PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated FF game

Wolf Kanno
04-10-2011, 12:02 AM
It's been awhile since we had one of these. Which FF game do you believe gets too much undeserved love and praise?

VeloZer0
04-10-2011, 02:07 AM
You are on a roll with the thread creation WK.

I think each game is overrated in it's own way. I'll run down a few and my thoughts.

FF7
The first game everyone's mind jumps to when someone mentions 'overrated' and 'final fantasy', either to label it or defend it. While there is no denying it has it's extreme fans I think that at this point the hate on it for being overrated is greater than the actual overrating itself. Personaly I don't think FF7 was anything more than FF6 with better graphics, but I think the 2D->3D leap was significant enough that this made a profound difference in the overall package. And even though the game wasn't the miracle title it is sometimes made out to be you are a fool to discount the profound effect it made on the JRPG, and to lesser extent gaming, landscape.

FF9
One of the worst offenders on my list. FF9 is an excellent game. However it seems like people's disdain for FF7&8 has led them to over inflate FF9s worth to compensate. In particular I feel this game has some major problems with pacing, and everyone who is a fan of it has managed to convince themselves that there is nothing wrong with the battles. I don't have a problem with them in the least, but I don't see how they could appeal to anyone who wasn't determined to like the game from the outset.

FF12
I feel this game is both overrated and fairly rated. What I mean is, I feel the game is overrated by the people who like it. However it is a fairly divisive entry, with a large counterbalancing negative opinion. If you average the two out it comes out fairly fair.

My personal opinion is they did an outstanding job putting a game together built around poor game design and plot decisions. The overall game experience being decent, but I will viciously rip apart just about every part of it when analysed.

EDIT:

FF13
This is more a reaction to critical response than fan response. A whole bunch of review sites gave this game extremely high scores, whereas others decided to give it ridiculously low scores. It seems like game reviewers were scared to give this game a less than superb score because it was a major release, and if they disliked it strongly enough to buck the trend they felt they needed to give it a score intended to shock instead of evaluate. So I think this game isn't getting a fair shake either way, but this thread is about the over-rating part.

Jessweeee♪
04-10-2011, 03:08 AM
FF13
This is more a reaction to critical response than fan response. A whole bunch of review sites gave this game extremely high scores, whereas others decided to give it ridiculously low scores. It seems like game reviewers were scared to give this game a less than superb score because it was a major release, and if they disliked it strongly enough to buck the trend they felt they needed to give it a score intended to shock instead of evaluate. So I think this game isn't getting a fair shake either way, but this thread is about the over-rating part.

I definitely agree with you here. Personally I love FFXIII so I gush on and on about how much I love it and how awesome it is, but whether I say so or not, I do see that while it's a good game, it's not for everyone.

Jiro
04-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Velo's thoughts on IX are pretty valid actually.

I still think VII is the most widely overrated game but people like it for a reason. Nostalgia now, mostly.

cloud_doll
04-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Yeah, even though I love FF7 it's overrated, mostly in Japan. Why on Earth they decided it was worth making so many spin-offs and sequels is beyond me. Well, more than the norm anyway.
Personally I think FF10 is overrated. The story was whatever, the gameplay was soo whack, and the characters were all fruity. I'm too tired to think up good reasons.

WhiteStorm
04-10-2011, 11:35 PM
VII and IX definitely. Okay, I admit they're both good games, but I don't see why people go overboard with praises of them.

I do understand why Square did so many sequels, spin offs and movies about VII, after all, they just gave fanboys what they wanted and, of course, had their eyes on the money.

sharkythesharkdogg
04-11-2011, 01:18 AM
Tactics.

It's a great game, but it's like all "hardcore gamerz" hail it and wear it as a badge of pride that they ever played the game. It's not the end all be all people, it's just a solid 3/4 over game. It's one of those cult classics that gets built up way too much.

I'm guilty of doing the same thing with Xenogears, if I'm honest with myself.

Wolf Kanno
04-11-2011, 04:57 AM
Xenogears is epic, its not nostalgia, its remnants of awesomness left behind after playing. :cool:

VeloZer0
04-11-2011, 05:48 AM
It was epic, but my second disk was all scratched up or something. Really ruined the gameplay experience I had been having up until that point. :p

Wolf Kanno
04-11-2011, 06:25 AM
You were just too overwhelmed by its awesomness. :cool:

Besides, if you were an EVA fan like I was back in the day, you should have loved the second disc. :P

Darkwolf090
04-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Back to the topic at hand shall we?
VII is a great game and overrated yes, however every single Final Fantasy is Over rated in its own way... well ok maybe not FF1 but thats a grind fest of a game (And I loved it) ... anyway it really is going to boil down to who you are talking to.
For me VII is overrated now I say this even though it was my first Final Fantasy and I love the game and the battle system was great! However it has alot more hype then it earned over the years cuz of the fanboys.
Hell even VI is overrated in its own way (I feel like I am going to die for saying that here) and even IV is overrated and that is my favorite of all time by far.
Sure this is a topic of what one we think is the most overrated and I am looking forward to seeing everyones answers so ill say up front what I think is the most overrated and then i will nit pick at all the other games of what i think is overrated about them.
VII is the most overrated cuz of the fanboys, good game, decent story, not the best game ever like most want me to believe.

IV i think in its own right is overrated, more so if by SE then anyone, as I do believe it has more remakes then any other FF now (I own them all too...) The story all be it good has alot of lacking elements imo.

VI is a great game i am saying that now so some people I know wont drive to my house and stab me in the night dressed up like Kefka... *Cough* WolfKanno *Cough* While it is a great game it suffers from the same thing that all great games do, Fanboys, now I am a very picky person so feel free to disagree with me but I think the Story is lacking in this one on some elements as well, now i cant say much more about it sure but it sure the heck is not the best game of all time imo just like 7 isnt.

VIII another great game but overrated, I feel the battle system is half assed in this one... cuz well it is... also the story near the end just makes me want to stab something cute....

IX was hit hard by 7 and 8 fanboys for not being as good imo really, that said they just dont know how to deal with a medieval FF if they only play 7 and 8, however the way you learn abilities was crap imo and some of the chars where lacking.

X .... well really the story was the biggest hit on this one, chopping writing imo.

XII Im not even going to start on this one but that is a personal reason that I do not wish to spend time on this game, good game to some, but not to me.

XIII Story...

Now like I said I am picky and I to nit pick at flaws but in a argument with a fanboy that thinks something is perfect, flaws are what you have to point out thus I feel that they are the argument to overrated as well, now I did say story in alot of those but mainly just some of the elements of the story, now then I think I have gone on long enough.

Jiro
04-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Bagging out VI is a pretty ballsy move :p

Flying Arrow
04-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Everyone finds things to like about each game, so I can't really fault anyone for enjoying a game because of something that makes it unique among the other titles. I have a soft-spot for FF8 because of its setting and the story it tried to tell. It was really different, and I still am a bit resentful of IX for giving us a setting more in tune with the older games. Different games have different things about them that are good, and they should all be appreciated for what they do well.

That said, I do smurfing hate fanboys, though, and VII has the worst. The VII fanbase is a stupid hype machine on par with the best (or worst) publishers hyping their products today. They drastically blow out of proportion everything that FFVII did. The worst part is that the entire terrible Compilation has resulted from this. VII was one of my favourite video games I've ever played (and still is), but even I can't help groaning every time I hear its name mentioned.

One game I'm clueless as to why it has fans is X. The game does a couple things well, but everything else I find so agonizing that I'm stunned that others can put up with it, or even enjoy it. Its worst crime, for me, is that it's the first FF game that felt small to me. I wasn't particularly huge on the world design and pacing of either VIII or IX, but X was just missing so much that made the previous games enjoyable - the simple task of moving through the game world is simply holding up on the joystick until the next cutscene. No looking around, very little exploration, and a general sense that - about a few hours in - you've already seen everything the game is going to throw at you. Sure, playing through the earlier games a zillion times made those feel small to me too, but that was because of familiarity. By the time I got to Mushroom Rock Road the first time I played X, I nearly stopped because I was so underwhelmed. I can see newcomers enjoying X, but fans of the previous games? I guess it all depends on what exactly it was they liked about the previous games. For me, I found very little of what I was looking for in X.

