PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with

Jiro
04-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Long story short; this thread is about idiots.

In my country, we have this sport called football. It's played with a spherical ball and you kick it into a net to win.

About four years ago we had the same sport but it was called soccer. However the governing bodies have realised that this is a stupid name and so rightfully changed it to football.

However, some people in my country are idiots and refuse to call it by its proper name. What should I do with these idiots?

Before I start getting heat from Americans, I would just like to say that whilst I disagree with your terminology, you are still allowed to call it soccer because in your country it is called soccer. You guys aren't idiots, just... different.

PS like I said this thread is about idiots and not football so it belongs in General Chat. An alternative topic is; "What do people incorrectly call things?"

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-06-2011, 07:11 PM
It is not Kleenex, it is tissue paper; cotton swabs, not Q-Tips; acetaminophen, not Tylenol; ibuprofen, not Advil; ASA (acetylsalicylic acid), not Aspirin. Interesting side note: heroin was actually the brand name of diacetylmorphine, though in common vernacular the brand name replaced the medicinal one, like Tylenol, Advil and Aspirin. :D

EDIT: Oh and carbonated beverages? It's called pop not soda. Silly geese.

blackmage_nuke
04-06-2011, 08:21 PM
You forgot: jelly, not jell-o; bandage, not bandaid; photocopy not Xerox

theundeadhero
04-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Jelly and jell-o are two entirely different things. Gelatin, not jell-o.

blackmage_nuke
04-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Jam not jelly, jelly or gelatin not jello

theundeadhero
04-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Get your British ways out of here, we're speaking English!

Peegee
04-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Yes - if you are stupid enough to call soccer football in n. america you are being a huge douche.

Bunny
04-06-2011, 11:28 PM

I was with you until you proved you were wrong. Now I'm questioning everything else.

escobert
04-06-2011, 11:45 PM

NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO

and Soccer sucks :p

Cuchulainn
04-07-2011, 12:27 AM
Slap them. Football's the finest sport on earth, literally nothing comes close, so when other sports want to steal the name it is them that must pay.

kotora
04-07-2011, 01:03 AM
Slap them. Football's the finest sport on earth, literally nothing comes close, so when other sports want to steal the name it is them that must pay.

yeah nothing more awesome than grown men crying like little girls after getting tackled.

NorthernChaosGod
04-07-2011, 02:05 AM
It is not Kleenex, it is tissue paper; cotton swabs, not Q-Tips; acetaminophen, not Tylenol; ibuprofen, not Advil; ASA (acetylsalicylic acid), not Aspirin. Interesting side note: heroin was actually the brand name of diacetylmorphine, though in common vernacular the brand name replaced the medicinal one, like Tylenol, Advil and Aspirin. :D

It's actually tissue; tissue paper is used for presents and :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

And yeah, it's soda or soda pop. Either way it's soda.

G13
04-07-2011, 02:40 AM
STFU I WILL KILL ALL OF YOU WHO TURN THIS INTO A SODAVPOP DEBATE.

I promise I will. :mad2:

Shattered Dreamer
04-07-2011, 04:25 AM
I hate people who mispronounce yogurt!

Jiro
04-07-2011, 04:48 AM
Cuchulainn is a god and blackmage_nuke is not far off that either. The rest of you :nonono:

NorthernChaosGod
04-07-2011, 05:34 AM

u mad?

Jiro
04-07-2011, 05:42 AM
I think he is. Besides

It's soft drink

(or soda)

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-07-2011, 05:57 AM

It's actually tissue; tissue paper is used for presents and :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

And yeah, it's soda or soda pop. Either way it's soda.

They're both tissue papers, the difference lies in their purpose and texture.

Jentleness
04-07-2011, 06:01 AM
The term "soccer" originated in England, so they only have themselves to blame.

