PDA

View Full Version : Reveal and other important Election stuff!

Election Booth
03-17-2011, 01:55 AM
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd61/Seiken_Bushido/Personal/Random%20Locked%20Stuff/ForumElections.png
"I'm too lazy to make a new banner this time, but I promise you'll see a new one next time."

Alright folks, here are the results of the task presented to future Ministers of the Arts. They were asked to tell us who the best Final Fantasy character was and why, in whatever way they chose. The order was selected by random generator.

The task of choosing Final Fantasy's best character is not a task one man can do alone. Something like this is better suited for, say, a forum of internet nerds who get together daily to talk of such silly things. But because I am a benevolent overlord I will take it upon myself to inform you just who exactly is the absolute best Final Fantasy character.

There are many good, solid characters to choose from. Cloud Strife and Squall Leonhart helped put the angst back in “original gangsta”. Nanaki, Umaro, and Kimahri redefined what it is to have a weird name in a JRPG. Mog and Cait Sith helped ensure that Squenix would make loads more cash by introducing a new line of adorable plush toys. Each and every one of the Final Fantasy characters have been blessing upon the series, but only one can claim the title of “The Very Best”. That character is none other than...

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/EricMiller_photos/FF-SW%20related/MegRyansVagina.jpg
I didn't take this seriously at all, did I? :bigsmile:

That's right ladies and gentlemen, from my short time here on Earth I've come to realize Meg Ryan as a most wonderful actress. Her portrayal of a whiny underdeveloped teenage boy in Final Fantasy X was brilliant! Her overall appearance was what fooled me into thinking she was actually a young man at first, but as soon as she opened her mouth to speak I knew exactly who it was.

For those of you who don't know, In Final Fantasy X Meg Ryan plays a boy thrust into a primitive future plagued by a leviathan known simply as Sin, an embodiment of all the evils the ancestors of the world's current inhabitants had committed. She meets a young Summoner ready to embark on a pilgrimage to destroy Sin and falls madly in love with her, but when she discovers a terrible truth about this noble pilgrimage she vows to do everything in her power to stop it. It's a story of deep love, political conspiracy and intrigue, family conflict, and a power struggle spanning 1000 years! And Meg Ryan is right in the middle of it all!

The character, Tidus, has a very large chip on his shoulder, courtesy of his deceased father, Jecht, that is one of the main focal points of the game. At first look you wouldn't think it's too big a deal, but... oh my, have any of you Earthlings beaten this game yet? Well, Jecht is actually the very creature they've all set out to destroy, Sin. Quite a predicament, eh? Throughout the events of the game Tidus is faced with visions and reminders of his past, of his father, and is forced to face inner demons and forgive his father.

A lot of people can't stand this character for his obvious faults, he's whiny, he's effeminate, he's childish, he's annoying, and he has guylights, and because of this people often overlook the (few) good things about this him. He has great character progression, which is a big deal to a lot of people (myself included). You can contest this all you want, but he's a character you love to hate in the beginning and can't help but feel sorry for by the end. Mission accomplished in my opinion!

In the case with his daddy issues, he really came a long way. He went from throwing a freaking tantrum at a daydream while in Besaid to giving the old man he had hated all his life a high-five in the afterlife. Everything in between was slow and drawn out, but it was progress nonetheless.

He's also got a very interesting background. I don't mean his Blitzball career, anyone can kick a ball 70mph through water. Tidus was a dream come true! I know that sounds gay, pay attention. This cat went from existing only in someone's mind to existing in physical form. And it was explained pretty well, too! And the events at the end of the game only served to strengthen my interest in such a concept.

For these few reasons I feel that Meg Ryan as Tidus is the best Final Fantasy character. If you need anymore reasons just look at Ms. Ryan's long and extensive resume. You've Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle, In the Land of Women, Kate and Leopold, somebody-please-blow-my-smurfing-brains-out-for-knowing-that-many-off-the-top-of-my-head... :shobon:

P.S. I hate Tidus and Meg Ryan with a burning passion and promise to destroy both of their planets should I be elected as your Prime Minister.

