PDA

View Full Version : Most overpowered characters in gaming...

Wolf Kanno
04-10-2011, 06:31 AM
Like the last thread I made, this one stems from a conversation I had with a friend about characters in games who are just sickeningly overpowered. There were rules of course...

1) No main characters, they are usually overpowered smurfs to begin with.

2) No major exploitation of the battle system, i.e. with VIII's Junction system, any character can solo the game so it has more to do with the system than what is inherent in the character itself.

There is a rule 3 but I'll ignore it for now.

So who are the most overpowered characters in gaming who just suddenly make the game either a breeze or finally give you a fighting chance.

LunarWeaver
04-10-2011, 07:01 AM
There's always the Cid in Tactics.

Baird is the most powerful of all the Gears of War characters just because. :mymelbert:

nirojan
04-10-2011, 05:38 PM
awww no main characters?

Would've said:
ONE WORD: STARKILLER!

NorthernChaosGod
04-10-2011, 08:54 PM
I can't think of a single example since you've already taken out the main characters. :|

Bunny
04-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Kratos from Tales of Symphonia.

Simply having him in your party made it impossible to lose.

Depression Moon
04-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Do you mean overpowered as in game mechanics?

NeoCracker
04-11-2011, 12:11 AM
BOF II was pretty overpowered with Blue. She is everything Nina is, but better.

And she can regenerate her health...

Outside of optional characters, I'd say Rand is probably your strongest player, though I'm not sure he'd be overpowered. He's an amazing tank, even with his poor equipment. His physical attack is solid, and he's got amazing Healing magic.

In any version of FF IV virutally any problem is solvable by a berserked and hasted Edge, and since you can pull this off without the need of caster due to Items, though even then I'm not sure I'd put this to overpowered.

Though an obviously overpowered character is Wild Arms 3 with Clive. Never improve his guns ammo, the two shots before reload is all you need. Just boost up accuracy, power, and a bit into critical hit. Spend one round buffing him, proceed to kill any boss in 2-3 hits. So 4 or 5 rounds if it's a huge HP boss. Without an attack from anyone but Clive. Really everyone else damage output is so pitiful by comparison there isn't a point in attacking with them.

The Wild Arms PSP game had a guy who could, with 100% accuracy, break any enemies weapon. And virtually every enemy in the game is human, so its effective on probably 70% of the guys in the game. And it works on human bosses.

And in Dragon Age 2, Meril is a fucking beast.

She, my mage, was the only one of my three companions alive, and this was at the start of a battle the other two were killed. I sat back and watch my Mage be swarmed, and just massacring everything, taking no damage. That should not happen.

In Earthbound, with a couple Bottle Rockets Jeff could take out any boss. So for most battles, Jeff is pretty damned over powered.

escobert
04-11-2011, 12:41 AM
can it be an enemy or NPC?

Wolf Kanno
04-11-2011, 05:41 AM
Has to be playable.

I would like to vote Citan Uzuki from Xenogears. He has as much HP as Heavy tank characte Rico, is the strongest character in your party before he gets a weapon at the end of the first disc (at which point, the man just never leaves your party) and he is also the fastest character in the game, the fact he has healing and buff spells just adds salt in the wound. :cool:

Big D
04-11-2011, 11:50 AM
A playable, but not main character? That would seem to narrow the field almost completely... I suspect I'm missing some obvious examples, so could you name a few?

Mo-Nercy
04-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Jin in Tekken 4 was broken and overpowered with his unblockable, quickly charged, EWGF launcher. He was the main character, but a fighting game should have balanced characters.

And perhaps Edgar when you first get him in FF6. Autocrossbow kills just about everything for a good while.

Old Manus
04-14-2011, 12:32 AM
mewtwo

ZeroFusion
04-14-2011, 07:29 AM
How about Jecht from Dissidia: Final Fantasy (not Duodecim)? His unblockable combos (unless you had your EX-gauge full to EX-block him out of the combo) were really overpowered.

Psychotic
04-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Lu Bu. Nuff sed.

NeoCracker
04-15-2011, 02:43 AM
Lu Bu. Nuff sed.

In Lu Bu's defense, he is kind of a bad ass.

Hollycat
04-15-2011, 03:05 AM
I was gonna say Lu Bu...
Tadakatsu Honda

qwertysaur
04-15-2011, 04:28 AM
Wind God Gau is the extreme, but Gau is really really strong if you use the right rages.