Also voice acting. I wish it had never been introduced to the series. :cry:

Depression Moon
04-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Wait a minute IX overrated. Outside of here I hardly ever hear the game mentioned. Whenever I read a game magazine, read a website article, or watch a video if they mention an FF game that's passed its always VII, then VII, VII, I, VII, VII, I, I, VI, X, VI, VII. It's like the others don't exist.

Also about IX I don't think disliking VII or VIII has anything to do with it. I loved it before I played VII and after I played VII.

black orb
04-11-2011, 10:46 PM
>>> Hard to say. FF13 is the worst but is not overrated because we all realize that the game sucks already..:luca:

I think the most overrated is FF6. Dont get me wrong, FF6 is a good FF game but it doesnt deserve all the praise and fanboyism it gets.

The most underrated is FF2 obviously..

Jessweeee♪
04-12-2011, 01:16 AM
Bagging out VI is a pretty ballsy move :p

Yes. FFVI is my personal pick for most overrated, because it's the only game that I feel hesitant to give my honest opinion of due to the love for it xD

Wolf Kanno
04-12-2011, 05:47 AM
There are quite a few in the series to be honest.

IV: I love the game and I will always have a soft spot for it but dear god Japanese fans, let it go. Its also a game where I feel gameplay wise, it was sandwiched between two superior titles in that regard.

FFVI: Yes, its probably my favorite entry but yeah, fanboys have sort of ruined part of the allure of this game and I've done my years of defending it and praising it only to realize, it really doesn't matter. I love Kefka and Terra and everything, but its not like their wasn't engaging and interesting characters before the game was released, nor is it not like better games didn't come after it.

FFVII: Same as VI except add something about style over substance and graphics, the more derogatory, probably the better.

FFX: Once again, I hate the Japanese fans for settling for one of the weakest entries in the series, and thus making sure I will never be able to forget it whenever SE feels the need to cater to fans, Flying Arrow pretty much said my sentiment about it being a very underwhelming experience compared to the previous entries. Though I will also add that this extends to its story and cast as well. After something like Tactics, VI-IX, Xenogears, Suikoden, BoF, and Wild Arms, FFX's plot just felt like a poorly written rejected anime script that just happened to have a few well written moments that had more to do with being an accident than intentional. It did little to change Final Fantasy (except make VA the norm and that's is debatably a good or bad thing) let alone the RPG genre. It settled for less at a time when it really should have tried to shoot for the stars.

FFTactics is another game that is overrated. While I've personally never played a game I felt had its level of caliber. Part of me also doesn't feel right about using it as a prime template for how it should be done. Tactics was not a perfect game, and I'll admit its fans are just as elitist and pains in the ass just like VI, VII, or Xenogears fanboys are. :p

Flying Arrow
04-12-2011, 08:16 AM
^ Wait, so all the games are over-rated? It sounds like you're just burnt out on the fanbase, Wolf. Don't let your mind get changed by the fanboys. They are poison and must be eliminated. Though I've never really noticed the VI fanbase being particularly obnoxious. Stuck-up and elitist, yeah, but not really obnoxious.

And to completely contradict what I just said, I feel like I also need to give some props to FFIX's plot for being over-rated. It's great at the beginning and utter trash by the end. Fans like it because the final twists are pure fan-service and shout outs to the 2D games. That's cute and all, but I find it's still pretty dumb. And dumb is just dumb no matter how you slice it.

sharkythesharkdogg
04-15-2011, 04:22 AM
I'm just glad I'm not the only one who thinks people think a little too highly of Tactics.

I also agree 6 is too overrated. I just didn't want to add a kick to the testicles along with the throat punch that was my first post.

I think it has to do with the fact that they are so good. Both games are excellent. To me, it goes back to what I said about Xenogears. There are certain games (Xenogears, Chronotrigger, Final Fantasy Tactics or 6, Earthbound, Zelda: Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time, Secret of Mana, Suikoden II for some examples) that achieve this legendary status because they are really well made, genre shaping games. It's just that the hype builds them up to be even more than they are.

I think they're great games, but they can't live up to the insane levels of hype.

The Man
04-15-2011, 05:27 AM
FFIX has a ton of fans on this board, but I literally cannot think of anywhere else where there are as many FFIX fans as there are here. So I wouldn't really say it's overrated overall, although it might be somewhat overrated here.

Anyway I'm not sure if I can objectively evaluate which game is the most overrated, but FFVII has definitely had the most annoying fanboys for quite some time.

