PDA

View Full Version : Sleep deprivation

Raistlin
04-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Do you stay up all night a lot? What's the longest time you've stayed awake? How do you act when you're sleep-deprived?

I'm about at... 31 hours after pulling my second all-nighter at law school to finish up a paper. The first was about a year ago for the journal competition, but I only made it to 27 hours or so as I then crashed for several hours. But before that, I can't even remember. I know when I was pretty young I stayed up about two full days just for the hell of it. I have no idea how I did it then.

For some reason I am still feeling rather awake. It is probably the drugs caffeine, but that usually doesn't affect me. Perhaps I have ascended to a higher state of being that does not require sleep. Though I have noticed that for the past couple hours unless I try unusually hard to pay attention that I to some degree have lost the ability to censor myself. Also a few times I have started to type a word and when I'm finished it is a completely different, unrelated word with entirely different letters. My fingers are cheeky little bastards like that.

Bunny
04-25-2011, 09:20 PM
I routinely go to bed around 3-4am, though this habit has been curbed the last couple of days to generalized horrible sleep due to horrible back pains. Because of that, I've been going to bed around 12-1 in the morning and waking up at 7-8, sometimes 8:30am. It's not too bad but the sleep isn't that great so it kinda takes away from the whole.. being on a normal sleep schedule thing.

The longest I have ever stayed up was my freshman year of high school during a three day weekend, in which I played Diablo II with my brother for 72 hours and some change. Afterwards, I got around 4 hours of sleep and then went to school. The best part of that was half the time I was on a dialup connection and still managed to stay connected the majority of the time (though my mother was very upset when she got back from her trip). I also did not drink any caffeine or energy drinks, which makes it automatically better than anyone who has stayed up longer with the aid of such trivialities.

Chris
04-25-2011, 09:28 PM
I have sleep issues, and I have always had them. But somehow, my body always seems to know how and what to do, when I can no longer figure it out entirely by myself. It becomes a routine.

Not terribly long ago, I had a serious case of insomnia, and I did not sleep for close to 48 hours. I remember feeling like a total zombie. I was able to function, but I don't remember much. Apparently, it was the worst I have ever been, but I simply cannot recall much from those two days. I don't recall ever feeling sad, down, or anything like that. Just extremely stretched. I realize that it is obviously not a good thing, but it always seems to turn out okay somehow, and except for feeling exceptionally tired, not a terrible burden.

GhandiOwnsYou
04-25-2011, 09:37 PM
I've done close to 60 before. I do not recommend it. It was a horrible period a few years ago where i was continually being switched from day crew to night crew with no reset days, working upwards of 14 hours at a time, with absolutely incompetent management. It got to the point where no matter what time I tried to go to sleep, I couldn't, so i went 2 sleepless nights in a row, working during the days, and finally crashed halfway through day 3.

Madonna
04-25-2011, 10:28 PM
I used to forgo sleep often while a child; summer was always longer if you stayed up. Nowadays, I am never deprived of necessary sleep. Trying to stay awake longer than twenty-four hours without rest simply results in me falling asleep.

I fell asleep during a game of Dokal because I stayed up too long. I think I woke up long enough to turn off the notification sound and IRC before I passed out again.

Peegee
04-25-2011, 10:52 PM
You need to sleep eventually - you'll go crazy and stuff.

I've stayed up for 60 hours once (2.5 days) and by the 70th hour I started to hallucinate. It was spring break so I just decided to stay up as long as possible bc there were no obligations.

Well by the 70th or so hour I started hearing conversations. In my head. Coming from outside the house. Everybody was asleep and nobody was outside. Freaked out of my mind, I decided it was time to go to bed.

Nowadays my limit is around 36 hours I stay up all night then go to sleep at the appropriate time. Otherwise I would have to stay up or 60 hours :(

Crop
04-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Me and my friend usually have a (very stupid) competition once a year called the Sleep Durability Test, where we both see who can stay awake the longest. I've won every time and I always beat my record. Most recently I stayed up for 50 hours, and I didn't really feel too bad, I only went to sleep because he had already, and the FA cup Utd v Arsenal game was due to start in about 7 hours and I wanted to be rested....not that I was playing.

In my now vast experience I find that using drugs, caffeine or energy drinks just makes me feel more tired after the half an hour high, so I never use them. A splash of very cold water to the face helps me far more.
I think I can crack 55 hours next time :greenie:

Peegee
04-25-2011, 11:22 PM
When I have to stay up I just overload on food. On the same principle as drinking caffeine it means I am running on high insulin levels rather than high caffeine levels. it works out the same but of course you can't keep eating.

but you just have to last the night. During the day you go outside in public where you aren't allowed to sleep (bc it would be awkward). Voila.

Shlup
04-26-2011, 12:28 AM
I've never stayed up all night for schoolwork. Just fun or video games. I think the longest I stayed up was 32 hours, and then I fell asleep in a tattoo parlor. I don't remember the reason for this.

NorthernChaosGod
04-26-2011, 02:57 AM
I'm managed to never pull an all-nighter for school before; I've merely stayed up about 3 hours more than I normally would.

I have gone as much as 45 hours during summer before dying and passing out on my friend's bed for an hour before. I was pretty good to go for a while after that too.

Raistlin
04-26-2011, 03:13 AM
I never pulled an all-nighter for schoolwork until law school. This was only my second, which likely puts me way behind some people.

