PDA

View Full Version : But Who Are they Really?

Forsaken Lover
03-27-2011, 08:37 AM
So I've been revisiting FF8 and 9 and it just occurred to me that some of the optional bosses there have just enough mystery surrounding them to give rise to some speculation about their origins.

For instance, Ultima Weapon in FF8. That whole epic build-up to his arrival was just great and it makes me wonder where he came from and what really happened on the Deep See Lab.

There's also Hades in FF8. Apart from a cool look and battle music, he has that additional dialog if you've defeated Ozma.
"Wh-What!? You've defeated Ozma!? I've come too far to retreat. Onward!"

Hades is clearly a valiant warrior and blacksmith. As to why he's in Memoria, not sure.

So yeah. Have you ever given any thought to where the optional super powerful guys come from? I know some have readily evident explanations but I'm sure not all of them do.

Wolf Kanno
03-28-2011, 06:11 AM
Ozma has always made me wonder, besides being an Eidolon there really wasn't much about him. I wonder, since the IX Ultimania says that Eidolons are manifestations of a planet's crystal, if Ozma may be originally from Terra. No evidence to back this up of course but its an interesting thought.

I would have loved for Ultima Weapon in VIII to have more of a backstory considering the stuff you see in the Deep Research Facility but I've never really been bothered by Omega having no story.

Darkwolf090
03-28-2011, 07:39 AM
Ahem... Necron...
.... discuss

Skyblade
03-28-2011, 03:17 PM
I would have loved for Ultima Weapon in VIII to have more of a backstory considering the stuff you see in the Deep Research Facility but I've never really been bothered by Omega having no story.

I always figured that Omega was created by Time Compression. Monsters throughout history, including Ultima, getting fused into a single, greater unit.

But, yeah, I would enjoy more on Ultima.

Forsaken Lover
03-28-2011, 04:42 PM
That's because Ultima was cooler in every way. He looked cooler, he had better boss music, and the dramatic tension the game makes for his entrance is just wonderful.

Omega is just lame by comparison, whatever its stats.

Is there any explanation for Penance in FFX? (never played International)

Wolf Kanno
03-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Ahem... Necron...
.... discuss

Its in the book... (http://thelifestream.net/non-compilation-articles/final-fantasy-ix-ultimania-translations/1894/world-establishment-development-materials-continued-p-43-of-the-ffix-ultimania/)

Depression Moon
03-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Did VIII have an Ultima Weapon? and Hades was in IX. As for most optional bosses I doubt there are any story reasons to them. They're probably just there for replay value.

Roogle
03-28-2011, 08:00 PM
I believe I recall some Japanese players saying that there was speculation about Ozma being a reference to Ultimecia and Griever? I can only recall hearing about it a long time ago as hearsay.

Saber
03-28-2011, 08:10 PM
In final fantasy VII DoC they state that Omega is the being to take the last life of the planet to another world. So to me Omega is always there when the world is in a crisis and the end is near. If you can beat him there is really no stopping you from saving the world from what ever is going to destroy it.

Hollycat
03-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Did VIII have an Ultima Weapon? and Hades was in IX. As for most optional bosses I doubt there are any story reasons to them. They're probably just there for replay value.
ultima weapon lives under bahamut's house

qwertysaur
03-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Ozma is the forgotten Eidolon. Because it has been sealed for so long, the memories that cycle through the crystal have forgotten what Ozma looks like, so it is only a mass of energy now.

Mercen-X
03-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Ahem... Necron...
.... discuss

Its in the book... (http://thelifestream.net/non-compilation-articles/final-fantasy-ix-ultimania-translations/1894/world-establishment-development-materials-continued-p-43-of-the-ffix-ultimania/)

Is that a secondary form? I may have forgotten what Necron looked like but I thought he was supposed to be some kind of demonic armored thing.