Jiro
04-07-2011, 06:19 AM
I am suddenly reminded of a story I was told last week. A friend of mine was in Subway and the guy before him, all suited up and professional, asked for some Japan-a-leenos. He turned to my friend and said, "I've never had them before, and what with that reactor about to go off, I don't know if I'll get another chance".

JAPANALENOS.

qwertysaur
04-07-2011, 06:24 AM
Just trick any idiots into moving that pile of boulders into the cave with the hungry bears are. :bigsmile:

Also Martial arts are better than all your silly sports with balls.

Also also dodgebrick. :bigsmile:

Rostum
04-07-2011, 06:45 AM
It's soft drink

I tried telling a group of Americans this, and they laughed at me and then I was sad. :(

Timekeeper
04-07-2011, 07:21 AM
Ok, you've got:
Association Football (Association -> assoc -> Soccer)
Australian rules football
Gaelic Football
North American Football (Breaks down into Canadian and American Football)
Rugby Football (Breaks down into Rugby League and Rugby Union)

They are all known as Football, as they're all played on foot, rather than sitting on horse playing something like polo :erm:

If you're in the US and you say Football, it means American Football, because that version of playing with balls while on foot is most prominent there.
In England, you'd mean Association Football.
In Australia, I'm sorry to say Jiro, you'd mean Australian rules football, because like it or not, it's the most popular here. Yes, it may differ regionally, but unfortunately Association Football doesn't trump any of the other codes...

As for saying Soccer, instead of Association Football, well it's simply a slang version of Association, so quit your whining!

And don't come at me with that 'people should call it by the name that the governing body of the code assigns it' nonsense, because it's just not popular enough in Australia for it to take the colloquial title of Football.

NorthernChaosGod
04-07-2011, 08:36 AM
I think he is. Besides

It's soft drink

(or soda)
According to Wikipedia soft drink includes things like Vitaminwater which is clearly not a soda.

So no.

G13
04-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Wikipedia is not the best source to cite when trying to prove a point.

But seriously, make a different thread if you want to debate that. It's fine to talk about for the sake of this topic, but quit trying to turn it into a debate. I'm getting a little tired of seeing you derail threads when someone expresses a different opinion than yours.

blackmage_nuke
04-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Soccer is either soccer or football.
Rugby is either rugby or footy.

kotora
04-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Ok, you've got:
Gaelic Football

They are all known as Football, as they're all played on foot, rather than sitting on horse playing something like polo :erm:

It all makes sense now. I never thought it did because in most of these sports you don't actually kick the ball with your foot.

Mo-Nercy
04-07-2011, 01:44 PM
In Australia, I'm sorry to say Jiro, you'd mean Australian rules football, because like it or not, it's the most popular here. Yes, it may differ regionally, but unfortunately Association Football doesn't trump any of the other codes...

Yeah, crowds at soccer games are dropping pretty quickly now. It's a shame, but truth be told, it'd take a lot to convince me to go to a soccer game instead of the footy.

INTERNATIONAL TRANSLATION: Yeah, crowds at Association Football games are dropping pretty quickly now. It's a shame, but truth be told, it'd take a lot to convince me to go to an Association Football game instead of a Rugby League match.

It all makes sense now. I never thought it did because in most of these sports you don't actually kick the ball with your foot.
I know we Australians can be pretty weird, but last time I checked I don't kick the ball with my hand.

There's plenty of kicking in all those codes of football. It's just that some of them use their hands too.

Cuchulainn
04-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Ok, you've got:
Gaelic Football

If you're in the US and you say Football, it means American Football, because that version of playing with balls while on foot is most prominent there.
In England, you'd mean Association Football.

As for saying Soccer, instead of Association Football, well it's simply a slang version of Association, so quit your whining!

And don't come at me with that 'people should call it by the name that the governing body of the code assigns it' nonsense, because it's just not popular enough in Australia for it to take the colloquial title of Football.#

Football is Football. The rest are colonial offshoots of a markedly lower grade.

