PDA

View Full Version : I need a new anime!

Jessweeee♪
04-13-2011, 02:38 AM
It's been like a year since I've watched a new anime series, and I need suggestions!

To start you all off, here are my top favorite series!

Welcome to the NHK
Higurashi
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Lovely Complex
Eden of the East
Honey and Clover
FLCL
Serial Experiments Lain

The only limit: I'm not very open to shonen series that go on and on and on. Like Bleach, Fairy Tail, etc. You know. The ones that have a set up that allow for hundreds and hundreds of important characters and are just kinda written as it goes. I'm not going through that again!

Please help!

Kuroshima
04-13-2011, 03:16 AM
Elfen Lied if you can find it. :love:

Jessweeee♪
04-13-2011, 03:17 AM
Saw it already! It was pretty gory xD

Unbreakable Will
04-13-2011, 04:17 AM
Damn it, I was going to suggest Elfen Lied...erm ok here;

Afro Samurai (really good, so is the movie)
D.Gray Man (smurfing watch it :colbert:)
Death Note (I had a fling with it, really not bad)
Fooly Cooly
Highschool of the Dead (Great zombie apocalypse series)
Kekkaishi
Noir (Haven't seen it myself but heard it's not bad)
Pandora Hearts (Awesome concept but the storyline is a bit odd, a good watch though)
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom (Assassin series unlike any other I have ever seen, Jess if you dont watch this of your own will I will find you tie you to a chair and make you watch it :doublecolbert:)
Rurouni Kenshin
Samurai Champloo
Witchblade
Wolf's Rain (again, find you and tie you to a chair good)
Zatch Bell (Don't you judge me xD)

qwertysaur
04-13-2011, 04:31 AM
I loved Gash Bell. Did you read the manga as well, there is an arc after Zeno with a villain who makes Zofis look like a nice person. It's a long series though so it's not what Jessweeee♪ is looking for.

Full Metal Panic. So you can watch Fumoffu without wondering who everybody is. :bigsmile:

I've been thinking of watching Psychic Detective Yakumo myself. It has some good reviews and the premise looks promising. It's a shorter series (13 episodes) too, which looks to be your style. :p

Unbreakable Will
04-13-2011, 04:33 AM
I loved Gash Bell. Did you read the manga as well, there is an arc after Zeno with a villain who makes Zofis look like a nice person. It's a long series though so it's not what Jessweeee♪ is looking for.

Full Metal Panic. So you can watch Fumoffu without wondering who everybody is. :bigsmile:

I've been thinking of watching Psychic Detective Yakumo myself. It has some good reviews and the premise looks promising. It's a shorter series (13 episodes) too, which looks to be your style. :p
I've been wanting to read the manga for quite sometime but don't have the money for the actual books nor the patience to read them online. :(

Madonna
04-13-2011, 04:55 AM
Baccano! is my recommendation for a good, short anime. The cast is fairly large, but they all play their part in sixteen episodes. You can find it on Netflix currently if you have it.

Unbreakable Will
04-13-2011, 05:57 AM
I just watched the first episode of Psychic Detective Yakumo. I'm already hooked, add that to the suggestions :love:

Citizen Bleys
04-13-2011, 06:26 AM
Welcome to the NHK

Based on this, I recommend Genshiken

FLCL

Based on this, I recommend heavy recreational use of crack cocaine.

More serious ones I've enjoyed have been Darker Than Black, Death Note, Code Geass, sCRYed (or however you're supposed to do the caps), and Scrapped Princess.

Oh, but just the first season of Darker than Black--Gemini of the Meteor sucked hard.

BG-57
04-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Vision of Escaflowne
Kare Kano
Fruits Basket
Steam Detectives
Excel Saga
Brain Powerd
Arjuna

Hollycat
04-14-2011, 05:04 AM
It's been like a year since I've watched a new anime series, and I need suggestions!

To start you all off, here are my top favorite series!

Welcome to the NHK
Higurashi
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Lovely Complex
Eden of the East
Honey and Clover
FLCL
Serial Experiments Lain

The only limit: I'm not very open to shonen series that go on and on and on. Like Bleach, Fairy Tail, etc. You know. The ones that have a set up that allow for hundreds and hundreds of important characters and are just kinda written as it goes. I'm not going through that again!

Please help!

never heard of any of those

Jessweeee♪
04-14-2011, 05:53 AM
Well if you're looking for something new, I recommend Higurashi!

