PDA

View Full Version : EVERY Final Fantasy (that I've played) is Star Wars! (spoilers)

MJN SEIFER
03-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Seeing as there's been one in FFVIII and FFIX forums, I might as well just tell you that they all have some Star Wars stuff in them. As I've said before, they obviously had a fan among the FF team.

Obviously Necron uses one of Yoda's lines in FFIX.

The revelation of the true identity of Sin is mildy comparable to the revelation of Darth Vader, despite the fact that the two characters are nothing like each other. The real simularity is Tidus' reaction to it. There is also the Dark Knight (I think? It's been a while) in FFII, who is no one's father, but he is related to someone.

Biggs and Wedge show up in a few games, and Piet(sp?) appears in VIII, Red XIII is literally pronounced "Red 13" which may refer to the Red Squadren (all of which are numbered).

The phrase "I have a bad feeling about this... appears in Star Wars, and Final Fantasy a few times.

There's always at least one character who has some kind of supernatural skill, this is the force, in a sense.

Thorn (as in Zorn and Thorn) in FFIX spoke in strangley constructed sentances. So did Yoda.

You can see remains of the Star Wars ships in the dessert in FFX.

Some say, that "Nannaki" is an anagram - I'll reserve that until I check the proper translation.

FFVII has a character called "Cait SITH" - I have heard somewhere that this is a mistranslation of "Cat She", but seeing as "Stray" was a mistranslation of "Cait Sith" this is ver doubtful.

FFIV's "Red Rings" are the Red Squadren.

The music played at the start of FFIV is somewhat similar to Star Wars music.

FFVI has an airship called the "Falcon", probably named after the Millenium Falcon.

"Aren't you a little short for an Imperial Soldier?" in FFVI, very similar to a line in Star Wars.

There is a place in FFX ten called "Luca" - that's just one letter away from "Lucas".

I'm sure there's more. FF and FFV haven't been singled out yet (not played FFIII).

G13
03-11-2011, 12:47 AM
I have a thread in the works for every forum. :monster:

Even this one. :colbert:

VeloZer0
03-11-2011, 12:55 AM
The phrase "I have a bad feeling about this... appears in Star Wars, and Final Fantasy a few times.
Are you joking? I say that like once a week in everyday life.

Hollycat
03-11-2011, 02:21 AM
Seeing as there's been one in FFVIII and FFIX forums, I might as well just tell you that they all have some Star Wars stuff in them. As I've said before, they obviously had a fan among the FF team.

Obviously Necron uses one of Yoda's lines in FFIX.
not on purpose

The revelation of the true identity of Sin is mildy comparable to the revelation of Darth Vader, despite the fact that the two characters are nothing like each other. The real simularity is Tidus' reaction to it. There is also the Dark Knight (I think? It's been a while) in FFII, who is no one's father, but he is related to someone.
hes marias brother, and he joins your party, and this came out before star wars didnt it?

Biggs and Wedge show up in a few games, and Piet(sp?) appears in VIII, Red XIII is literally pronounced "Red 13" which may refer to the Red Squadren (all of which are numbered).
biggs and wedge is on purpose, it is a reference. red 13 is because he is red, and he is subject 13

it also appears in just about evry action movie

There's always at least one character who has some kind of supernatural skill, this is the force, in a sense.
thats true of every movie and game. look at megaman

Thorn (as in Zorn and Thorn) in FFIX spoke in strangley constructed sentances. So did Yoda.
thorn always said the same thing as zorn in a gimmaky way, it was suposed to be funny, not yoda-y

You can see remains of the Star Wars ships in the dessert in FFX.
no, no, no, no, no, no!

Some say, that "Nannaki" is an anagram - I'll reserve that until I check the proper translation.
its not, I just did

FFVII has a character called "Cait SITH" - I have heard somewhere that this is a mistranslation of "Cat She", but seeing as "Stray" was a mistranslation of "Cait Sith" this is ver doubtful.
sith is baised from latin as is cait, i dont remeber what it means though. cait sith is cait sith from ff2, which came out way before the first time sith was used in sw

omg no, please stop

no.

FFVI has an airship called the "Falcon", probably named after the Millenium Falcon.
nonononononono.

"Aren't you a little short for an Imperial Soldier?" in FFVI, very similar to a line in Star Wars.
that one may be a reference

There is a place in FFX ten called "Luca" - that's just one letter away from "Lucas".
omg no. shut up.

I'm sure there's more. FF and FFV haven't been singled out yet (not played FFIII).
ff came out first. ffv has no referense to anything.

G13
03-11-2011, 02:37 AM

Star Wars came out 10 years before Final Fantasy.

Hollycat
03-11-2011, 02:42 AM

Star Wars came out 10 years before Final Fantasy.

oops. I was thinking video games.... wait. thats not right either. are you sure. .... MY WHOLE LIFE WAS A LIe.

wow. I was way off in my recollection. thats sad.

G13
03-11-2011, 02:53 AM
Even if it was about video games it would still have been first. The earliest game I've ever seen was for the Atari and that came out in '83.