Lamia
04-15-2011, 06:35 AM
Underrated = FFV and FFXII

Both are excellent games and tragically underrated. Final Fantasy XIII is a brilliant game with an incredibly interesting, varied, and beautiful game world. It has more end game content than any FF game.

Final Fantasy V is a huge improvement on IV imo. The game is epic, and has an excellent job class system.

Overrated... is Final Fantasy IV. There was serious balancing issues in the game. On the moon for instance, an enemy would hit one of your characters for 200 hp, and then the next turn, hit your character for 1000+ hp and KO your character even though your character had max health. lol FFIV has its charms, but it is overrated imo.

Flying Arrow
04-15-2011, 04:01 PM
Underrated = FFV and FFXII

Hell smurfing yes.

FFIX has a ton of fans on this board, but I literally cannot think of anywhere else where there are as many FFIX fans as there are here.

I've noticed this, too, especially back when I first joined up. FFIX is a fine game and it has its fans elsewhere, but it wasn't until I really started getting involved here that I noticed that most of the more vocal posters were huge fans of IX, and that IX has quite a significant following. Most polls (including the census) give VII most of the votes, but sometimes I feel like it's just something people throw down. IX easily gets the most love here (love that isn't undermined by an equal amount of hate, like VII) and I have to admit it's rubbed off on me. After I finish my playthrough of Fallout 1 I was considering finding a way to play IX and make some kind of modest Let's Play thread about it.

silentenigma
04-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Final Fantasy X anyone?

and FFIV to an extent...

Wolf Kanno
04-16-2011, 03:52 AM
^ Wait, so all the games are over-rated? It sounds like you're just burnt out on the fanbase, Wolf. Don't let your mind get changed by the fanboys. They are poison and must be eliminated. Though I've never really noticed the VI fanbase being particularly obnoxious. Stuck-up and elitist, yeah, but not really obnoxious.

And to completely contradict what I just said, I feel like I also need to give some props to FFIX's plot for being over-rated. It's great at the beginning and utter trash by the end. Fans like it because the final twists are pure fan-service and shout outs to the 2D games. That's cute and all, but I find it's still pretty dumb. And dumb is just dumb no matter how you slice it.

I feel that fanboys are the main problem that make a game feel overrated often times. I feel sharkythesharkdogg placed my sentiments best. Its not that any of these games are bad (Except for FFX, that game just sucks) but fans and news media have over-hyped everything to the point where we lose sight of the fact they are just great games and instead we feel the need to justify them as ancient relics of greatness.

Jiro
04-17-2011, 01:54 AM
Its not that any of these games are bad (Except for FFX, that game just sucks)

:greenie:

Bolivar
04-20-2011, 02:20 AM
Oh man... I can't believe I've seen some people suggest FFT is overrated. I agree in part because I do feel like the "strategy" comes down to spamming your cheap and overpowered moves before the enemy spams their cheap and overpowered moves, but outside of that the game is a smurfing masterpiece and and one of the most beautiful games ever made. I think beating it is indeed an accomplishment because there's some hard and just plain unfair things in the game, so I will continue to wear it like a badge of honor even if it's not necessarily the best SRPG of all time.

I'll always say FFVI because my idea of overrating something is when it gets praise that simply can't be qualified. Before I played the game all I heard about was how great the characters are, how insane the villain is, but the truth of the matter is, except for being sprites, they hardly qualify as "characters" at all. It certainly pushed some of those big moments on gamers and gets points for being perhaps the only non-linear Final Fantasy, but it's story isn't noticeably better than IV or V (<-- underrated) IMO.

Someone once had "saying FFVII is overrated is overrated" somewhere in their profile and it's true - people need to give it a rest. Yes, some people still swear by it as being such a milestone in gaming and that's because it smurfing was. All of the big hollywood set pieces that the billion dollar games of today try to live up to started with VII and even the biggest budget games have trouble emulating the seamless transition from cutscene to gameplay that made VII have such a big impact. YES its story and characters haven't aged well, in many ways they're just as paper-thin as FFVI and I'll be the first to admit it. But get over it - it'll always be venerated because of the tremendous impact it had on gamers and on gaming, even if they can't justify why the specific parts are good.

