PDA

View Full Version : Sailor Moon is coming back this Fall!

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-21-2011, 04:46 AM
Kodansha Comics USA (http://www.kodanshacomics.com/)

NEW YORK, New York - March 18, 2011 - Kodansha USA Publishing, a subsidiary of Kodansha, announced today the exciting return of Naoko Takeuchi's SAILOR MOON, one of the most significant names in comics and manga, to US publishing. Brand new deluxe editions of the acclaimed series will be released by Kodansha USA's Kodansha Comics imprint in September 2011. Out of print for six years, SAILOR MOON re-launches along with Takeuchi's two-volume prequel series CODENAME: SAILOR V, in print in the US for the first time-making this one of the most highly anticipated manga releases in years.

Anyone else super excited about this? I mean not only are we getting the original series, but Codename: Sailor V as well. I hope by "Enhanced Editions" they are referring to the new editions that were released in Japan a few years ago that put it from 18 volumes to 12, that'd be nice (and probably easier on the wallet).

Also, Toei has been going around the world rereleasing the anime version of Sailor Moon, I hope they decide to redo the series in North America. So far it's been pretty random, some European countries and in Africa, but maybe it will make it's way back to English! :D

Vyk
03-21-2011, 05:50 AM
I never got into it because all I ever saw was the american dub which made Serena look like a whiny self-centered air-head. I respect everyone else's love of it and its impact on anime/manga and its fans in general. But wasn't it a pretty complete series? I don't know how long the manga ran, but the anime was like 5 - 10 series/seasons, and I was under the impression they wrapped everything up (though not that I'd know). That quote doesn't make it clear if this is a reboot or a continuation, either. But if its well done and it makes people happy then hurrah either way I guess :]

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-21-2011, 06:00 AM
It says it is a republishing. The licenses for the manga expired a few years ago (six according to some sources). Tokyopop was the last to have it and no one ventured to pick it up again. It's very hard to find any English copies, though I have found French ones. The original manga was 18 volumes then later condensed into 12 larger volumes in Japan. Codename: Sailor V is 3 volumes.

Usagi (Bunny in Tokyopop's manga and known as Serena in the English Dub) is far from self-centred though she can be a bit selfish at times. The anime in general always portrayed her as more immature than her manga counterpart. She grows a lot in the manga and is much more mature and rounded as a character.

Vyk
03-21-2011, 06:06 AM
Ah, I didn't realize the manga was rare (I wonder why Tokyopop cinched out on that one) then that is definitely good news for the fans

Wolf Kanno
03-21-2011, 07:04 AM
This is awesome news cause I kind of let the series slip away the first time it came out in manga format. I was collecting it when it was part of Mixx Zine (Later became TokyoPop) but they dropped the series part way through. :D

Shlup
03-21-2011, 07:33 AM
http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad169/assuringlynerdy/MOVING%20PICTURES/Kip-Yesss-napoleon-dynamite-387.gif

charliepanayi
03-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Rather misleading thread title - as said, it's the manga which is coming back into print in the USA (and by extension, the UK) in September. Which is good news, as it's a shame such a famous manga title has been out of print for so long.

MJN SEIFER
03-21-2011, 12:50 PM
I never got into it because all I ever saw was the american dub which made Serena look like a whiny self-centered air-head.

That's the version I grew up with, and what you mention lasts for the first few episodes, then she gets better. I have no idea how close that is to the original Japanese interpetation of her, but it's unfair to judge someone on the earlier episodes, as that's usually when they're at their worst.

I dunno what I think about this, though. Even though I loved Sailor Moon as a kid I'm not sure if there's anymore that can be done with it, but we'll see...

Triva #1: I still can't believe they got the name "Selene" wrong - I know her Japanese name is something completly different, and it means "rabbit" or something, and I know that L/R is a common mistake in Japan, but her dub name is obviously "Selene" - it means "Moon".

Triva #2: Sailor Moon was the first time I supported a Slash Paring, but I didn't know about it because one of the guys was made into a girl.

DMKA
03-21-2011, 01:21 PM
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!

I hope they do a revival of the anime here like they're doing in a few other countries. :D

ScottyRedXIII
03-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Awesome, gosh i remember good times watching this on my own in my ro....... i'll shut up now

sharkythesharkdogg
03-21-2011, 10:30 PM
Bad azz! I remember watching and reading this growing up! They had re-runs on some channel early in the morning when I was in my Air Force Tech school. I used to get up earlier than any of the other troops every morning so I could claim the t.v. and watch it. All the other people bitched at first, but after about two weeks they were all into it. I probably created about 20 new Sailor Moon fans that way. :D Just doing my part to spread the gospel.

Jessweeee♪
03-21-2011, 11:14 PM
It would be really awesome if they could take the anime and do something similar to Dragon Ball Z Kai someday.

DMKA
03-22-2011, 01:13 AM
It would be really awesome if they could take the anime and do something similar to Dragon Ball Z Kai someday.

I never heard of Dragon Ball Z Kai until now, and I just looked it up...and yeah that would be awesome. Too awesome.

It's another Toei series that was insanely popular back in the day, so I have hope! :D

cloud_doll
03-26-2011, 01:56 PM
This is FABULOUS. I remember reading the manga via ebook but being the huge Sailor Moon fan I am (all seasons on DVD WINNING) I will definitely get my mom to buy me all the volumes.