PDA

View Full Version : Creepy Pokemon Pokedex Entries

Unbreakable Will
03-26-2011, 02:41 AM
Pokemon's Ten Most Disturbing Pokedex Entries - ComicsAlliance | Comic book culture, news, humor, commentary, and reviews (http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/03/15/weirdest-pokemon-black-white/)

Quite possibly the most wonderful thing I've read all day :bigsmile:

How does this affect your views on the Poke Party? Hmmmm?

:monster: DISCUSS

qwertysaur
03-26-2011, 03:07 AM
If there were no trainers, then the next one to lose their soul to a hungry wild Lampet could be you...

Skyblade
03-26-2011, 03:33 AM
Y'know, a Tonberry would fit right in with that crowd.

Awesome reading, thanks for the link.

NorthernChaosGod
03-26-2011, 04:28 AM
I saw this on Facebook already. :colbert:

Vyk
03-26-2011, 05:08 AM
Amusing. But it actually redeems pokemon in my eyes a little

G13
03-26-2011, 06:27 AM
This just reinforces my strong belief that they should have never ventured past the original 151. I don't care about the creepy background some of them have, I'm just disgusted in the lack of creativity with some of these Pokemon. A fucking candle that evolves into a lamp!? Yeesh.

kotora
03-26-2011, 05:56 PM
This just reinforces my strong belief that they should have never ventured past the original 151. I don't care about the creepy background some of them have, I'm just disgusted in the lack of creativity with some of these Pokemon. A fucking candle that evolves into a lamp!? Yeesh.

I thought the second generation had some cool ones as well. But yeah after that it went all downhill. The lastest ones look fucking embarrassing.

Bunny
03-26-2011, 08:43 PM

Better a candle than an ice cream cone.

NorthernChaosGod
03-26-2011, 09:02 PM
I don't know what you people are talking about; the last pokemon is Mew.

rubah
03-26-2011, 10:31 PM
I have a drifloon navy

Proxy
03-27-2011, 05:49 AM
And finally, we have our champion, the brand new title-holder for Most Disturbing Pokemon of All Time. Sure, he doesn't look like much -- a little like Phanto from Super Mario Bros. 2 who's had a few drinks and wants to get in a fistfight -- but wait. Just. Wait.

These Pokémon arose from the spirits of people interred in graves in past ages. Each retains memories of its former life. Each of them carries a mask that used to be its face when it was human. Sometimes they look at it and cry.

All right, let's do this by the numbers.

First, the idea that Pokemon used to be people. This puts a whole new spin on the very idea of this game, in that you're running around bottling up the souls of the dead and releasing them to battle your enemies. Ye cats, those televangelists back in the '90s were right all along!

Second, they retain the memories of their lives. "I used to have a wife. Kids. I spend a lot of time thinking about them, wondering if they miss me. But sure, kid, I'll go punch that lightning squirrel for you. Not like I got much of a choice." This is basically Dante's conception of Hell.

Third, each of them carries a mask that used to be its face. Straight up creepy.

Fourth and final, sometimes they look at it and cry. That. Is. Amazing.

Cubone cries because it misses its mother. That's just understandable. Yamask, however, cries from the sheer existential horror of what it has become while looking at the face it once wore as a human being before it was reduced to its current state, just breaking down under the sheer weight and indignity of all. Oh, and then it evolves into a sentient sarcophagus that kills grave robbers.

I haven't beaten the game yet so I haven't seen the credits, but I am pretty sure these characters were designed by Franz Kafka.

I died.

Heath
03-27-2011, 11:10 AM

I thought the second generation had some cool ones as well. But yeah after that it went all downhill. The lastest ones look fucking embarrassing.

Yeah, I always felt that Gold and Silver had the best balance of number and quality. That said, I don't think the future ones are terrible.

That was very funny. Cubone's always broke my heart. :(

But when you think about it, your job in Pokemon is to basically go around the wild enslaving small animals to do your bidding by making them fight one another. Just sayin'

Tai-Ti
03-27-2011, 12:43 PM
I've been watching my significant other play Black Version over his shoulder for the past couple of days...... it's a pretty big joke. Pokemon is a face palm fest now.

but I don't see what's so creepy about Duskull's entry..... I too, enjoy the crying of children.

Heath
03-27-2011, 04:57 PM
I've been watching my significant other play Black Version over his shoulder for the past couple of days...... it's a pretty big joke. Pokemon is a face palm fest now.

but I don't see what's so creepy about Duskull's entry..... I too, enjoy the crying of children

Really? I think most people still either enjoy or have positive memories of Pokemon. A lot might not get involved with playing the games any more (though quite a few people I know at uni do), but it's still highly regarded.

Unbreakable Will
03-27-2011, 08:33 PM
I enjoyed the Pokemon games up until after Gold and Silver. Sometimes I'll get really bored and go rock some Special Pikachu Edition or the new version of Red. But I'm in agreement that they need to cut it out already. :monster:

Foo
03-27-2011, 08:58 PM
LOL

let's be honest, the idea of catching ghosts that want to steal your life while pretending to be your shadow and making them fight dinosaurs made of trees in revenge is also what makes Pokemon pretty awesome

Peegee
03-27-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm just curious why anybody likes pokemon

NorthernChaosGod
03-27-2011, 09:31 PM

I think PG just divided by zero...

Unbreakable Will
03-27-2011, 09:38 PM

I think PG just divided by zero...
Hahahaha Peegers wtf

Jiro
03-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Yamask is a cool name, I mean, ya mask bruh? ya mask. BUT SERIOUSLY WTF IS WITH ITS ENTRY.

The fella who wrote that article summed it up nicely. Wtf is happening when pokémon = souls of the dead. Sweet jesus on a casserole

qwertysaur
03-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Good thing I'm a master trainer, because it's lesson time.

Notice the types of each entry. With the exception of cubone, what do you see in common? They are all at least part ghost type. Ghosts are supposed to keep you awake at light with a flashlight. :p