And FFX is the ish.

Wolf Kanno
04-20-2011, 04:00 AM
Someone once had "saying FFVII is overrated is overrated" somewhere in their profile and it's true - people need to give it a rest. Yes, some people still swear by it as being such a milestone in gaming and that's because it smurfing was. All of the big hollywood set pieces that the billion dollar games of today try to live up to started with VII and even the biggest budget games have trouble emulating the seamless transition from cutscene to gameplay that made VII have such a big impact. YES its story and characters haven't aged well, in many ways they're just as paper-thin as FFVI and I'll be the first to admit it. But get over it - it'll always be venerated because of the tremendous impact it had on gamers and on gaming, even if they can't justify why the specific parts are good.

No, VII is just overrated and you're in denial. :p

Besides...
http://imaletyoufinish.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/kanye-kefka.jpg

andof course this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_yFZZdYrVw)

And FFX is the ish.

I don't know what "ish" is, if its a Finnish word for piece of :bou::bou::bou::bou: that I wouldn't let flies near cause it is so heinous, then I totally agree. ;)

The Man
04-20-2011, 05:38 AM
I'll always say FFVI because my idea of overrating something is when it gets praise that simply can't be qualified. Before I played the game all I heard about was how great the characters are, how insane the villain is, but the truth of the matter is, except for being sprites, they hardly qualify as "characters" at all.Seriously? Did we play the same game? Granted I agree the plots of FFV and IV are awesome and V is definitely underrated but most of the characters FFVI focused on got incredibly detailed and realistic development. Granted there are a few such as Mog, Gogo, and Umaro who are mostly in there for :bou::bou::bou::bou:s and giggles, but it's not like Cait Sith was any more serious. (Granted, Reeve was serious).

Darkwolf090
04-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Anyone noticed after i said FFVI several other people started to do so? feels like people are afraid to list it out of fear of death or something!
Anyway I kid
I agree with Tactics, I didnt list it in my first post but I do agree, I love the game and I am more then likely guilty of overrating it myself, also i never said people hate FFIX cuz of hate of VII or VIII, what i said was that people dislike IX alot imo cuz VII and VIII was a future fantasy and such while IX went back to medieval thus i think the conflict comes from that.

Loony BoB
04-20-2011, 01:19 PM
It's hard to say, really. If people rate it, it's because they rate it, so I can't say they're overrating it. It's all personal preference. Alternatively, if you mean that if people in general rate something that I don't rate, then it's probably FFX. I can see how people can like parts of the game but for me the characters ruined it too much - both good guys and bad guys.

But yeah, I've yet to finish IX and VI so I can't comment on those two also-highly-rated games. I rate VII as one of the best games I've played, personally, so it's hard for me to view it as an overrated game. I know others do, but that's their preference compared to mine, what can you do?

Elpizo
04-20-2011, 01:31 PM
VI is the most overrated by far. So far it ain't even funny. With VII you could maybe argue how it revolutionized the genre and all, but VI's just an average 2D RPG of which there are many of similar quality, and aside for debately the first half of the story, is outclassed in pretty much everything but graphics by its direct predecesor V (and let me add more salt to the wound by saying I prefer V's graphics over VI's. At least V knew what colour was). It makes my blood boil everytime I see anyone kiss up all over VI and then say something like all games before it were just building up to the majesty of VI. Tell you what, III, IV and V hand VI its overrated cartridge any day. :)

Slothy
04-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Seriously? Did we play the same game? Granted I agree the plots of FFV and IV are awesome and V is definitely underrated but most of the characters FFVI focused on got incredibly detailed and realistic development. Granted there are a few such as Mog, Gogo, and Umaro who are mostly in there for :bou::bou::bou::bou:s and giggles, but it's not like Cait Sith was any more serious. (Granted, Reeve was serious).

Have to agree with you. The character development present in FFVI was not only believable, but some of the most in depth of any RPG at the time, especially considering the limitations of the cartridge storage media at the time. That level of focus on and development of the characters, their backstory and motivations simply didn't happen back then. I'd even argue that because of the limitations in storage space, there was a sharper focus on saying what needed to be said about the characters without dragging everything out longer than it needed to be which actually makes the development of those characters stronger in my eyes.

feels like people are afraid to list it out of fear of death or something!

