them are just hard to pay attention to). But I have a huge respect for his ideas as he's the obvious inspiration for a lot of things I have enjoyed

Audio books, genius...I don't really like to read. :p I simply couldn't before, haven't tried as of late, been doing brain exercises...I might be able to do it now, I'd be surprised though.

I had a feeling, hunch that he died young, strange enough some times I just feel these things. I looked him up on wikipedia, and he died so young...well, it's pretty young. Anyways, that's sort of strange but i can get things , know things some times just by sitting in silence next to another person.

Anyways, audio books sounds like a good idea , that way i can enjoy the intellectual part of reading, without stumbling over words and all those thrills and STRESS that come with reading...like turn the page and all that, seriously, I enjoy reading some times, but I just won't do it...

Jentleness
03-09-2011, 04:05 AM
My most favorite would be C. S. Lewis' Narnia. I read all the books several times as a child and have gone back over the years and reread my favorite books. I found its creation and development thoroughly thought out and very well done.

spirit
03-09-2011, 04:09 AM
My most favorite would be C. S. Lewis' Narnia. I read all the books several times as a child and have gone back over the years and reread my favorite books. I found its creation and development thoroughly thought out and very well done.
I saw the first and third movie, I enjoyed them.

Unbreakable Will
03-09-2011, 04:21 AM
Star Wars and the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson. The ridiculously huge world he created is just wonderful :love:

spirit
03-09-2011, 04:25 AM
I would say Star Wars but that energy radiates in a room, my God it even screams in the silence of several rooms. People know Star wars, it's too pop culture for me. I don't judge people, i love Star Wars, but I'm sort of ashamed and intellectually inwardly bored that it's one of the few mythos I participate in...

G13
03-09-2011, 04:26 AM
Forgotten Realms is massive as well. :monster:

Jentleness
03-09-2011, 04:31 AM
I saw the first and third movie, I enjoyed them.

Read the books! Trust me, the movies were good, but the books are the bomb!

spirit
03-09-2011, 04:32 AM
[QUOTE=spirit;2959633] bomb!

*Jumps for cover*

AHHHH

*BOOM!*

What can I say, I'm a American...
I know that's a horrible , tasteless joke...

Nah, but seriously, I don't read...lol, but I like to change my nature, so I'm going to read soon.

There is a awesome TV series called TekWars, but it's not as big as other mythos.

Remember to use the Edit feature. :monster: - G13

Bunny
03-09-2011, 05:08 AM
Forgotten Realms is massive as well. :monster:

Only because it's open to pretty much anyone who wants to create anything.

Vyk
03-09-2011, 05:41 AM
Also Dungeons and Dragons was already mentioned. And Forgotten Realms is Dungeons and Dragons. Along with Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Birthright, Planescape, Dark Sun, and a huge multitude of other campaign settings :D

drotato
03-09-2011, 05:47 AM
Mmmm.... Middle Earth. :heart:

spirit
03-09-2011, 06:00 AM
Why does this sound like a personal question to me?

NorthernChaosGod
03-09-2011, 07:48 AM
Middle-earth and Star Wars are obviously the big two. I've read all the books concerning A Song of Ice and Fire so that would probably be next for me.

Kossage
03-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Well, tGA (http://www.thegamersalliance.net/w/The_Gamer%27s_Alliance_Wiki) has a pretty big mythos, spanning three vast eras. It was started by EoFFers such as Cid, Raistlin and Unne in 2000 and had later additions over the years by various other members such as Bleys, BoB, Jojo, Matthew and ShlupQuack among others. Almost 1,000 articles have been added to tGAWiki since 2009, and that's only scratching the surface considering that there are still a lot of characters, places and events waiting to be added. It's kind of funny thinking that it all began from a simple forum RP. I recall Bleys joking that tGA has a body of lore that rivals Warcraft. :p

Jiro
03-13-2011, 12:36 PM
...Yep. Looks like I'm going to spend some time on your wiki and enrich myself.

escobert
03-13-2011, 05:28 PM
I love the Dungeons and Dragons world. also as said star wars and middle earth. Also the multiple universes of His Dark Materials.

Mercen-X
03-16-2011, 10:49 PM
My Autobiography

Iceglow
03-17-2011, 02:22 AM
The world from the Wheel of Time by Jordan, likewise I would mention the huge mythos of the realm of Martin's Song of Fire and Ice.

Another honorable mention must be made to the mythos of both Warhammer fantasy and Warhammer 40k. Two completely different yet sutbtle mythos. If someone takes time to start reading black library publications which would be a very worthwhile thing I would suggest: Gaunts Ghosts saga and the spin off Double Eagle by Dan Abnett, Ravenor Trilogy by Dan Abnett, Eisenhorn Trilogy by Dan Abnett, Brothers of the Snake by Dan Abnett, Caphias Cain saga, The Horus Heresy (collected authors) Thats just 40k and there is a whole shed load of mythos. In fact the characters of Dan Abnett's work often link in to his other works, for example, In Gaunt's Ghosts during the first book the Ghosts encounter an enemy within the command structure of the Sabbat Worlds Crusade, the enemy is one Inquisitor Heldane. In Eisenhorn and the subsequent Ravenor trilogies (and presumably, in the as of yet unpublished Bequin collection) the Character of Heldane is introduced and evolved up to become the corrupted agent he is in the first Gaunts Ghosts book. There's also references to short stories and graphic novels Dan Abnett has worked on. For one man he has written some of the finest depth adding, mythos expanding works out there. Going down the Fantasy route, The Blackhearts Omnibus, Gotrek And Felix saga, Age of Legends series, Malus Darkblade and the spin off series within these main arcs spring immediately to mind, Everyone raves about the mythos of WoW and frankly the mythos surrounding either Warhammer or Wh40k literally pisses all over it. 40k goes on for over 10,000 years from the events of the Horus Heresy to the "present day" events. Though mentioning Fantasy and not 40k would be pointless since both are similar to each other in many ways but imho I feel the mythos lends itself more to 40k because of the huge time period people may choose to write about and the fact that with over a billion worlds in imperial space, let alone the ones in eldar, ork, chaos, tyrannid, necron, tau, dark eldar or any number of other races out there, there literally is the room to write anything in to it.

Rase
03-17-2011, 01:47 PM
Warhammer 40K is probably the biggest I have made an effort to know about.

Loony BoB
03-18-2011, 04:37 PM
Aiyon! I have two books on it!

No, really, okay. Uhm. I'm not sure. I like Middle-Earth because it's so deeply thought out.

EDIT: I'm also a very big fan of the growing mythos of James Barclay. I am not sure on the name of the world itself as it is the land is referred to by the continents named Balaia and Calaius.