PDA

View Full Version : In The Face!

Pete for President
04-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Discuss your favorite or least favorite menu interfaces!

I always disliked God of War menu's. Oh my this one is hideous. Plus it only shows 1 option at a time which I think is kinda tedious.

http://webb-us.playstation.com/Content/PUGG/SCUS-97399/Site/images/load_01.jpg

I liked the FFX menu. The colours make it cheerful.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_QLcbs-EZObk/R0994kIZvrI/AAAAAAAAA_0/MyCCmieLxqc/FFX%20cheat.jpg

And you?

LunarWeaver
04-17-2011, 08:35 PM
I hated the menus in Knights of the old Republic D: I didn't like Metal Gear Solid 3's because it was a chore to bother with what was in there. I guess Final Fantasy X-2 had a cute display menu, though I'm halfway to surprised an American Idol winner doesn't burst into song every time you press triangle.

VeloZer0
04-17-2011, 11:59 PM
Of all of Square-Enix's recent failings, menus are not one of them. Though I have been seriously underwhelmed by FF10-13 I have to say the menus were very pleasant to use.

Pete for President
04-18-2011, 07:48 AM
Of all of Square-Enix's recent failings, menus are not one of them. Though I have been seriously underwhelmed by FF10-13 I have to say the menus were very pleasant to use.

I liked the dynamic animations in 13's menu. XII was just plain boring imo, chessboard excluded.

Soul Calibur 4's menu came to mind.

http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/soulcalibur-iv-ps3-screenshot-main-menu.jpg

Look at it: the background is stunning, but everything else is just ew.

Rantz
04-18-2011, 10:01 AM
What comes to mind for me is EA Sports games. I never play sports games anymore, but EA has pretty consistently upheld a good quality on the main menus in their sports games for a long time, as far as I've seen. I almost want to set up teams and stuff without playing when it comes to it. Later FFs tend to have pretty nice menu interfaces as well.

I can't think of any straight up bad menu interfaces at the top of my head, but responding slowly to my actions or giving no visual or audible response to them tends to make me hateful, moreso than bad looks.

Pete for President
04-21-2011, 08:05 AM
I can't think of any straight up bad menu interfaces at the top of my head, but responding slowly to my actions or giving no visual or audible response to them tends to make me hateful, moreso than bad looks.

In-flight weapon selection menu from HAWX2 comes to mind. Not that anyone here has probably played that game, but hey.

Another favorite:

http://thegamingliberty.com/wp-content/uploads/MGS1SCREEN.jpg

That gunshot. Oh my that gunshot. Instant nostalgia.

Bolivar
04-21-2011, 06:22 PM
What comes to mind for me is EA Sports games. I never play sports games anymore, but EA has pretty consistently upheld a good quality on the main menus in their sports games for a long time, as far as I've seen. I almost want to set up teams and stuff without playing when it comes to it. Later FFs tend to have pretty nice menu interfaces as well.

YES I remember when I got Tiger Woods 09, EA really knows what they're doing to make good-looking, nice-sounding menus, especially in high definition.

I really like MGS4's... the scene they show you as you go through the main menu... WOW... I'm not really sure why I play other video games...

Pete for President
04-21-2011, 09:47 PM
I really like MGS4's... the scene they show you as you go through the main menu... WOW... I'm not really sure why I play other video games...

Word!

Edit/Add: I hate the blitzball menu's in FFX. They are slow to respond and somehow the circle button doesn't work on every submenu in there.

Rocket Edge
04-21-2011, 11:49 PM
I agree on FFX. Surprisingly VIII's comes to mind, though I think that's more nostalgia than anything else. Black Ops menu is pretty terrible for PS3 standard, however I really like the game.