GhandiOwnsYou
04-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Lei Fei from Virtua Fighter 4 Evo. He's fast, strong, and if you play him right, damn near everything will stagger or knock down your opponent. It's insult to injury that often you can juggle someone in the middle of a fall with low hits til death anyway. That said... I always keep him as a back up, in case someone starts to get cocky because they're beating up on Shun Di. The ego level goes down real quick when Lei Fei decimation begins.

Loony BoB
04-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Manus beat me to it.

EDIT: Also, while you can play as him, Sephiroth. :p

Citizen Bleys
04-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Every Suikoden game had at least one
Suikoden I: Pesmerga
Suikoden II: Tir if you started from S1 save data, Georg' otherwise
Suikoden III: Technically Thomas is the main character, so take your pick of True Rune holders, or sub in Sasarai
Suikoden IV: Ted
Suikoden V: Richard, Georg', Zerase, Belcoot, Killey, Mathias, and Roy. Lots of OP characters in Suikoden V.

Don't anybody say Mathias doesn't belong the list, or I'll be forced to exact swift and final retribution and discard your loathesome corpse into the sea.

Wolf Kanno
04-15-2011, 07:51 PM
I might have added Clive from Suikoden I and II, since he does as much damage as some of the melee classes and gets the extra defense of being in the back row and having fairly good defense to begin with. Proving that guns are cheap in Suikoden...

I also won't count the rune users in SIII cause Geddoe, Chris, and Hugo are the main characters. Though Sasarai is okay. ;)

black orb
04-15-2011, 08:14 PM
>>> Pac-man..:luca:

NorthernChaosGod
04-15-2011, 08:22 PM
I need to play more video games; I haven't played a lot of these you guys mentioned. :|

VeloZer0
04-16-2011, 12:57 AM
I wouldn't bother, I hear they are poorly balanced.

Wolf Kanno
04-16-2011, 03:13 AM
Name me one balanced game VeloZer0 :p

VeloZer0
04-16-2011, 03:58 AM
Chestmaster 5500 :p

qwertysaur
04-16-2011, 04:56 AM
The queen is overpowered. :p

VeloZer0
04-16-2011, 05:48 AM
I hear they are fixing it next patch.

Citizen Bleys
04-16-2011, 09:48 PM
I also won't count the rune users in SIII cause Geddoe, Chris, and Hugo are the main characters. Though Sasarai is okay. ;)

Thomas is the Tenkai star, and that makes him the protagonist :)

Hollycat
04-16-2011, 11:30 PM
angry bomb bird

Rase
04-18-2011, 11:48 PM
http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt342/Rstage89/glowing-kanji.gif

Hollycat
04-19-2011, 02:14 AM
combo

*Laurelindo*
04-24-2011, 01:37 PM
Dias in Star Ocean: The Second Story is quite overpowered when you first get him.

Otherwise I'll have to say Hero from Dragon Warrior 4, that guy is an ace at everything (best equipment, Healusall, Lightning and Thordain).

Skyblade
04-24-2011, 04:24 PM
Nephenee, from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

The series' first playable member of the Soldier class (since the games came to America), and easily the second best character in the game (second only to Ike, who is probably the single most overpowered character a Fire Emblem game has ever had). She has excellent max stats once she is promoted to Halberdier, and a really sweet stat growth that has a tendency to give her boosts to pretty much everything most level ups. She also has access to the Flame Lance (and better Magic growth than most lance-users), making her one of the few characters who can reliably deal both physical and magical damage. And she looks awesome.

Raistlin
04-24-2011, 05:20 PM
Suikoden V: Richard, Georg', Zerase, Belcoot, Killey, Mathias, and Roy.

I think Richard blows the rest of them out of the water. When you had to split into three parties for the final dungeon, I had a lot more difficulty with the other parties because I actually took damage, which is almost an alien concept for a party with a fully-utilized Richard.

For Lunar SSSC, both Laike and Ghaleon are very overpowered when they are in your party. Laike especially, with his four or five super strong hits per round (Alex and Kyle become pretty damn overpowered when they get more hits too).

Shattered Dreamer
04-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Shadow in FFVI before he joins you permanently is overpowered compared to the characters already in your party. He's the only non main protagonist who's overpowered I can think of right now.

Polnareff
05-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Magoichi Saika in Sengoku Basara 3 has it all: good speed, really good attack, great range, and she only gets better when you equip her with certain items. She's so good that my friend, who never plays crowd-control games, was able to get through the whole thing with a barely powered-up Saika on the hardest difficulty with no trouble.

