PDA

View Full Version : Ghost story

spirit
03-10-2011, 03:38 PM
This was about 4 years ago now. We went on a family vacation, and a long the way of our desired destination there lied a few hours of land stretching across . We had done some research of the land, probably because it's a part of Ohio we haven't traveled across that often.

The journey itself was through day light, we left early in the morning, and wanted to make the best time of day possible. I can't remember where we were traveling to. Though I remember being surrounded by static, almost painted landscapes of farm, after farm...

Sort of bored me, in a way, you wouldn't expect to find much out there, unless in boredom you let your mind do some traveling with you out there...

When we finally got out of the car and planted our feet, I had no idea where we were at. It was some dusty, dirt road, with a gravel bed. We got back into the car...

We were a bit secluded but not that far from civilization. Were were down the dirt road just a few 100 feet. We were now concealed in a forest area, but the weeds and brush wasn't over grown.

It was surprisingly well kept for a forest road, that ultimately didn't seem to lead anywhere really important, significant. And I figured maybe there's a little more to this place than meets the eye, it looked like a well laid secret, that wasn't really a secret at all. Concealed in the forest you couldn't see anything but clearly some one had kept paths and roads through the forested area. So, I knew something was out there that we were here to find.

I remember asking my step father where we were going. He told me about a few ghost legends of Moonville Tunnel. Before he had told me about it, I never knew the tunnel even existed.

Though I was interested in the paranormal at the time, I didn't really believe in it that strongly. (I get bored easily, some times, fast forward------>)

We got out of the car at a old train bridge. Apparently we had plans to camp at this location, as I now recall, it was a camping trip. So we pitched up a tent and went on a after noon ghost hunt. Which is rather impressive for my family, as they as a whole don't particularly believe in ghosts. Yet, individually have seen things to make them question the existence of ghosts...

We started along a path across the camp site, old train tunnel, I had no idea what to expect, what the tunnel would look like. We were looking for a giant train tunnel at the time and yet we were moving through this forested area like we had dropped a contact lens...

The path was well kept, yes, but parts of it were unclear, nature had worked to conceal it, and we sort of just found the path again on and on as we went.

Sorry, fast forward----------------->

So, we took photos of this tunnel, and they turned out pretty crappy, but I could share. We spent some time there, night time came...I'd like to tell this like a real story but I don't any one would want to read all of this , such as it is...

We camped at the old trestle bridge. It was dark, yep, spooky spookity spooky, I LOVED the feeling. Being in the middle of a dirt path, the surrounding area ultimately just old farm lands, etc etc...anyways, there was a hill next to us, and we decided to go for a night walk to find a old cemetery my folks had read about.

We go up there, take photos. We use our eyes. :p We go back down from the cemetery to the camp site. Meh...bleh bleh!

Ok, so as we sit near the camp fire, I go into one of my mental states, I fall into a lucid, dream like reality, but have full consciousness. Across the camp fire I see a woman caring a baby, the baby is crying...and she tells it to hush.

I don't share this with anyone, it feels natural, I feel secure, and I just don't share with them.
-------->

Now when I get home, I look up the legends out of curiosity, there's a legend of the woman. My family tells me that in the cemetery there is a baby planted up there, I had missed that myself.

I spend years looking into this and recently find this...http://unseenforcespr.webs.com/evpclipsplayer.htm

I can't get the EVP to play but strange enough it's what I heard, except I'm still yet to hear the woman with the baby...

Anyways, I have more but I don't know i any one can be bothered to read this as it is.

Share your own, if you'd like. I better get back to home work.

Peegee
03-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Stephen Gammell is godly

linky (http://www.google.ca/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=active&rls=ig&biw=1280&bih=774&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=stephen+gammell&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=)

http://scourgedaggerandchain.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/scary6.jpg

spirit
03-10-2011, 04:59 PM
I meant of your own. But , I've forgotten about those visuals! As a boy I remember seeing them in book stores and wanted to read them. I never did though. I should read more books.

Thanks for sharing. This isn't a "story, story" lol, it's a personal experience.

Actually, I love what you've posted! That's amazing, it looks like something I would use a reference when I go to draw.

Remon
03-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Hoho I remember how I used to freak out my friends by making up stories and passing them for real :bigsmile:
Well I've had an Ouija board experience but I don't know if it counts. We asked the spirit if it could drop a ribbon that we had placed on the table. And guess what O_O. IT FELL. It moved across the table and into the floor. It was so freaking fast but we all freaked out, peed our pants and ran away. Next morning we couldn't find the ribbon. So I guess it must have been a trick of some sort.

spirit
03-10-2011, 06:51 PM
I never tried a board before, but they are the subject of a lot of controversy to paranormal gurus. But it's bad medicine to try that stuff, even though it tastes and feels so good.

