View Full Version : Aeris V Aerith

Hollycat
04-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Which name do you like better?
Why?

I choose Aeris, because it roles off the tounge nicer

Fynn
04-04-2011, 09:13 PM
I like Aerith. It'th tho lithpy it'th thexy.

Jessweeee♪
04-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Aerith looks better, but Aeris sounds better.

BG-57
04-04-2011, 09:44 PM
I use Aeris, mainly because that how it was spelled in the copy of FFVII I played.

Hollycat
04-04-2011, 09:45 PM
It should be pronounced aeris and written aerith

Fynn
04-04-2011, 10:10 PM

That would be so Wapanese. :)

Depression Moon
04-04-2011, 11:04 PM
I use Aeris, mainly because that how it was spelled in the copy of FFVII I played.

It also sounds better too. Also think it's more unique to have a character named after a stellazzio.

WhiteStorm
04-04-2011, 11:12 PM

Yeah :cool:

Jiro
04-05-2011, 01:34 AM
I prefer writing Aerith mostly because S-E have gone and said "yeah that's what it should be" but I will forever call her Aeris because it is how it was in FFVII

Khimbar2775
04-05-2011, 02:27 AM
I prefer writing Aerith mostly because S-E have gone and said "yeah that's what it should be" but I will forever call her Aeris because it is how it was in FFVII

i respect any decision made by squaresoft. not squeenix. i find it very hard to appreciate most any decision made by squeenix.

silentenigma
04-05-2011, 03:58 AM
pro-Aeris reporting.

Wolf Kanno
04-05-2011, 04:46 AM
Aerith for me, I don't mind the way it sounds cause I always felt Aeris sounded just as silly. I also feel that since her name is meant to be a tie in to the Planet and her ancestry, it works on more levels than the ones fans are use to. :p

Course I tend to be a stickler for accuracy though even I will admit I make some exceptions. :ffvisad: :ffvilaugh: :ffviscorn: :ultros:

escobert
04-08-2011, 12:13 AM

I agree!

Mercen-X
04-16-2011, 07:27 PM
think it's more unique to have a character named after a stellazzio.
Whatever man... fyi, I think Leon comes close enough.

If you pronounce it with the soft th sound rather than the harder "thud" sound, then it works fine.

Aerith for me, I don't mind the way it sounds cause I always felt Aeris sounded just as silly.

I also feel that since her name is meant to be a tie in to the Planet and her ancestry.Agree and agree.

mashowasho
05-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Aeris since that's how it's written in the original game. But I'm not fussy, I switch from time to time.

Loony BoB
05-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Aeris. I really don't like the Aerith version. It doesn't sit right for me. Of course, I dislike her anyway, but at the very least she deserves a half-decent looking name.

Shaibana
05-21-2011, 12:28 PM
The first FF (7) i played was Crisis Core.. so for me its Aerith..

Jiro
05-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Starting with CC is new!

Shaibana
05-23-2011, 11:09 AM
i had psp so i bought Crisis core..
than i got really curious about FF7 :o .. downloaded it for pc, but couldnt get any further than Cosmo Canyon -.-
so i bought it in PSN-store :)

en technicly i am playing it right :P becaus Crisis Core happened before FF7 xD

I Don't Need A Name
05-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Course I tend to be a stickler for accuracy though even I will admit I make some exceptions. :ffvisad: :ffvilaugh: :ffviscorn: :ultros:

So do you call those characters Tina, Macias, Cayenne and Orthros? (I would hope FFVI is in your exceptions, because the original names were horrible xD)

Edit: Duh, course you do, or what would the point be in showing those characters xD
Either way, I refer to her as Aerith these days, just because everything other than our translation of FFVII does

blackmage_nuke
05-23-2011, 01:32 PM
I quite like Orthros

I Don't Need A Name
05-23-2011, 01:45 PM
What about Chupon? I hate him being named Typhon.

Carl the Llama
05-26-2011, 10:24 PM
[TR][TD]Aerith for me, it just looks better, and its the official name, saying Aeris is like saying "this guy are sick" its a simple translation error.

Haha_YouAint
05-29-2011, 11:09 PM
When I try to say Aerith, I feel tongue-tied. Then I start worrying will I stay that way forever. So I say Aeris lol.

Darth Cid
06-01-2011, 10:38 PM
I will weigh in and I say prefer Aerith, even though it was Aeris in my copy. Aerith sounds better in my opinion.

blackmage_nuke
06-01-2011, 10:41 PM
It's pronounced Earisu! [/weeaboo]

Shaibana
06-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Ya but now yr going japanese..
just like Cloud Trife is in Japanese: ´
Kuraudo sutoraifu

they just write it in a weird way :P caus if u say it fast u get the english name

TwilightLord
10-22-2011, 02:03 PM
I call her Aerith Gainsborough. (Yes, I always refer to characters from FF games by their full names. I'm strange like that.) It was always meant to be that anyway - Aeris was purely a translation error, because the katakana "su" in Japanese can substitute for both "s" and "th", since the "th" sound doesn't exist in Japanese. It was supposed to be an anagram of Earth, with an extra i added to make it easier to pronounce - as a sort of opposite to Cloud. Cloud/Earth, you see? And even early drafts of the character called her things like Erith, so it's pretty clear Aerith was intended right from the beginning. FFVII's translation was hardly stellar, and everything else she appears in calls her Aerith, so people saying it's meant to be Aeris kind of annoy me.
Also, it only really sounds stupid if you exaggerate the "th" sound. People say it makes it sound like you have a lisp, but it really doesn't unless you stress it unnaturally.
For the record, it's pronounced "Air-rith". It puzzled me for a while how her name was pronounced, since it's never voice-acted (as far as I know, I haven't played Crisis Core yet) and I initially said it as "Eye-riss" when I first played FFVII.
And there's no Stellazzio called Aeris. I think you might be thinking of Aries, which is pronounced "Air-reez" or "Ah-ree-ess" depending on whether you go by English or Latin pronunciation.

Super Sepiroth
10-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Might sound like a dumb question, but in which versions was she called what name? Am I right in assuming it was "th" in Japanese and then "s" in US and UK?

Jiro
10-22-2011, 03:23 PM
In Kingdom Hearts she was called Aerith. I'm pretty sure in all versions of FF7 she was Aeris except Japan where it would've been...nah I'm not sure what characters form it. Basically though, the last character is ”す” which is notorious for not sounding like it should in basically every word* :p

*Completely unresearched "fact"

MJN SEIFER
10-22-2011, 05:30 PM
I prefer the spelling "Aeris" as opposed to "Aerith" for various reasons;

1. "Aeris" was the spelling I grew up with, so I feel more nostaliga with that spelling.
2. "S" and "th" are very close in Japanese (I don't know specifics) so either way it's the same.
3. To me "Aeris" looks nicer than "Aerith" and suits the character more.
4. I have a problem pronouncing "th" sometimes, so it comes out as "aerifff" when I say it, so it comes out weird.