PDA

View Full Version : Always on the cutting edge of hip (PSP Suggestion thread)

Rase
03-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Keeping with my habit of getting systems later (such as acquiring a PS2 finally in 2009), I have been given a nifty opportunity to get a PSP and several games I don't care about for very little, especially after selling said silly games. Hooray for no more mooching off friends! This means that I will be able to justify buying games for the system now, and of course there is a decent number of which I have my eye on. So have at this list EoFF, and point me toward my next game to find on the cheap! If it's not on the list you can suggest something, but I will probably not pay much notice.

VeloZer0
03-23-2011, 12:21 AM
Seeing as FFT is the greatest game ever made it isn't too difficult a choice.

Vyk
03-23-2011, 12:44 AM
It really kinda depends on your tastes I'd think. Like FFT and Disgaea are well-crafted strategy RPGs, but they're also tedious and repetitive. Half Minute Hero and LocoRoco are fun and simplistic, but then there's not a lot of meat on the bone

Wolf Kanno
03-23-2011, 01:04 AM
FFTactics and Persona 3 Portable are my obvious choices, Disgaea is fun, but if you have the PS2 versions (or DS version) I don't really see the point. Locoroco and Half Minute Hero have demos available on the PSN network so I would suggest downloading those and trying them out first. Both are really fun but like Vyk said, their more for humor and passing the time as opposed to solid gaming.

I would also suggest KH: Birth by Sleep and MGS: Peace Walker unless you hate the franchises of course, you could also do what I did and mainly use your PSP as a portable PS1 by downloading the PS1 FFs, Xenogears, Legacy of Kain, and Wild ARMS, and putting them on your PSP's Memory stick. :D

Rase
03-23-2011, 01:38 AM
It really kinda depends on your tastes I'd think. Like FFT and Disgaea are well-crafted strategy RPGs, but they're also tedious and repetitive. Half Minute Hero and LocoRoco are fun and simplistic, but then there's not a lot of meat on the bone
My tastes are pretty varied. For handhelds it's mainly: "old-school" RPG's (Dragon Quest remakes, Etrian Odyssey), platformers, Castlevania-esque games, tactics games, and puzzlers. Basically every game on there I am fairly certain I will pick up at some point, because based on what I've seen/read they are all up my alley. Just looking for a solid start from the ones I threw up there.

Disgaea is fun, but if you have the PS2 versions (or DS version) I don't really see the point. Locoroco and Half Minute Hero have demos available on the PSN network so I would suggest downloading those and trying them out first.
Nope, don't have any Disgaea. Played some of the second one on a friends PS2. Also, good point on the demos, forgot they have those.

I would also suggest KH: Birth by Sleep and MGS: Peace Walker unless you hate the franchises of course, you could also do what I did and mainly use your PSP as a portable PS1 by downloading the PS1 FFs, Xenogears, Legacy of Kain, and Wild ARMS, and putting them on your PSP's Memory stick. :D
Maybe Peace Walker, but unless the KH game is nothing like the others in most every way I'll pass. ;) How does downloading PS1 "Classics" work on a PSP? Would I need access to a PS3, or is it just doable through the system as long as I have a Memory stick?

Vyk
03-23-2011, 02:05 AM
Do they test or re-code those PS1 games to see if they're emulation friendly (or to make them emulation friendly)? My PSP is hacked to emulate, but I've heard that even without that, Xenogears has trouble in every system during one of the Deus fights. Something about the PS2/3 and PSP not designed to emulate exact enough causes it to hang when it does one of its special moves, so its suggested to beat that fight extremely quickly if possible. But over-all, compatibility ratios seem to be rather high, especially for more mainstream games

Wolf Kanno
03-23-2011, 05:40 AM
Maybe Peace Walker, but unless the KH game is nothing like the others in most every way I'll pass. ;) How does downloading PS1 "Classics" work on a PSP? Would I need access to a PS3, or is it just doable through the system as long as I have a Memory stick?

The battle system is slightly different, using special moves charges a gauge that unleashes special modes for the characters to do more damage and give them special abilities. Also their is a skill building system where you combine abilites to create new ones. Its very customizable and the gameplay is designed to be a heavy action game. In terms of gameplay, I would say its the best KH title but if the series has burned you before, give it a rental first.

As far as downloading, I would think you could use your PSP since it has access to PSN. I've never tried it for mine, but that's because my Wi-Fi sucks, so I usually use my PS3 instead. I would highly suggest keeping your PSP plugged in when you do though cause some of the downloads can be slow.

Vermachtnis
03-23-2011, 07:03 AM
Disgaea, since you don't have it and that's terrible.

Jessweeee♪
03-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Persona 3 Portable! It's Persona 3, but better, and portable. Why wouldn't you?!

Del Murder
03-28-2011, 06:35 AM
Seeing as FFT is the greatest game ever made it isn't too difficult a choice.
:up: (well one of the greatest at least)

cloud_doll
03-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Yeah my ex got me a PSP for Christmas in 2009 and along with that gave my God of War and Crisis Core. After hating each of them equally and passionately I ended up just hacking the darn thing and putting a Super Nintendo emulator and playing Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Donkey Kong Country, and the early Final Fantasy-s. If you like old school games I suggest doing that because no PSP game is worth playing for realz.