PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Odine and the Ward card

Hambone
03-18-2011, 12:55 AM
The Ward card is won from Dr. Odine but I've been playing against Odine for about 30 minutes. Does he only carry it in a specific place? Like, can you only win it when you first get to Esthar in the Presidential Palace? Because I'm playing in Odine's Lab right before you have to hitch a ride on Lunatic Pandora. :confused:

BG-57
03-18-2011, 01:01 AM
You have to be on disc 3.

Hambone
03-18-2011, 01:07 AM
I am. Right before the party has to run around and meet Lunatic Pandora at one of the contact points.

BG-57
03-18-2011, 01:22 AM
So it's not showing up in any match?

You may want to try making a backup save, advance the plot and try again later on the same disc.

Hambone
03-18-2011, 01:26 AM
Yeah, I've played at least 15 hands, and Ward hasn't turned up once.

Edit: Oh, damn, It turns out I was challenging Odine's stupid assistant by mistake; the dude stands RIGHT next to Odine. I wonder why I didn't catch on when he said "Would you like to play cards?" as opposed to Odine's "You vant to play cards?" :rolleyes:

Edit 2: I now have the Ward card. Haha, thanks.

BG-57
03-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Oh good. I was wondering if you had a glitch or something.

Collect them all. :)

Hambone
03-18-2011, 01:09 PM
No glitches; it's the PSN's downloaded version. :) ...in addition to the other 2 hard copies of the game I own.

And definitely - gotta catch 'em all, at least in this playthrough anyway. (The QoC sidequest, however, is a monumental pain. I messed up and now she's in Esthar. It also doesn't help that I am super foggy on the abolition/spreading of rules. :()

BG-57
03-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Generally go to a place with a rule you like then go to a place you want to spread it to. Usually the opponent will suggest playing with a mix of both rules. After a few rounds one of the rules is randomly discarded. With luck, it'll be the one you wanted to get rid of.

I dislike Same and Wall but I can still win enough times for it to not to be a game breaker. I hate Random, so that's the one I try to get rid of.

On a side note once you get a card type, it adds toward the completion % regardless of whether it remains in your inventory. You can refine and win replacement rare cards from the CQ on disc 4. I'm a hoarder, so I usually only refine rare cards when on disc 4.

Hambone
03-19-2011, 09:07 AM
Oh, okay.

I screwed up. Balamb, instead of only boasting the Open rule, now has...no rules at all. How do I get Open back to Balamb? I'm in FH right now, and the rules are Sudden Death, Elemental, and Open. So how would I spread only the Open rule from there? (I actually don't mind the Sudden Death and Elemental rules; I can work around those but Same/Plus is my nightmare, along with Random, but more so Same/Plus.)

Edit: Through some luck and TONS of soft resets, I managed to manipulate the rules by mixing Balamb's no rules with the rules of Centra, so I was able to abolish Plus from the region (and got the Edea card too). Subsequently, I went to Trabia, where the Queen was after Esthar. I mixed Centra with Trabia, abolished Random, and then I was able to get the Queen back to Dollet and legitimately start the sidequest. Dollet, when I got there, didn't have the Random rule, probably due to something I fooled with earlier on Disc 2.

Long story short, I got lucky; I finished the QoC sidequest this morning (and thus the Chocobo sidequest, which I previously had never done). Thanks for the help. :)

BG-57
03-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Great job! Soft Reset is your friend in Triple Triad.

I'm happy to help. :)