PDA

View Full Version : Favorite kind of weapon?

TrollHunter
03-30-2011, 12:39 AM
One of the things I love about this game is the huge variety of weapons available to you in-game. I want to know what your favorite weapon to use is because I've ran into too many people who just equip 3 great swords and go leroy jenkins most of the bosses in the game.

I would make it a poll but considering there are like 16 weapon options that would make one brutal poll.

~personally poles are my favorite weapon to use, fun combos and good evasion.

Carl the Llama
03-30-2011, 01:40 AM
Zodiak Spear, Zodiak Spear, Zodiak Spear.

Only 1 weapon yes but short charge time + high damage on spears its really a win win situation, hell I can even solo alot of the bosses with just the Zodiak Spear lol.

Not by alot I mean all the storyline bosses and quite a few optional ones too.

Zodiak Spear.

qwertysaur
03-30-2011, 01:49 AM
The only thing I dislike about the Zodiac Spear is that it's impossible to get if you don't know how to get it. :(

Measures are fun for a change. :bigsmile:

Carl the Llama
03-30-2011, 01:57 AM
The only thing I dislike about the Zodiac Spear is that it's impossible to get if you don't know how to get it. :(

You know you can get it quite early in the game, just run away from alot of the mobs and make a beeline straight for it as soon as it is accessible, till then just ignore the chests, there isn't alot of stuff you cant get in a shop, not to mention even if you do get it you may not even have the licence for it anyhow, and again who is to say it will really make all that difference when it comes you current weapons, the Zodiak Spear is just a truly awesome weapon and it was so gratifying that I forgo the required chests and get the Zodiak Spear... the damage it wields is simply staggering, even Penelo can hit for 9999 with the weapon.

Hollycat
03-30-2011, 01:57 AM
greatswords and bows. Imagine if they mixed those two together to make crossbows that shoot claymores. ZOMG

TrollHunter
03-30-2011, 02:06 AM
A claymore shooting crossbow, I might have actually used fran for a change if that existed. I know the zodiac spears awesome, but i just don't care about it enough to go for it. Besides on my current playthrough i accidently looted one of the chests near the beginning so... I will NOT go to the henne mines for the other, I've soft reseted enough times on that game as is.

Wolf Kanno
03-30-2011, 03:42 AM
The poles kick ass :cool:

Guns, I freaking love them. Yes they have terribly charge time but if you built your other two members into Swedish Murder Machines, then you always get initiative as you snipe them and let your minions do the rest. :D The special ammo gave them variety as well. I also like the Greatswords but probably used 1hSwords with Shield combo more until the later parts of the game when the shields become useless.

I also love the Samurai swords. Masamune + Genji Gloves + Haste + Berserk + low health = Highest possible combo and damage MOTHER SMURFER!!!

Ninja Blades would be more awesome if they appeared earlier in the game and if they weren't all inherently Dark Element in nature cause XII loves the undead as enemies.

In truth, there really isn't a bad weapon in this game.

TrollHunter
03-30-2011, 04:01 AM
Ninja swords would've been awesome, but they just lose so much use by the end of the game :eep:
Running into say... the umbra wielding a ninja sword may be amusing, but its pointless.
guns are amazing if you use them right
and that masamune combo is my favorite, when the boss cant use magic to aoe kill him/her

qwertysaur
03-30-2011, 07:05 PM

You know you can get it quite early in the game, just run away from alot of the mobs and make a beeline straight for it as soon as it is accessible, till then just ignore the chests, there isn't alot of stuff you cant get in a shop, not to mention even if you do get it you may not even have the licence for it anyhow, and again who is to say it will really make all that difference when it comes you current weapons, the Zodiak Spear is just a truly awesome weapon and it was so gratifying that I forgo the required chests and get the Zodiak Spear... the damage it wields is simply staggering, even Penelo can hit for 9999 with the weapon.
Nowhere is it mentioned in game that to get the Zodiak Spear you have to ignore specific chests or get very very very lucky. That is the only thing I dislike about it.

Hollycat
03-30-2011, 11:58 PM
My favorite weapon in real life is a spear, preferably a hollow one that has oil inside that increases the momentum of a hefted blow. I made a spear, and if you want to see how i handle it, its a bit like lubu from dynasty warriors 6 once he gets spinning.

Carl the Llama
03-31-2011, 05:07 AM

Nowhere is it mentioned in game that to get the Zodiak Spear you have to ignore specific chests or get very very very lucky. That is the only thing I dislike about it.

Nowa days 90% of people will check out an FAQ about a game, granted its easy to miss it but still...

Depression Moon
03-31-2011, 10:07 PM
Don't see why I should have to check a FAQ or a guide to find something in a game. It's like Final Fantasy IX and Excalibur II. That was just a bad design choice. On topic I don't understand the love for the Greatswords. They take two hands so you cant use a shield and they become obsolete quickly. My favorites were poles, one handed swords, and guns.

magemasher
03-31-2011, 10:30 PM
I like hand axes, Basch has a morning star at the moment which was looted in giruvegen, even better when they cost no gil.

TrollHunter
03-31-2011, 10:30 PM
Don't see why I should have to check a FAQ or a guide to find something in a game. It's like Final Fantasy IX and Excalibur II. That was just a bad design choice. On topic I don't understand the love for the Greatswords. They take two hands so you cant use a shield and they become obsolete quickly. My favorites were poles, one handed swords, and guns.

I would understand if there were some hints to getting the zodiac, heck even subtle hints but if I remember correctly it isn't even mentioned once at all.
I've actually grown fond of maces on my supporting characters, when it gets to the point where your magic doesn't alter what the spell does (when all you do is buff and cast renew) I find a mace/shield combo keeps my mage alive for longer so she can heal back up, I had to constantly rely on my decoy basch when I used staves, now (excluding shield penetrating bosses) It's not a necessity.
My 3 weapons on my main team is:
Basch: 1-h sword / shield
Penelo: poles / katanas
Ashe: Mace / shield (may make penelo my mage, she has much higher mp)

Hollycat
03-31-2011, 11:10 PM
my team
Basch, excalibur, all best armor, destroys everything in rhidorana. Knows all white magics and most time and green magics
Fran with bow, knows all magic, shoots fast, and heals everybody while running around and recovering mp
anyone else except Vaan with whatever. Balthier masamune penelo claymore (lol jk, could you imagine, she has a daggar) ashe with a sword or spear.

sarahanacacia
04-01-2011, 12:10 AM
I have a thing for crossbows, guns, and battle axes.

TrollHunter
04-01-2011, 01:20 AM
I always found crossbows to miss a lot when I used them, maybe I'll give them another try, and axes are amazing of course.

Depression Moon
04-01-2011, 01:21 AM
Crossbows do have sucky accuracy. I forgot about axes. I had found one in my first playthrough on the Leviathan and Basch was a beast with it.

WhiteStorm
04-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Don't see why I should have to check a FAQ or a guide to find something in a game. It's like Final Fantasy IX and Excalibur II. That was just a bad design choice.

Exactly. And the worst of all was that most of the "specific set of chests that you don't have to open" is practically at the beginning of the game! I didn't read a FAQ about weapons until well after half and I did it 'cause my other weapons were fine, but I wanted more power (bwhahahahaha).

As for my fav type, I would go for long swords, axes and spears. Guns and crossbows normally miss and I don't really like daggers.

TrollHunter
04-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Guns have 100% accuracy, what're you smokin'?
I have to say I wouldn't be so annoyed by the zodiac spear if it was mentioned SOMEWHERE in the game.

Mercen-X
05-21-2011, 07:41 PM
Tie between Greatswords & Spears. Both have tremendous accuracy and attack power and they all look frickin' awesome (although I wish Deathbringer was a Greatsword too)... speaking of which, the later 1-Handed Swords look sweet, I don't care what their attack ratings are. I don't heart axes. They can be strong, they can be weak, they can miss a hell of a lot. Help my brain navigate that maze. I don't have much to say on the guns, I'm usally a bit of a hysterical cowboy at heart but none of the guns in the game fit my style. Meanwhile, my favorite bows are the Burning Bow and the Loxley Bow, the only bowgun I like is Gastrophetes. The Whale Whisker & Storm Staff both look like they could be spears. Handbombs have their uses, but I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan. I hate the measures. Once you can cast the spell on yourself, these weapons become useless. You never miss when casting a beneficial spell on yourself, but although the measures still deal you damage, there's no guarantee the effect will add.

Dual-Wielding... lol, wouldn't that be sweet? Wielding a second dagger really should have been an option IMO. I wish ye could wield twin Katana. I would choose Murasame and Ame-no-Murakumo. Or maybe...

TrollHunter
05-22-2011, 01:12 AM
Tie between Greatswords & Spears. Both have tremendous accuracy and attack power and they all look frickin' awesome (although I wish Deathbringer was a Greatsword too)... speaking of which, the later 1-Handed Swords look sweet, I don't care what their attack ratings are. I don't heart axes. They can be strong, they can be weak, they can miss a hell of a lot. Help my brain navigate that maze. I don't have much to say on the guns, I'm usally a bit of a hysterical cowboy at heart but none of the guns in the game fit my style. Meanwhile, my favorite bows are the Burning Bow and the Loxley Bow, the only bowgun I like is Gastrophetes. The Whale Whisker & Storm Staff both look like they could be spears. Handbombs have their uses, but I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan. I hate the measures. Once you can cast the spell on yourself, these weapons become useless. You never miss when casting a beneficial spell on yourself, but although the measures still deal you damage, there's no guarantee the effect will add.

Dual-Wielding... lol, wouldn't that be sweet? Wielding a second dagger really should have been an option IMO. I wish ye could wield twin Katana. I would choose Murasame and Ame-no-Murakumo. Or maybe...

