PDA

View Full Version : Have you played? Will you play?

Loony BoB
03-19-2011, 09:00 AM
Update poll. :)

EDIT: And when I say 'playing' I don't mean hardcore. You can be playing it two or three times a month but so long as you intend on playing again in the next week or so then to me that means you're still playing. I would have added an 'other' option but I'm sure you guys can explain in posts if you don't find a fitting option on the poll.

Oh, and yes, I know the servers are down so you technically can't play at the moment... but just put that aside and imagine this poll was set up just before the servers were taken down. :p

Marshall Banana
03-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Jeremy bought it just yesterday, actually, and we plan to try it out on the new computer when we can.

Jessweeee♪
03-20-2011, 05:40 AM
I don't have the money or proper equipment at the moment, but I'm interested in playing this someday. Or I may play FFXI instead. Once I'm able to play FFXIV I'll compare it's current state to FFXI and see which one is more to my liking.

Wolf Kanno
03-20-2011, 07:01 AM
I've learned the hard way with FFXI that MMO's are just not my thing. So I will not partake of this game anytime soon if ever.

Freya
03-20-2011, 07:33 AM
I was interested at first. Then I heard of all the stuff that's been messed up with it and have lost interest. Unless they really some how revamp it, I doubt I'll play. Plus I don't have the proper equipment.

EDIT: Why's there no "I have not played and am not interested in playing" option :/ BIAS

Rostum
03-20-2011, 07:48 AM
Have played, but waiting for it to get better.

I've learned the hard way with FFXI that MMO's are just not my thing. So I will not partake of this game anytime soon if ever.

FFXI is not a very good indication of the general MMO market. It's a very different design. If that means anything to you.

Wolf Kanno
03-20-2011, 10:01 AM
I've never been big on multi-player games so the human social element side of MMO's don't interest me in the slightest which is basically the main appeal of the genre. I actually like XI but in order to get anywhere, I need to rely on other players and I have no interest in doing so, which makes the genre not work for me. XI is a great game with a pretty nice community, it's my own idiosyncrasies that make it not mesh well. :penciltrick:

Loony BoB
03-20-2011, 11:15 AM
EDIT: Why's there no "I have not played and am not interested in playing" option :/ BIAS
Ahahaha. Whoops. Fixed.

Ouch!
03-21-2011, 12:36 AM
Is it awful that I think that the earthquake is probably the best thing that could have possibly happened to Square Enix at this time? Obviously the event itself was horrendous and grossly unfortunate, but look at it this way. Square Enix has closed down their servers as part of the energy conservation efforts. This will likely persist for quite some time (their estimates are constantly... optimistic, I think). This gives them time to continue to develop content without people playing. It's giving them a lot more breathing room, and I imagine either larger patches than were originally planned or a few more frequently.

Perhaps a boom of content. They're fools if they don't take advantage.

DMKA
03-21-2011, 12:56 AM
Is it awful that I think that the earthquake is probably the best thing that could have possibly happened to Square Enix at this time?

Yes, it is awful, and disgusting.

I love you.

Loony BoB
03-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Is it awful that I think that the earthquake is probably the best thing that could have possibly happened to Square Enix at this time? Obviously the event itself was horrendous and grossly unfortunate, but look at it this way. Square Enix has closed down their servers as part of the energy conservation efforts. This will likely persist for quite some time (their estimates are constantly... optimistic, I think). This gives them time to continue to develop content without people playing. It's giving them a lot more breathing room, and I imagine either larger patches than were originally planned or a few more frequently.

Perhaps a boom of content. They're fools if they don't take advantage.
Considering a few of them had family in affected areas, they may be down in manpower. Likewise they will be lacking power in general as the government have called for companies such as SE to cut back on power (hence I believe at least one other major MMO is also down for the time being). I don't think they will have any additional time or enthusiasm at the moment to get things improved. I mean, do you think business-as-usual productivity improved in New York on9/11? Louisiana when Katrina hit? It'll be the same in Japan. People will not be running around thinking "this is the time to shine in MMO land!", they will be too busy being heavily concerned about their fellow countrymen, perhaps starting late/leaving early so that power usage is lower than normal and/or to allow for people to help with relief efforts. Also, those with loved ones in affected areas will be spending a lot of time off right now.

I don't think there will be an improvement to the schedule or to quality because of the disaster. It's already been stated that they are pushing things back by about two weeks or so for patching.