From Zero to Hero: the journey of a man marked by internal strife

Over the years, Square has presented us with a huge number of great characters in their Final Fantasy series with so many different styles and personalities, it’s hard to pick one to pick one that can be considered ‘the best’. My choice is by one of the most polarizing characters in FF fandom. Some consider him to be the most awesome playable character in video games to date, while other consider him to be an overrated loser who compensates his tiny wiener with a gigantic sword. They might just both be right. I am talking of course, about Cloud Strife. It’s been 13 years after his first appearance in Final Fantasy 7 and merely mentioning him on the internet is pretty much a guarantee for heated debate and sometimes even flame wars. A lot of people have spend countless hours on analyzing this character. These days analyzing postmodernity in video games seems to be the lastest big thing.

I don’t care much for being postmodern or whatever. I think Cloud is the best character in the series because he’s the appears the most human out of all of them, the one we can identify best with as players, yet in the end becomes a man that we can all strive to become ourselves. He was a socially awkward kid from a small town. The other kids considered him weird and an outcast, including his childhood crush Tifa. As an adolescent, Cloud left his hometown to prove himself and join Shinra’s elite militairy force. Instead he failed and ended up being a common low-ranked grunt. He couldn’t handle this failure, his not living up to his dreams and ambitions, so after Zack died he saw the chance to invent this complete new persona of himself: Cloud Strife, former SOLDIER First Class, the hero Sephiroth’s comrade-in-arms and friend, now as a tough mercenary selling his skills to the highest bidder.

Forget the Jenova cells and the Mako poisoning, they were never the real reason why he came to believe his own lies. Cloud chose to believe his own fantasy because that way he wouldn’t have to deal with being a complete failure, of being the same loser that left his hometown. A lot of people, at one point or another during their lives, pretend to be something they’re not, because they don’t want to face their own failure. Whether it’s about getting that job, making the selection for the special forces, being at a party last saturday or having sex with that hot girl they didn’t meet. This isn’t something people like to admit, not even to themselves. Who can really condemn or blame Cloud for what he did? It wasn’t the most heroic of deeds, but it was caused by his desire to be a hero in his own mind and that of others and that’s what makes him more identifiable than anything. With most heroes in modern media, including the Final Fantasy series, we’re supposed to identify with their virtues. We like heroes because they do the right thing, or because they’re just so damn badass, taking no crap from anybody while saving the world. We want to be like them. Not so much with Cloud.

In Cloud’s mind, Sephiroth was a hero with a legendary reputation, and sitting next to them in the back of the truck our faceless grunt Cloud could seem them talking their business. Zack was the awesome soldier who fought together with Sephiroth and even seemed to be on friendly terms with him. How many socially awkward kids who spent their afternoons playing video games after a school day of being ignored or bullied didn’t wish they were like the ‘cool’ kids? The guys who were good at sports, who had the awesome girlfriends and seemed to be getting along well with everyone? Is it that strange to want to take up their lives when given the change? Is it that much different from spending your time reading comic books, playing video games, watching movies or just plain using your imagination? We invented heroes because they’re what we ultimately all dream to be.

Eventually though, Cloud couldn’t hide or run from his own past anymore. His comrades were already getting suspicious because there was something off about him. Tifa knew he was lying when he told the story about the events that transpired in Nibelheim, and the others eventually started to notice his behaviour wasn’t entirely consistent with the cool experienced mercenary he was pretending to be. Getting tossed into the Lifestream and being confronted by his own lies was the final straw that broke his psyche, but thanks to the effords of Tifa and his other comrades, they managed to pull him back together and put him back together into a new Cloud, one that faced up to his failures and managed to surpass himself. In the end he had to face the Sephiroth that he once so idolized and realized he was nothing but another illusion, a fake god that he had created in his mind, and destroyed him for good. Cloud became his own hero and by doing so, he became the hero that we’ve grown to love and admire.

Final Fantasy 7 was never a particularily sophisticated game with deep dialogue or storytelling. But despite its simplicity it managed to portrait a player character that people could identify with, one that appeared more human than all the others. Despite his failures, Cloud managed to overcome the strife in himself and become a hero in his own right, one that we can look up to as the players.

For the sake of preserving sanity, the author has chosen to completely omit the FF7 Compilation in writing this character analysis.

Which Final Fantasy character is best, and why? Well, I'll start off by asking one simple question. When you were between the ages of seventeen and nineteen, what did you do, and what did you want to do in life?

For Yuna, that question was quite simple. She became a summoner, and the only thing she wanted in life was to bring another Calm to Spira. So what? She could swing her staff around and call upon powerful entities and destroy formidable foes. How does that make her any different from the other characters in the series? That is where her task was not so simple.

Yuna knew what it meant to become a High Summoner like her father. In deciding her path, she knew early on that forfeiting her life was the only way to accomplish what she wanted to do. Even so, she would stop at nothing just so the rest of Spira could enjoy a time where there was no Sin.

Later on, Yuna finds out her whole world, everything she stood for, had been a lie. Summoners...were nothing more than sacrifices giving her people false hope. People took advantage of her good nature to gain power; a thousand years of religion crumbled beneath her feet, and she found herself ordained a traitor. Yet, that never stopped her. Nothing could stop her. Not even a guardian whom she grew to love, was going to stand in her way. Upon learning all of these lies, she was still willing to commit this selfless act for the benefit of Spira.

In the end with the support of her guardians, she was able to defeat Sin forever. But in doing so, she had to give up an important part of her life. The one she loved, in exchange for an Eternal Calm for her people. A great price to pay. As she did along her whole pilgrimage, she remained strong for everyone, even if it was a lie.

Still asking yourself why that makes her the best Final Fantasy character? Good. Because I'm just getting started!

Even after everything she lost during her journey, it didn't stop there. Two years later, she sets out again on another adventure. Clinging to the hopes of being reunited with the one she lost, Yuna makes this one personal. Only...it's anything but.

For every clue she finds, desperately hoping for it to bring her closer to what she wants, Yuna finds it only takes her further away from it. In the end, she finds herself being pulled in different directions by the people she risked her life to save. Worried that they will inevitably repeat their history, she has to make a choice. Let the people dig themselves into a hole and find happiness for herself, or attempt to stop the conflict before they destroy each other.

Again, Yuna puts everyone ahead of herself. With her friends by her side, she finds a way to save Spira once again.
You heard me! She doesn't save her world once, but twice! All by twirling a wooden staff, controlling god like creatures, and shooting guns.

What makes it even better? She saved the world twice and STILL manages to bag her guy in the end! Yuna got her cake, and she ate it too! All in Spira's FACE!

Now, I hope you're still sitting there scratching your heads. Words on a page can't do her justice. So, I conclude this argument with this video. A testimate to just how bad ass Yuna really is.

Regular video wouldn't work, so I included a link. Click it! Do it! The power of The Newbie Party compels you!

YouTube - Yuna! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AslkcMGouyM)

I rest my case :D

Sincerely,
YunaTidus

Go! Arts submission!

Cecil Harvey is the greatest Final Fantasy character because he is the most resourceful leader. I mean, who else would do this:
http://vignettegrimoire.com/_lynx/since-april_2006-09-04.jpg
In addition he is the only party leader to use not not three, not four but 5 party members in battle. He knows those bosses are going to need teamwork to take down, and he can adapt to make any member useful. Even spoony bards, senile sages and precocious mages.

Also his sprites hair is fabulous. http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm163/qwertyxsora/Cecil2-Victory.gif

Credit for the image goes to Genius Lynx.

The other parties failed to submit anything by the deadline, so unfortunately they miss out! :( Better luck next time!

Oh, as for the other important Election stuff...Preliminary voting starts now. Not all of our parties will continue onwards, so you, the citizens of EoFF, must vote for the party you want to continue!

Send your vote to me, Election Booth, in the next 72 hours. I want lots of votes out of you punks.

NOTE: Each vote must be accompanied with at least one (1) and no more than four (4) areas that you feel EoFF needs:

To add
To improve on
To change
To remove
etc

If you don't submit at least one area, your vote will not be counted. These suggestions will play a very important part in the coming stages!

Now go, and vote! 72 hours, so nobody will miss a chance to get them in :D

Jiro
03-17-2011, 02:31 AM
I expect to see the smear campaigns continuing Election Booth, don't let them skimp on that!

Madonna
03-17-2011, 03:52 AM
Thanks, guys, but we already have the position for Iceglow filled. I really loved your auditions, so if I have any other roles I need people like you to fill, I will give you a call. Ciao.

qwertysaur
03-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Very nice submissions from the other Ministers of the Arts candidates who actually submitted anything. :up:

YunaTidus
03-17-2011, 01:45 PM
I agree with qwerty. I enjoyed seeing what the others had to offer. As a fellow Minister of the Arts, I applaud your efforts!:bigsmile:

Christmas
03-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Crap, Lynx is in the Poke party. Good thing this election is not solely based on art or we are finished! :bigsmile:

G13
03-17-2011, 01:57 PM
I got a sneak peek of YunaTidus' when she posted it by accident. It was very good. :bigsmile:

I'm glad I didn't go with my first instinct and write about Cloud. I wouldn't have been able to do his character the justice you did, kotora.

Also, qwerty, I don't get the comic. :confused:

qwertysaur
03-17-2011, 02:06 PM
In Final Fantasy IV fat chocobo will store extra items for you. He can appears in multiple locations so it can be assumed that he carries your items with him.

Do you want to dig through an obese chocobo to look for items?

YunaTidus
03-17-2011, 02:16 PM
I'm glad I didn't go with my first instinct and write about Cloud.

It's kinda funny you say that. My first instinct was to go with Tidus :lol:

Even still, I find it ironic that two of the four submissions were from the same game. :p

Loony BoB
03-17-2011, 03:07 PM
I just find it pretty neat that there were four different characters talked about. =] Diveeersity.

YunaTidus
03-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Yus. Makes people really think about their choice! :plotting:

kotora
03-17-2011, 03:13 PM
I think the Poke Party's submission only proves that they have absolutely no problem with abusing innocent creatures for their own gain.

qwertysaur
03-17-2011, 03:32 PM
I think the Poke Party's submission only proves that they have absolutely no problem with abusing innocent creatures for their own gain.
Fat chocobo offers Cecil to hold the parties items. :p

NorthernChaosGod
03-17-2011, 05:03 PM

Animal cruelty!

Remon
03-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Go Poké Party! :kaocheer:

kotora
03-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Fat chocobo offers Cecil to hold the parties items. :p

Just because he has low self esteem doesn't mean you can use him like a bag of trash. Shame on you:|

Del Murder
03-18-2011, 04:54 AM
An excellent entry for the JLI. Cloud represents the everyman hero, the hero within us all. That is true to our cause!

Election Booth
03-18-2011, 06:25 AM
I don't want to concern you guys, but democracy doesn't work if nobody votes :shobon:

Christmas
03-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Wait, Wait! Give me some time! I was working on the video yesterday and I need to work too! Now just me some time to do the suggestions and stuffs before I send it over! :(

EDIT: and shopping, fooling around....etc. All these take up a lot of my time! :bigsmile:

Loony BoB
03-18-2011, 10:47 AM
It's a 72 hours (3 day) voting period so you should be safe, Christmas, if you get your vote in today. :)

escobert
03-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Wait, Wait! Give me some time! I was working on the video yesterday and I need to work too! Now just me some time to do the suggestions and stuffs before I send it over! :(

EDIT: and shopping, fooling around....etc. All these take up a lot of my time! :bigsmile:
this should be your priority :mad2:!

Christmas
03-18-2011, 12:23 PM

If I dun shop, I will have no clothes to wear! I can't go around naked can I!? (All my tentacles and horns will be exposed!) :mad2:

Besides, that video is important too!! :mad2:

PS: I voted with constructive suggestions! :bigsmile:

escobert
03-18-2011, 12:25 PM

If I dun shop, I will have no clothes to wear! I can't go around naked can I!? (All my tentacles and horns will be exposed!) :mad2:

Besides, that video is important too!! :mad2:

PS: I voted with constructive suggestions! :bigsmile:
I guess we can allow that :bigsmile:

Peegee
03-18-2011, 04:49 PM
It's a 72 hours (3 day) voting period so you should be safe, Christmas, if you get your vote in today. :)

I have to delete my PMs to vote. This better be worth it. I just deleted yarbles spam. It's going to be pokemon spam next ><

Christmas
03-18-2011, 04:51 PM

I have to delete my PMs to vote. This better be worth it. I just deleted yarbles spam. It's going to be pokemon spam next ><

Are you the only person on the forums which BoB didn't give that 65535 PM space? :monster:

Loony BoB
03-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Yeah, if your limit is still less than 65535 then you should let me know so I can look into your usergroups. Can you confirm?

Crop
03-18-2011, 05:27 PM
There's an election going on?

Loony BoB
03-18-2011, 05:30 PM
You've not noticed?

Crop
03-18-2011, 05:32 PM
You've not noticed?

No :(. Guess I'd better exercise my right to vote. After I've thoroughly understood what each party stands for of course.

NorthernChaosGod
03-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Part of me would like to fill up my PMs now, but then the OCPD part of me would freak. :(

Vyk
03-19-2011, 05:07 AM
Considering I've never paid attention to the campaigns before, let alone actually participated in them before, I'm still rather confused. This whole election is not newbie friendly

The other parties failed to submit anything by the deadline, so unfortunately they miss out! Better luck next time!

I'm told that those of us who failed to submit anything can still survive. This quote doesn't make it sound like that is the case. Are we supposed to vote on a candidate that everyone thought pretty much defaulted out of the election? Why was this not originally explained?

Oh, as for the other important Election stuff...Preliminary voting starts now.
What? What "other important election" stuff? We're supposed to start voting on things that haven't even been mentioned yet? Or do you mean THIS "election stuff"?

Not all of our parties will continue onwards, so you, the citizens of EoFF, must vote for the party you want to continue!

Putting together what's been said in threads and what's being said here, you're seriously saying that parties who did not submit anything, and are not even listed in this thread, can still continue by some miracle of voting? (Not that that's going to happen. But again, shouldn't that be explained here?)

NOTE: Each vote must be accompanied with at least one (1) and no more than four (4) areas that you feel EoFF needs:
To add
To improve on
To change
To remove
etc
Now what's the protocol for this? Just "I vote the Yahtzee party to continue and we need more cheese dishes laid out for incoming newbies"??

EXPLAIN

Election Booth
03-20-2011, 12:16 AM
Considering I've never paid attention to the campaigns before, let alone actually participated in them before, I'm still rather confused. This whole election is not newbie friendly

The other parties failed to submit anything by the deadline, so unfortunately they miss out! Better luck next time!

I'm told that those of us who failed to submit anything can still survive. This quote doesn't make it sound like that is the case. Are we supposed to vote on a candidate that everyone thought pretty much defaulted out of the election? Why was this not originally explained?

Those who missed the deadline miss out on the opportunity to submit things. Simple as that. From my experience, it seems only your own party members that thought you had prematurely exited from the competition.

Oh, as for the other important Election stuff...Preliminary voting starts now.
What? What "other important election" stuff? We're supposed to start voting on things that haven't even been mentioned yet? Or do you mean THIS "election stuff"?

Not all of our parties will continue onwards, so you, the citizens of EoFF, must vote for the party you want to continue!

Putting together what's been said in threads and what's being said here, you're seriously saying that parties who did not submit anything, and are not even listed in this thread, can still continue by some miracle of voting? (Not that that's going to happen. But again, shouldn't that be explained here?)

The oversight by not listing the parties who you can vote for is one I admit to. However the point of preliminary voting is to cull the fat as it were. The Princess Party doesn't want to play ball any more, for example.

The "other important election stuff" is referencing the title. There's the reveal of the arts submissions and then the "other" which is the fact that the first round of voting happens now. Yes, you do vote on things that haven't happened yet. But this isn't the final vote so this sort of stuff happens.

To add
To improve on
To change
To remove
etc
Now what's the protocol for this? Just "I vote the Yahtzee party to continue and we need more cheese dishes laid out for incoming newbies"??

The point of this is simple. We can run the elections as a smurfabout, that in the end achieves nothing and is just a bit of gloating and fun, or we can try and add an element that will actually do something to help EoFF. After all, real elections tend to have some sort of "fix the goddamn country" policy.