I'd throw Kanbei Kuroda in there too (from the same game as Saika), but only if you can master his roll cancel. You master that and learn the timing of his Final Atomic Buster-like super art to get all the throws out of it, there's no way you'll have any trouble beating his story mode. Do his regular combo, then the wrecking ball swing move, cancel into the shockwave, roll as the shockwave finishes animation, and do it all over again and you'll pretty much steamroll over everything. The bosses die quickly to the Final Atomic Buster, usually within only two uses of it.

Nicole from Guardian Heroes was a healer, but a really kick-ass one. Not only did she have awesome healing spells, she had some really fast attacks and the barrier of doom. With the barrier you could trap bosses in the corner of the stage and make them bounce off the barrier until they died and protect yourself from attacks too. The only bad thing about it was that you didn't gain experience for hitting them with the barrier or even killing them with it.

Even though Blue Dragon is quite easy, I seem to remember having Marumaro as a Monk and decimating a lot of monsters by himself (he had the Chakra ability, he had a move which hit every monster in the other party, and some other really crazy things). Just scary. Having Jiro with healing spells and Shu and Kluke whacking away made the game probably the easiest RPG I've ever played.

Vermachtnis
05-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Pamela from Mana Khemia.

She's a ghost so, she get's Null-Physical. Also she has an auto Auto-life skill, it's not automatic, but it's not a long wait time either, so if you just hold out for awhile, she'll come back. Not to mention, she has an attack that get's stronger the less health she has and another attack that's cast from health.

Hollycat
05-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Having Jiro with healing spells and Shu and Kluke whacking away made the game probably the easiest RPG I've ever played.
Dak is in blue dragon!??!?!

NorthernChaosGod
05-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Meta Knight is ridiculous in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. He has awesome recovery, crazy speed and priority.

Polnareff
05-26-2011, 02:58 AM
I was able to find a video of Nicole.

YouTube - ‪Guardian Heroes speed run 26:16 Nicole pt1‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBBwseNLr5Q)

Forgot to mention she has a move that's B+C I believe, and knocks the enemies away and is almost totally invincible (it's that one she does where a blue beam rises vertically around her). Only downside is it takes a little life away from her, but remember the healing spells? Ah.......

Laddy
05-26-2011, 04:06 AM
Pamela from Mana Khemia.

She's a ghost so, she get's Null-Physical. Also she has an auto Auto-life skill, it's not automatic, but it's not a long wait time either, so if you just hold out for awhile, she'll come back. Not to mention, she has an attack that get's stronger the less health she has and another attack that's cast from health.
Agreed 100%!

I'd have to say Aigis of P3, imo. She was pretty much unstoppable.

Shattered Dreamer
05-26-2011, 07:11 PM
I thought of another one:

Brock Lesnar in WWE Smackdown Here Comes The Pain on PS2

That ahole was next to unstoppable! I play those games on their hardest difficulty (I find them quiet easy) but even on normal this guy was a bastard. I remember he used to be able to kick out of your finisher even when his body damage was in the red. I really really hated ever playing against him the dirty fucker!

Hollycat
05-27-2011, 12:02 AM
anyone with the satellite laser in 3rd birthday.
The only thing those guys cant take down is the reaper

Giga Guess
05-27-2011, 02:07 AM
I'm hard pressed to think of anyone more blatantly overpowered than Orlandu from FF Tactics. Let's look at the facts:
1.) He's a storyline character. No additional effort must be made to find him AT ALL.
2.) He comes equipped with one of the most powerful swords in the game.
3.) He renders three whole characters almost completely redundant (Granted, one only is in your party temporarily) and stops shy of completely eclipsing the other two purely because they are female, and can equip Chantage, and he cannot. Hell, you even get one AFTER him.
4.) Most importantly, he enters your party, and pretty much every subsequent battle becomes all but completely trivial. His stats, the effect, and power level of his attacks...granted, one should expect it when one earns the moniker of "Thundergod Cid" but yeesh!

Hollycat
05-27-2011, 03:30 AM
Count Orlandou Cidolfus is perhaps the most over powered character ever. Excluding the secret enemy from BBS

Carl the Llama
05-27-2011, 06:49 AM
[TR][TD]TBH I am surprised that no one has mentioned any of the FFVII characters, if a level 7 Tifa can beat Emerald weapon with the right materia combo I would say that it pretty damned overpowered, and if Tifa can do it, then so can everyone else.

Wolf Kanno
05-27-2011, 09:31 AM
TBH I am surprised that no one has mentioned any of the FFVII characters, if a level 7 Tifa can beat Emerald weapon with the right materia combo I would say that it pretty damned overpowered, and if Tifa can do it, then so can everyone else.

2) No major exploitation of the battle system, i.e. with VIII's Junction system, any character can solo the game so it has more to do with the system than what is inherent in the character itself.