Despite that, I don't think you're a terrible person for thinking it. :p

Bunny
03-21-2011, 06:40 PM
I had an interest in it when the game was first announced, but when they began to release more details, my interest began to wane. Now I have absolutely no interest or intention of every playing this game, regardless of any future updates they make.

MMOs are typically a letdown.

Miriel
03-21-2011, 06:54 PM
I was super excited about the game, and now I'm not even sure if I would play the game, even with all the fixes and patches.

We'll see. Maybe they'll change the game enough so that it's awesome and fun and I'll change my mind.

Mirage
03-21-2011, 08:39 PM
I am playing now, but will quit if the game isn't significantly better when they start charging money for it.

Necronopticous
03-22-2011, 12:16 AM
Jeremy bought it just yesterday, actually, and we plan to try it out on the new computer when we can.
We're going to start a character as soon as the servers go back up. How do we get on your server, BoB?

Ouch!
03-22-2011, 04:39 AM
I don't think there will be an improvement to the schedule or to quality because of the disaster. It's already been stated that they are pushing things back by about two weeks or so for patching.

Despite that, I don't think you're a terrible person for thinking it. :p
While he did announce a delay of one to two weeks for patches 1.16a and 1.17, Yoshi-P also announced that they would continue to do as much groundwork for future content as possible. I imagine the delay will not be too noticeable in the long run. I suppose we'll see where things are headed in the next few hours; they promised a re-evaluation of how long the servers will be down on the 22nd. It's still a very real possibility that their development team will be back to full power before the energy restrictions are lifted and they can get all the servers back online.

Loony BoB
03-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Fair enough. I guess since I'm actively playing the game I just don't want to get my hopes up for something big. xD I always hope, but never expect, if that makes sense.

We're going to start a character as soon as the servers go back up. How do we get on your server, BoB?
Choose Lindblum when you are given the options for a server to join. :) I can't imagine any server will not be listed due to being 'full' at present.

Mirage
03-22-2011, 01:12 PM
game's going back up the 25th btw.

nirojan
03-23-2011, 01:15 AM
I chose the "I have not played FFXIV as I am waiting for the game to be released on PS3." option, but it's a bit of a lie. I played the PC version and completely hated it on my brothers laptop. If it improves significantly before the PS3 version drops, I'll pick it up on the PS3. Waiting for reviews (hopefully review sites will give it another chance on the PS3)

Remon
03-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Have not played. Cannot play :(

Necronopticous
03-25-2011, 07:31 AM
It looked like the servers were all up @ FFXIV Server Status | FF14News - Final Fantasy XIV News (http://www.ff14news.com/serverstatus/) so I installed and updated the game tonight. I've gotten nothing but 13001 Lobby server connection has encountered an error so far. Here's to hoping I can actually create a character soon.

Edit: We're all set up, now. We started in Gridania. The controls are atrocious.

Del Murder
03-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Waiting for PS3 version as I do not have a PC that can play it.

Marshall Banana
03-26-2011, 08:40 AM
The camera gives me motion sickness. I can't play for a long period of time, it seems, but I try!

Aside from that, I'm enjoying the game so far.

Rostum
03-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Make sure you turn on the hardware mouse.

Loony BoB
03-27-2011, 09:32 AM
I thought that was enabled by default now? Or did they just improve it to the point that I no longer notice it's software? Either way, it's fine for me. D= Maybe I switched to hardware and just don't remember.

xXsarahXx
04-15-2011, 06:26 PM
I interviewed the dev team at last years Gamescom and was given a copy from them on release... I've played a bit, but there was so much stuff that just should have been there from the start that it quickly irritated me.

I remember back at the interview the team were talking as though it was nowhere near release yet, then BAM there's the release date.

Im now leaving it a good while to become established and maybe fix some of the wrongs then ill come back and give it a go.

Jiro
04-17-2011, 07:14 AM
I would play it if I had an internet connection that was up to it. Even though MMOs aren't my favourite thing in the world, I would spend every minute talking to BoB about how awesome my character is compared to his.

Obviously I'd be wrong but still

LunarWeaver
04-17-2011, 08:47 PM
MMOs aren't too appealing to me to begin with, and this one looks like a game of waiting for patch news instead of a game you play.

Jessweeee♪
04-17-2011, 09:06 PM
I change my vote to "never gonna play." I've decided that I'm just not going to do the MMO thing ever.