PDA

View Full Version : Most difficult boss fights?

Freya
03-15-2011, 06:13 AM
Alright EoFFers! I need your help! I need to figure out the top 5 hardest (;)) boss fights in all the FF series! Curiosity sake really ha. Any boss, Big boss, little boss. I haven't played them all so I don't know!

Help fill the gaps!

Vyk
03-15-2011, 04:39 PM
I was underleveled at the end of FFIV and for some reason couldn't beat what's-his-face. I think that might be the only boss I had any real trouble with. Though I lucked out on a LOT of boss fights over the years

My first playthrough on VI one of the three guardians or whatever before you can get to Kefka towards the end wiped out my party, all except for Gau. And I really have NO idea what the heck he was using because I've never played that game so hardcore since, I had almost every rage for him at the time, and these days I rarely use him. But he was pretty invincible. The attacks the boss hit him with generally either healed him or did no damage. I had no control over the fight, but he eventually won on his own. Fun times

Similar epicness occurred in FFVII against the two main weapon bosses. The underwater one was completely incapable of ever hitting Yuffie for some reason. He'd do that stomp that did 9999 damage, and kill off the other two party members, but she always just hopped out of the way somehow. He never hit her! So I won only thanks to her dodging those attacks

The weapon in the desert I didn't know the rules against hitting him when his hands are in the ground. So I lost my supporting team members right away. And was left with Cloud facing him one on one. I had a well-rounded set-up of materia however, counter-attacking with ultima for every hit, and casting w-summon Knights whenever I could, and omni-slashing when it became available. And final attack-phoenix. All I had to do was keep drinking elixers and stuff and I was golden. Soloing a weapon with Cloud. Even more good times

As for a legitimate challenge, for some reason Bahamut's wife in FFIV, the queen of the monsters or whatever, also gave me a real challenge. I was underleveled for that too, but I guess I had decent gear or kept up a well-rounded set of buff magic or something, because I didn't really ever face the threat of dying, but I barely ever caused enough damage to counter the fact that she was healing for 3000+ damage like every 3 or 4 rounds. That tit-for-tat crap lasted for over an hour. Ridiculously long fight, but it made it more epic to finally win

In IX I went through the game too fast 'cause I was growing tired of JRPGs at the time and hated grinding and stuff. So I just went from place to place, never spending more time in monster infested areas than I had to. That is until I'd get to a boss fight with Garland or something and got whooped so bad I thought it was scripted for me to lose. That is, until Game Over came up. Lame. But also a similar thing to what happened in VI with Gau happened to me facing some dragon thing in a cave. And again I have no idea what I had equipped, but Vivi was completely immune to it's attacks. Everyone else got wiped out but all it did was heal him. So he solo'd the cave dragon thing. Gotta love Vivi

But again, those were on my first playthroughs. I rarely have any trouble with bosses in FF games these days. IF I play them. I'm still a little touch-and-go with JRPGs and grinding

magemasher
03-15-2011, 05:39 PM
I always found Maliris from ff9 to be difficult as well as the triple boss battle in Terra, Dragon-Kuja-Garland with out a break.

FF bosses for me have always been beatable even when under leveled, strangely I struggle more with strong enemies rather than the bosses,especially in FF13.

haha vyk-I had that with vivi and the dragon on my 1st ff9 playthrough, vivi and bio kicked that dragons arse.

Depression Moon
03-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Vivi and a dragon?

qwertysaur
03-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Mandatory bosses or optional? I'll pick from both but usually the optional superbosses are the hardest in the game.

Here are some I remember having trouble with.

Seymour Flux. (The third fight with him), FF X
I found this boss to be much harder than the Fourth Syemour fight. His party wide attacks hurt a lot.

Gogo, FF V
This is only if you actually decide to fight with Gogo. (you are supposed to do nothing. Hard hitting counters which lead to Gogo just going berserk on your party. Coupled with a time limit because you are underwater.

Zodiark, FF XII
Party wide spell that has a 1/3 chance of instant death (that is used liberally), along with the ability to become immune to your attacks is already quite the challenge. Add getting through the gauntlet that is the Henne mines in one piece and you have a tough boss.

4 Crystals, FF V
This boss is manageable if you know what to do, but if you don't then they will probably steamroll you with their powerful spells that they use when low on HP.

Vyk
03-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Vivi and a dragon?

In a cave!

I dunno. I think its when you rescue Garnet from those Jesters or something? I haven't played the game since it first came out, so its been a while. My memory is probably a bit rusty, but FFwarden obviously knows what I'm talking about :D

magemasher
03-16-2011, 12:42 AM
Yeah right at the end of disc 3, loads of dragons come out of the lifa tree but you only fight one of them. Maybe Nova dragon.

Jessweeee♪
03-16-2011, 01:09 AM
FFXIII: Gigantuar. Just. D:

Freya
03-16-2011, 06:53 AM
I always had trouble with the final boss on IX. I've had 3 play throughs all the way up to that point before I had beaten the game.

theundeadhero
03-16-2011, 12:28 PM
The last boss on FFIV is one for the list.

The Guardian Statues of FFVI aren't much of a challenge. If anyone has trouble it's due to party management and combat tactics.

I can see the Emerald and Ruby weapon being on the list.

Bahamut's wife in FFIV, Ashura, is a pushover when you cast reflect on her. She'll keep you healed up more than hurt you.

Gogo is in no way hard :p As you said yourself just wait for it.

Dark Bahumat in FFIV where you get the ultimate sword could be on the list.

Omega weapon from FFV.

Karifean
03-16-2011, 06:34 PM
5. Neochu / XIII

His impaling attack does insane damage, his roar does too... heck when doesn't he do insane damage? And the Picochus don't make it any easier either.

4. Seymour Flux / X

I HATE this guy! He is pretty tough.

3. Dark Yojimbo / X

His attacks are just deadly, period.

2. Major Numerus / X-2

I didn't stand a chance when I first fought him. I survived like... 15 seconds?

1. Strongest Shinra / X-2

Hell. The only way I've beaten him yet is by using a Megalixir and a Miracle Drink, and even with those, I had Game Overs. Beating him is REALLY worth it, though.

(I haven't played FF I through VI so I can't really say anything about them)

Depression Moon
03-16-2011, 07:38 PM
Seymour Flux X

Omega Weapon VIII

Goddess Statue VI

Ozma (Maybe) I beat him on two tries my 1st time around, but this time I'm not doing as well. maybe I was on a higher level the 1st time or was just lucky.

Hashmal XII

One of those Weapons VII (I hardly tried to beat them. Fought them twice, but never made it a goal to actually beat them. Who knows maybe next time I'll win easy. Nah, easier. Both of those things wiped my party out in a heartbeat.)

theundeadhero
03-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Ozma is less a matter of how hard or easy it is so much as having the right gear and skills equipped and then getting lucky.

qwertysaur
03-17-2011, 01:59 PM
I found Zeromus hard in the DS version, but in the GBA version he was pretty easy.

The guardian statues in VI are only really difficult if you don't have full parties when facing them. Goddess might give some people issues with her ability to turn your entire party into zombies with Cloudy Heaven, and Overture can be really annoying.

Freya
03-18-2011, 01:52 AM
So far we're agreeing that Seymour Flux was hard form X, The Guardian Statues of FFVI, and Bahamut's wife in FFIV? Those are a few of the names i've seen mentioned a few times.

Jessweeee♪
03-18-2011, 02:32 AM
I forgot about FFX-2's Via Infinito.

Like, every boss in that place. :(

Hollycat
03-18-2011, 02:37 AM
1. minerva cc- dear lord, this thing takes hours to beat when doing 99999 damage each hit. Plus she has an attack that peirces pheonix down and does often over 70000 damage, and couples that with repeated attacks. That attack can wipe you out no matter how well prepared you are if she does it twice
2. ruby weapon vii- I just hate this thing, takes way to long to fight. I beat him once, never doing it again
3. emerald weapon vii- way too hard to beat without first mastering every materia and getting the master materia
4. hell wyrm xii- this thing is just as tough as minerva almost, so much harder than yaizmat
edit:
5. babylon iv- this thing kicked my ass so many times I gave up

Sephiroth
03-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Simply everything in the original Final Fantasy for NES and the CPU in Final Fantasy IV DS.

Battle begins.

"Laser Beam"

Battle Over.

theundeadhero
03-18-2011, 05:04 PM
The Guardian Statues of FFVI, and Bahamut's wife in FFIV?No, they were mentioned more than once to say how not hard they are.

Rase
03-19-2011, 08:13 PM
It's Leviathan's wife.

And so I semi-contribute, Zeromus was decently hard in the original IV and the DS remake (though I abstained from using Augments, so maybe that was why).

Vyk
03-20-2011, 01:51 AM
The Guardian Statues of FFVI, and Bahamut's wife in FFIV?No, they were mentioned more than once to say how not hard they are.

xD Yeah. I totally admitted that most of my trouble was lack of preparation. Considering I was in Jr High or High School and only played most of the series just once each, I forgive myself. But my experience doesn't speak for anything. Had I went through those games a second time I probably would have stomped them. But I had no clue about exploiting the system. Hell I didn't learn to heal undead enemies until FF8 (I think). Let alone the idea of casting reflect on a boss so they can't heal themselves. That'd make that fight as easy as taking four reflect-rings to the fight at the top of the tower of Zozo~