PDA

View Full Version : Stairs

Jiro
04-12-2011, 12:43 PM
There's some stairs at uni and every time I walk up and down them I wonder if I look like an idiot. I've taken to sitting at a table nearby and watching people walk up and down the stairs. It's a little bit creepy, but I'm curious. Do you do anything interesting in your ascent or descent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjtxjrS-ayk) of stairs?

I have a mega elongated step when I reach the top. It's ridiculous. I also walk down stairs slowly if I'm not in a hurry, like I'm the Big Bad entering the scene at a dramatic moment.

If this is a boring topic, then tell us a story about stairs. Everybody's fallen down/up them before!

Iceglow
04-12-2011, 12:49 PM
lol I have a rule about staircases...run up them always! Also run down in public transportation hubs this can mean people literally get the nanoseconds of time to move or else die as I blow past them.

Sometimes coming down stairs I will leap as many as possible, even if I'm in my "cowboy" boots which means I have a hard time not sliding around at the bottom since they've got no tread.

qwertysaur
04-12-2011, 01:23 PM
I skip every other stair when going up them. :bigsmile:

Remon
04-12-2011, 01:25 PM
I jump on the last one when descending. I look frustrated when ascending.

Psychotic
04-12-2011, 02:13 PM
I can never go down stairs quickly. Even when like running down them. I just. What. How is this possible. There is something wrong with me.

Unbreakable Will
04-12-2011, 02:28 PM
I skip every other step while going up, and tend to take my time going down.

I fell up the steps when I was a freshmen. In a stairway filled with seniors and extremely hot women. :G

Jiro
04-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Surely some upskirt potential?

Mo-Nercy
04-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Two at a time is my rule for going up. When I go down, I can't help but go quickly (unless I'm walking with people). I don't fly down them, but I get sort of a jogging pace going and I kind of 'skip' down one at a time.

Same deal with escalators. Though it's only one at a time going up because of the steeper step. I don't think I ever just stand on an escalator unless I'm using my phone or with other people.

Unbreakable Will
04-12-2011, 02:46 PM
:shifty: perhaps lol

Remon
04-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Same deal with escalators. Though it's only one at a time going up because of the steeper step. I don't think I ever just stand on an escalator unless I'm using my phone or with other people.

Me too. I think that it would look pretty awkward to other people if I was just standing. I usually play with my shoes, search pockets, check phone, check time, pretend there's dust on my jacket etc etc. Escalators are embarrassing.

qwertysaur
04-12-2011, 03:08 PM
I laugh at people who don't go on broken escalators. :p

Iceglow
04-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Actually tell a lie, sometimes I will stay still on an escalator. This is generally because of one of a small number of reasons:

1) I am looking for my ticket/checking my phone
2) I am with friends who do not share my love of running escalators.
3) I am behind an extremely hot girl I wouldn't mind checking out some more
4) there is a lady with a pushchair or pram ahead of me on the escalator.

Seriously those 4 reasons are enough to stop me otherwise *dash* time. Though I have on occasion been glad of stopping behind someone with a pram/pushchair like recently at a local tube station a woman with a pram was searching for her ticket, the pram slipped and nearly pushed mother and baby down the stairs from about 10 - 20ft from the top and about 20 - 30ft from the bottom. I caught both the mother and her pram and helped them the rest of the way, I hate to think what would have happened had I not been behind her.

qwertysaur
04-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Also when nobody else in on them I go up the down escalator and down the up escalator. :bigsmile:

Timekeeper
04-12-2011, 04:42 PM
I dislike people who insist on standing on escalators. They're supposed to be stairs made faster!

Two at a time going up and three going down. It's fun going down stairs quickly!

NorthernChaosGod
04-12-2011, 05:55 PM
I climb up stairs two at a time, unless I'm with people. No one around here shares my love for climbing stairs quickly. :(

At least I can find camaraderie with you people. <3

Bunny
04-12-2011, 07:13 PM
My solution to stairs is to use an elevator.

Peegee
04-12-2011, 07:54 PM
If you ever meet me irl and i have to go down a flight of stairs, watch carefully as I will tap the hand rail to the same beat as my step. If I don't I will get confused and need to walk slower

it's true!

Shlup
04-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Further proof that PG is broken.

I use stairs like a normal person, and will choose stairs over elevators whenever possible.

NorthernChaosGod
04-13-2011, 12:13 AM
If you ever meet me irl and i have to go down a flight of stairs, watch carefully as I will tap the hand rail to the same beat as my step. If I don't I will get confused and need to walk slower

it's true!
Silly azn, just fly!

Peegee
04-13-2011, 12:17 AM

it's true!
Silly azn, just fly!

why do people keep calling me azn?

anyway if I lose focus I leap down the rest of the stairs instead of falling.

have you ever jamp down 9-10 flights of stairs?

