PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! CANT BEAT NECRON!!

Sukai
03-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Hey everyone,

So im playing FF9 and i'm at the end of the game...i can beat trance kuja no problem but i cant get through necron :@......my party is composed by zidane garnet (dagger) vivi and steiner....i'm beetween 55-62 levels and i cant really beat him :S. grand cross is a major pain in the ass but i cant survive neutron ring :S.....i know the method of equiping the anti status effects so dont bother with that......any suggestions??

thnx in advance

Elpizo
03-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Auto-haste and auto-regen help out a lot, too. Hope you have done Chocobo Hot & Gold so you have the better equipment. If you've leveled up Zidane's Thievery, you can deal 9999 damage to Necron no matter what he does. It takes effort and time, but is very worth it. Steiner should use Shock, and if you have shadow absorbing-equipment, you could have Vivi use Doomsday for extra healing, otherwise use Flare. Keep healing with Dagger, you don't really need her summons for damage with damage-dealers like Zidane, Steiner and Vivi in your party.

kotora
03-28-2011, 01:51 AM
That's weird. I finished the game at lvl 45 and I just treated him as a regular boss. He's not that hard if you just keep healing.

Pete for President
03-28-2011, 06:58 AM
Auto-Haste is a must and I found Auto-Regen to be exceptionally helpful as the animations for some of Necron's attacks are ridiculously long. That means free HP!

Also, have you swapped out the level up and ability up abilities for some more useful ones?

Mo-Nercy
03-28-2011, 07:15 AM
I don't know how much effort you've invested into maxing out every character's potential (stuff like doing Chocobo Hot and Cold and stealing from absolutely everything), but even with horribly equipped characters, at your levels, Necron shouldn't be too hard.

The Tower is Zidane's second best weapon and can be found near the bell tower in Memoria (it's quite early on, maybe 2nd or 3rd screen) and a good consolation if you don't want to go back outside and get a Gold Chocobo to get Ultima Weapon.

Vivi's best weapon, The Mace of Zeus, is found within Memoria, towards the end of it. It's in one of the corners of the platforms at the screen where you have to climb a ladder. Sorry if that's a bit vague, but it's not to hard to find if you just search every nook and cranny. The great thing about this weapon is it'll give you Doomsday, which does good damage provided everyone has Dark/Shadow absorbing/nullifying equipment. If you don't have the equipment to go around, Doomsday Sword through Steiner's Sword Magic works well and doesn't hit your party members.

Shock is a great ability to have with Steiner, but if you don't have Ragnarok, you'll have to make do with Climhazzard, which you get from Excalibur which is a much easier sword to get if you haven't done the Chocobo side quest. Basically, you just buy the four 'artifact' items from the Treno Auction House (Doga's Artifact, Unne's Mirror, Griffin Heart and Rat Tail, I think, just going from memory) and sell them to the right people in Treno. One's inside the Synth Shop, the others are all in the screen just outside the Synth Shop building. After that's done, you can get the Magical Fingertip from the auction. Buy that, and give it to the old man in Daguerreo.

Not much to say with regard to Dagger. Just heal every round even if you don't seem to need to, and always keep another character available with a full ATB to Remedy/other status fixing item (I'd probably use Vivi if I had your party). Another handy tip that you might find useful is to equip Auto-Potion in conjunction with Auto-Regen. Even though using a Potion at your level is pretty pointless, Auto-Regen keeps going whilst everyone's chucking Potions on themselves so it's very beneficial.

If you're still having trouble after that, consider keeping Trance Kuja alive just long enough to almost fill a few character's Trance gauges (Steiner and Zidane would be great).

Sukai
03-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Everyone thank you for the advices but can anybody tell me a good place to grind at in disc 4?

TheSpoonyBard
03-28-2011, 04:23 PM
The Yans on Vile Island are the best place. It's south west of the Iifa Tree.

Sukai
03-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Thank you. :)

magemasher
03-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Yans are good for grinding but if your a bit too weak at the moment try the Grand Dragon outside Daguerro or the top of gizamaluke untill your strong enough for Yan. The dragons have a weakness to Quinas level 5 death so it makes for quick battles at 35000 exp between your party.

Hollycat
03-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Just use costly punch (should definitely be a smiley)

Mo-Nercy
03-29-2011, 06:09 AM
You don't really need to level up though. Necron and Trance Kuja are easily beatable from about Level 40-50. Yans'll probably be too tough for you right now and the aforementioned Grand Dragon does give decent EXP, and can be beaten fairly easily with Lvl 5 Death. But the enemies inside Memoria actually give out more EXP than a Grand Dragon (though it may take a few more turns to beat them).

Depression Moon
03-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Red Clippers and Behemoths are the only ones I think that give you decent EXP. Iron Giant I think less. Chimeras, Ahrimans, and Ash don't give you jack.

Hollycat
03-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Red Clippers and Behemoths are the only ones I think that give you decent EXP. Iron Giant I think less. Chimeras, Ahrimans, and Ash don't give you jack.

Very true.
Stick to the red clippers, they're easier to beat up

Mo-Nercy
03-30-2011, 09:15 AM

Just looked it up to be sure. All enemies in Memoria give you 40K+ EXP (with the exception of Ahrimans) with Behemoths topping the list at 53K. Grand Dragons give 35K.