PDA

View Full Version : L.A. Noire

ScottyRedXIII
03-15-2011, 10:45 PM
Is anyone else hyped about this game? It kinda reminds me of Heavy rain....... but ALOT better. The amount of time that must have been spent on making this game must be imense. 32 HD used to capture every detail in the actors faces.

aslong as it has a decent game time and decent online. i think this will definatly be worth every penny

Dreddz
03-16-2011, 12:39 AM
Given the amount of time this game has been in development I'm sure it'll be good. Rockstar have strict quality control. They wouldn't release LA Noire if it wasn't going to live up to everyones expectations.

Psychotic
05-21-2011, 12:36 PM
bump because fuck yeah

game owns

Mo-Nercy
05-21-2011, 03:23 PM
This game is pretty awesome. It lacks the sort of freedom and stuff on the side that RDR, Bully and GTA have, and the whole facial reading side of things is sort of rendered pointless since you pretty much know if someone's lying from your gathered evidence. I'm nit-picking though. This game rocks.

For me, it's sort of like a blend of Mafia II and Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth.

Depression Moon
05-21-2011, 07:26 PM
I really want this.

Flying Arrow
05-21-2011, 07:33 PM
See, I'm kind of suspicious about this game. On the one hand, I like the idea that it's basically an adventure game. But on the other hand, why is it an open world game? Watching the gameplay videos, it almost seems as though Rockstar's games are required to be open world, despite whether or not the actual gameplay is benefited by it. Are there clues everywhere and sub-missions everywhere, or are you basically running around open environments for its own sake? I saw some gunfights too and worried about it becoming a moody noire thriller on one hand, and another murder-fifteen-henchmen-in-a-warehouse-with-regen-health-and-cover action game on the other. Are the cases themselves any good? Or are they too easy? The tech demos and everything give me the impression that facial-capture tech will basically be used to make solutions obvious (if it doesn't, why use such groundbreaking tech?).

I'm really curious about this but still really iffy. Maybe I'll give it a rent.

Skyblade
05-21-2011, 07:39 PM
I wasn't interested enough to play, but I have to admit, I am currently laughing about the graphics in the post-release trailer. All the work they put into it, all the hype and buildup, and we wind up with something that is, admittedly, extremely detailed, but also ridiculously fake looking. The details are there but the shadows and colors are all wrong.

NeoCracker
05-22-2011, 03:06 AM
It kinda reminds me of Heavy rain....... but ALOT better.

Having been playing, I will say it is in no way better then Heavy Rain, outside of the extreme detail on the details caputred by the camera's.

The actual character designs are mostly bland, and there are a few people that just look a bit freakish, when they aren't really intended too. I can in no way see it as visually appeasing as HEavy Rain was.

In addition, most characters in the beginning are really bland, especially your main character. Not to far in yet, but the game isn't doing a good job at making me care about these people. NOw the exception is the guy who goes on about delivering divine wrath and what not. He's fun.

I will say it is quite fun and enjoyable though. In it's own rights, it's a very good game I'm glad to have bought day 1.

Shiny
05-22-2011, 08:34 AM
The facial expressions and voice acting in this game are amazing. Very clever idea especially to make it more cinematic to fit the noir style. Also the body language psychology is spot on. My only complaint so far is that I wish the game was less repetitive. The homicide mode has been almost the same thing over and over. I'm hoping it gets better. Heavy Rain was a lot more diverse in it's story. After a while the missions are finding patterns but it becomes too predictable and takes away the fun. Since I'm still only on homicide it will most likely get harder.

To add more challenge to the game I sometimes purposely don't gather all the clues to force me to read body language for response and use either doubt or truth.

Mo-Nercy
05-22-2011, 03:47 PM
The investigating is fun, though a little repetitive. The story's really good too. It really kicks up after the last few Vice cases. The big let down for me after having played through most of it (I'm kind of vibing that the end is coming up) is the overall lack of fighting, and its relative ease compared to GTA and Red Dead. With L.A. Noire, the fist fighting is laughably simplistic and the gun fights rarely pit you against much more than 5-6 guys, whereas in GTA and Red Dead you'd be shooting off dozens.

It's also disappointing to see a city so huge with so little to do in it.

Psychotic
05-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Beat it, enjoyed it. It was something different from anything else I've played, and it was fun trying to piece things together and dig about for an answer.

As Mo says, the city is huge but so empty at the same time. It always feels like you're driving down the same street. Would've liked more personality. Los Santos in GTA: SA was a more interesting representation of LA, I think.

Story was both intriguing and confusing. I feel the need to listen to Dead Man's Gun though.

I don't think you can fairly compare it to Red Dead and GTA, because it's simply not a sandbox game. Sure, there's an open world to drive about in, but it definitely is not a sandbox. A good game, a fun experience. It just felt like it lacked a little, I don't know, something to make it an all time classic.

DK
05-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Beat it a couple of days ago, was a good game, not quite the grand epic I hoped it would be but still fun enough for me to rinse it out in a couple of days. Would have liked something more though. I felt a bit constricted by the way it was done, throwing you into cases straight away. I would have preferred being able to wander around and start cases when I felt like it. Wasn't a fan of the pacing either, everything was over too quickly and neatly, the homicide cases were my favourite in the game just because of how it all comes together, but doing them one by one was pretty inane. I think it would have been more entertaining if you were working multiple cases at a time and piecing things together from that.

I would definitely like to see more games along this line from Rockstar, and it was definitely a high quality first attempt at something like this, but they could definitely do better imho.

Shattered Dreamer
05-23-2011, 11:30 AM
Bought the game Saturday & started it last night. I'm enjoying it for the most part, little repetitive here & there but I am enjoying it. I agree when people are saying it isn't a sandbox game because that's apparent after just a couple of hours of play. I'm a little worried to hear people have already finished the game because I was expecting another 30 hour plus Rockstar game to fill my evenings when I'm bored :/

Shaibana
05-23-2011, 11:53 AM
ive heard verry good comments from friends etc :)
Id like to buy this game too.. but only when its cheaper

Clo
05-29-2011, 02:22 AM
I effing love this game. My boyfriend and I are currently addicted to it, and I have given way too many of my hours to it this weekend.

I get pissed when I miss evidence.

Shattered Dreamer
05-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Finished it in about 19 hours. It was beginning to get very repetitive at one point but the last 4 hours of play, WOW! The ending was just awesome! Gonna try to get 5 stars in all the cases next :bigsmile: