PDA

View Full Version : The PS3 out

Hollycat
03-26-2011, 09:47 PM
Post reveiws of games for the PS3, and your recommendations as to whether that game should be bought, rented, or avoided. Decisions will be placed up here.All you get for this is brownie points and the satisfaction that you have helped prevent gamers from regretting their purchaces. * games are must plays. Please tell us where you bought the game and for how much. EDIT: this will also serve as the PS2 out for the time being, PS2 games will be marked with PS2.

Buy:
Uncharted- adventure
Burnout- driving
metal gear solid 4
white knight Cronacles- rpg

Rent:
Infamous- action
Uncharted 2

Avoid at all costs:
Burnout Paradise- driving The best parts of the series have been removed- Devore's opinion
Crysis 2- bolivars opinion

*Devore*
03-27-2011, 12:11 AM
Buy: Uncharted, awesome game. I highly recommend both 1 and 2. Basicly tomb raider with a lot more action, a better story and a male lead who is funny, heroic and very likable. With the second game being even better. Theres a mixture of stealth, puzzle work, driving on land and water and a lot of heavy gun fights.

Rent: Infarmous...about a man who gains superpowers after blowing up a part of a city, good game but it doesn't take long to get through even though the map is very big. The cool lightning powers and being able to let loose these powers on badguys and civilians is fun.There are quite a few extra things to collect like shards and stunts which is really time consuming but it quickly becomes tedious.

Avoid: Burnout Paradise...what a let down. The driving mechanics were good and crashes were cool to watch but the best part of the previous games was left out. Multiplayer. Yes I know that theres online multiplayer but its kind of like playing against a computer. I mean having your friends sat next to you and seeing their face when you cause their car to slam against the wall. For me, that was the main selling point of the previous games yet it was completely ignored here.

Hollycat
03-27-2011, 12:16 AM
Thank you Devore for the first submission

nirojan
03-28-2011, 02:55 AM
Again, like the 360 thread, I'll stick with Exclusives.

Buy:
- Metal Gear Solid 4 (stealth-action)
The finale to the one of the greatest franchises EVER! Kojima's Swan Song for the MGS franchise and the greatest farewell to one of the most beloved heros in video games. This games has like a dozen 10/10 scores from most review sites. Be warned some of the cut scenes are notoriously long. The stealth aspects are improved and there are some top notch boss battles to be had.
- God of War III (action-adventure)
The Conclusion of the epic God of War franchise, chronicling Kratos's revenge against the gods. Action-Adventure just got bumped up a notch. The QTE's have been streamlined so that the buttons appear at the side of the screen. The signature brutal close-kills continue in glorious HD clarity showing Centaur guts spilling out and ripping the head off gods. A completely epic ride!
- Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (action-adventure)
The sequel to one of the most amazing PS3 launch titles. Won GOTY on almost all sites back in 2009! Has the cover system from gears, the action of a summer block buster and the platforming of Tomb Raider at it's peak! The banter talk between character in game is amazing! The most believable cast as Nolan North bring Nathan Drake to life!

More to come!

GhandiOwnsYou
04-04-2011, 06:24 AM
Gotta disagree with the Rent on LBP2 and Modnation. IMO, the mere fact that there are endless community levels/tracks makes them worth a buy. And both are pretty epic if you add in friends and beer on a saturday night.

kotora
04-04-2011, 08:06 AM
on the other hand half of the game of the "buy" games he listed can be beaten in one day

Hollycat
04-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Nirojan, you have to give reasons or I can't add them.

Iceglow
04-04-2011, 06:10 PM
As is the problem with all these sort of threads it's a matter of opinion.

Devore is plain wrong about Burnout Paradise in my opinion and I'm sure once they notice this post, a few other members would be inclined to agree with me.

So what there isn't split-screen anymore, what about it? I mean sure split screening a game can be fun but frankly the split screen multi player was the biggest letdown in the series. It got dropped I would say for the same reasons many other driving games did the same. Split Screening a game means the console must divide the total power dedicated to each frame in 2 or even 3 or 4. Doing so means the game will look less graphically pleasing, will slow the machine down and generally provide a worse experience. Myself, Paul, Arthur and Dan all have Burnout Paradise on the 360 and I doubt it would be more fun sitting round my place together split screening the game than it is sitting there on XBL playing with each other.

In terms of cars, layout and everything else. Burnout Paradise is different from it's predecessors. Whilst I believe having Crash Mode events still at certain key junctions could have been quite cool the free roaming aspect to the city and the number of events possible (even without the DLC) means it's a fantastic game. There is literally over 100 different events and events such as Marked Man and Road Rage are always fun to do.

The soundtrack is at times annoying mostly because the "original music tracks" from Burnout 1 - Revenge are in it along with all the classical music tracks from the Burnout Cityscape mode which is essentially a tour of Paradise City initiated if you sit still for a set time. I would rather have had the rock/pop songs from the previous Burnout games in the soundtrack to Paradise City because since Burnout 3 Takedown the games have all had excellent soundtracks with music from the likes of New Found Glory, Yellowcard, Taking Back Sunday, Avenged Sevenfold and many, many more. In fact the Burnout Soundtracks have at times given me new bands to listen to who I have grown to love. Paradise City's core soundtrack list is pretty damn good though I could hate it for playing Guns N Roses - Paradise City every single time it boots up, we get it Criterion we really fucking do, please...please no more. I loved that song but now when I play the game I often cannot wait to hit skip to next song.