To you it was probably just for the hell of the fun. That sort of thing would likely suck me into witch craft, magic, those sort of things. I'm not entirely sure I want to begin down that path.

I've heard stories where people have burned boards and they have heard screaming noises as they burnt away.

Personally, I don't know, I think it depends on certain conditions, and the board you're using. I've never taken one apart and I don't know how one works.

But many of these seance you see on TV are incriminating and false and insulting to people like me. Though, there's some awesome photos on line of old seances .

I never tried one.

And sadly, the dead hasn't visited me in a long time...:(

Remon
03-10-2011, 07:12 PM
I've always suspected the ribbon thing being a prank or something. I mean why exactly a ribbon? They could have used anything. But the ribbon is light :jess:. You could also attach something like a thread. It won't look suspicious since it might be an extension of the ribbon. It could also be mistaken for hair. So it can be easily pulled in with a thread or so. Also we couldn't find it the next day so the owner probably came back to take it :p

And that first pic is insane XD

spirit
03-10-2011, 07:46 PM
I've always suspected the ribbon thing being a prank or something. I mean why exactly a ribbon? They could have used anything. But the ribbon is light :jess:. You could also attach something like a thread. It won't look suspicious since it might be an extension of the ribbon. It could also be mistaken for hair. So it can be easily pulled in with a thread or so. Also we couldn't find it the next day so the owner probably came back to take it :p

And that first pic is insane XD

Oh, you were at a show of some sort? Or was this with a friend at a friend's house? Ribbons don't weigh alot. That's true. I've seen larger things throw away around.

Remon
03-10-2011, 08:04 PM
We were at the classroom on cleaning duty XD

spirit
03-10-2011, 08:13 PM
We were at the classroom on cleaning duty XD

Really? That's interesting. Some one just brought a board to class? What's going on here? Did you ever bring in dogs and cats for rituals too? Wanted for murder, robbery, and assault? And you didn't leave any witnesses?

I'm guessing cleaning duty wasn't that hard of work if you're off playing with boards and having rituals.

Wait, wait wait, so what's the story here, or maybe there's nothing else to tell?

I never was a cleaning aid, now I know what goes into being one, scary job if you ask me...

Was the spirit, used to clean the room? This job sounds intense, not for me, I'd just do the work myself.

Remon
03-10-2011, 08:20 PM
We didn't use an actual board.
In my country there's another tradition for that :p. It involves cutting up pieces of paper to make the letters and arranging them into a circle, and then you use a plastic glass for the pointer. So we can do that everywhere.
And yeah cleaning duty was just an excuse to stay together and have the entire school grounds at our disposal :bigsmile:

spirit
03-10-2011, 08:25 PM
We didn't use an actual board.
In my country there's another tradition for that :p. It involves cutting up pieces of paper to make the letters and arranging them into a circle, and then you use a plastic glass for the pointer. So we can do that everywhere.
And yeah cleaning duty was just an excuse to stay together and have the entire school grounds at our disposal :bigsmile:
You mean, in your country, it's a tradition that they teach you how to make home made boards to conjure up spirits to clean the class room??:eek:

That's truly amazing! Whatever happened to just cleaning your room like a normal person in a normal country? It was a ribbon! How lazy are you and your friends!? You summoned a ghost to clean the room, and it was just a ribbon!?

No wonder he tossed it so hard...

Peegee
03-10-2011, 11:07 PM
The paranormal activity film series is very very good because I get completely immersed in it - I know devils aren't real but I don't care: the movie is creepy and freaky and the ending is always satisfying.

Unbreakable Will
03-11-2011, 01:09 AM
I'm skeptical on the paranormal, not that I don't think there are things far beyond our understanding mind you. :p
Personally, other than having a few odd occurances happen after taking a stone from the very back of the historic Bell Witch Cave (which I promptly threw into the woods afterwards) I have no stories.

Although I do know a few from my uncle's past that are quite creepy.

Edit: Oh, PG, I remember those books he had his artwork in they were great :bigsmile:

Clo
03-11-2011, 01:31 AM
When I was very little I was really into ghost stories and seances and the like. It was fun. Being scared is exciting.

spirit
03-11-2011, 03:04 AM
When I was very little I was really into ghost stories and seances and the like. It was fun. Being scared is exciting.

Being scared is exciting, being fascinated and intrigued and excited all at once is even better.