Unbreakable Will
04-07-2011, 04:49 PM

Just about everyone in Tennessee calls everything 'coke' it's soft drinks you smurfers. Thank god I'm from South Carolina.

Is that a challenge dear Eric? :bigsmile:

It's soft drink

I tried telling a group of Americans this, and they laughed at me and then I was sad. :(
I'm American, and I approve of this message. :colbert:

Also; Damnit Julian quit quoting Wikipedia. Have you no self respect man? ;)

NorthernChaosGod
04-07-2011, 06:12 PM
I can quote the dictionary if you guys would prefer. :bigsmile:

Unbreakable Will
04-07-2011, 06:26 PM
"Go forth and die." Deathklok quote? Goddamn right. :vader:

Rantz
04-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Will once again refer to this indisputable image:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/729269/Images/football-vs-handegg.jpg

Also guys it's LEV-ee-an not lev-I-an.

Bunny
04-07-2011, 07:28 PM
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/tbcx/HandOblateSpheroid.jpg

escobert
04-07-2011, 10:16 PM
OK soccer should be called wimpy kick ball because all I ever see is a bunch of guys rolling on the ground crying because someone tapped them. then they jump up and are ok. If you want to act go to Hollywood and stop playing sports. Even if it is a boring ass crappy one.

Timekeeper
04-08-2011, 01:40 AM
Rantzien! Don't ignore my post :colbert:

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv28/simplyninja/Horseball.png

Jiro
04-08-2011, 04:51 AM
Nick, while your historical "football derives from all games played on foot by :bou::bou::bou::bou: people who didn't play polo on horseback" argument is one I support, this is modern day.

And assoc != soccer. Wtf man whoever invented that is balls insane.

AFL is allowed to be football, but not the football.

The rest of you :bou::bou::bou::bou:s, I swear to god. Cuch I think you need to hold me before I have a break down :( HOW ARE THEY SO WRONG WITHOUT REALISING

EDIT: Bunny and Rantzy seem to be on the right track too. I love you guys :heart:

qwertysaur
04-08-2011, 05:15 AM
Lets settle this with a game of Quittich. :bigsmile:

Timekeeper
04-08-2011, 05:24 AM
Nick, while your historical "football derives from all games played on foot by :bou::bou::bou::bou: people who didn't play polo on horseback" argument is one I support, this is modern day.
People still play games like polo and horseball, so it's still a valid distinction between the two!

Hey! Woah! Hey! How dare you claim that the derivation of slang terms from their original words doesn't make sense. How very dare you! :stare:

Globally, your argument holds, but not regionally. So, yes, I'll give you the point that Association Football is the football of the world, but not of the US or Australia.

Jiro
04-08-2011, 05:35 AM
People still play games like polo and horseball, so it's still a valid distinction between the two!

Yes they do.

Hey! Woah! Hey! How dare you claim that the derivation of slang terms from their original words doesn't make sense. How very dare you! :stare:

I do what I want. You have problem?

Globally, your argument holds, but not regionally. So, yes, I'll give you the point that Association Football is the football of the world, but not of the US or Australia.

The US has always been an exception to this entire argument. However, I don't care what "the football of Australia" is, I'm just saying that football is football, not soccer. It's FIFA, Football Australia and QLD Football. Whether it's "the football of Australia" or not is irrelevant.

I will make my analogy again. If the Pope said "We are no longer Christians, we are Jesusites" would you go "no fuck you I'm a Christian"? No you would listen to the top dog.

This is all light-hearted despite the fact I will destroy you :jess:

Tai-Ti
04-08-2011, 05:38 AM
Everyone I know who follows the sport religiously calls it football.
Everyone else I know calls it soccer.

I honestly don't care just as long I as I know what they're all talking about.

Timekeeper
04-08-2011, 05:48 AM
And don't come at me with that 'people should call it by the name that the governing body of the code assigns it' nonsense, because it's just not popular enough in Australia for it to take the colloquial title of Football.

The US has always been an exception to this entire argument. However, I don't care what "the football of Australia" is, I'm just saying that football is football, not soccer. It's FIFA, Football Australia and QLD Football. Whether it's "the football of Australia" or not is irrelevant.

I will make my analogy again. If the Pope said "We are no longer Christians, we are Jesusites" would you go "no smurf you I'm a Christian"? No you would listen to the top dog.:

:holmes:

Jiro
04-08-2011, 06:02 AM
Nick I don't care if you pre-empted my argument. Not being popular enough doesn't change the fact they are wrong. They aren't calling it soccer as a nickname - they believe whole heartedly that the sport is called that. Perhaps believe isn't the right phrase, let me try again.

They refuse whole heartedly to admit that it is called football because they have some deep set mental problems that fear calling it football would invalidate their preferred code or shrink their penis or something.

Also :holmes: does not an instant win make. The fact of the matter is, these people are wrong and they seem to get some sort of sick sexual satisfaction from it. Although my case study subject was already a bit fucking weird to begin with, so it's probably not 100% accurate :erm:

In closing, football. Also fuck Man U. Good day sirs and ladies.

nik0tine
04-08-2011, 06:31 AM
This debate supports my thesis that sports are dumb.

Bunny
04-08-2011, 06:51 AM
Lets settle this with a game of Quittich. :bigsmile:

Quidditch, you weirdo nutjob.

NorthernChaosGod
04-08-2011, 07:29 AM
The levels of stupid in this thread are shocking.

Or not depending on your view of EoFF.

Timekeeper
04-08-2011, 12:21 PM
They aren't calling it soccer as a nickname - they believe whole heartedly that the sport is called that. Perhaps believe isn't the right phrase, let me try again.

They refuse whole heartedly to admit that it is called football because they have some deep set mental problems that fear calling it football would invalidate their preferred code or shrink their penis or something.

Oh, well that changes things then. I disagree with people who say it isn't football, but not those who say it is soccer.
If you're cool with this, then all is swell :jess:

Mo-Nercy
04-08-2011, 04:05 PM
They aren't calling it soccer as a nickname - they believe whole heartedly that the sport is called that. Perhaps believe isn't the right phrase, let me try again.

Oh, well that changes things then. I disagree with people who say it isn't football, but not those who say it is soccer.
If you're cool with this, then all is swell :jess:

Oh yeah, definitely. I call rugby league football and the other one soccer, but that's just what I call it for the sake of telling the difference between the two. I'm not going to argue that soccer isn't football, because it is. The governing bodies of soccer are absolutely in the right to use the term 'football'.

I hope I'm out of the idiot books now, Jiro. xD

sharkythesharkdogg
04-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Just about everyone in Tennessee calls everything 'coke' it's soft drinks you smurfers. Thank god I'm from South Carolina.

I'm from SC too. There's been plenty of times I've heard someone order a "coke", and with out missing a beat the server will ask, "What kind?"

I think calling any sort of soda a coke is just a southern thing. Just like you know you're in the true south if you order a chilli dog, and you literally get chilli in a hotdog bun. :roll2 Jackasses, where's my hotdog?!?!

kotora
04-08-2011, 06:00 PM

I'm from SC too. There's been plenty of times I've heard someone order a "coke", and with out missing a beat the server will ask, "What kind?"

I think calling any sort of soda a coke is just a southern thing. Just like you know you're in the true south if you order a chilli dog, and you literally get chilli in a hotdog bun. :roll2 Jackasses, where's my hotdog?!?!

try asking for a chili dog in China and you'll be in for a surprise

Dignified Pauper
04-09-2011, 03:20 AM
Patron: I'll take a coke.
Southern Waitress: What kind?
Patron: What?

telephone =/= cellular phone

PC and Microsoft Windows are NOT Interchangeable terms.

