PDA

View Full Version : Portal 2

Shlup
04-23-2011, 10:55 PM
You know, you don't have to relegate Portal 2 discussion to the potatoes thread; we can spare the extra space.

I just started chapter five. Waiting for BJ to catch up; he got stuck on test 18. Which is sad 'cause he was waiting for me there 'cause I got stuck on I think it was 14... and then I passed him. So I'm waiting 'cause we're sexygay like that.

The original game and this new one are so... unf. One of the few things that lives up to the hype, I think. Can't wait to play co-op once BJ and I have defeated the campaign.

Crop
04-23-2011, 11:02 PM
It's really really great, and I can't wait to play co-op with it when I finally get a new controller.
I've completed it but I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, so I'll use spoiler tags.

I kinda went off GLaDOS a bit, I think she talked too much, and had too much of a personality, but that's ok because Cave made up for it. Cave Johnson was the best part about this game (and that section of the game was the most interesting part), Wheatley was also pretty hilarious. All in all, I was very pleased with this game, and I can't wait to run through with Developer Commentary on.

Flying Arrow
04-24-2011, 12:29 AM
Just finished a co-op marathon with a friend last night. Absolutely fantastic. Single player is great too. The end is just :love:

Shlup
04-24-2011, 12:54 AM
All that bouncing with the goo made me motion sick. I need a nap.

blackmage_nuke
04-24-2011, 01:25 AM
Had anyone else made this thread someone would have merged it with the potatoes thread.

Anyway major portal 2 ending spoilers:
If Wheatley is in space at the end we shouldnt be able to hear him speak, further more since the portal was shot on the earth side of the moon Wheatley wouldnt have been flung into the depths of space as many claim, he would eiter have been thrown back at the earth or at least into earth's orbit unless he were to bounce of the atmosphere

Great game though, the only places I was really stuck were the ones where you had to find a slither of white wall off in the distance to fire your portal at.

A theory about Portal 1 after playing portal 2:
Caroline is the one singing Still Alive and she is being sincere

If you run through with the comentary be sure not to run into any loading screens while theyre talk because that cuts off the comentary.

Aerith's Knight
04-24-2011, 02:50 AM
Had anyone else made this thread someone would have merged it with the potatoes thread.

If Wheatley is in space at the end we shouldnt be able to hear him speak, further more since the portal was shot on the earth side of the moon Wheatley wouldnt have been flung into the depths of space as many claim, he would eiter have been thrown back at the earth or at least into earth's orbit unless he were to bounce of the atmosphere

Great game though, the only places I was really stuck were the ones where you had to find a slither of white wall off in the distance to fire your portal at.

If you run through with the comentary be sure not to run into any loading screens while theyre talk because that cuts off the comentary.

If you are near the moon, you are beyond the point where you would be drawn into the atmosphere. So no, he wouldn't be drawn into the earth.

blackmage_nuke
04-24-2011, 03:25 AM

If you are near the moon, you are beyond the point where you would be drawn into the atmosphere. So no, he wouldn't be drawn into the earth.

But the fact that you shoot the portal AT the moon FROM the earth means that he would be thrown towards the earth when he got sucked out of the portal.

Shlup
04-24-2011, 05:13 AM

In like 2004 you might be right.

The temptation to click all these spoilers is painful.

G13
04-24-2011, 09:25 AM
I beat it last night. So awesome! I'll probably try the co-op tomorrow sometime.

I was impressed with the hidden (if you didn't look at them) Achievements throughout the game. I got the one where you take the cube out of the room by accident and decided to follow the unreasonable orders given to me later in the game just to see if there were Achievements attached. I had a good laugh when I jumped to my death after Wheatley told me I should.

I Don't Need A Name
04-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Truely epic game. Still waiting to play co-op with someone. The ending was spectacular, especially the turret orchestra[.

Also, the inclusion of the empty dry dock that could have held the Borealis mentioned in Half Life 2 Episode 2 is brilliant.

nirojan
04-24-2011, 05:34 PM
aww dammit I got Portal 2 on thursday for PS3, but I don't to play it until I've linked it to my Steam account (which I can't do due to the fact PSN is down). *sigh* Can't even Unlock the steam version unless I've linked up already....:(

STUPID HACKERS!!

I Don't Need A Name
04-24-2011, 09:12 PM

As much as I love this theory, the developers commentary states that Caroline only became used because they didn't want to employ another voice actor to create someone for Cave to bounce off of. So then, when using Ellen, it created an idea for GLaDOS' backstory. So she wasn't even invented when they made Portal

GhandiOwnsYou
04-25-2011, 02:10 AM
Amazing Game. I definitely had to employ the age old tactic of forcing myself to walk away from a troubling puzzle once or twice. As was mentioned here a couple times before, most of the truly troubling spots were simply not seeing the portal-able wall off in the distance/behind a corner/behind a fence. All in all I think this game was slightly easier than the first one though. anxiously awaiting PSN reboot so i can get coop on.

I have played a touch of co-op, and I had a question about Chapter 4 I believe, if anyone else made it that far before the net went down. Did anyone else's headsets conspicuously go out when Glados starts talking smack about your partner, and telling you you're carrying all the weight for the team? Me and my buddy could only play it once before the net went down, and we were really curious if it was a random error or programmed in to make the puzzle harder.

blackmage_nuke
04-25-2011, 02:12 AM

As much as I love this theory, the developers commentary states that Caroline only became used because they didn't want to employ another voice actor to create someone for Cave to bounce off of. So then, when using Ellen, it created an idea for GLaDOS' backstory. So she wasn't even invented when they made Portal

Retcon!

DMKA
04-25-2011, 04:03 AM
Good gravy some of the tests are tough.

I had to stop to give my brain a rest just now.

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-25-2011, 05:09 AM
So, I am done the game but none of my usual co-op friends have it yet and I want to try the co-op levels. :(

ljkkjlcm9
04-25-2011, 02:58 PM
I played through the entire single player Tuesday, 2 hours before work then 4 after. I don't think i ever actually got "stuck" but there were parts that i spent looking around at everything cause it was gorgeous. Then Friday my friend and i beat co-op in about 5 hours including dinner break.

Great game, would love to play/add people on steam!

THE JACKEL

Big D
04-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Brilliant game, just finished it a short while ago. Not as hard as the original in some ways - probably because of the sheer number of options created by all the new gadgets, and 'cause the original was such good training.

If I just had to find something to complain about, I'd say the humour's laid on a little thick at times. But really, it's kind of a stretch to consider that an actual downer.

If Wheatley is in space at the end we shouldnt be able to hear him speakSince he's a computer, it's plausible he's transmitting as much as actually talking. I'd say we're just hearing him as we would over radio or somesuch.

Random fun: here's the audio from all three corrupted cores.
Portal 2 Cores by betarepeating on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free (http://soundcloud.com/betarepeating/sets/portal-2-cores/)

Oh, I had a nasty-ass glitch right at the final battle with Wheatley: he didn't launch any bombs during the entire fight, except for the single bombs he drops if you stand right underneath him, or one volley that would always hit his bomb shields. Since that happened from the very first time I fought him, I had no idea how I was supposed to rupture that portal goo pipeline. I eventually had to resort to Gamefaqs, where I confirmed that he was actually meant to be flinging explosives the entire time. After changing the graphics options and reloading from an earlier save, the fight got back on track.

GhandiOwnsYou
04-29-2011, 02:37 AM
Just cranked out the remainder of the co-op. Finally caved, and me and my buddy upstairs played split screen. It certainly helped his cause that he got a brand spankin new 240 hz 60" LED yesterday. So Pretty. But I must say I'm a little confused and a little lost with the ending. Is this supposed to be prior to or after the solo campaign? Would you consider the whole human-bank thing to be a setup for the next sequel? and honestly, were you too just the slightest bit disappointed that the puzzles weren't harder? I really wanted a good head scratcher but it just never really came. Not to say that they weren't challenging and fun, I just didn't feel quite as challenged this time around.

DMKA
04-29-2011, 07:54 PM
Can someone explain the singing turrets thing portion of the ending to me?

Is it some Half-Life inside joke? I've never played the Half-Life games all the way through.

Big D
04-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Not a Half-Life reference; just an impromptu act of niceness orchestrated by Glados.

Skyblade
04-30-2011, 02:40 AM
Not a Half-Life reference; just an impromptu act of niceness orchestrated by Glados.

Although the king turret was kind of spooky. And it was nowhere near as nice as returning your incinerated Companion Cube to you.

Crop
04-30-2011, 03:14 AM
Finally found a full version of the smooth jazz that is deployed to help me remain calm in a difficult situation in 3...2...1... :p

Shlup
04-30-2011, 08:12 AM
Beat it. Hooray! I loved the song.

Who, pray tell, do you think he'd even be talking to? You're willing to suspend belief for this entire game, including the fact that you can somehow see him, but not for this one detail? xD

blackmage_nuke
04-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Who, pray tell, do you think he'd even be talking to? You're willing to suspend belief for this entire game, including the fact that you can somehow see him, but not for this one detail? xD

He's talking to the space core

DMKA
04-30-2011, 04:08 PM

He's talking to the space core

You think so?

I figured he was doing the shakespearean monolouge thing.

Marshall Banana
05-04-2011, 05:53 PM
This statement is false.

Depression Moon
05-04-2011, 07:40 PM
How much longer is this game than the 1st?

Shlup
05-04-2011, 08:01 PM
How much longer is this game than the 1st?

Uhm... At least three times as long? I think? I don't remember how long it took me to beat the first one. And then there's the co-op game, and DLCs.

G13
05-05-2011, 02:04 AM
I beat it in probably 10 hours.

There's DLC already?

Shlup
05-06-2011, 09:43 PM
No, they said the first one will come out "this summer." And it'll be free.

I Don't Need A Name
05-07-2011, 01:20 AM
Chell in the Rain (http://rain.nxe7.com/) This is wonderful. Contains ending spoilers

Shlup
05-07-2011, 01:38 AM
Y'know, I've seen this before [insert reddit snobbery here] but it's still lovely so thanks for reminding me to listen to it again. I loved the end of the game. <3

KentaRawr!
05-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Chell in the Rain (http://rain.nxe7.com/) This is wonderful. Contains ending spoilers

You know, if you didn't say it had ending spoilers, I don't think anyone would've been able to tell there were spoilers.

Shlup
05-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Better safe than sorry. I wouldn't've wanted to have seen that without beating the game.

Shoeberto
05-13-2011, 05:45 AM
Tonight I played up through getting access to the white gel. I have read no spoilers so far and I am so happy for it. Everything is fresh and wonderful. The writing for this game is absolutely top-notch. There's so many small things that you just don't get with other games. Of course, the puzzles are brilliant, too, and there's a great sense of atmosphere. A lot of areas feel like being back in Black Mesa from HL1, and that's pretty nostalgia-inducing for me.

I played some coop with a friend a few weeks ago, but haven't played it since I bought the game. I don't know how much longer I have until I beat it, but I'm already itching to go back through and look for things I missed.

Actually, in writing this post, I realized that the last time that I remember being this drawn in to a game world was when I first played Half-life 2, which is still one of my favorite games.

So basically, Valve is god.

Shlup
05-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Yeah, they did a good job at working "new" inventions into this game. The variety of testing environments are lovely.

Yesterday I looked up a bunch of Easter Eggs and now I want to play it again. :o