I did threaten those who didn't vote Kefka best villain in the census thread. Just saying.

PS: Everyone make sure you check out the census results. If you think I'll kill you for not voting Kefka, you really don't want to know what I'll do if you don't read and enjoy the results. Thor's watching you.

Also, FFXIII is overrated. Why? Because some people actually found some small amount of enjoyment in it. I won't rest until those people are as filled with bile and hatred at the mere mention of the game as I am. :D

Loony BoB
04-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Also, FFXIII is overrated. Why? Because some people actually found some small amount of enjoyment in it. I won't rest until those people are as filled with bile and hatred at the mere mention of the game as I am. :D
Prepare to lose a lot of sleep. :aimsun:

Flying Arrow
04-20-2011, 02:39 PM

This is a noble endeavor.

Forsaken Lover
04-20-2011, 05:10 PM
I can't wait until Final Fantasy XX comes out and the fans then will be talking about what overrated crap it was while FFXIII was greatness.

Anyway, of the FFs I've completed, which is the most overrated?

Final Fantasy VIII. In this post-Spoony reviews age it might not seem like it but this game was pretty damn popular back then. It also maintains a pretty large fanbase even today.

It has the most unlikable main party of the entire series (that's including the basically personality-less party of FF2), the battle system can be broken by leaning on it and the plot collapses on itself as it goes along.

Oh sure, there were bright spots. I liked Laguna and some aspects of the story. The music was, of course, quite good. Sadly those things could not save this game.

I have another suggestion that popped into my mind when I brought up Laguna.

Dissidia.

This game's story is awful and the dialogue resembling an extra cheese pizza with a heaping helping of old ham doesn't help any.

The Man
04-21-2011, 05:49 AM
It makes my blood boil everytime I see anyone kiss up all over VI and then say something like all games before it were just building up to the majesty of VI.Calm down. It's just a smurfing game.

Elpizo
04-21-2011, 04:27 PM
It makes my blood boil everytime I see anyone kiss up all over VI and then say something like all games before it were just building up to the majesty of VI.Calm down. It's just a smurfing game.

Calm down, it's just an expression. ;)

Mercen-X
04-21-2011, 10:17 PM
I can't wait until Final Fantasy XX comes out and the fans then will be talking about what overrated crap it was while FFXIII was greatness...
Unfortunately... wait, you shall... this will assuredly never happen.

Why on Earth they decided it was worth making so many spin-offs and sequels is beyond me.

In my opinion, the reason VII has been tapped for a larger overarching universe is the same reason why fans loved VI, why VIII should have instead been released on the PS3, and why fans looked forward to XIII and still holdout hope for Versus XIII to redeem its lineage. It's the surreal modern-reality with sci-fi edge. Sure, every Fantasy has had Airships, but VI had Magitek, VII had motorcycles, VIII had gunblades, and XIII had transforming giants and apparently Versus has some kind of teleporting prince (Prince of Persia?).
It's the voice of the 90-2 generation crying out for the future. This is the reason why any Fantasy set in a medieval period needs to be accompanied by some form of technological advancements that could only appear in fantasy.

As for why it's overrated... frankly, I don't know. People who still play it today should realize it's got more problems than achievements. Still, I recall no such experience as racing down a highway and slashing oncoming attackers, flashing back to a memorable battle beside Cloud's idol, Sephiroth, wherein he topples a badass Dragon in two strokes (the only way Cloud even survives is if his Pre-Empt materia kicks in), snowboarding, watching the very guy I'VE been controlling throughout the game suddenly flip out and hand over the most destructive item to the very douche I've been trying to find and kill... parachuting into Midgar, obtaining "Knights of Round", watching the Omnislash, even the somewhat complicated and perhaps even partially aggravating process of catching and breeding chocobos to obtain the Gold Chocobo. Hell, even Cloud getting all dolled up for the Don was more memorable than I'd like.
Aerith's death was more an inconvenience than an actual tear-jerker. The first time I played, I'd put so much work into her, finally obtaining the Great Gospel and I don't think I even managed to use it once. Never had any need for it right before she left.

Right, well, anyway, so, what was I saying again?

Laddy
04-22-2011, 05:19 AM
I'm getting a lot of flame for this.

Final Fantasy VII is not overatted In a way, I fid some of its biggest fans underatting it. I mean, you have a great (if not always well told) and emotional storyline. It's just...the whole yaoi thing id really starting to destroy. If FFVII had a much less over-the-top style about it, it would be taken more seriously.

It's an emotional story with a good message, yet its ridiculous art style covers some of the intelligence behind it, and it's essentially treated far worse than it should be with its crappy fan fiction and spin-offs.

Raistlin
04-23-2011, 10:35 PM
FFVII: a good, fun game that I enjoy playing, with a likable cast of characters. However, the story is so poorly done, and the 2nd and 3rd discs disappoint me every time. It's like there were two sets of writers, one for the first disc and another for the other two -- or maybe they were just rushed getting the rest of the game done. The first disc is really good.

FFX: *gag* Bad, linear gameplay; bad characters; and a terrible story.

I would say FFVIII, but outside of a few hardcore fans, it seems that a lot of people already dislike it sufficiently.

Heath
04-24-2011, 11:41 PM
I'd go for VII or X. I wouldn't say IX is overrated. A lot of people are big fans of it on EoFF (myself included), as Aaron said, but amongst my offline friends, many don't rate IX very highly at all..

Now don't get me wrong, I think VII is a very good game, but I think that the amount of people who seem to consider it the gold standard of computer gaming are a bit off the mark. I enjoy VII very much, but I think there's a lot of people who seem to rate it too highly. In terms of number of overraters, I'd say VII.

In terms of the amount a game is overrated (i.e. the extent to which people think the game is better than I consider it to be, rather than the number of people who overrated it), I think X hits the mark. Again, I like X, despite it being one of my least favourite entries in the series. In terms of story and characters, I think it's weak. Yet there are a lot of people who I know who seem to consider this one of the best games in the series and I'll never for the life of me understand.

Forsaken Lover
04-25-2011, 12:02 AM
I can't wait until Final Fantasy XX comes out and the fans then will be talking about what overrated crap it was while FFXIII was greatness...
Unfortunately... wait, you shall... this will assuredly never happen.

These things go in cycles. Given how predictable and whiny the FF fanbase is, I see no reason to doubt things repeating..

FFXIII is immensely popular, despite what a vocal minority thinks. Given time this liking will grow even more while the haters slowly fade away. After years of nostalgia help blind people even more, FF20 will come out and all the old XIII fns will be up in arms about how it's not as good.

That's just how human nature is.

The Crystal
04-25-2011, 04:57 AM
FFVII today is more overhated than overrated IMO.

The most overrated FF game IMHO is FFVI. The level of prise fans give this game(together with Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, and FF Tatctics) is absurd.
Yes, all these 4 games are awesome, but people look at them as if they are the best RPG games ever made and that nothing will ever surpass them. Come on!

I love FFIX but I have to agree with this. The final disc was horrible. A place named Memoria, the Crystal World and the Original Crystal, Necron... All those things came out of nowhere.

The Man
04-25-2011, 06:12 AM
I barely ever see anyone express hate for FFVII. I just hear people saying it's overrated, and not an example of a perfect RPG.

Calm down, it's just an expression. ;)An expression that expresses annoyance and/or anger. As I said. It's just a smurfing game. :monster:

Elpizo
04-25-2011, 12:53 PM

Calm down, it's just an expression. ;)An expression that expresses annoyance and/or anger. As I said. It's just a smurfing game. :monster:

Well, fine, if I can't even decide myself anymore what I meant or how I feel, I'll be annoyed and angered from now on. :)

The Man
04-26-2011, 05:30 AM
I'm not telling you what you intended to say or how you feel. I'm telling you what the phrase you used is interpreted to mean by the majority of people who speak the language. If you do not wish to be misinterpreted, then you should be more careful in your use of colloquialisms.

Elpizo
04-26-2011, 07:12 AM
Or you could simply not jump to conclusions and think that I don't know it's a frigging game. :confused:

The Man
04-26-2011, 07:32 AM
http://fools-gold.org/forum/images/smilies/facepalm.jpg

I didn't think you didn't know it was a game. And you're accusing me of jumping to conclusions? My actual point in pointing out that was it was a game was that no game is worth getting worked up enough over that it, or reactions to it, would "make one's blood boil".

