PDA

View Full Version : is this game awesome?

AstonMartin
03-19-2011, 05:59 AM
yea... just wondering cuz im about 5 seconds away from buying that game. cuz i never played it and if it's boring - well i'll buy it anyway i never played it before. so yea

Loony BoB
03-19-2011, 09:11 AM
It's okay. I would say it was the most time-consuming of the FF games I've played, MMO's aside. The story is average for me - mostly because it's not paced very well and you can end up forgetting what is going on because you get so sidetracked by the amount of time-consuming things you can do in the game that don't revolve around the story. The characters - Vaan and Penelo excepted - were good enough. I particularly liked a couple of them but I just wish they interacted more with the environments like they did in FFXIII. The battle system I have to say I didn't really enjoy. It didn't appeal to me on any level, really.

I'd rate it around 7/10, comparing with my ratings for the other games I got to the end of: FFVII (10/10), FFVIII (8/10), FFX (5/10), FFI (6/10), FFV (8/10), so yeah, it's sort of in the middle.

Depression Moon
03-19-2011, 03:25 PM
I say get it. It has the best battle system out of the series to me.

Naeva
03-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Well this is a hard one, I loved the graphics and it also had some really good characters like Balthier and Fran. The battle system wasn't bad, just not my favorite. And all the stuff you could do in it was fun.
The story didn't really catch me though, and I found myself sometimes wondering: what are they doing? and why are they doing it?

I wouldn't grade FFXII awesome, but still a good game.

Vyk
03-19-2011, 07:24 PM
It's certainly worth checking out. Especially if you can get it on the cheap. If/when you do, give it a few hours to grow on you either way though. 'Cause depending on your tastes, Vaan might annoy you in the beginning. But you assemble a team rather quickly and once you have a few people and the story gets past a certain point you can pretty much forget he exists if you don't like him

Wolf Kanno
03-20-2011, 05:54 AM
I say go for it. XII has its eccentricities but I felt it does an outstanding job. Its story is more plot focus than character driven and the pacing is off cause the game world is huge with lots of things to discover but I feel this is a nice trade off.

If you're someone who loves more story focused games and could care less about the game side as long as its not terrible, then you might have some issues with XII cause its easy to go hours without another story scene. Especially since the game let's you go almost wherever you want rather early in the story and most side-quests are made available rather early in the game.

Darkwolf090
03-20-2011, 09:51 AM
I bet Wolf is all so happy to see me in this thread.
I disliked 12, alot.
However its not to say you wont, I just dont enjoy the battle system or the "Main" char, that said I do enjoy the Judges, Bosch and Balither. I would suggest buying used from a place like gamestop so you can return it in a week if you dont like it. I just dont like games that play the game for you... that said it can be fun if you dont use the gambit system but i dont know if thats what your into so I suggest trying it regardless what people like me might say, everyone is different and likes different types of games.

Crop
03-21-2011, 11:25 PM
I say go for it. XII has its eccentricities but I felt it does an outstanding job. Its story is more plot focus

Really? I'd say they tried to focus on the plot, but they tried to throw in so much to make it really good that it just ended up being a half finished mesh that didn't really make much sense.

I didn't like the story, I didn't like many of the characters. But I loved the environment and the gameplay and the amount of places you can explore can take hours and hours, I even came to enjoy the battle system of XII. It kept me hooked for hours just on those points, and the well done mark minigame is great fun. It's worth the buy since you can get it for pennies these days.

Loony BoB
03-22-2011, 01:36 PM
I say go for it. XII has its eccentricities but I felt it does an outstanding job. Its story is more plot focus

Really? I'd say they tried to focus on the plot, but they tried to throw in so much to make it really good that it just ended up being a half finished mesh that didn't really make much sense.
To be fair to Wolf, you completely cut him off mid-sentence and if you include the comparison to character-driven story then he is absolutely correct, the story does focus more on the plot than the characters, quite unlike (for example) VIII which focused more on characters than on the plot.

magemasher
03-22-2011, 06:56 PM
I disliked ff12 on first playthrough 5 years on I quite like it now I am giving it a chance. One word to describe this game is ''frustrating''. I am well under levelled despite the fact I never run from a battle unless I really have to, a lot of this game is grinding where past FF games you must get more exp or something because I seem to be scraping my way through the game. Still it passes the time.

silentenigma
03-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Final Fantasy XII is arguably the only great game Square has released in ten years.