Rocco, I enjoyed that witch story, though it was short.

Peegee, I watch those movies in theaters when they come out, I went to both midnights. I'll likely to do it for the third. :)

Raistlin
03-11-2011, 06:53 AM
I've been a skeptic pretty much my whole life. As a kid, I was an atheist and a skeptic towards any paranormal crap. Yet I loved ghost stories, and wanted them to be real far more than I ever wanted god to be real. I grew up on Goosebumps and Are You Afraid of the Dark?. Ghost stories are just cool and scary and exciting.

But my realism and rationality won out in the end, and it's tough to get too excited anymore about things that are so obviously fictional nonsense -- especially when so many people actually believe in them. Boo logic! :p

theundeadhero
03-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Ghosts don't exist!

Jiro
03-12-2011, 01:32 AM
Ghosts don't exist!

THEN WHO WAS PHONE

Christmas
03-12-2011, 02:45 AM
Everytime I heard a ghost story, I have to wear diapers to sleep. :(

I am a timid little hamster that like to make cute poo poo. :(

spirit
03-12-2011, 02:51 AM
Ghosts don't exist!

Existence may be a dimensional term. :tongue:

Some things that exist aren't summed up so easily as to exist.

theundeadhero
03-13-2011, 07:52 AM
And some things go over your head due to the limited time you've been here such as me posting ghosts/zombies/undead whatever don't exist in every thread that mentions them since 2001 when my name has undead in it :p

Raistlin
03-13-2011, 11:38 PM

This may be the most meaningless and nonsensical post I've ever seen on this message board. Congratulations.

spirit
03-14-2011, 01:13 PM

This may be the most meaningless and nonsensical post I've ever seen on this message board. Congratulations.

Why? Just because something exists, that doesn't mean that it "exists" our understanding of what exists is limited.

You aren't even aware, most likely, of the several dimensions of reality around yours. Of course, it's nonsensical, it's 4th dimensional.

If life after death exists, it's obviously something we rarely witness first hand as a objective experience. If such things truly exist, their obviously filtered or inhibited by what limited observations we are able to make and do make.

spirit
03-14-2011, 05:58 PM
This beautiful tunnel is in Ohio. I recommend the trip to Ohioans.

Remon
03-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Wooo ghost tunnel.

spirit
03-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Wooo ghost tunnel. I don't know if a photo does it justice. But, it's a huge tunnel. It's sort of cool.

Jessweeee♪
03-16-2011, 03:08 AM
My aunt kept getting mysteriously locked out of her house but then she yelled I LIVE HERE NOW SO LEAVE ME ALONE and it stopped happening.

spirit
03-16-2011, 04:50 AM
My sister had a haunted dorm room, she basically did the same thing. And it left her alone. She is, was a skeptic but she is a far more open minded skeptic than she once was.

Citizen Bleys
03-16-2011, 06:35 AM
Just because something exists, that doesn't mean that it "exists"

Actually, that's exactly, literally what it means. Putting a word in quotations doesn't change its meaning. If you want to use a word other than "exists," try, you know using that word instead

You aren't even aware, most likely, of the several dimensions of reality around yours. Of course, it's nonsensical, it's 4th dimensional.

The 4th dimension is time. I hope most of us are already aware of the existence of time. The past is generally rather well documented. More well documented than it should be, really. Who wants to lose a job opportunity at the age of 50 because of something they said when they were 12?

spirit
03-16-2011, 02:18 PM
I was using it as a example, not a literal scientific argument.

Anyways, if you're not going to think creatively, abstract, with me, I don't see the point of having a conversation.

If you would, will, it's apples to oranges.

The meaning of a word is not the same thing as the concept of a word. We only have a limited understanding of the meanings of words. How we define things often changes over time, take that for the fourth dimension. :p

1. an idea, esp an abstract idea: the concepts of biology
2. philosophy a general idea or notion that corresponds to some class of entities and that consists of the characteristic or essential features of the class
3. philosophy
a. the conjunction of all the characteristic features of something
b. a theoretical construct within some theory
c. a directly intuited object of thought
d. the meaning of a predicate
4. ( modifier ) (of a product, esp a car) created as an exercise to demonstrate the technical skills and imagination of the designers, and not intended for mass production or sale

a : the thing one intends to convey especially by language : purport b : the thing that is conveyed especially by language : import
: something meant or intended : aim <a mischievous meaning was apparent>
: significant quality; especially : implication of a hidden or special significance <a glance full of meaning>
a : the logical connotation of a word or phrase b : the logical denotation or extension of a word or phrase
— meaning adjective
— mean·ing·ly \-niŋ-lē\ adverb

Language is a limitation to understanding the universe. I know you might disagree and I don't have the time, interest, to explain the concept to you. You might have time to disagree and put together a argument,that's fine. And logic, well that's like math, and although there's plenty of that to go around, their will always be more...Trying to define things because of equations and calculations is purely academic. These things are validated by human existence, but ultimately their is far greater depth to the universe.