I've explained as best I could. You might never have paid attention to elections before, but this is only the second one I have been involved in and I'm still trying to learn the ropes whilst bringing a fun and useful elections during a time period where I'm run off my feet and (now) confined to bed because of illness.

I apologise that certain things seem conflicting or underexplained. In future, I'll endeavour to correct this. There is still an hour and forty five minutes before the deadline for voting. I encourage everyone to submit votes if they haven't already. I'm going to try heaving up my guts in the hope it makes me feel better.

YunaTidus
03-20-2011, 12:30 AM
Completely off topic of your current discussion, but even still; I hope you feel better :(

Election Booth
03-20-2011, 12:39 AM
It's not so serious as to keep me in there, I'm just incredibly weak. I'll live, but thank you for your concern! :jess:

Madonna
03-20-2011, 12:57 AM
In all honesty, we could use more cheese.

Vyk
03-20-2011, 01:06 AM
Hm I was trying to make my confusion amusing. I think I may have come off as more of just a douche. My apologies for making things more complicated, and I do appreciate all your effort, kudos for continuing whilst bed-ridden. Starve a fever, feed a cold :} Eat all your vegetables, and maybe some chicken soup

Those who missed the deadline miss out on the opportunity to submit things. Simple as that. From my experience, it seems only your own party members that thought you had prematurely exited from the competition

Ah, alrighty. True enough. Though the Princess Party thought they were disqualified at first as well lol I'm not trying to blame you for this, as you're right, most of the rest of the forum did seem to understand. Not sure what we missed that everyone else understood. Oh wells

The oversight by not listing the parties who you can vote for is one I admit to. However the point of preliminary voting is to cull the fat as it were

I agree, actually. I wasn't necessarily trying to call you out on anything. In hind sight maybe it actually would have been better if the lack of a submission actually had disqualified us though lol I appreciate the chance of a last ditch effort, but apparently none of us actually felt like making use of it after missing the first dead line. But at least now if I participate again next year I'll know this would be the time to start spamming and amusing people in their usernotes. Live and learn~

The "other important election stuff" is referencing the title

Yeah, that one's totally my fault @_@ I completely missed the reference to the title. Sorry sorry. Apparently some of my confusion may stem from not paying enough attention or simply not making connections >_>'

The point of this is simple. We can run the elections as a smurfabout, that in the end achieves nothing and is just a bit of gloating and fun, or we can try and add an element that will actually do something to help EoFF. After all, real elections tend to have some sort of "fix the goddamn country" policy.

No no, I totally got this one :D I was merely asking how you'd like the votes to look when submitted. But you're sick so I'll quit pestering you, worrying about protocol and just do it. My example was meant to be amusing, not to mock what you're trying to accomplish. I totally agree with the agenda. Its a good opportunity for some general input and a chance for whoever wins to actually do something for the people (/members)

I've explained as best I could. You might never have paid attention to elections before, but this is only the second one I have been involved in and I'm still trying to learn the ropes whilst bringing a fun and useful election

Yeah. I know :( and despite my complaints that came off the wrong way I have had fun and do greatly appreciate your contributions. I didn't mean to come off as a pissy customer with an entitlement complex. I do apologize for being a headache :]

I apologise that certain things seem conflicting or underexplained. In future, I'll endeavour to correct this. There is still an hour and forty five minutes before the deadline for voting. I encourage everyone to submit votes if they haven't already. I'm going to try heaving up my guts in the hope it makes me feel better.

Again, I think I ended up being more of a pain than I intended. You don't need to apologize. I should have maybe jumped in chat to ask some questions or sent a PM rather than being catty in your thread. So I'm sorry as well :] Hope you feel better soon, and I'll be sending my vote now

Election Booth
03-20-2011, 01:12 AM
Totally my fault for being sick and misreading your post. Let's all make up and spread the love. Except stand over there so you don't get down with the sickness :jess:

Forty minutes to get your votes in guys. This is, quite literally, a nailbiter (I'm freaking out here, it's so close I'm going to have to triple check my counts) so every vote counts!

Election Booth
03-20-2011, 01:55 AM
The time for voting is now done.