When it comes to Star Wars I'm always right. :smug: Except for that one time. :shifty:

Slothy
03-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Even if it was about video games it would still have been first. The earliest game I've ever seen was for the Atari and that came out in '83.

Depending on what you consider a video game, video games predate Star Wars by at least five years: First video game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_video_game)

G13
03-11-2011, 02:32 PM
I was talking about Star Wars games, should've clarified. The earliest SW I've ever seen was an '83 Atari game. If HC meant games in general then yeah, Star Wars came after.

Hollycat
03-11-2011, 02:42 PM
I was talking about pong

MJN SEIFER
03-11-2011, 02:56 PM
I have a thread in the works for every forum. :monster:

Even this one. :colbert:

Oh... Sorry.. :cool:

Slothy
03-11-2011, 03:05 PM
I was talking about Star Wars games, should've clarified. The earliest SW I've ever seen was an '83 Atari game. If HC meant games in general then yeah, Star Wars came after.

Well then this thread has just become one massive pile of confusion hasn't it. :D

DMKA
03-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Well, a good deal of the people responsible for said games are huge Star Wars fans. Or that's what EGM told me, at least.

Jiro
03-12-2011, 12:59 AM
Except for that one time. :shifty:

We'll forget about that to preserve your image, O Master

Hollycat
03-12-2011, 01:16 AM
star wars games for portables are horrible

Jentleness
03-12-2011, 06:26 AM
Star Wars came out in 1977. I remember my parents taking me to see it at the Vine Theatre in Livermore, CA. I also remember sitting on my father's lap and burying my head in his shoulder during the dog fight at the end of movie, because I didn't like to watch the people being blown up.

I should mention that I was 7 years old at the time.

Jiro
03-14-2011, 10:39 AM
They did explode pretty spectacularly.

Mercen-X
03-20-2011, 10:00 PM
In case you're still trying to figure it out, but even if you're not, Nanaki does make for an anagram of Anakin and not just because of the letters. It also works as an anagram in Romaji since the order of the "k-i" doesn't change and the "a" and "n" are treat as stand-alone syllables. In other words "na"-"na"-"ki" becomes "a"-"na"-"ki"-"n".

Jessweeee♪
03-20-2011, 11:23 PM
Star Wars is still Flash Gordon :colbert:

Elpizo
03-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Final Fantasy II IS Star Wars. Without the stars.

Christmas
03-21-2011, 01:10 PM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/D6U9uKuP6H8/0.jpg

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/150/f/2010/138/6/7/FF7CC_Lightsaber_by_rathalos93.jpg

http://www.deviantart.com/download/188308504/sephiroth__lightsaber_wars__by_mlpochea44-d3443rs.jpg

http://wn.com/Angeal,_Genesis,_Sephiroth_Lightsaber_Battle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFMgO9JbUec&feature=player_embedded#at=14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sFQyBLQEbM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weg3UnUHPcY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1iF9qSmupg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f7OAVq1Fes&feature=related

Rase
03-21-2011, 03:07 PM
I wasn't aware all it took was any weird power to be ripping off the Force.

Meh, I just figured it was the usual antimetabole speech pattern that people love giving wacky folks.

Cat Sith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_S%C3%ACth) is a Celtic fairy.

Because I'm anal, it's "Red Wings". I hereby claim they are based on Detroit's hockey team.

Music from the 1990 game Actraiser is also Star Wars-esque. I think people just loved the SNES's sound chip when it came out.

Isn't that just a Woolseyism? If so I'm not sure it falls into this since you seem to want examples from the original intent, not the localization by some American who saw a little scene similarity to something he liked and made it more prominent.

There's a dwarfish princess in FFIV called Luca. I prefer to think it's alluding to that, since it makes more direct sense.

Mercen-X
03-26-2011, 08:59 PM
SEIFER:
My family is obsessed with Star Wars. I had to strike that word because we are no longer worthy of it. You, my friend, are far more Star Wars geek than we shall ever be.

The reason so many things in the Fantasy-verse seem to possess elements of Star Wars is because of the sheer amount of familiar elements used in Star Wars from other media. The game/manga/anime/comic/movie that I'm working on is loosely based on Kingdom Hearts and BLEACH. Yet you would most likely say the entire thing was somehow inspired by Star Wars. Let's face it. You're giving an awful lot of credit to Star Wars and George Lucas in general, whether seriously or sarcastically. GL was not the progenitor of Space sagas nor even science fiction nor the myriad of tropes and plot elements found within his films. A midget named C4 isn't instantly a reference to R2D2 though I'm sure a lot of people would make that comparison if he waddled like the astrodroid. Practically every villain in the Final Fantasy franchise is supposedly inspired by Darth Vader because their wearing spooky masks and caped armor. But that's simply because most of them are based in worlds built to resemble the British region and the medieval period. Hell, if Darth Vader is a riff on the dark knight character.

MJN SEIFER
04-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Because I'm anal, it's "Red Wings".
I acctually knew that! :eek: I must have been really out of it that day - I really don't know where "Red RINGS" came from...