PDA

View Full Version : Majora's Mask

Heath
03-23-2011, 06:52 PM
I've recently been replaying Majora's Mask after lord knows how long. I wasn't a huge fan of it at the time but have very much enjoyed it second time around. I can only assume that this is because I am older and wiser and am now able to truly appreciate this game now that I have grey hairs.

I always felt that, certainly in retrospect, people have much rosier memories of OoT than MM and I think it's such a shame. For what's a really quite and innovative game, I often think that people I've spoken to (rather than reviewers) overlook and underrate it. The mask system itself was good fun and I remember being terribly excited by the prospect of playing as a Zora. The 72 hour day thing was also interesting, as was learning people's routines, etc for the side quests. Though I will concede that I felt the dungeons were less fun than those of OoT, though that's partially because of the fairies that I felt the need to collect.

Let's restore my faith in society by all talking about how good MM is.

Depression Moon
03-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Best Zelda game I've played. Dark, creepy, weird. YouTube - NiN10Doh 64- Zelda Majora's Mask (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj53exPLs-Y) Kotaku, the Gamer (http://kotaku.com/#!5635521/the-haunting-of-a-majoras-mask-cartridge)

Flying Arrow
03-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Majora's Mask is a flat-out excellent game. Some of the dungeon design doesn't really compare to OoT at all, but the things that make MM unique are generally fantastic all around.

NeoCracker
03-24-2011, 03:27 AM
I'm the only person I know in person who liked MM more than OoT. The multiple ways to battle each boss, the interactions with people were better, and the three day cycle was fun and unique. The only dissapointment was how easy Majora was to beat, even without Fierce Diety.

NorthernChaosGod
03-24-2011, 04:07 AM
MM > OoT

It was darker, more polished and innovative. Fighting as a zora or a goron was just fucking fantastic fun.

Fierce Deity Link is the most badass thing ever spawned by the series, it's a damn shame they've never used it since.

Vermachtnis
03-24-2011, 04:09 AM
I wasn't a big fan back in the day either, but now it is one of my favorites in the series. Kafei and Anju's quest is the most touching and heartbreaking thing I've seen in a video game. Coupled with the music that plays on the last day I almost lost it.

Vyk
03-24-2011, 04:47 AM
I never had the pleasure. Since (if I recall correctly) it required the expansion memory and I never got around to buying that :(

Depression Moon
03-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Didn't it come with it?

Heath
03-24-2011, 08:04 PM
I didn't think it did; I remember getting my Expansion Pak with Donkey Kong 64; I don't remember having two.

Depression Moon
03-24-2011, 10:15 PM
I never owned Donkey Kong 64 only rented it, but I'm thinking Resident Evil 2 might've had it if Majora's Mask didn't.

Levian
03-25-2011, 01:34 AM
One of the best games I've played, if not the best. :] Just perfect in every way. Atmosphere, Collectibles, Sidequests, Soundtrack, Difficulty, everything!

I bought it at a shopping market in Spain eleven years ago, when I was 14. (No Expansion Pak Included) and I was pretty much pissing my pants all the way home wanting to play the game so bad.

kotora
03-25-2011, 02:31 AM
Awesome game. Atmosphere is one of the best I've ever experienced in a video game. That moon and the mask salesman were so unsettling.

It managed to piss me off however, after I lost my save because which isn't that hard to do because of the insanely retarded save system. It's been years since I've played it but I keep thinking that I'm gonna take out my GameCube and finish the game someday.

Del Murder
03-28-2011, 06:41 AM
I think OOT is the better game, simply because it was the perfect evolution of the Zelda franchise into 3D and set the mold for years to come. But MM is a great game and has one of the most innovative mechanisms ever used.

cloud_doll
03-28-2011, 01:39 PM
I think people were unsettled by MM mostly because it wasn't set in Hyrule and the 72 clock was too difficult to work around. Which is stupid. MM was a fantastic game. Also most people see it as simple because it does not have as many dungeons as the other games, but it has so much more to do in side quests, mainly with the whole Bomber's Journal or whatever.
This game is somewhat underrated and really should be appreciated. It's pure fun!

Renmiri
04-11-2011, 09:57 PM
MM is my favorite Zelda game

Rostum
04-11-2011, 11:17 PM
I really enjoyed playing Majora's Mask, and it was really well presented. Though unfortunately it isn't my favourite Zelda game.

mashowasho
05-04-2011, 09:57 PM
When asked to list my top 5 games, OoT is always in there, but the truth is I loved MM and Oot equally. I played them both on my cousin's N64 and used to switch between them a lot, so my memories sometimes get blurred between them. I loved collecting all those masks. My favourite was the mask of truth for some reason.... I think I just liked the design!