Take coding for example though, in abstract sense. (Don't know what caused the hovering underline ^)

Well, I program in C++, and really isn't something you can't do. At least it is the most flexible programming language. If you want something flexible, take C. And I'll give you some more advice: Take C++. C has some really annoying things that C++ fixes. There really aren't limitations. And C and C++ are good. They're the ones you'd start out with, and the ones I'm continuing in, but if you really liked classes in C, you could try Java. It's really class - based.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_limitation_of_c_language#ixzz1GloQdzD7

You might be surprised how often reality is compared to a computer.

NorthernChaosGod
03-16-2011, 03:51 PM
The meaning of a word is not the same thing as the concept of a word. We only have a limited understanding of the meanings of words.

What?! No we don't. We can have limited meaning of the things they represent, but we make up the words ourselves.

spirit
03-16-2011, 04:02 PM
The meaning of a word is not the same thing as the concept of a word. We only have a limited understanding of the meanings of words.

What?! No we don't. We can have limited meaning of the things they represent, but we make up the words ourselves.

Why are you yelling? No need for that, almost comes off condescending. :p

I'm not in the same frame,right now, to really agree/ disagree with you. There's a lot of words, ideas flying around in this thread.

Thanks for sharing.

I think what I was getting at is that language is a limitation, and that in reality things are NOT ultimately represented by a language, and that like a computer/ program there's different ways of decoding the universe that as human beings we ultimately can't process.

YES, essentially, we do discover alot, we are academic, but I'm sure we are defective, limited by our vessels and that there is possibly a whole other way of seeing the universe, if not just far more in depth.

Citizen Bleys
03-16-2011, 06:08 PM
I was using it as a example, not a literal scientific argument.

Anyways, if you're not going to think creatively, abstract, with me, I don't see the point of having a conversation.

If you would, will, it's apples to oranges.

The meaning of a word is not the same thing as the concept of a word. We only have a limited understanding of the meanings of words. How we define things often changes over time, take that for the fourth dimension. :p

That whole post sounds to me like Maj. Frank Burns chewing out a nurse for handing him the instrument he asked for instead of what he actually wanted.

If you want us to react to what you mean instead of what you're saying, try saying what you mean. I mean, if you can. I can't say what I mean because in the mean, it's too mean. To wit, my attitude towards the so-called "paranormal" is stated better than I could do so myself by M.C. Hawking in What We Need More Of Is Science.

theundeadhero
03-16-2011, 06:20 PM
What I find surprising is the lack of grammar and proper sense in the examples you provided :p

spirit
03-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Those who are lead along by the hand, down a path, will hardly ever bother to look at down at their feet.

Haha, science, academics. There's no point in my continuing this with you.

Have a good day, both of you. Nice M*A*S*H reference, but I don't see why you assumed I know it. :)

Citizen Bleys
03-16-2011, 08:07 PM
EVERYBODY gets MASH references. Everybody.

EDIT: Also, did you seriously just deride reason?

Bunny
03-16-2011, 08:17 PM
This thread frustrates me.

spirit
03-16-2011, 08:29 PM
I know people that aren't even aware of what Mash is.

Peegee
03-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Consider the following statements and critique them for verifiability. Consequent its application to values relevant to motivations of the living:

we are alive and then we are dead
There is a belief of an afterlife - this occurs after death
sensations such as hunger and pain, thought and pleasure are products of functions of the brain
the brain is a physical aspect

Okay that's enough. Your job spirit is to determine the truth value of the above statements and determine, if any, the conclusion of the plausibility and value of the afterlife while you are alive.

spirit
03-16-2011, 09:38 PM
I don't think it works that way, so I'm not going to take it on. Those are your conditions, even if guided by external sources. I've heard the same old arguments, conditions before.

It's remote from the topic, at least where it's went, as well.

Science is real, very real, but only as a shallow observation of reality, there's always going to be more in the approaches we take. We will never have all the answers. Reality is not structured on language, science. Reality simply is, we understand things essentially as human beings with science, logic, language. Reality could be coded in a "language" that goes far above what human brains and minds could ever comprehend.