Jessweeee♪
04-09-2011, 03:34 AM
Jam and jelly are different though. Jam is easy to spread, and jelly clumps together more.

Patron: I'll take a coke.
Southern Waitress: What kind?
Patron: What?

Even worse is the patron that gets pissed when the waitress actually returns with cocacola.

Jiro
04-09-2011, 03:40 AM
I hope I'm out of the idiot books now, Jiro. xD

You're sweet Mo, it's coo'. :jess:

o_O
04-09-2011, 05:44 AM
Jam, not jelly; jelly, not jello. I agree with blackmage_nuke.

Also:
Football, not soccer
Scones, not biscuits
Subway sub, not subway sandwich
Chicken burger, not chicken sandwich
Toilet, not potty
Soft drink, not coke/soda/pop
Motorway, not freeway/highway
Footpath, not sidewalk/pavement
Lounge, not den
Paracetamol, not tylenol/acetominophen
Bonnet, not hood
Boot, not trunk
AuminIum, not aloominum
Nissan, not NEESAHN
Hyundai, not HUNDAY
Mazda, not MARZDA

;)

rubah
04-09-2011, 05:57 AM
it's pedantic, not nit-picky!

Carl the Llama
04-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Rantzien! Don't ignore my post :colbert:

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv28/simplyninja/Horseball.png

So the message I'm taking away from here is that since American Football is played on foot with a ball its allowed to be called football? by that reasoning the following should be called Football.

Tennis
Golf
Softball
Baseball
Basketball
Rugby
Vollyball
Cricket
Table Tennis
Squash

Thats just off the top of my head, imo American Football should be called American Rugby (or if you live in america then just ordinary rugby).

blackmage_nuke
04-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Lounge, not den

I always thought a den was a study

Bunny
04-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Tennis
Golf
Softball
Baseball
Basketball
Rugby
Vollyball
Cricket
Table Tennis
Squash

1. Played with a net and a racquet
2. Played with a stick
3. Played with a stick
4. Played with a stick
5. Played with hoops
6. Okay
7. Played with a net
8. Nobody cares about Cricket
9. Played with a table and a net
10. Played with a racquet

American football is called football (when in the US) and American football (when not in the US). "European" football is called football (when not in the US), soccer (when in the US), and fútbol (when in a country that calls it fútbol)

Simple?

Yes.

Can this end now because it's stupid.

NorthernChaosGod
04-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Just so the people not from the best country on Earth can shut up for a bit:

A ball is a round, usually spherical but sometimes ovoid, object with various uses

blackmage_nuke
04-09-2011, 10:37 AM
5. Played with hoops

By that logic rugby should be called giant metallic H ball

Hball for short

Jessweeee♪
04-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Basketball was played with baskets with the bottoms cut out. It makes sense!

Jam, not jelly;

But they're two different things!

o_O
04-09-2011, 02:38 PM

Jam, not jelly;

That's what all Americans say! But they're different types of the same thing (jam) in NZ and Australia at least.

Mo-Nercy
04-09-2011, 03:27 PM
By that logic rugby should be called giant metallic H ball

Hball for short
Sounds like a hentai game. xD

So the message I'm taking away from here is that since American Football is played on foot with a ball its allowed to be called football?
Kicking the ball is still a vital part of the game in both codes of rugby, Aussie Rules football and Gaelic football. Less so in gridiron, but it's there too. That's why they can be called football in their respective cultures. Sure, they use their hands to pass, but saying their not football as well more or less gives me the right to call soccer "footheadchestball"

imo American Football should be called American Rugby (or if you live in america then just ordinary rugby).
Actually a good idea since league and gridiron aren't that different from one another.

rubah
04-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Cricket

8. A type of baseball

8D

kotora
04-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Actually a good idea since league and gridiron aren't that different from one another.

yeah and maybe then they can get rid of that stupid armor which only increases the risk of injury because those retards keep headbutting each other with their helmets.

Cuchulainn
04-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Cricket

8. A type of baseball

8D

Actually,

Baseball: An even more boring version of Rounders.

By the way Aussie Rules football is complete :bou::bou::bou::bou:e. It's barely even a game, it's an excuse for bi-curious males to slap eachother.

Jessweeee♪
04-10-2011, 12:48 AM

Jam, not jelly;

That's what all Americans say! But they're different types of the same thing (jam) in NZ and Australia at least.

But if you buy jelly then you have jelly, so it's more correct to call it jelly :confused:

fire_of_avalon
04-10-2011, 01:12 AM

Jam, not jelly;

Jam, not jelly;

But if you buy jelly then you have jelly, so it's more correct to call it jelly :confused:

DON'T EVEN TRY, JESSWEE. We went around and around this for an HOUR.

Cuchulainn
04-10-2011, 03:28 AM
Jam is a fruit or veg preserve that you spread on bread.
Jelly is a gelatin dessert that wobbles & symbolises huge tits on 70s & 80s TV.

Now close this bastard thread.

o_O
04-10-2011, 03:58 AM

Jam, not jelly;

Jam, not jelly;

DON'T EVEN TRY, JESSWEE. We went around and around this for an HOUR.

Srsly. If I buy jelly then I have a wobbly dessert, which I call jelly. If I buy "American jelly" then I have a jar full of a type of jam, so I call it jam! It's not hard to understand!

Jam is a fruit or veg preserve that you spread on bread.
Jelly is a gelatin dessert that wobbles & symbolises huge tits on 70s & 80s TV.

Now close this bastard thread.

Exactly.

Jessweeee♪
04-10-2011, 04:12 AM
But if it's a specific type of jam that is jelly, it would not be incorrect to refer to it as such.

Bunny
04-10-2011, 04:18 AM
This is getting even more ridiculous and stupid than I thought possible.

Cuchulainn
04-10-2011, 04:36 AM
But if it's a specific type of jam that is jelly, it would not be incorrect to refer to it as such.

There is no jam that is jelly. There is Marmalade ( I believe yanks call this type jelly) & Curd. It's mis-named in America along with many many many other things.

Jessweeee♪
04-10-2011, 05:13 AM
Why would anybody name anything edible something like curd? Curd sounds like...a mix of flavorless porridge and mayonnaise rather than something made of berries :barf:

Bunny
04-10-2011, 05:46 AM
What's the true difference between jam and jelly?

I can't jelly my cock down your throat.

Shiny
04-10-2011, 06:17 AM
I can never understand why Americans pronounce herb, "erb". There's an h there!

rubah
04-10-2011, 06:58 AM
Misusing initial Hs is definitely something we inherited from the British. Except we fixed most of it.

(my anthro teacher keeps saying stuff like 'yuman' and it bugs the fuck out of me)

o_O
04-10-2011, 08:48 AM

Jam, not jelly;

kotora
04-10-2011, 10:30 AM
I can never understand why Americans pronounce herb, "erb". There's an h there!

are you sure those aren't mexicans?

Jiro
04-10-2011, 01:48 PM
This is getting even more ridiculous and stupid than I thought possible.

At least it didn't descend into petty insults like I envisioned.

Citizen Bleys
04-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Misusing initial Hs is definitely something we inherited from the British. Except we fixed most of it.

The British pronounce the H in herb. It's the French whose influence causes North Americans (not just Americans) to silence the H in herb.

Shiny
04-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Another reason to hate the Frenc(h).

rubah
04-11-2011, 03:14 AM
You've got to be kidding me, Bleysie. H'ain't you h'ever 'eard those certain h'accents that misuse the h'ache sound?~

Laddy
04-11-2011, 04:58 AM
Soccer > Football. Or rather Football > Man Grappling.

Actually

Man Grappling > Football.

This is pretty hard. :(