PDA

View Full Version : The Pre-Orderer's Dilemma

GhandiOwnsYou
04-22-2011, 04:16 AM
So I've come to the conclusion the I need to stop pre-ordering games, for the sole reason of being tired of beating them before everyone else does. When I beat an awesome game, the first thing I want to do is snag one of my buddies and go fanboy on it, but the VAST majority of the time, I can't, because they haven't finished it and I don't want to spoil it for them. It's a lot like going to movies with friends for me, half the entertainment is BSing about it on the ride home. Impetus for this one being I just finished Portal 2, and my friends living next to me is about halfway through. It's killing me.

Any commiserators?

Jessweeee♪
04-22-2011, 04:43 AM
I never get the money to buy games I want until six months to a year after their release. So I have the opposite problem :(

escobert
04-22-2011, 12:09 PM
I never get the money to buy games I want until six months to a year after their release. So I have the opposite problem :(

The Man
04-22-2011, 12:11 PM
What the two posters above me said, plus I didn't even have a current-gen console until December.

Wolf Kanno
04-22-2011, 07:53 PM
I tend to not have the same amount of time I used to have to play games, so the flow of new titles into my hands has dried up in recent years. I'm still playing "catch up" for several games across five different platforms.

It hasn't helped that I rarely see anything being released that catches my eye like I use to. Been ages since I've seen a game that just screamed out "must play this" instead of "looks good, but wait til its cheaper" . I think the Last Story was the last game that made me feel that way, though if Persona 5 or the PSP port of P2 got announced...

escobert
04-22-2011, 09:52 PM
What the two posters above me said, plus I didn't even have a current-gen console until December.

Not counting my computer the newest console I have is an old xbox and it's moded so it's mainly just used for 16/32 bit games xD

Yeargdribble
04-22-2011, 11:18 PM
This is what we call a "first world problem."

I just don't have this problem First off, I rarely buy games at launch just because they aren't worth it when they are going to drop in price fairly quickly. Even when I do, I rarely am finishing them so quickly that I can't be part of the conversation. I usually feel like it's the other way around. I feel like if I play them later there's nobody to talk to about the excitement. At least you're coming in before that window rather than after it. Once the buzz has died down you can't get it again, so I wouldn't complain if I were you. Imagine someone just now playing Portal 1 and then trying to have the conversation "Dude, she tried to kill you and you escaped.. it was so intense!!" ...

A solution for you would be to become part of communities where people are finishing them very soon after they are out. That's basically most internet gaming communities. There are always people done way ahead of you.

blackmage_nuke
04-22-2011, 11:48 PM
I dont have this problem since my friends are massive nerds and usually preorder all thier games. Infact I had the problem Yeargs stated with Portal 1. After people repeatedly talking about the cake is a lie and companion cube when I actually played the game it didnt come as as much of a pleasant surprise because I had grown tired of the memes.

Also sod off watching Star Wars V, "No, I am your father" was already engrained in my skull when I watched it, seriously old people ruin everything.

nirojan
04-23-2011, 04:18 AM
wtf...Reading this title i though this was thread about BS pre-order crap where dev's make whole levels and guns/specs for specific retailers.

Back on Topic: I don't really have the problem you do, because like you, I pre-order but I don't beat the game till like 3 months later. My back-log is big so only big AAA titles get finished quickly, everything else just get's piled on!

Jiro
04-23-2011, 05:24 AM

Yeaaah I'm in this boat. I'm too poor and so I try and wait for stuff. Certain things I go out on a limb to try and keep in the moment. Well Halo 3 and Reach were the only games I've actually done that; 3 was preordered, Reach came with my new console on release day.

Jessweeee♪
04-23-2011, 06:11 PM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/cutting_edge.png