Only a select few people believe in ghosts, only a select few experience anything to make them believe.

Science is just part of the human experience, and though some results are external, the data we collect will always be incomplete. Their will always be more to collect.

Alien races might even not use language to communicate, if they exist. They might not even see language in the universe, they might read it differently. Outside of ideas, concepts, outside of words...

Sounds crazy, no?

Truth? I had given you more credit than that...truth!? HAHAH, come on now...

Even what's obvious is not truly self evident. There is always going to be more why and how with language, and academics. Science doesn't have all the answers, it's simply our best answers to make sense of what fraction of reality we can relate to.

Our bodys and our minds are limitations.

Peegee
03-16-2011, 09:47 PM
I don't think it works that way, so I'm not going to take it on. Those are your conditions, even if guided by external sources. I've heard the same old arguments, conditions before.

It's remote from the topic, at least where it's went, as well.

Science is real, very real, but only as a shallow observation of reality, there's always going to be more in the approaches we take. We will never have all the answers. Reality is not structured on language, science. Reality simply is, we understand things essentially as human beings with science, logic, language. Reality could be coded in a "language" that goes far above what human brains and minds could ever comprehend.

Only a select few people believe in ghosts, only a select few experience anything to make them believe.

Science is just part of the human experience, and though some results are external, the data we collect will always be incomplete. Their will always be more.

Alien races might even not use language to communicate, id they exist. They might not even see language in the universe, they might read it differently. Outside of ideas, concepts, outside of words...

Sounds crazy, no?

Truth? I had given you more credit than that...truth!? HAHAH, come on now...

Even what's obvious is not truly self evident. Science doesn't have all the answers, it's simply our best answers to make sense of what fraction of reality we can relate to.

Please define the word science. You will see there is a method to my nihilism.

Citizen Bleys
03-16-2011, 10:17 PM
The idea that we can't understand everything isn't exactly new, it's known as Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle. That's not an excuse not to try, and the best tools with which we are equipped to make that attempt are called logic and reason. Failure to use those tools is laziness at best, and self-destructive at worst.

I am not an academic. I hold a technical diploma, not a bachelor's degree, let alone a master's. I consider myself to be of average intelligence, no more. As such, my arguments are accessible to the majority of people, as they're intended to be. You don't need to be able to understand Feynman, I'm using elementary principles. Logic and reason are not restricted to people with master's degrees who work in labs, they are tools that every single human being on earth should use. Failure to do so is frankly inexcusable.

Reason is not limited to the discussion of scientific principles. Buddhist writers such as Thich Nhat Hanh and Dinty Moore present reasonable, erudite arguments in favour of their religious beliefs, which are no more scientifically verifiable at our current level of technology than belief in the paranormal, but they're able to present more lucid statements than "Oh, pfft, you don't understand, you must be some furry-toothed lab rat who can only communicate mathematically." (For the record, I have great respect for mathematics, but I am by no means a mathematician. I don't even understand calculus)

spirit
03-16-2011, 10:20 PM
This is difficult, yet at the same time just as easy as it is difficult to take a shot at:

The human experience. The human process of making sense of nature and its processes. Observation, theory...A academic study.

Rules, laws, restrictions.

A illusion...

A explanation...

The physical universe...:p

A process that draws from incomplete data to make a true to "reality" statement...

A human pass time...

A human method, process...

A discipline that focuses on the physical universe , human experiences which are external and internal...

A psychological discipline. Just try to argue extraordinary things with a science brain...

I think that's about fair, and that's what I think, currently at this time, under these influences and conditions.

Oh, wait, something that structures the universe, defines the universe with language.

The idea that we can't understand everything isn't exactly new, it's known as Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle.

I have to look into this, thank you. I was always interested in Buddhism too.

The thing here is that I'm not saying science is stupid, pointless, incorrect, I'm saying that there is more, there is far more to reality than this simple version of reality, this simply observation, the limited observations we make. There's more, lots more, and our science, I don't think is on the level. Science exists, it's right for us. We are attracted to science because we are the students, spectators, teachers, scientists of science.

Just like hollywood has crooked agendas and is greedy and lusty and we are attracted towards its agendas.

It's a human element, condition. It's the human experience.

Remon
03-16-2011, 10:22 PM
This thread has become far worse than the one with arse hair.

NorthernChaosGod
03-17-2011, 12:02 AM
http://assets.head-fi.org/1/1c/1c3c971c_This-Thread-Sucks-Zoidberg.jpg

spirit
03-17-2011, 12:30 AM
I enjoyed Futurama, have not watched recent episodes though,