PDA

View Full Version : Black and White

Timekeeper
03-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Pokémon Black and White have been out in Australia for nearly a week, and everywhere else even longer, yet I see no release thread here?!

So who has it already, and what are your thoughts? Has it lived up to your expectations? Do you just hate the fact that they've made yet another with yet more Pokémon? Discuss!

Personally I've found it to be quite good, better than Gen IV for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on...
I quite liked the fact that there's a Grass type starter Pokémon which I actually want to choose over the other two, and that all of the Pokémon I've encountered are new, rather than new and old together. It feels like a whole new game, rather than just an addition to the ones before it.

Skyblade
03-15-2011, 07:23 PM
I've been playing, but between this, Radiant Historia, Persona 3 Portable, and the earnest waiting for Dissidia, I've been short on time.

Overall, it's the best technical execution that the games have had. The changes are all minor, and all for the better.

Take the intro. You get your Pokemon, battle your friends, yadda yadda. All good, all standard. Then, as you set off for the next city, you get challenged to a competition to see who can catch the most Pokemon. No real reward, but it adds a bit more character and flavor to the game. Then, as you charge into the next city, you get taught about type trumping immediately, and given the tools you need to take advantage of it. The first Gym Leader always uses a Pokemon who is Super Effective against your starter. But, if you explore the city before you challenge him, you will be given a Pokemon that is Super Effective against his. Again, introduces the aspects of gameplay much sooner.

And it carries on with allowing the flexibility early. Before the second city you can acquire the following Pokemon types: Psychic, Dark, Electric, Flying-Normal, Flying-Psychic, Rock, and two of the starter elements. That's a huge variety compared to what is normally availible before then.

TMs can now be used over and over, so you no longer hold on to them for ages wondering when they can be best used, and they get put to use immediately.

The one big failiing of these games is the Pokemon themselves. Most of them just look stupid. Yes, I'm judging by looks, but, I'm sorry, the designers of these things are clearly running out of ideas.

Jessweeee♪
03-16-2011, 05:38 AM
I've been playing a Japanese copy with an English patch for a few weeks now. It's Pokemon, same as ever.

Some of the designs are...odd. There is a trash bag pokemon named Trubbish. It's description is something along the lines of "a trash bag exposed to radioactive waste." It's evolution is Garbador, and it is a large pile of trash that has broken through the trash bag that was formerly Trubbish.

http://img.pokemondb.net/artwork/trubbish.jpg
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/c/c4/569Garbodor.png

Fynn
03-16-2011, 08:52 AM
I don't get it. Everybody - even reviewers! - is saying that all the new Pokemon are all ugly. They're a hit and miss, in my opinion, but overall I find them charming. Every new generation is different.

*Devore*
03-16-2011, 03:55 PM
For me, the first generation Pokemon were the best, because they were the originals and veery diverse. But you have to give some credits to the pokemon designers, five different regions all with 150 odd pokemon that are unique to that area. I would have ran out of ideas after the seconds region.

Jiro
03-17-2011, 02:50 AM
The fact that they have any ideas, no matter how (t)rubbish is quite impressive.

Jessweeee♪
03-17-2011, 03:45 AM
I don't get it. Everybody - even reviewers! - is saying that all the new Pokemon are all ugly. They're a hit and miss, in my opinion, but overall I find them charming. Every new generation is different.

One thing I've noticed about this generation is that there are many more pokemon modeled after common inanimate objects than usual xD

Chris
03-18-2011, 02:44 PM
I'm currently clocking in at 43 hours, and it's been fun so far. There's a lot to do, and some of the small changes are most welcome, but I just want... more. I hope they they go farther the next time, and the entire franchise just needs an update. Beating Gyms is fun, but I've been doing so for over ten years now! Something more, please.

Also, the seasons should have been made to change once a week, and not once a month. It's been a boring autumn ever since I started the damn game. :(

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-18-2011, 05:14 PM
Just started...

~*~Celes~*~
03-18-2011, 05:46 PM
39 hours, 45 minutes. So much of my time has been spent grinding! I have six out of eight badges, Victini is in the PC, and still catching as many as I can!

Oh, and I have Black, btw. My Fiance picked up white.

qwertysaur
03-18-2011, 07:10 PM
I will be getting white when this semester is over. If I get it now I'll end up neglecting my schoolwork and fail. :|

The fact that there is now a Fire/Bug type amuses me greatly.

Aerith's Knight
03-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Anyone know some good pokemon to get in the beginning?

Jessweeee♪
03-19-2011, 03:42 AM
I will be getting white when this semester is over. If I get it now I'll end up neglecting my schoolwork and fail. :|

The fact that there is now a Fire/Bug type amuses me greatly.

Fire ant?!

Aerith's Knight
03-19-2011, 03:15 PM
I'm just waiting for a fire/water type pokemon, named Magmamon

escobert
03-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Does the game include all the other pokemon from other games or just the new ones? It'd be kinda cool if they had a 'Pokemon world' game that had all the areas from all the games and all the pokemon and you could just run around the world like Ash. I'd be down with that.

Aerith's Knight
03-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Only.. *sigh*.. on the second playthrough. >_>

~*~Celes~*~
03-20-2011, 05:31 AM
Black and White just have the new generation, but if you beat the game, you'll get to a point where you can find older pokemon, as well as transfer your pokemon over from other pokemon games...Gonna do that with my soulsilver!

Vćrn
03-21-2011, 09:01 PM
I have White. Beat the Elite 4, mostly with my level 60 Liepard. The next highest level Pokemon in my party was my level 38 Emboar.
Now I'm running around with a party of one level 41 Lillipup + five level 31 Lillipups (all with Pickup) because I got roflstomped in the final battle and need to farm rare candies. It's way too grind-y to level my Liepard normally at this point. (I can get him to 74 right now :bigsmile:)

Nice
03-31-2011, 05:59 AM
I found the White to be the best experience I've ever had with Pokemon in the for the last three gens. Loved it.

Bunny
03-31-2011, 04:23 PM
After putting in several hours over the last few days, I can say that Pokemon White is a complete success. The developers solved the number of problems that plagued the last few Pokemon games and added a few things that make the game even more fun. A number of the pokemon are odd looking or have silly names (looking at you Trubbish) but they're still pretty fun.

Someone should breed their start pokemon and give me an egg. WTB servine.