PDA

View Full Version : Weird Al and the Internet vs. Lady Gaga

Raistlin
04-23-2011, 06:39 AM
The internet won, of course. The internet always does. (http://abovethelaw.com/2011/04/fame-brief-weird-al-fair-use-and-the-lady-gaga-saga/)

So Weird Al Yankovic recorded a song for his upcoming album which parodies Lady Gaga (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUxXKfQkswE), specifically by mocking her costumed antics. As he usually does, he sought the approval of Lady Gaga herself (though is not at all required to do so -- see the first link for details). Gaga turned him down flat, and he was assured multiple times that the command was from the bubble-wrapped one herself. So he released the song freely over the internet earlier this week, and the internet backlash was enough that she quickly reversed herself (along with inventing a lame excuse).

What do you think of the parody? It amused me, though not one of Al's finest works (from recent stuff, that would have to be "White and Nerdy"). I'm interested in seeing what Gaga fans have to say. Also, does her denial of Weird Al's request (almost unprecedented) demonstrate that she takes herself too seriously or thinks too much of herself?

ETA: Apparently there are also accusations that the song Weird Al parodied, "Born this Way" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV1FrqwZyKw) was itself a ripoff of Madonna's "Express Yourself." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsVcUzP_O_8) There are certainly similarities, including beat, vocals (how it's sung), and even the theme.

Not that I give a crap about such a trivial issue, but it is amusing to see both sides (especially the Gaga fans) get so upset over it.

Don't double-post, buttface. ~Shlup

Yar
04-23-2011, 07:02 AM
Most artists would consider being parodied by Al as an honor. It's one of those ways that tell you when you've "made it".

The parody itself itself is kinda lame. :/ He can do better. Much better.

NorthernChaosGod
04-23-2011, 08:50 AM
I rather enjoyed the parody, as I do most of his songs.

And "Born this Way" is a complete rip. :colbert:

Jiro
04-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Yeah I heard it was the same song as Madonna's anyway. It'd be disappointing if I thought highly of her, but I don't, so moot point.

However go Al. I agree with Justy; I'd think it was an honor.

Shauna
04-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Her manager supposedly never passed on the song to her, and the rejection was entirely on his part. She said she loved it. :p

And really... I don't understand people shouting rip-off when it comes to music. xD A bunch of artists cover, sample, whatever other artist's music. Lady Gaga has never been shy about how much influence she takes from other artists, and she especially loves Madonna. Dunno where I was going with this, but yeah. xD

Jessweeee♪
04-23-2011, 06:07 PM
Does Gaga even have the authority to approve it? Wouldn't she have to go through like...the record label or something? xD

Yar
04-23-2011, 06:48 PM
There's nothing to "approve" legally. Parody is protected as fair use.

NorthernChaosGod
04-23-2011, 06:56 PM
And really... I don't understand people shouting rip-off when it comes to music. xD A bunch of artists cover, sample, whatever other artist's music. Lady Gaga has never been shy about how much influence she takes from other artists, and she especially loves Madonna. Dunno where I was going with this, but yeah. xD

The difference here being that when someone covers/samples a song they acknowledge it. "Born This Way" sounds like a straight rip of Madonna's song and Gaga vehemently denies it.

Lady Gaga's Ears Are Broken - Amplifier (http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/amplifier/88918/lady-gagas-ears-are-broken/)

Raistlin
04-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Her manager supposedly never passed on the song to her, and the rejection was entirely on his part. She said she loved it. :p

That was the lame excuse I mentioned. However, that doesn't fit with the multiple assurances Weird Al received that it was Gaga herself who rejected it (which the excuse afterward doesn't even mention). I think ATL (the first link in the OP) said it best: "If you believe that excuse, you should proceed immediately to Promise Rehab for Celebrity Exhaustion and check yourself in for mercury poisoning."

Does Gaga even have the authority to approve it? Wouldn't she have to go through like...the record label or something? xD

"Asking permission" for Weird Al is purely a formality; artist approval is not required at all. He just asks for the artist's blessing to show respect, and is virtually never denied.

Ouch!
04-23-2011, 10:22 PM
The only other denials I can think off the top of my head are James Blunt and maybe the Crash Test Dummies. I'm not sure abut the latter; I know that he never put the parody on an album, but I never remember that being about them denying approval or another reason.

The biggest misstep was when Coolio said he never gave permission after Weird Al had been assured that he had. But whatever, Amish Paradise is one of Al's best. Totally worth ticking Coolio off.

Raistlin
04-23-2011, 10:47 PM
I love "Amish Paradise." That and "White and Nerdy" are the only two rap songs I listen to willingly.

NorthernChaosGod
04-23-2011, 11:12 PM
I was under the impression the only denial was by Prince.

Raistlin
04-23-2011, 11:19 PM
According to the first article in the OP, the only people who denied Weird Al and got away with it are Prince and Paul McCartney. I am not sure how many original refusals there have been, but I doubt there have been many. The Coolio case was where he got upset after-the-fact, after Al had thought it was approved (but still quite amusing).

blackmage_nuke
04-24-2011, 01:13 AM
Ive never been a fan of Weird Al parodies anyway. College Humour parodies are better.

Big D
04-24-2011, 01:25 AM
The only other denials I can think off the top of my head are James Blunt and maybe the Crash Test Dummies.James Blunt was fine with it, but his record company wasn't. They were concered that a parody of You're Beautiful would just lend to the impression that Blunt was a one-hit wonder.

As far as I'm aware, Prince is the only one who's actually refused outright. Al sought permission before doing Amish Paradise, and got consent from Coolio's company, mistakenly believing it came from Coolio personally.

Shauna
04-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Fair dues. :3 To be honest, the only things I've read about the whole story have been snippets over Mr. Shauna's shoulder as he reads The Daily What. I can't be bothered to make the time to delve deeper into it, as I find it terribly dull. xD

I find that Gaga has done a lot of things in her music that Madonna did first. As long as Madonna isn't getting up in arms over it, I don't think it's any big deal. xD Eh. :P

Old Manus
04-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Maybe Gaga just thinks that Weird Al isn't particularly funny. I wouldn't blame her either, really.

DMKA
04-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Well, according to what I've read, it was Gaga's manager who refused him, not Gaga herself, prior to even letting her hear the song, but after she heard it on YouTube she gave him the go-ahead. I'm not sure how true that is, but I do remember seeing her on some channel talking about what a huge Weird Al fan she is years ago, so I doubt she'd flat out tell him he couldn't parody one of her songs.

As far as the parody goes, he's done much better but its alright. It's certainly no "White and Nerdy".

Hot Shot
04-25-2011, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Gaga herself denied Weird Al, she seems like the kind of person who thinks she's the :bou::bou::bou::bou:. I bet her manager lied about passing on the message so that Gaga saves face. I personally hate her music, it's just terrible.