Loony BoB
04-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Both of you are debating the dumbest thing ever. Manny, don't be so dumb as to take people deadly seriously when they say things off the cuff in a post in a thread about overrated FF games on the internets. Elpizo, ignore Manny, he's a bit of a dork and takes a lot of things seriously when he shouldn't and he most certainly loves to debate semantics. :p

Back to being on topic, now, everyone!

The Man
04-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Both of you are debating the dumbest thing ever. Manny, don't be so dumb as to take people deadly seriously when they say things off the cuff in a post in a thread about overrated FF games on the internets. Elpizo, ignore Manny, he's a bit of a dork and takes a lot of things seriously when he shouldn't and he most certainly loves to debate semantics. :p

Back to being on topic, now, everyone!That was probably the last post I would have made on the topic, actually, because even I could see how ridiculous it was getting. But thanks for being so snide and insulting. It's good to see that, even after all these years, you're still perfectly within your rights to call someone "dumb" and "a dork" if you have a special title under your name.

Loony BoB
04-26-2011, 01:04 PM
I apologise if you took genuine offence, perhaps you were taking me too seriously as well. We've known each other for a long time and as far as I'm concerned you were derailing a thread. If you wish for me to treat you not as a person that I know and get along with but as a stranger, I will do so going forward.

The Man
04-26-2011, 01:09 PM
I don't object to you treating me with familiarity, and I wouldn't say I was really offended, but your post still came across as more than a little bit unfair. The fact that someone would read "makes my blood boil" as an expression of annoyance isn't exactly particularly strange or "dumb", since after all it's frequently used to express exactly that, and the origin of the expression is apparently that people actually once thought that anger and excitement literally caused the blood to boil (http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/56/messages/331.html).

Thanks for the apology, though; I appreciate it. And I'll stop derailing this thread further.

Kaie
05-05-2011, 02:37 PM
X

This was probably what made the developers think it was okay to make such a linear game as XIII.

I loved playing Final Fantasy because there was so much to explore; like in IX there were lots of optional places with sidequests to visit. After having such freedom, X was a big let-down.

Carl the Llama
05-09-2011, 12:04 AM
Discuss the sixth installment of the Final Fantasy series which ranks up there with the greatest video games of all time.

Even this site over rates this game imo, sure it was a great game but greatest of all time? I don't think so.

Polnareff
05-16-2011, 04:52 PM
I actually have to say Final Fantasy IV.

Look at it this way.

The ones that are named for being "overrated," like VI, VII, IX, and X all have one thing in common: they have more haters than overraters. Or rather, people who look down at the overraters and scoff and start arguments like what happened above me.

But IV is widely regarded as being one of the best games, and has nary an objector about it that I've seen. But IMO, the game just isn't that great. A lot of the characters made me, at the time, wanna stop playing RPGs completely (especially Edward and the Blunder Twins), and the whole "switch out awesome characters for terrible filler characters" thing got on my nerves really fast.

The pacing is really bad once you get about 3 hours in. It's just a huge mess.

Del Murder
05-16-2011, 07:59 PM
This is hard to say since it depends on who is rating the game, obviously. For example, I think WK overrates XII and Jesswee overrates XIII. There will always be people who love and hate each game.

But I say in general VIII is the most overrated. A lot of people didn't like it, yet somehow its characters and story manage to gain high ranks in various measures such as the EoFF census. Squall was probably the most stereotypical emo hero yet he gets love from many people. Probably because they like to think they are 'cool' like he is. The other characters were kind of a waste since the focus was a lot on Squall and Rinoa, a love story that was supposed to be the theme of the game but wasn't done well at all and is completely outdone by the love stories of IX and X. Then we get to the junction system, probably one of the worst FF battle systems. In fact I would call it the worst besides FFII. Drawing magic was annoying. Junctioning spells was nonsensical. Weapon upgrades seemed like an afterthought. Limit breaks could easily result in broken battles by just keeping your team in low HP. The GFs were cool and leveling GFs were fun so I'll give them that. The time compression thing was overly complicated and didn't make any sense.

Many people hated VIII. I didn't. I liked it. It just wasn't my favorite or 'up there' with the other FFs. But if so many people hated it then why do people talk about it so much? Why does Squall get votes for best character or get into so many user names? Why try to make sense of the plot?