NorthernChaosGod
04-13-2011, 12:22 AM
At once? o_O

escobert
04-13-2011, 01:32 AM
I hate days at work when I have to walk all over the place and go up and down ten million stairs.

rubah
04-13-2011, 02:50 AM
When I take stairs, I take them two at a time. My logic is that with my longer legs, taking one step at a time is slow. Also, increasing the moment arm of my leg (hehehe) means I have to do more work for each stair (but fewer times???) so it may be more of a workout.

All semester I've had class in buildings where I had to climb three flights of stairs every day, but I'm still bad at it!

Going downstairs, my thoughts are usually "oh god I am going to trip and fall this will be terrible guys"

Loony BoB
04-13-2011, 01:42 PM
It's incredibly sad that this is the first thing I thought when reading that post, too. "It's not completely bad..."

Walking up and down stairs in crutches is a nightmare, and I had to do that for months.

EDIT: And those stairs were the U-shaped kind, so I had to turn, too. >=(

Jiro
04-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Oh damn. I've never had to turn whilst walking up stairs on crutches. That :bou::bou::bou::bou: must be hard. I climbed the neverending steps on my uni library on crutches once and them some dick informs me there's an elevator. Thanks for the warning beforehand, jerk.

escobert
04-13-2011, 11:30 PM
yeah I hated my moms house when I had crutches. My room was on the 3rd floor :(

Shiny
04-14-2011, 04:28 AM
Last Wednesday the elevator was broken so I had to walk five flights of stairs only to get there and then find out the class I had that morning was canceled. There was no notification of this. So yeah, professor is going down.

Hollycat
04-14-2011, 04:43 AM
Im a little overweight, so whenever I walk up stairs I feel like everyone in ten miles is staring at me and laughing inside

NorthernChaosGod
04-14-2011, 05:06 AM
A little or a lot?

Hollycat
04-14-2011, 05:13 AM
I hate days at work when I have to walk all over the place and go up and down ten million stairs.

Bert works at Shinra apparently

sharkythesharkdogg
04-14-2011, 05:14 AM
Oh yes, it's always two at a time going up stairs, and a medium paced jog going down stairs. I love going down stairs because there's no conscious effort involved. You just lean forward and let your feet do their thing.

NorthernChaosGod
04-14-2011, 05:23 AM
Oh yes, it's always two at a time going up stairs, and a medium paced jog going down stairs. I love going down stairs because there's no conscious effort involved. You just lean forward and let your feet do their thing.

Exactly. I wish I could go down stairs more often.

Shaibana
04-16-2011, 06:09 PM
haha i always skip the last one to when i descent =) and when im happy ill just make a big jump (if i have the space for it ^^)
Somehow when i go up.. most of the time im always watching my feet :S

blackmage_nuke
04-16-2011, 10:50 PM
I normally run up stairs, the only time I've stood still on an escalator was when I was coughing and spluttering when I got on one and it felt like the earth was moving anyway.

Rantz
04-16-2011, 11:16 PM
I just slide down the handrail. When I go up, I climb the handrail anyway just to prove my determination.

NorthernChaosGod
04-16-2011, 11:47 PM
Fucking vikings, always one-upping us regular folk.

Shaibana
04-17-2011, 11:36 AM
100 point that we all went the 'wrong way" on the escalators when we were a child :P
u know... going up the escalator when it actualy went down xD

Iceglow
04-17-2011, 08:38 PM
100 point that we all went the 'wrong way" on the escalators when we were a child :P
u know... going up the escalator when it actualy went down xD

I still do that at work if I'm on the up escalator next to my dept going lunch and need to pass a message to the people on my dept I simply walk down the escalator like it's a tread mill gone wrong.

LunarWeaver
04-17-2011, 08:44 PM
I piggyback up or down on the nearest person. You can get a lot of common courtesy just by asking.

Shauna
04-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Up the stairs two at a time for me. Until I've gone up like 5 flights of stairs, with another 5 usually looming ahead. Then I start to despair and wonder why I didn't just take the damn lift, it's not like I would have had to wait that long! :(

Downstairs is usually some form of mild jogging. I can get down the stairs at some speed.

Clo
04-20-2011, 01:18 AM
When I was little I used to climb stairs using my hands and feet.

I was clearly very, very cool. /smug

Laddy
04-20-2011, 06:45 AM
My house is two stories and, regardless of what I'm doing, I can't resist running up and down them every single time, regardless of time, mood, or reason. :bigsmile:

NorthernChaosGod
04-20-2011, 08:32 AM
When I was little I used to climb stairs using my hands and feet.

I was clearly very, very cool. /smug

But not anymore?