Jiro
04-26-2011, 03:22 AM
I usually go to bed after midnight because you :bou::bou::bou::bou:s all have weird timezones.

My longest streak is 40 hours without sleep and I didn't even feel like sleeping at that point but I had something important the next day and didn't want to be tired (just in case!).

Whenever I go out to a party I usually stay up all night because everyone is :bou::bou::bou::bou: and it's cold.

NorthernChaosGod
04-26-2011, 03:50 AM
I never pulled an all-nighter for schoolwork until law school. This was only my second, which likely puts me way behind some people.

My streak will probably come to end during med school though. I'll probably be in the same damn boat as you are now or worse.

Loony BoB
04-26-2011, 12:21 PM
I dislike staying up all night and have only done it a few times. My record for staying awake is probably something close to 36 hours, and was probably when Dan, Lenna and Skwowwy were staying at my place.

I generally go to sleep shortly after midnight, although every now and then that can turn into any time between 10pm if I'm catching up on sleep, or 1-2am if I'm getting immersed in something.

The Man
04-26-2011, 01:12 PM
I stay up far too late most of the time; in many cases I do not even go to sleep until it is light out. I keep telling myself I'll start going to sleep earlier, but I rarely do. I can reliably make myself go to bed early is if I have to get up early the next day for work or some other commitment, or if I am horribly sleep deprived, but in most other cases I simply cannot bring myself to care enough to do so. In my defence, however, I have mostly been working the night shift lately (so even if I go to bed at 8am, I can still sleep for nine hours), and I enjoy having privacy, which is probably one reason I stay up so late many nights.

Back when I had school I would generally stay up until about 2am. When I was working the morning shift I would usually go to bed at around 10 or 11pm.

Peegee
04-26-2011, 06:45 PM
I usually sleep between 12-1am; sometime during that time I realize that I should go to sleep and then force myself to.

I prefer to sleep at 5-6am

Del Murder
04-26-2011, 07:04 PM
If I don't get my 6-8 hours of sleep every night I'm pretty screwed the next day. I am a man of routine.

I've never stayed up for 24 or more hours straight to my knowledge, though I assume I could do it since it usually takes me a while to fall asleep. Those last few hours will just not be good times.

Peegee
04-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Staying up 24 hours is not a big deal; it's staying up 36 hours so you can adjust your schedule that is the killer.

Even during the weekends I don't stay up that late

Cuchulainn
04-26-2011, 07:41 PM
4-5 hours a night i'd get. Get yourself some wee micro sleeps & you should be able to survive w/o seeing things

-JJ-
04-26-2011, 08:02 PM
I remember staying awake for 30-40 hours about 2 years ago, wasn't really a big deal. :P

I think I got my friend to buy me a magazine or something and I remember falling asleep in the middle of an Enslaved album.

The only other time was when me and my friend stayed awake on Red Dead Revolver's Showdown mode all night and my old man suddenly went to work and he was like "Hey son, I'll just have a cuppa and i'll be gone, don't want to interrupt your game" XD

Still, I have never stayed awake long enough to see, hear things. lol

Shauna
04-26-2011, 08:10 PM
I have tried to stay up all night a couple of times. I physically can't do it. xD I enjoy my sleep far too much, and need to get some sleep.

Actually, now that I think about it, I have stayed up all night once. 12 hour club night + meeting up with people the next day = no sleep for Shauna. Good times.

Peegee
04-26-2011, 09:24 PM
4-5 hours a night i'd get. Get yourself some wee micro sleeps & you should be able to survive w/o seeing things

If you switch to micro sleep, you are dependent on being able to get those sleeps. If you are distracted or end up doing something that takes up longer than 2/4/whatever hours, then you will have to start over. It's not worth it.

Yar
04-26-2011, 09:49 PM
The longest I've ever stayed up has been about 30 hours, but whenever this happens there is typically alcohol involved somewhere. I would never "willingly" stay up 24 hours or more because I really love sleep and I like doing it and sometimes sleep seems more appealing than playing video games or homework or w/e you guys' excuses are. Usually if I'm up for 12 hours then I feel it's sleep time. Without 10 hours of sleep I do not feel refreshed at all, just very very tired.

Peegee
04-26-2011, 10:08 PM
There's a running joke that I like to sleep. It's a lie (like everything I say). There's never enough hours in the day and having to sleep drains more precious hours that could be spent goofing around and being unproductive in other ways.

If they release a sleep pill I'll use it to slack off 24/7

sharkythesharkdogg
04-27-2011, 12:43 AM
I think for me it depends on motivation/situation. I used to be able to stay up for 2 days playing video games, going to concerts, ect. In the military I routinely had to make it 2-3 days with no sleep, and felt pretty good.

Now if I were to try to stay up to play a video game I'd never make it past 24 hours, but something more work related or physical could probably keep me going for 2 days, I speculate.

rubah
04-27-2011, 12:56 AM
never done an all nighter. I'm efficient like that

Cuchulainn
04-27-2011, 01:52 AM

If you switch to micro sleep, you are dependent on being able to get those sleeps. If you are distracted or end up doing something that takes up longer than 2/4/whatever hours, then you will have to start over. It's not worth it.

bollox mate. It works, i've been playing this game a while now. Doubt my word again and i'll break your fucking legs.

;)