PDA

View Full Version : Most tragic figure in FFVIII?

WhiteStorm
04-10-2011, 11:25 PM
Who do you think is the most tragic character in this game?
I would go for either Edea or Ultimecia. What do you think?

Depression Moon
04-11-2011, 02:30 AM
What do you find tragic about Ulti?

WhiteStorm
04-11-2011, 03:23 AM
Well, no matter what she does or how hard she tries to avoid her destiny, in the end Squall and co. are going to defeat her.

Wolf Kanno
04-11-2011, 05:51 AM
I feel being bat :bou::bou::bou::bou: crazy and wanting to converge time into a singularity so she can rule forever as a god sort of negates sympathy. Besides, for trying to avoid her fate, she never seemed terribly despondent about it. More like cocky and a total psycho bitch.

I would say Laguna and Ellone are the most tragic figures. Laguna loses his first love, his second dies in childbirth, he's estranged with his son, and the daughter he spent half his life searching for spent more time with his son and Edea than him. If he wasn't so happy go lucky about everything, it would come across a bit more tragic.

Ellone has spent most of her life on the run and has never really had a chance to sit down and make friends with anyone. Her closest friends being the White SeeDs, Kiros, Ward, and Squall of all people.

Rostum
04-11-2011, 07:08 AM
I would say Laguna and Ellone are the most tragic figures. Laguna loses his first love, his second dies in childbirth, he's estranged with his son, and the daughter he spent half his life searching for spent more time with his son and Edea than him. If he wasn't so happy go lucky about everything, it would come across a bit more tragic.

Definitely agree with you here.

Jiro
04-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Add another. Like I said in my Laguna thread, he really does have a hell of a time. But he's so upbeat about it, man. He's just like "yeah bitches I'm Laguna whatchugonnadoaboutit."

The scene in Winhill when he goes to bed freaks me out. He really shows some vulnerability there.

Tuhkasieni
04-11-2011, 09:23 AM

^this. But still Laguna is such a positive and happy character so I dont really see him as a really tragic person, just a lot of bad luck.

I also think Seifer's a pretty tragic character, he didn't pass the SeeD exam and then he gets possessed and delusional. He tries so hard, but never really succeeds.

WhiteStorm
04-11-2011, 04:50 PM
I feel being bat :bou::bou::bou::bou: crazy and wanting to converge time into a singularity so she can rule forever as a god sort of negates sympathy. Besides, for trying to avoid her fate, she never seemed terribly despondent about it. More like cocky and a total psycho bitch.

mmm.... I don't know. I mean, yeah, she is a psycho bitch, but she's trapped in her failure, doomed to never achieve her goal no matter how hard she tries. Think about it, she knows that she's going to be defeated, 'cause she calls Squall the "legendary SeeD destined to face her" and everybody knows the outcome of the final battle.

Ellone has spent most of her life on the run and has never really had a chance to sit down and make friends with anyone. Her closest friends being the White SeeDs, Kiros, Ward, and Squall of all people.

You have a point there.
I've always pittied Ellone, she leads such a lonely life.

Depression Moon
04-11-2011, 07:55 PM

I agree with him.

Think about it, she knows that she's going to be defeated, 'cause she calls Squall the "legendary SeeD destined to face her" and everybody knows the outcome of the final battle.
Where was that said?

WhiteStorm
04-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Where was that said?

End Disc 2, before you battle Edea (remember you're actually fighting Ultimecia).

Roogle
04-14-2011, 09:45 PM

The game does a poor job of portraying Ultimecia in any sort of tragic light. Selphie makes a comment in some official outside material that Ultimecia may have been trying to protect herself in the only way that she knew how, which lends some support to the notion that Ultimecia might have been persecuted and feared before she was even born due to the nature of the time loop. Severe trauma and persecution can turn even the kindest of souls into a crazy person.

Ellone has a rather uplifting story if you look at the end result: she learned to appreciate everything that she has in the present much more deeply as a result of her trying to change the past, whereas Ultimecia only ends up contributing to her own demise by trying to mess with time.

phoenixheffa
07-17-2011, 02:48 PM
I definitely say Ultimecia. She's been conditioned (probably since childhood) to be a crazy bitch, thanks to the persecution of the masses. She had no choice...though I wonder what would have happened had she not created the time loop in the first place...and an even better question is what caused her to create it in the first place. The future-most Ultimecia was responsible for giving the past's Edea the idea for SeeDs so if you remove that action, what's her motivation?

Haha_YouAint
07-17-2011, 06:52 PM
I really wished they had gone more into Utlimecia's background or something.

I agree with wolf kanno that laguna and ellone are the most tragic. Laguna more so.

But tuhkasieni has a point about Seifer being a bit tragic too.

Chris
07-19-2011, 01:43 PM
I'll have to jump on the bandwagon, and say Laguna and Ellone. Although quite sad, also quite sentimental and lovely. The Windhill scenario is quite sweetly done.

Greeneyes
08-22-2011, 05:14 AM

Yup, I always felt Laguna's & Raine's story was the most tragic. In the music video, the part where Laguna proposes to her (the flashback) and the next scene, he is standing near her gravestone.....that part always gets to me :cry:

Roogle
08-22-2011, 11:22 PM
Ellone has a difficult and tragic backstory in that she wants to reunite her family at all costs, but the game makes it clear that she is on the road to a much happier path after the events of the game. I would venture to say that Ultimecia is more tragic because of her demise and lack of any sort of redemption.

Christmas
08-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Those random monsters that we butchered? :(