PDA

View Full Version : Count Orlandeau Cidolfus, the thunder god.

Hollycat
03-08-2011, 08:17 PM
How does SE justify giving your party a man who is permenantly hasted, has amazing stats, and learns all dark knight and holy knight abilities. HOW?

VeloZer0
03-09-2011, 12:50 AM
He isn't permanently hasted. It's a little known trick, but you can equip the Excalibur on other characters.

Remon
03-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Except for the hasting part :p, he really is a godmodder.

Saber
03-10-2011, 11:18 PM
My guess is they were thinking the tactics we had have all been thrown at you. So now, here have no trouble holding the torch to the victory stage.

Roogle
03-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Incidentally, the spiritual predecessor to Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, has a character called Thunder Maiden Arycelle who is the strongest archer in the game. The old translation called her Aloser, after Alocer, a demon in an ancient text, but the newer, updated translation draws a slight connection to good ol' Thunder God Cid.

Bolivar
03-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Incidentally, the spiritual predecessor to Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, has a character called Thunder Maiden Arycelle who is the strongest archer in the game. The old translation called her Aloser, after Alocer, a demon in an ancient text, but the newer, updated translation draws a slight connection to good ol' Thunder God Cid.

Orlandeau is also a name in the Ogre Battle Universe (Xytegenia time period/continent, or maybe just the Valerian Isles).

BG-57
04-01-2011, 03:36 AM
And of course his first name speaks for itself.

My best guess it he's your reward for perservering through most of the game. He is seriously broken, although he's one of my favorite characters.

What baffles me more is you recruit Meliadoul later in the game and she only has a third of his skillset.

VeloZer0
04-01-2011, 05:07 AM
What gets me most of all is that by the time you get her you are basically at the end of the game and you have very little story battles left to make use of her skill set. She isn't quite so useful against the monsters you find in random battles & the deep dungeon.

Oh well, with a plot like FFT had I can excuse it impeding a little bit on game design.

BG-57
04-01-2011, 09:04 PM
I do use her in Deep Dungeon, but she gets a lot more use out of her secondary Math Skills. On the other hand Agrias is useful throughout the game with her default class, although both ladies benefit from being able to equip stronger knight swords than Excalibur in conjunction with an auto-haste perfume.

No game is perfect but FFT comes closer than most. :D

Roogle
04-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Was Meliadoul altered in any way in Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions? I know that some patches to the game allow her to damage monsters or humans without equipment.

VeloZer0
04-02-2011, 02:44 AM
Yes it was changed. Both for her and Orlandu (though I don't know why you would ever want Orlandu to use one of these on someone without equipment)

I always took advantage of Meliadoul's ability to equip the wizard robe and went Rune Blade+Wizard Robe and any other +MA items to make Draw Out to a crap ton of damage. That way I have a reliable damage skill, while still being able to break the hell out of any weapons I encounter.

Kyros
05-30-2011, 05:31 AM
Reis and Beowulf were also pretty ridiculous. Im pretty sure Reis had the best stats in the game, and idk why I ever heard anyone complain about Beowulf when he had the best cc in the game with his basic class!!!

Greatermaximus
07-12-2011, 06:32 AM
Decision made at the time. Cid's name is attached to the character and it makes the game faster. It's up to us to make games more challenging by not using overpowered characters.

erikramza
10-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Reis and Beowulf were also pretty ridiculous. Im pretty sure Reis had the best stats in the game, and idk why I ever heard anyone complain about Beowulf when he had the best cc in the game with his basic class!!!
Who could complain about him, and why? He can petrify the entire battlefield.