BG-57
05-30-2011, 02:27 AM
Most of the ones I thought of have have been mentioned already (like T.G. Cid and the Suikoden characters) but I have a few contributions:

Suikoden Tactics: Lazlo and Snowe are bonus carryover characters from SuIV. Snowe is an unremarkable warrior type but Lazlo can singlehandedly clear entire battlefieds with his Rune of Punishment.

Arc the Lac II: Choko can do a subquest and unlock Akura, who can wipe the walls with foes.

Arc the Lad III: Anrietta is one of Alec's frequent clients and seems a typical spoiled rich girl, but in combat she can deadly fire energy beams! She's below the main characters' levels if recruited, but once she's brought up to speed she's more powerful than anyone else.

Del Murder
06-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Canopus from Tactics Ogre. Or Arycelle. Or any archer. But Canopus first because he can fly.

Roogle
06-03-2011, 08:42 PM
BOF II was pretty overpowered with Blue. She is everything Nina is, but better.

Yes, Bleu completely overrides Nina as a character in the gameplay mechanics. She has the highest growth in almost every parameter because her statistical growth increases even at levels where other characters' stop gaining points in various statistics.

Rose was fairly powerful in Street Fighter Alpha 2. If I recall correctly, Rose, Chun-Li, Ryu, and Ken make up the top tier by themselves.

Polnareff
06-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Rose was fairly powerful in Street Fighter Alpha 2. If I recall correctly, Rose, Chun-Li, Ryu, and Ken make up the top tier by themselves.

Rose had that crouching MP in Alpha 2 that pretty much beat everything. Like Sagat's crouching HP in Capcom vs. SNK 2 but faster. That was one of the main reasons she was so good. A few of the other characters, like Chun, had some damn good custom combos.

Wolf Kanno
06-04-2011, 06:24 AM
I almost forgot Zero from MMX:Command Mission. Incredibly fast and the best damage dealer in the game. Once you unlock his Absolute Zero mode, he can solo most of the game cause he's just ridiculous. Course, Zero is a beast in most Mega Man titles...

Ryogo from Front Mission 3, teamed up the main character, they are unstoppable on his own, he makes you value the power of machine guns since most of his skills and proficiency stems from them. Watching him pull off three special abilities and literally watch him reduce a Wanzer to nothing with just two machine guns is a sight to behold.

Karn from BoF1, he is total bull:bou::bou::bou::bou: and the only reason why you would bother with some cast members. For those who don't know, Karn has the ability to fuse with other party members and basically becomes a Swedish Murder Machine, granted he can't fuse with everyone but when he can make the Goldfish guy and Mole kid actually attractive people to bring along, you know something is broken.

I'd also like to second Georg Prime from Suikoden 5 only because I saw him kill a boss, who was at half health and resistant to physical damage, with one attack after something like three parameters all activated at once. He was at low health and activated a move that raises his power, his killer rune activated for a special critical hit, and he went out of turn to do this... It is incredibly rare to see 4 digit damage in Suikoden, at most maybe 1500 but Georg hit for over 5000 with this stunt. There is a damn good reason the game won't allow him to be in your final party until a new game +.

chaos in Xenosaga Episode 1, except for machines (which you rarely fight in this title) and a few Gnosis at the end of the game, chaos is a beast since very few things can resist his innate spirit based attacks, and he gets some truly frightening Tech attacks. chaos has probably been more badly nerfed in later installments than any other character in the series Jr. isn't far behind either since most of his tech attacks hit everything and nothing resists pierce damage.

Kyros
06-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Reid in ToD2 is the strongest chara Ive ever seen in a game. He had a move that make omnislash from cloud look like nothing.

Polnareff
06-05-2011, 04:47 AM
While everyone's talking about BoF, Capcom mostly got the balance pretty good with BoF3 and BoF4 (well, other than Nina pretty much sucking compared to pretty much the rest of the cast in 3, everyone could at least be used decently under the right masters/skill setups), but they majorly dropped the ball with Dragon Quarter.

Seriously, once Nina gets the Transfer skill, the balance goes out the window completely (as opposed to only thinking of going out the window), especially if Ryu has good equipment. Not to mention the dragon attacks, although those raise the D. Counter and sometimes aren't the most effective way to go about fighting certain bosses (like Dover).

And yeah, Karn is the only reason to bring Gobi or Mogu along. I'd argue that he's the only reason to bring Ox along too (IMO Ox is a boring character in battle, despite his high defense and attack). I've always found it funny how Karn can only fuse with the animal characters even though it's due to story reasons. :monster: