PDA

View Full Version : So long, farewell, au revoir, auf wiedersehen and good night.

Baloki
03-17-2011, 12:07 AM
Four score and something like ten long years ago an elite commando unit was formed by some Eyes on members by the names of Bou, Loony BoB and Roogle with the sole mission of bring together all the knowledge contained within the triforce of EoFF into one place that anyone could just do an internet search for and be enlightened. That group was called Site Staff. Over the years it had many victories and brought much needed light to an internet without it. Many comrades (http://www.eyesonff.com/staff.php) fell in the battle to bring you everything you needed to know about your favourite series, but now this chapter of their venerable history is drawing to a close.

I would personally like to thank you all (even BoB) for your efforts over the past times and without each and every one of you we wouldn't have even half of what we have now, I'd also like to give a general thanks to every member who contributed something, no matter how small or large, every bit of help was appreciated.

However times change and people move on, the Site Staff crew has become small and over-whelmed, along with this new, bigger, and better things are coming and as such myself, BoB and Roogle has agreed that now is the time for us to go quietly into the night. Therefore it is with regret I announce that the Site Staff group is disbanding but fear not my friends for as I said, new and bigger plans are afoot!

I guess this also means no Ciddie for me this year ;p?

Loony BoB
03-17-2011, 12:11 AM
I'll have to think over how to deal with Ciddies based on any progress in our discussions regarding how to proceed with the site, but if the Ciddies were tomorrow, I'd probably include everyone who made up the final group of site staff.

A massive thankyou to anyone who ever got involved. :)

NorthernChaosGod
03-17-2011, 12:18 AM
Oh, noes! :onoes:

Thanks, guys! :monster:

Hollycat
03-17-2011, 12:34 AM
I dont understand... What's going on?

Vyk
03-17-2011, 12:48 AM
I'm guessing this means the admins are the sole maintainers of the site now

It was a long and wondrous run though. You guys did great and thankless work over the years

Jiro
03-17-2011, 12:51 AM
no, what. you can't do this. how will I ever make site staff now?!

Thank you for all your hard work over the years, guys and gals. Although we didn't appreciate it outwardly, I'm sure we'd have been fucked if not for your tireless efforts.

Now site staff will really do nothing. And the joke's not even funny anyway.

Del Murder
03-17-2011, 01:19 AM
Anyone who does not think that a well maintained front site is beneficial for forum traffic is fooling themselves. So thank you site staff for all your hard work. We all appreciated it, even if we rarely said so. :)

G13
03-17-2011, 01:32 AM
Thank you former SS. :kiss:

Jiro
03-17-2011, 02:11 AM
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd61/Seiken_Bushido/Sitestaff.png

The Site Staff of Eyes on Final Fantasy were always an underappreciated bunch. A single joke was continually repeated: Site Staff do nothing. While those outside the group found it humorous, those involved did not, and with good reason.

The effort needed to maintain the front site was great, and only with a dedicated team could it be maintained and improved. The Site Staff, occasionally known as Cid's Technicians, were this team.

They fixed what was broke and what wasn't broke just so that it looked nicer. The Site Staff were not paid to do this, and they invested many hours into the site without ever asking for recompense.

The Site Staff were heroes, and will forever have their mark stamped upon EoFF.

Who will help me when I have Wiki problems now?

Madonna
03-17-2011, 03:57 AM
Thank you, site staff, for posting your own farewell since the forum staff could not be bothered to make an announcement.

Your toils were appreciated and will be missed.

escobert
03-17-2011, 04:12 AM
I hate the front site :mad2:

qwertysaur
03-17-2011, 04:22 AM
You know what else. I'm still going to be finishing the content for 358/2 days. :p

And I did manage to steal the best SS ciddie from you last June :p

Freya
03-17-2011, 04:32 AM
Thanks guys for all your hard work!

Loony BoB
03-17-2011, 10:26 AM
All of your questions as to who will do what going forward for the frontsite will be answered once we agree on a new process/setup/whatever. It's in the works, people, and you will definitely be informed... we'll probably need people to help contribute again in due time!

theundeadhero
03-17-2011, 10:32 AM
After hundreds of hours invested under the title and many many sleepless nights this is a really sad loss :(

kotora
03-17-2011, 03:00 PM
So does that mean that nobody is going to update the site anymore? Forever?

Loony BoB
03-17-2011, 03:03 PM
No. That's not what it means. It means that we're starting from scratch soon and want a clean slate to work with due to the change in processes etc. But we'll let you all know once we know!

Madonna
03-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Obviously they shall update much in the same way OMGmygame does (did).

DMKA
03-17-2011, 04:14 PM
So does this mean Roo and BoB are going away? :/

Loony BoB
03-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Nah, you can't get rid of us that easily.

