PDA

View Full Version : Dynasty Warriors 7: My Benevolent Kingdom of Benevolence. BENEVOLENT!

Psychotic
04-09-2011, 07:29 PM
I figure there's only like three people here who play it because on the whole, EoFF has bad taste in games, (if you are reading this thread, chances are you're an exception to this!) but what the smurf, I'll make a thread anyway 'cause it's cool.

I would firstly like to express utter SHOCK and DISGUST and HEARTBREAK!!! that the Nanman do not have their own campaign. :colbert:

Alright, now that's out of the way, let's get down to brass tacks. Favourite campaign? Weapon set? Character? I just did my first campaign, which as per tradition was Shu (when I first got DW4 I knew nothing about anybody, and chose Guan Yu for his rockin' beard. I stand by that decision) and it was pretty good. I just love the BENEVOLENCE thing. I think it was just awkwardly translated by Koei and they just ran with it.

escobert
04-09-2011, 11:17 PM
This game is one reason why I wish I owned a console :(

Madame Adequate
04-09-2011, 11:31 PM
I really want this game :( When do I get money?

Madonna
04-10-2011, 04:17 AM
I have not played Dynasty Warriors since the, what, third one? Few things beat being a monster of a hero who slays a thousand plus soldiers and single-handedly turns the tide of any battle in which one participates. DO NOT PURSUE LU BU, THEY SET FIRE TO THE SHIPS, ONE GUY IS COMING, et cetera and so forth.

Favorite character, hands down, is Gan Ning because anyone who adds bells to both handicap themselves and inspire extra terror is awesome. Plus, his cheap musou move where he runs through crowds is pretty nice; it is no end-all combo, but it helps you maneuver around.

I do not know what is up with weapons anymore; you can customize the extra buffs they get and they do all sorts of things now, right? Just give me an Elephant Harness so I can rampage through your troops, rape your gates, and murder your officers.

Bunny
04-10-2011, 04:20 AM
Dynasty Warriors is the Madden of slash-and-hack games.

Jiro
04-10-2011, 07:24 AM
I fucking love Dynasty Warriors. I'll have to pick this one up and become the nightmare once more.

Mo-Nercy
04-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Doesn't come out in Australia for a few more days, unfortunately. But I'm super excited to get my hands on it. The new characters all look great and though I didn't have anything against the battle system in 6, I think 7's return to basic controls of 2-5 is awesome.

I envisage myself using Zhou Yu a lot. He's always been my favourite character from the ROTK stories, but the a few of the Jin characters seem interesting like Deng Ai and Zhong Hui. I can pretty much say for sure though that I will not be a fan of Ma Dai. Seriously? A paintbrush?

Psychotic
04-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Yeah I had a go with Zhou Yu earlier, he's not half bad. Although they've made him even more of a pretty boy for his character design.
Just give me an Elephant Harness so I can rampage through your troops, rape your gates, and murder your officersSeriously!

edit: actually I want any sexual intercourse I have with a gate to be consentual.

edit 2: just got 9999 kills with Zhou Yu on Chi Bi. Christ, they won't stop coming.

Hollycat
04-10-2011, 10:13 PM
If they stick with the 6 system, Im not buying, if they switch to the WO2 system and characters, all engines are go

Jiro
04-11-2011, 04:02 AM
Warriors Orochi includes the Samurai Warriors characters. You're not going to see any of those show up in China

Hollycat
04-11-2011, 04:04 AM
I know, but it had a better character leveling system and battle system

Mo-Nercy
04-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Sun Wukong was an epic character. xD

HC, 6's experiment is out. Fighting will return to the "press Square x-amount of times before Triangle to make Triangle do something different" system.

I never really had much beef with 6 though. I liked the idea of getting rid of arrows and putting in a dodge roll. No one ever used their bow and arrow in DW2-5 other than for a laugh anyway (unless you had Ice Arrows equipped in 5 - freeze Lu Bu against a wall, Gan Ning musou him for a one-button kill). I liked the addition of a skill tree. I liked the one-on-one duels that popped up from time to time and how they seamlessly flowed into them from normal battle instead of 4's "teleport to a mini arena". Also - horsies! I liked the variety to the horses and how they could have different abilities and weren't just good if they were one colour and bad if they were another.