Guns are pretty "meh" on this game. The only one I used was the final one to train up my lower leveled teammates. For guns they're really quite slow and don't even pack that much of a punch. Dual wielding katanas... they're already sexy as is dual wielding would just break the game XD
Dual-wield katana + berserk + critical health + genji glove = oh dear lord

-JJ-
05-22-2011, 08:44 PM
The Dragon Whisker

^_^

Jessweeee♪
05-22-2011, 09:04 PM
I love how each type of weapon has a unique use. Unfortunately some types are only useful only in very unique situations or are completely overshadowed by other weapons (bowguns ;_;!). Guns are pretty awesome sometimes. I like using the poles, but they're not quite as effective as some other weapons.

TrollHunter
05-22-2011, 11:52 PM
I love how each type of weapon has a unique use. Unfortunately some types are only useful only in very unique situations or are completely overshadowed by other weapons (bowguns ;_;!). Guns are pretty awesome sometimes. I like using the poles, but they're not quite as effective as some other weapons.

Penelo is a brilliant pole dancer. Giving her the whale whisker was such a fantastic idea I don't regret it :D

Jiro
05-23-2011, 11:12 AM
I like guns and ninja swords. I mean it's fucking amazing.

Mercen-X
05-28-2011, 08:56 PM
I like hand axes, Basch has a morning star at the moment which was looted in giruvegen, even better when they cost no gil.

I got my Morning Star from the Lhusu Mines. The first time, I was on a hunt for the Antlion and didn't prep properly for the fight, so I died and lost my Morning Star. I had to reload the game about fifty times to get the weapon to appear in the coffer again. I guess I'm just glad that it never turned into a mimic.

I wish the weapons had more noticeable strengths and weaknesses rather than falling back on the "strongest attack rating = most damage" formula. I like some of the weapons being able to hit with Sap and Poison.

Jessweeee♪
06-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Hello have you ever used a gun? The attack rating is usually half of the other weapons at the same tier, but they ignore enemy defense! On some enemies they don't have any special advantage, but on others, stone ones especially, you'll be dealing triple the damage as other weapons! Very noticeable! Elemental staves can also provide a huge advantage. Equiping one and casting the corresponding element against an enemy weak to it can allow you to wipe out a huge mob with one spell!

EDIT:

And of course poles, which take attack rating and magic defense into account, rather than attack rating and defense. Pretty handy against enemies with a high defense.

TrollHunter
06-03-2011, 04:00 AM
Hello have you ever used a gun? The attack rating is usually half of the other weapons at the same tier, but they ignore enemy defense! On some enemies they don't have any special advantage, but on others, stone ones especially, you'll be dealing triple the damage as other weapons! Very noticeable! Elemental staves can also provide a huge advantage. Equiping one and casting the corresponding element against an enemy weak to it can allow you to wipe out a huge mob with one spell!

My mage always uses the corresponding stave and I've noticed how amazing it truely is. Also I DO love me some guns but unless you have all the correct bullets the damage can be subpar with the slower attack speed. They're nice but unless you're well prepared (like moi) they aren't too fantabulous.

CimminyCricket
06-03-2011, 08:49 AM
I had pretty much only used Swords, one hammer and one bow. But, I've always loved swords more than anything else. :\

Mercen-X
06-11-2011, 09:06 PM
The fact there are no Earth-element spells available to the cast makes me appreciate the Cypress Pole and the Stone Arrows in battle. But even those rate low on my scale compared to the other available options.

Caelheim
06-13-2011, 12:56 AM
I've never been much of a fan of the zodiac spear. As powerful as it is, the game is made pretty trivial as a result of wielding it...at least as far as the main storyline bosses are concerned. In regards to my favourite kind of weapon, though, I'd have to go with the rather cliché answer of...swords. Most notably if they're the 'knightly' kind - such weapons appeal to me quite a lot!

Mercen-X
06-17-2011, 02:17 AM
Mythril Blade, Iron Sword, Bastard Sword, Deathbringer, Diamond Sword... pretty, pretty, pretty.

TrollHunter
06-17-2011, 07:38 AM
Swords do have a lot of cool designs, but alas poles which always be my favorite... forever and ever and ever

Polnareff
06-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Katanas.

The first time I played I gave Vaan a katana once he got that far on the license board. It was pretty humorous to see a brat like him swing a huge Japanese sword around. :p

Mercen-X
06-18-2011, 10:14 PM
All of the Katana look alike. All of the Ninja Swords look alike. Saddened. The only "noticeable" differences are on the hilts which are covered up by the user's hand anyway.

LunaRaven
09-02-2011, 02:26 AM
Design wise I've always liked:

Flametongue
Durandal
Morningstar
Doom Mace
Euclid's Sextant
Tournesol
Masamune
Orochi
Dragon Whisker
Gungnir
Rod of Faith
Wizard's Staff
Perseus Bow
Artemis Bow
Aldebaran

In answer to the OP's question, I really like using axes and maces, and I love equiping Penelo with a big arse measure on account of how cute she looks.

WhiteStorm
09-07-2011, 12:59 AM
One-handed swords all the way. They are powerful, quick and you can equip a shield to raise your defense. What's not to love?