Online Gameplay, well it's seamless between single player and 8 player it's awesome. Let's face it there are some places in the game where getting in to a high powered stunt car and just zipping round with your friends blasting huge air and barrel rolls over anything and everything is awesome. They put challenges in for different numbers of players where between 2 and 8 drivers must work in unison to achieve a goal such as drifting a set distance or a set number of crashes. Theres also challenges such as "All drivers are to meet at the xx location" where all the cars have to find a way up a point or "All drivers must power park with 75% or better rating" meaning each individual driver must complete the challenge which is sometimes difficult because face it, not everyone is as good as each other and sometimes people will experience bad luck in getting through the challenge.

All in all I would suggest Burnout Paradise is a must buy on either format. To claim that the best thing about Burnout was split screen multi is ludicrous and to write the game off because it now lacks that is to write off an excellent game for the sake of an afterthought in 95% of games.

Bolivar
04-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Buy - Metal Gear Solid 4 - not only is it an unbelievable piece of entertainment, the multiple paths, countless equipment, and ludicrous potential play styles make this an insanely replayable game. The multiplayer was fun as well, although I'm not sure how many people still play it.

Rent - Uncharted 2 - easily one of the funnest single player games in a long time, it's quite a roller-coaster ride to be on and leaves you glad that you played it. Rent it to see if the multiplayer or co-op has staying power for you, or if you see yourself going through it again and again on harder difficulties or just for trophies.

Avoid at all costs - Crysis 2 - the game looks amazing at times, but even simple firefights can cause its quality to crash on the PS3. The gameplay as an open-ended shooter was underwhelming, especially compared to MGS4, where there's a million ways to be stealthy, a million ways to be gung ho, whereas here you're really just doing the same thing over and over.

kotora
04-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Yeah Crysis 2 does blow. Where'd you get the idea its gameplay is open-ended? If anything they completely omitted the open gameplay of the first game and turned it into another tunnel shooter like CoD.

Bolivar
04-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Yeah Crysis 2 does blow. Where'd you get the idea its gameplay is open-ended? If anything they completely omitted the open gameplay of the first game and turned it into another tunnel shooter like CoD.

because they kept saying it would be like that during the buildup, with all different options to handle larger areas. I guess they tried to make it like MGS4, a linear succession of open areas with lots of options, but in reality you could only be kinda stealthy or kinda rambo, whereas in MGS there's a million different ways to do either of those things.

*Devore*
04-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Iceglow - "As is the problem with all these sort of threads it's a matter of opinion"

That is so true. I do agree that the soundtrack is awesome.

Anyway

Buy: White Knight Chronicles
An rpg that in a classic fashion, has you gaining party members and special powers, in this case they are called Incorruptus, which is essential a giant mecha knight. Doing this while trying to rescue a mystical princess from a dark knight. The gameplay is set up like an MMORPG, with three action bars that can slot a large range of abilities. The map is very big with a large range of monsters, treasure and materials to collect. You are able to teleport to any previously visited region which greatly saves time, there is also an auto-run button which I'm very thankful for.
The story is somewhat predictable but interesting enough to keep you playing.
You create your own character, being able to change their gender, height, age, skin colour and so on although if your playing solely for the main story then this character is pointless. Although this character is the most diverse, not being restricted by what abilities and weapons it can equip like the main characters.
But unlike the main characters, you never speak, personally gain a giant knight or even have an opinion in what is going. Being a bit of a tag along you follow the main character(The white Knight Leonard) around as he tries to save the princess. This avatar is for the online use, where you can team up with others and spend hours doing extra quests as well as make your own town that people can explore.

This should be pretty enjoyable for any MMORPG fan who enjoy massive maps and grinding and if nice story to go with it. But others may find its boring and side quests a bit tedious. With a similar experience being found on many of the free MMORPG's that can be found on the internet.

Jiro
04-12-2011, 09:22 AM
I have been looking at White Knight Chronicles, it seems like something I'd enjoy.

I want to reiterate the "inFamous is alright" case. I borrowed it from a friend, and I wouldn't pay for it. It was a fun little romp, but nowhere near as entertaining as I first thought. One play through is enough, and once you're done, there's little in the way of enjoyment after the fact. Sure, flying around and zapping people is cool, but you just spent the whole game doing that.

sharkythesharkdogg
04-15-2011, 04:08 AM
So what are the thoughts on Mirror's Edge? Bayonetta?

Jiro
04-15-2011, 04:16 AM
I'm not a fan of Bayonetta. Apparently it's pretty awesome though, but it just isn't my preferred style of game. If you love the Devil May Cry series then you will probably be all over it like butter on toast.

Mirror's Edge was amazing, but it is short. It's probably a renter, if you can find it. Towards the end of the game it becomes more about hiding from the bad guys then actually free running, but the game is such a gem to play.

black orb
04-15-2011, 08:48 PM
>>> People still renting games? Where I live all the game-renting places died since the late 90`s ..:luca:

Jiro
04-17-2011, 01:32 AM
You can rent from the game stores here. At least some of them. Plus all the movie stores stock games; limited libraries, but better than nothing.