Shauna
04-18-2011, 12:14 AM
Bakemonogatari was a fun one. A bit weird, but it's interesting. Also Kaiji is also good. Rock Paper Scissors will never be the same. :P

/animu I have recently watched

I Don't Need A Name
04-18-2011, 12:16 AM
If you like Slice of Life stuff the Clannad & Clannad ~After Story~ are definately worth it! Ga-Rei Zero is also an interesting anime. Especially if you are familiar with the manga it prequels (I watched before reading the manga and still enjoyed it though)

Citizen Bleys
04-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Zero no Tsukaima is also quite good if you have a sufficiently quirky sense of humour.

Aurey
04-18-2011, 02:15 AM
Kaiba (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=9178), Tatami Galaxy (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=11200), Paranoia Agent (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=3169). All are relatively short series but some of the best I've recently watched, Kaiba especially.

Jessweeee♪
04-18-2011, 05:12 AM
We're about four episodes into Genshiken right now and it's holding our interest. I think we'll watch Umineko next since we liked Higurashi so much. Thanks for the suggestions guys, I can now compile a list that should last me for a long while :</>D!

Carl the Llama
04-19-2011, 02:36 AM

When you say Higurashi do you mean Higurashi no naku koro ni? I couldn't really get into it to confusing iirc.

Anyways, I can't believe no one has mentioned my all time favourite series Shakugan no Shana especially the second series... that fight against that guy... I will say no more but needless to say it is fucking epic, a must watch for any devoted Otaku also not that I wish to advertise but for all your anime needs you really should go to the site Otaku-Streamers (http://otaku-streamers.com/) they have no adverts which is just awesome, along with a very very large collection of anime, (of which I myself have uploaded a number of episodes, including the epic Shakugan no Shana Second).

Jessweeee♪
04-19-2011, 06:32 AM

When you say Higurashi do you mean Higurashi no naku koro ni? I couldn't really get into it to confusing iirc.

Yeah! It's definitely weird, but 99% of everything is tied up nice and neatly at the end of the second season. Then again, I don't think I can find anything too confusing after watching Serial Experiments Lain xD

Citizen Bleys
04-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Don't diss Lain :(

qwertysaur
04-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Higurashi is a mystery series, so it's supposed to be confusing. Eventually it all starts to make sense. (Also you will never guess who the actually murderer is until the big reveal. :bigsmile:)

Jessweeee♪
04-20-2011, 03:03 AM
Don't diss Lain :(

I love Lain, but that doesn't make it any less of a mindsmurf! xD

black orb
04-20-2011, 07:47 PM
>>> Prince of Tennis, if you dont want to watch the whole thing just pick the National Tournament OVAs. Those are pretty cool..:luca:

Aerith's Knight
04-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Planetes, about garbagemen.. in SPACE! (Actually, pretty awesome)

Anyways, I can't believe no one has mentioned my all time favourite series Shakugan no Shana especially the second series... that fight against that guy... I will say no more but needless to say it is smurfing epic,

YES!

Remon
04-20-2011, 08:34 PM
Umineko no naku koro ni of course. Though I would strictly suggest the sound novel instead of the anime. The anime is still good though. Since you liked Higurashi you might like this :love:.
It's about serial murders, magic, witches, and twisted logic.

TrollHunter
04-20-2011, 08:53 PM
The only animes I ever truely enjoyed were Full metal alchemist, FLCL, and bobobobobobobo.

Gin tamas great if you're into manga. :p

qwertysaur
04-20-2011, 09:00 PM
FMA is so out of place with the other two on that list. :p

TrollHunter
04-20-2011, 09:05 PM

I know but still I enjoyed it, I was always more into comical and random animes when I used to watch them yet fma was just great in my opinion.

Remon
04-20-2011, 09:07 PM
FMA anime sucks. It's not true to the manga at all. Watch FMA Brotherhood instead.
Also Arakawa Under the Bridge is hilarious!

qwertysaur
04-20-2011, 09:08 PM

I know but still I enjoyed it, I was always more into comical and random animes when I used to watch them yet fma was just great in my opinion.
Also just to make sure, are you taking about the First Anime or Brotherhood?

You would love Full Metal Panic: Fumofuu. However I recommend you watch the first season first that way you know who everybody is.

Also Azumanga Daioh is something you should look at, if only because of Osaka. :bigsmile:

TrollHunter
04-20-2011, 09:17 PM

Also just to make sure, are you taking about the First Anime or Brotherhood?

You would love Full Metal Panic: Fumofuu. However I recommend you watch the first season first that way you know who everybody is.

Also Azumanga Daioh is something you should look at, if only because of Osaka. :bigsmile:

It was the first season, I'm not too into animes anymore but I guess I'll give it a look eventually.

Citizen Bleys
04-21-2011, 08:33 AM
Also Azumanga Daioh is something you should look at, if only because of Osaka. :bigsmile:[/COLOR][/B]

D'accord.

JKTrix
04-23-2011, 01:51 AM
Puella Magi Madoka Magica just ended yesterday, 12 episodes long.

Give it a shot, 3 episodes at least. Don't read anything else on it.

Trust me. It's not exactly what it appears to be at first glance.

Glad you're enjoying Genshiken.

Aerith's Knight
04-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Puella Magi Madoka Magica just ended yesterday, 12 episodes long.

Give it a shot, 3 episodes at least. Don't read anything else on it.

Trust me. It's not exactly what it appears to be at first glance.

Glad you're enjoying Genshiken.

Haha, Enoyable only because of someone actually killing off major characters in a magical girl anime. We all thought about it, but didn't think someone would actually make an anime out of it. xD

I agree on FMA:brotherhood. But man, was that a long series. There are actually only a few anime I can watch over and over and not get bored with them: Cowboy bebop, FMA: brotherhood, Planetes, and Clannad.

Jessweeee♪
04-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Yeah, I wanna see Brotherhood sometime, but I just recently re-watched the first anime, so it'll be some time xD

Mo-Nercy
04-27-2011, 02:53 PM

Also Azumanga Daioh is something you should look at, if only because of Osaka. :bigsmile:[/COLOR][/B]
I watched Fumoffu without ever having watched/heard of Full Metal Panic. It's still funny as hell. Highly recommended.

And Azumanga Daioh is one of my favourite mangas. I don't think it works as well in anime form, but I've heard I'm in the minority with that opinion.

I'll also back Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion. It's just awesome. xD

Shaibana
04-28-2011, 09:02 PM
aight... i guess i do like those 100character animes :)
i watch Bleach and Naruto..
i tried watching Soul Eater, but gave that up after 4 series...
and Full Metal Alchemist... watched till an episode or 35 but somehow i lost interest :(

Nice
04-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Claymore.
Cowboy Bebop.
Baccano.
Soul Eater
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.
TTGL (you might like it or you might not. I didn't)
Witchblade

FFIX Choco Boy
05-03-2011, 09:18 PM
.Hack//Sign
.Hack//Roots

Both of those have about 25 episodes.

.Hack//Liminality

Four episodes, all about 40 min long. If you're going to watch any of these series, you should probably watch the others, too.

Bobobo-bobobobo
Ruroni Kenshin
Yuyu Hakusho
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Fynn
05-04-2011, 04:35 PM
xxxHOLiC is very enjoyable, and looking at the positions you noted, you should like it as well. Though people say the anime is a lot worse than the manga, I loved every second of it.

Pandora Hearts is a nice one as well. If Alice in Wonderland inspirations are your thing.

Shaibana
05-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Naruto is fun (and alot better if u get ti Shipuuden)
but what anoyes me are the fillers.. most of them are just 1 episode story's that go totaly in the differect direction than the arc goes! also filler arcs bored me D:

In Bleach on the other hand they manage to stay more or less with the current arc. and in my opinion i enjoyed the filler-arcs
but sometimes they have a funny story in between (for instant the one with the 'persian' style..thingy.... RukiRuki) =)

Shattered Dreamer
05-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Wolf's Rain (My favorite anime ever you must see this)
Fullmetal Alchemist
Now and Then,Here and There (watched 3 episodes & it seemed alright got side tracked so have to go back to it)
Darker Than Black
Soul Eater (I'm watching this at the moment pretty great!)

Apart from that can't think of any

Pheesh
05-04-2011, 08:04 PM
You should give Aoi Bungaku a shot if you're after something short. The 'No Longer Human' adaption is really awesome.

qwertysaur
05-04-2011, 08:44 PM
The Bleach filler arcs are interesting if anything.

The Bount arc gets a lot of negative feedback but it was actually very well done as far as filler goes.

New Captain Amagai was OK. It had the third division which kept my interest.

Zanpaktou unknown tales was fun because Tobiume is adorable. :bigsmile:

FFIX Choco Boy
05-05-2011, 12:20 AM
So, I've been watching Highschool of the Dead like was suggested by someone else earlier... I really like it; full of action, fun story, cool characters. And episode 6 is... NSFW. Most definitely.

Remon
05-07-2011, 11:17 PM
So, I've been watching Highschool of the Dead like was suggested by someone else earlier... I really like it; full of action, fun story, cool characters. And episode 6 is... NSFW. Most definitely.

I love that show and it's fanservice :bigsmile:.