Hollycat
04-11-2011, 03:54 PM
What I hated about 6 was the limited number of characters, the long leveling up time, and the indirect story mode. I want all the DW characters and a real story mode. I liked the horse thing. I also hope they have the meld weapons, that was cool. Oh, and bring back items

Jiro
04-11-2011, 06:08 PM
I played 6 but I don't remember much about it except it was fun. If what Mo says is true, Dynasty Warriors will still be awesome but I might be a bit disappointed.

Still, who is gonna say no to BENEVOLENCE?

Hollycat
04-11-2011, 06:12 PM
MOAR LU BU!

Psychotic
04-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Still, who is gonna say no to BENEVOLENCE?Cao Cao. Sun Quan.

Also the general consensus I have heard is that DW7 is a huge improvement on DW6. And I am loving it so far, so make of that what you will.

Jiro
04-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Sounds like it's a pretty sweet game. Looks like I'm forgoing lunch for the next week so I can afford this little gem :D

Madame Adequate
04-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Yeah everything I've heard about it is that it's way better than 6, and possibly even better than 3.

Edit: Jesus Christ Jiro how much do you spend on lunch?

Jiro
04-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Yeah everything I've heard about it is that it's way better than 6, and possibly even better than 3.

Edit: Jesus Christ Jiro how much do you spend on lunch?

You have no smurfing idea how overpriced my university is. You want a pie? $4 mothersmurfer. You want a smurfing potato scallop? $1 each mothersmurfer. When you're there for like 14 hours, you have to give in to this ridiculous :bou::bou::bou::bou: and buy coffee and food multiple times.

EDIT: On topic posts c'mon get your :bou::bou::bou::bou: together Jiro. Is there any "create your own dude" mode like the Samurai Warrior series tried to implement? I thought it was interesting, but not necessary a positive step.

Psychotic
04-11-2011, 07:21 PM
I just beat the initial three kingdoms' campaigns and unlocked the Jin one. I do like what they've done, it gives you a much better overview of... the strategic side of it all? And there's some good character development. It's just that a lot of the characters don't even get used, and I don't know if I like that. I can see now why there's no Yuan Shao/Dong Zhuo/Lu Bu/Nanman/Yellow Turban campaign, as they're keeping it accurate (ie, if your side lost that battle in history, it's gonna lose it in this) so I don't mind too much.

I also do like that they've added Jin as a fourth force. I'm glad that the badassery of Wei through the likes of Xiahou Dun and Zhang Liao has been split off from the utter ponce that is Sima Yi.

Jiro
04-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Xiahou Dun will forever remain my number one man. I am salivating just thinking about him.

Psychotic
04-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Don't ruin him. Can't you go and like Zhang He instead? :colbert:

Hollycat
04-11-2011, 07:56 PM
LUBULUBULUBULUBU!

Madame Adequate
04-12-2011, 02:02 AM
Jiro I am sorry I think you are a wonderful man but you are much too Austroponceus to have a man who ate his own eyeball

Psychotic
04-12-2011, 02:02 AM
YouTube - Dynasty Warriors 7 OST: Disc 2 - 12. Male Roar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNzD86QjVUo)

As always, the soundtrack is smurfing epic. Just wait 'til it hits like 1:41. Really gets you fired up.

NeoCracker
04-12-2011, 02:53 AM
THe big question is this, can you play as more then five smurfing people from each country? I loved the mass number of Campaigns playable in 5, and the sudden drop of that number in 6 saddened my soul. :(

Also, I love mw DW 5 T-shirt. :love:

Edit: Also, ZHang Liao for life!

Jiro
04-12-2011, 03:46 AM
Don't ruin him. Can't you go and like Zhang He instead? :colbert:

Ruin him? That man cannot be ruined. He is perfection.

Psychotic
04-12-2011, 03:55 AM
Ruin him? That man cannot be ruined. He is perfection.I take comfort in the fact that if the real Xiahou Dun saw you, he would look you up and down with his eye, then take your head clean off.

Also I am kinda eh about the Jin campaign. I was excited at first because it's a whole new kingdom, and whole new characters! The problem is that pretty much every single one of them is a complete knobend. While they're overpowered (even by DW standards) and fun to play as, they're just eh. And the campaign itself is just:

Step 1: Rebellion in the East. Supported by Wu!
Step 2: Jiang Wei and his wacky Shu gang invade yet again!
Step 3: Shenanigans in the capital.
Step 4: Go to Step 1.

Shu used to be my favourite kingdom, but late-Shu is filled with ugh. Once the three brothers and Zhuge Liang are gone, it all goes downhill.

Madame Adequate
04-12-2011, 05:22 AM
Wu are the best later faction by a long way. Most of their best people don't show up until half the cast is dead.

Also if you play Romance of the Three Kingdoms (Or read the actual novel I guess) you'll see what a bunch of pricks Shu actually were. Zhuge Liang's deathbed wish was to have Wei Yan killed, basically for no reason other than "I don't like that prick".

PR man, it's all about PR.

Mo-Nercy
04-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Also if you play Romance of the Three Kingdoms (Or read the actual novel I guess) you'll see what a bunch of pricks Shu actually were. Zhuge Liang's deathbed wish was to have Wei Yan killed, basically for no reason other than "I don't like that prick".
He knocked over his smurfin' light lantern that he was praying to for another cycle of the zodiac's worth of life (12 years). That and the whole traitor thing was the justification for it.

Of course, neither of the those events actually happened in history. Zhuge Liang didn't try to magic his way out of death and Wei Yan was loyal to Shu right up till the end.

And yes, late-Shu characters don't look fun to play as. I took one look at Liu Chan and knew I wasn't going to like him.

Hollycat
04-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Wu are the best later faction by a long way. Most of their best people don't show up until half the cast is dead.

PR man, it's all about PR.

Thats not really what happened, thats just a novel. In real life, Sun Jian, and later Sun Quan (who was only ten when all this stuff happened) Were real greedy dicks who just wished for power. Lie Bei wished for peace but had no way to actually implementit. Cao Cao was a righteous man who knew how to attain peace and was going to step down from the throne after doing so. Sima Yi is just a prick.

Mo-Nercy
04-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Thats not really what happened, thats just a novel. In real life, Sun Jian, and later Sun Quan (who was only ten when all this stuff happened) Were real greedy dicks who just wished for power. Lie Bei wished for peace but had no way to actually implementit. Cao Cao was a righteous man who knew how to attain peace and was going to step down from the throne after doing so. Sima Yi is just a prick.
That's also pretty debatable. The argument can be made that Sun family rightfully claimed hegemony in the south. Sun Quan was made King of Wu by Cao Cao (via a petition to the emperor he controlled) and it could be argued that he was in fact being loyal to the Han in accepting it. By the same token, since Sun Quan was the last of the three major powerbrokers to declare himself Emperor, you could say he was a loyal retainer to the Han court for the longest time.

The whole story of Liu Bei is totally exaggerated anyway. The novels and the generations of folk tales have all painted him to be a ultimate virtuous leader, when realistically speaking, Cao Cao had pretty much sealed the deal by beating Yuan Shao. From that point on, he controlled the Emperor through the newly revived role of Prime Minister, he had the largest army and the controlled the part of Central China that at the time was recognised as the centre of the empire - the northern plains. Chi Bi, his own untimely death and the Simi family's overthrowing of the Cao clan were the only real setbacks in unification (pretty major ones, I'd admit. 60 years worth of setback). If he'd won at Chi Bi, the story would've ended right there.

I agree with you on the fact that Cao Cao probably wasn't the evil douche the novel makes him out to be. He actually never ascended the imperial throne. It was Cao Pi who did the actual overthrowing. It's unknown as to whether Cao Cao ever would have established himself as Emperor had he lived longer. It's unfortunate for him that his name is linked in with this concept of injustice and evil, because it was all due to him that the instable times of the Yellow Turbans, Dong Zhuo, Li Jue and Guo Si were ended.

Psychotic
04-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Yeah, Cao Cao wasn't a bad guy at all. Cao Cao - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cao_Cao#Contributions) bless him and his lovely poetic heart :love:

We all know RotK is an exaggeration designed to make Liu Bei and Shu look good. I like early Shu, they were the real underdog and I am a sucker for the underdog. It's just a shame that they fell away into madness of repeatedly launching campaigns against Wei in the north in later years.

Still, RotK is canon for DW. I have no idea what the people IRL were like, and never will, so I judge the characters based on, well, the characters. I keep in the back of my mind that they were nothing like that, sure, but it's all fun and games.

edit: the final FMV ending is fucking awesome. :)

Freya
04-13-2011, 03:02 AM
I have a dilemma. I love the Dynasty Warriors games. My brother loves these games. In about a week I'll drive to Wyoming to visit him. I told him I would buy him this game when there. I want it as well though. SOOOOO..... Do I buy two copies o.o IS IT THAT GOOD? I mean, sell me this game guys.

Jiro
04-13-2011, 06:11 AM
You sell me this game. You're the one that works at Gamestop!

Mo-Nercy
04-13-2011, 08:45 AM
I have a dilemma. I love the Dynasty Warriors games. My brother loves these games. In about a week I'll drive to Wyoming to visit him. I told him I would buy him this game when there. I want it as well though. SOOOOO..... Do I buy two copies o.o IS IT THAT GOOD? I mean, sell me this game guys.

Honestly speaking. The series as a whole is not great. I can't speak for 7 since I haven't played it but all the others fall into the category of being a good but not great game. It's good for what it is, a mindless hack and slasher with a cheesy story lightly inspired by "real", "historical" events. It hasn't the changed the face of gaming, but it's great for when you just want to kill thousands of enemies without having to think too hard.

Psychotic
04-13-2011, 11:59 AM
I have a dilemma. I love the Dynasty Warriors games. My brother loves these games. In about a week I'll drive to Wyoming to visit him. I told him I would buy him this game when there. I want it as well though. SOOOOO..... Do I buy two copies o.o IS IT THAT GOOD? I mean, sell me this game guys.you can ride bears like you would a horse

Freya
04-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Mo-nercy you made me not want it.

BUT

you can ride bears like you would a horse

Thats makes me wants its. Badly. :love:

Jiro
04-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Mo-Nercy is Australian.

I'll let you decide what that means :p

Psychotic
04-13-2011, 09:55 PM
I do like Conquest mode. A lot of the battles are just purely random but each character has their own Legendary Battles that they didn't get to do in story mode. eg Xiahou Dun finding Dian Wei fighting tigers, the two Qiaos, or Xiahou Ba fighting for Shu. But then you also have some silly fictional ones too. You ate my precious meat bun you thief.

A good example is Sima Yi, actually. His first Legendary Battle is Wu Zhang, and his second is some crazy brawl between everyone called Sima and everyone called Zhuge (including the relatives of Zhuge Liang that served Wu and Jin)

Heath
04-16-2011, 10:05 PM
This game is one reason why I wish I owned a console :(

Psychotic
05-05-2011, 04:27 PM
re: thread title

YouTube - Dynasty Warriors 7 - Shu's BENEVOLENCE! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G_DB-WhbR4)

Mo-Nercy
05-07-2011, 02:01 PM
My girlfriend and I are regretting not going forth with our idea to play a drinking game along with story mode where you take a shot whenever someone says 'benevolence' in the Shu story, 'ambition' in the Wei story and 'Sun family' in the Wu story.

I'm also pretty bummed about the lack of Free Mode now. Initially, I thought it didn't really matter, but now that Story Mode is out of the way and Conquest Mode is just about done, I'd like to do what I did with the other installments and just max out all the characters on epic, fun stages like Wu Zhang Plains or He Fei Castle.

Double also - the gun is an awesome weapon.