PDA

View Full Version : College

Northcrest
04-16-2011, 02:11 AM
So I'm a junior in highschool and is trying to figure out what to do really. I feel game design is something I want to get into or electronic engineering with a branch of game design to go with. I've always wanted to make my own video game and such and feel I should persue this in college. Though my question is how do I go by this and what college to go to. I live in the U.S. and am looking for colleges to go to that will help with game design, but I'm stuck right now. I also want to know if game design is something that I should persue to take. I was never too sure if that career would be great to persue to America and I'm just unsure at the moment. Really any advice would be great. Tell me what I need to know and what not.

Bunny
04-16-2011, 03:05 AM
From everything I gather, the video game industry is a bitch to get into and even harder to maintain. My best suggestion is to take advantage of the current Indie game trend and try to get on that bandwagon to give yourself some experience with it. Indie games are a pretty good starting point since they don't require a lot in terms of graphics or staying power (though some definitely have the latter).

As for what colleges to go to, I'm not entirely too sure which are considered the best schools for game design, as I never desired to venture down that career path. You can probably find several lists put out by various outlets that will give you a generalized idea though.

Jessweeee♪
04-16-2011, 03:33 AM
Just be careful! Many schools targeting people who want to be in game design are a total sham :|

rubah
04-16-2011, 03:43 AM
Basically the only thing you're going to go to school for to get into the gaming industry as far as making games is programming or hardware. Otherwise, you start out in QA and claw your way upwards. Anyway, Computer Science for the former, Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering for the latter (may vary by institution)

As far as programming goes, there's all kinds, and you probably won't even know what you want to do for three more years!

Unbreakable Will
04-16-2011, 05:03 AM
Just use caution and good judgement with what you do and you'll be fine :)

Also, my child was born in Northcrest Hospital xD