I Don't Need A Name
03-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Thanks for all the hard work guys :]

Hollycat
03-17-2011, 09:15 PM
NOOOO! NOW ILL NEVER GET TO BE STAFF!!
cruel world!

Good job guys, enjoy retirement

Baloki
03-17-2011, 09:57 PM
I can now finally take out Flying Mullet without anyone suspecting a thing, BECAUSE NO-ONE SUSPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

escobert
03-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Does anyone actually use the frontsite? I once looked on it for info for FFVII and said "fuck this :bou::bou::bou::bou:" and went to gamefaqs.

Bunny
03-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Can you actually retire from a job where you do nothing?

qwertysaur
03-17-2011, 10:53 PM
Does anyone actually use the frontsite? I once looked on it for info for FFVII and said "fuck this :bou::bou::bou::bou:" and went to gamefaqs.
If a member is not coming through a referral then there is a very good possibility that they came through the frontsite.

We did do work. Look through Site Volunteers and The project. :p

Remon
03-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Somehow I feel sad, even though I'm a newb :(
Sankyu.

Bunny
03-17-2011, 11:05 PM
Oh.

My bad.

If a member is not coming through a referral then there is a very good possibility that they came through the frontsite.

The probability of them using Google to find something out for a Final Fantasy game and being directed to an active forum is higher than being directed to the corresponding front page.

Hollycat
03-17-2011, 11:21 PM
Actually thats wrong, I have almost never got a link to the forum whilst looking for ff stuff, it was always the frontsite, and that is why I joined

NorthernChaosGod
03-17-2011, 11:22 PM
Just because it wasn't like that for you doesn't make it wrong. You're not the entire population.

Aerith's Knight
03-17-2011, 11:36 PM
I don't like change.

DMKA
03-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Does anyone actually use the frontsite? I once looked on it for info for FFVII and said "smurf this :bou::bou::bou::bou:" and went to gamefaqs.

Back in the day when you could download all the emulators and ROMs of FFI through FFVI I used it. Searching for a rom of FFVI on Yahoo is actually what lead me to EoFF. :p

Hollycat
03-17-2011, 11:42 PM
I have some roms and a signed copy of ff 20th anniversary that will work on any psp available for download if you want them?

Loony BoB
03-17-2011, 11:44 PM
Oh.

My bad.

The probability of them using Google to find something out for a Final Fantasy game and being directed to an active forum is higher than being directed to the corresponding front page.
Around 50% of the traffic EoFF receives is frontsite traffic - this has been the case for years. A very large portion of our members probably do come in through the frontsite. I know I did.

NorthernChaosGod
03-17-2011, 11:49 PM
I don't even remember how I came here. :|

Vyk
03-18-2011, 12:40 AM
I left a community for another gaming franchise that was stagnating itself and very anti-newbie. A bunch of elitist pigs. So I actively went searching for a new community. I decided to try a Final Fantasy community. I can't remember how I settled on this one. I think it was because it had the most active FF6 discussions going on at the time, and I jumped right into those without making a newbie thread. I didn't search for forums though. So I had to have navigated here through the frontsite

Christmas
03-18-2011, 12:42 AM
Thank you so much, it was the frontsite that got me hooked to this place.:bigsmile:

fire_of_avalon
03-18-2011, 01:38 AM
True enough, like Christmas, I wouldn't be around these parts if it hadn't been for the frontsite. (I know, I know, some of you are now cursing it's existence.)

I don't think I could thank everyone enough for the work they did. But thanks anyway.

escobert
03-18-2011, 01:54 AM
I did join because of the front site but I only joined the forums because the front site didn't tell me anything useful :p

Hollycat
03-18-2011, 02:05 AM
so we all came from the frontsite? btw, I am playing hide and seek with a girl on the internet, and her clue may lead her here, if someone joins in the next 5 days and asks about shayne then dont point out this post, this is where Im hiding. If she doesnt find me in 5 days, I win

Jessweeee♪
03-18-2011, 02:15 AM
I think I googled and got a frontsite link, but I skipped right to the forums, registered, asked a couple of questions, and was redirected to the frontsite :confused:

G13
03-18-2011, 02:29 AM
I can't remember if it was through the frontsite that I found this place. I know I was looking for some FFVII pictures at the time. I think the only time I ever really used the frontsite, back when I used to lurk, was just to log in.

Jiro
03-18-2011, 05:23 AM
Front site got me too. I don't remember why, but that's how it was.

Loony BoB
03-18-2011, 10:29 AM
I think I googled and got a frontsite link, but I skipped right to the forums, registered, asked a couple of questions, and was redirected to the frontsite :confused:
xD

I had to make an effort not to laugh out loud at work when reading that.