...But if you really love FFXIII, this one might be difficult to get into.

Jessweeee♪
03-27-2011, 07:20 PM
I say go for it. It's one of those rare games that grows on me with each playthrough.

Final Fantasy XII is arguably the only great game Square has released in ten years.

...But if you really love FFXIII, this one might be difficult to get into.

Not necessarily. They're both two of my favorite in the series! I can't really say which one I like more, because they're total opposites.

TrollHunter
03-29-2011, 02:56 AM
I really enjoyed XII quite a bit, though there are a few things i would most certainly change. The chest system was a horrible time consumer, personally I would rather fight some huge behemoth of a creature for the best gear then... open a chest and reset my ps2 for hours on end. Also i found most of the games music to be pretty forgettable, not terrible mind you, just not memorable.
EDIT: oh i also forgot to mention the character design is quite horrible. Seriously why did all of the soldiers in the beginning wear armor everywhere except the place most prone to getting stabbed in? Most of them might as well be shirtless for having the majority of their torso exposed.
I mean look at the design of vaans brother (though im partially convinced its his sister)
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHYKKtxTeijM6QE0kZnkQzF_xGR7LFbp5hQ4LXsx0Vs1k8hblu -face desk-
i could go on about character design but overall i still enjoy this game quite a bit, some things can be annoying but can be overlooked.

Rostum
03-29-2011, 09:44 AM
I really enjoyed FFXII for what it is.

Hollycat
03-29-2011, 09:37 PM
It is an amazing and breathtaking experience with somewhat forgettable characters.

Carl the Llama
03-30-2011, 01:51 AM
Like many who have played this game before, I found it a little lack lustre on my first play through, but now I am playing it again I find myself have a great time, especially with the sky pirates den, my goal is to fill it out and let me tell you each time I get a new figure in my Den I find myself getting more and more into the game, if anything the Sky Pirates Den is the most awesome feature I have experienced in any of the final fantasy series, its really worth getting it just for this feature and it compelled me further into the game.

In short, get it, fill the SPD.

WhiteStorm
04-01-2011, 09:42 PM
I liked it. The graphics are beautiful, very Vagrant Story's style, the music is great, the plot is rich and interesting and complicated and the system is so advanced it doesn't even need you to play :D
But the characters suck... well, except Bash :love: and Ashe.

Lamia
04-05-2011, 07:31 PM
XII is brilliant imo. I put in 200+ hours into it... It has a ton of content and absolutely, brilliantly amazing fantasy zones. The world is breathtaking.

Kaie
04-30-2011, 12:49 AM
It has a huge world to explore and lots of side-quests etc. I for one loved it :)

Mercen-X
05-21-2011, 07:31 PM
With how great the majority of the game was, I had plenty of space wherein to nitpick. Is there a gambit in the game that allows your character to do something more useful when they run out of MP and you don't want them to physically attack something? Maybe there's a "Self : MP less than x" Gambit I have yet to find because all of the useful ones are hidden in chests and coffers instead of being readily available at a shop even near the end of the whole game.

Chests & Coffers: Random, I can understand... but can't they offer more substantial rewards when you're exploring later and more dangerous areas? Why am I cursed to get Hi-Potions and 8 Gil in an area where nearly every enemy causes 2000-3000 damage a hit? Also, why is the Diamond Armlet useless? Who in their right mind considers the Knot of Rust to be a superior item?

Still, it's an awesome experience.

-JJ-
05-24-2011, 10:53 PM
Yes. It is Awesome. And then some.

Polnareff
05-24-2011, 11:57 PM
I somewhat liked it back in '06 but bought it again and tried to play it last year and wondered how I got 30-some hours into the game with how slow and boring it is.

The battle system makes me cringe and frankly the only characters I can tolerate are Fran, Balthier, and Basch.

The story barely exists if you ask me.

But if you can get the game for real cheap (I saw a copy today at Play It for 2.90) then go for it.

dambaz
08-10-2011, 06:39 PM
i was devastaed when i played it the opening intro was weak compared to FF10 not much of a plot either never really gained a rapour with the characters but most of all the battle system the ATB system was the best without it it didnt seem like a FF just my opinium though :)

Mercen-X
08-10-2011, 09:25 PM
Oh! And the game is worth money... maybe buy it on discount. I own the box edition. I'd be playing it now if I wasn't busy writing.