Christmas
03-18-2011, 10:47 AM

Seriously, that's really rare. You are alway the special one my little Jessweeee♪~~~~:kaoclove:

theundeadhero
03-18-2011, 10:49 AM
I found the frontsite and then eventually came to the forums.

Baloki and Bob, let me in on the planning for what's to come. Without the stigma of the SS that makes me want to post a big <i>fuck you!</i> towards all the slights I'll want to help again.

Loony BoB
03-18-2011, 11:28 AM
We'll let you know when we've got certain decisions made on how it'll progress as it's in early planning stage at the moment. Still trying to sort out some key decisions before things can go public on any level as depending on those key decisions a lot of stuff could be dramatically different in how we go about it.

Unbreakable Will
03-18-2011, 07:14 PM
I don't like change.

That being said, thanks guys for all the hard work you put in to this great place!

As for the frontsite, I was introduced to this place by Nikki but whenever I use another computer I find EoFF through Google's frontsite link :p

Roogle
03-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Still trying to sort out some key decisions before things can go public on any level as depending on those key decisions a lot of stuff could be dramatically different in how we go about it.

Yes, please look forward to new announcements regarding the front site in the future.

Del Murder
03-18-2011, 07:31 PM
I did join because of the front site but I only joined the forums because the front site didn't tell me anything useful :p
Haha, same here, but that was like 9 years ago before we had a site staff. :p

escobert
03-18-2011, 10:57 PM

Yeah, I can't really remember there being much of a site staff when I joined.

NorthernChaosGod
03-18-2011, 11:01 PM
I don't like change.

That being said, thanks guys for all the hard work you put in to this great place!

As for the frontsite, I was introduced to this place by Nikki but whenever I use another computer I find EoFF through Google's frontsite link :p
forums.eyesonff.com, dude.

qwertysaur
03-18-2011, 11:34 PM
typing eyesonff into google is faster than typing forums.eyesonff.com :p

Vyk
03-19-2011, 12:19 AM
I don't like change.

forums.eyesonff.com, dude.

That's how I do it at work. I'm not lazy!

Christmas
03-19-2011, 12:36 AM
Am I the only really lazy one and just type "EoFF" at google? The first result is the forums! At least for me! :bigsmile:

Psychotic
03-19-2011, 12:42 AM
Whatever happened to bennator?

Old Manus
03-19-2011, 02:27 AM
Oh, you guys :smug:. It was nothing.

NorthernChaosGod
03-19-2011, 02:29 AM

No it's not.

Freya
03-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Yeah I just type Fo and then my browser insta remembers and I hit enter :D Super easy. My homepage is the frontsite though so I look through there first. Never anything new though. BUT IF THERE EVER IS! I see it.

Remon
03-19-2011, 09:00 PM
I have it in my bookmark toolbar. So one click :p

NorthernChaosGod
03-19-2011, 09:06 PM
We were talking about on computers other than our home computer, guize.

Remon
03-19-2011, 09:20 PM
I only open EoFF on my computer. I wouldn't want key loggers to find my precious EoFF password :bigsmile:
But if I'm lurking then forums.eyesonff.com :p

DMKA
03-19-2011, 11:48 PM

Only if you're using Firefox.

Goldenboko
03-24-2011, 12:52 AM
A title I never really did enough with. Post goes out to all those who toiled, Staff and not.

rubah
03-24-2011, 05:25 AM
Just because it wasn't like that for you doesn't make it wrong. You're not the entire population.

Just because you didn't check out the incidence of frontsite vs. forum results for arbitrary google searches doesn't make him wrong. He's a valid data sample~

I came here because I wanted a forum to post at and FFO didn't approve my registration quickly enough

NorthernChaosGod
03-24-2011, 06:37 AM

Just because you didn't check out the incidence of frontsite vs. forum results for arbitrary google searches doesn't make him wrong. He's a valid data sample~
I didn't say he was wrong; I said he's not indicative of a trend.

Rodarian
03-24-2011, 07:55 AM
Wow this is truly an end of such an epic fantasy....I don't believe that saga won't just end here and like you said there will be a new saga...

At least we get to see your pretty faces once and a while!

Renmiri
04-10-2011, 04:49 PM
After hundreds of hours invested under the title and many many sleepless nights this is a really sad loss :(
Idd :/

No. That's not what it means. It means that we're starting from scratch soon and want a clean slate to work with due to the change in processes etc. But we'll let you all know once we know!
Spill it!!!!

Thanks for all the hard work guys :]
Ya, and your welcome for my part, my time on site staff was memorable.. oh the orgies, I'll never recuperate from those! ;)

O.o can't we ??? I did, now I do nothing alone, instead of in a team full of great people :eep:

As someone who did a small rewrite of every fracking page of the ff themed stuff on the frontsite, I can tell you there is tons of good information there. You should check it, it is amazing.

Thanks for all the good work guys and gals! :love: