PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars thread

Del Murder
04-26-2011, 05:46 AM
We need a Star Wars thread. I'm in a Star Wars mood. Just watched A New Hope after watching the prequels over the last few days. What are your thoughts on the moives? Anything you care to share?

Personally I always wondered something about the droid army. If those spinning droid things with shields are so hard to beat why not just make a whole army of those? Why even bother with the dumb infantry droids?

Jiro
04-26-2011, 06:04 AM
I have always wondered why they didn't just use destroyer droids. I imagine they're expensive to make, or something. Although the materials you'd save on the mass manufacturing of infantry droids would be more than made up by the sheer devastation the destroyers would bring to the table.

Other than that, cba repeating myself yet :p

NorthernChaosGod
04-26-2011, 06:21 AM
Two things:
1. I'm surprised that Eric is not the first reply to this thread.
2. Wasn't your post longer before, Del? :confused:

Marshall Banana
04-26-2011, 07:23 AM
For reasons we cannot explain, we are losing her. She has lost the will to live.

G13
04-26-2011, 07:58 AM
We've been discussing it in staff, Julian. I didn't even see this until Monda posted.

Monda, you break my heart with that quote. :cry:

Del, Jiro's dead on. The infantry droids were cheap to make. The Trade Federation wasn't looking to amass an unstoppable army in power but numbers. Where one falls ten more are made to replace it.

That said, the Trade Federation didn't actually build the droideka's themselves, but traded away for them. They were really expensive to make and I doubt they would have attempted.

Another bit of interesting information is that the Trade Federation was just a guild of traders, like their name implies. Dominating trade routes was a big deal back then so they had to build an army to defend themselves against any rising commerce groups (that's all speculation by myself. I haven't done a whole lot of reading on that as it's kind of boring, but nevertheless they had an army and they were in control of the routes). I'm not really sure what prompted it, but at the beginning of the Clone Wars Darth Sidious, who was, in a way, silently leading the Trade Federation, told Viceroy Nute Gunray to use his army on Naboo. I forget why atm. Basically they started some :bou::bou::bou::bou: and screwed themselves out of doing business with people, so they weren't rakin' in the dough, which means they had to tighten their belts and continue making the :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty, easily destroyed battle droids.

I'm a nerd. :|

Edit: Also, Del, if you're in a Star Wars mood, Wookieepedia ( http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page) is a beautiful place. It's like TVTropes, you can sit and read for hours.

NorthernChaosGod
04-26-2011, 08:11 AM
...you have normal discussions in the staff forum? D:

G13
04-26-2011, 08:14 AM
When we're not having wild, unprotected orgies, yes.

Jiro
04-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Good times.

Marshall Banana
04-26-2011, 08:44 AM
Star Wars: Episode 1 – The Phantom Menace | (http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/)
Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones | (http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-ii-attack-of-the-clones/)
Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith | (http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-iii-revenge-of-the-sith/)

CimminyCricket
04-26-2011, 09:43 AM
I'm homosexual for Star Wars. I have been reading the books for a few years now and I like where the story is going. If you haven't started reading the New Jedi Order yet, you should should.

Timekeeper
04-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Also, Del, if you're in a Star Wars mood, Wookieepedia ( http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page) is a beautiful place. It's like TVTropes, you can sit and read for hours.

Dammit Eric!
Although I already knew of Wookieepedia, this made me revist it, and then bam! where did the last 2 hours go?

G13
04-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I was gonna go to bed 5 hours ago. Whoops! :shobon:

Timekeeper
04-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Well, on the plus side I did learn a good deal about lightsaber techniques, Yoda's past, the Battle of Galidraan, and a whole bunch of other things!

G13
04-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Did you notice where it says what species Yoda is it says "Yoda's species"? xD

Jiro
04-26-2011, 01:28 PM
He is a strange one, that Yoda. I doubt we will ever unlock the secrets of his past!

There was a goddamn Yoda in the Old Republic games so surely they could've named the species dammit Lucas

Psychotic
04-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Star Wars: Episode 1 – The Phantom Menace | (http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/)
Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones | (http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-ii-attack-of-the-clones/)
Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith | (http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-iii-revenge-of-the-sith/)
Just want to say these are the best Star Wars videos you can watch, and some of the finest comedy the internet has produced. I love all of Plinkett's reviews but his Star Wars stuff is a whole 'nother level.

G13
04-26-2011, 01:48 PM
He is a strange one, that Yoda. I doubt we will ever unlock the secrets of his past!

There was a goddamn Yoda in the Old Republic games so surely they could've named the species dammit Lucas

Lucas is kind of :bou::bou::bou::bou: at keeping continuity intact. Back in the day Darth Maul was an "unknown species", supposedly the only one of his kind, which is why he was so scary to everyone in Ep. I. As the Expanded Universe unfolded he became labeled a Zabrak and now there's a ton of them running around.

Yoda was supposed to be a rare creature as well, it added to his mysteriousness. The last of his kind, the last of the Old Republic Jedi, that kind of :bou::bou::bou::bou:. Then Yaddle ( http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yaddle) appeared. She's another of "Yoda's species", as well as that one from KotOR. Lucas is just kind of floating along now. :-/

Timekeeper
04-26-2011, 02:17 PM
I was just reading through the Yoda's Species page, and thought that wouldn't Yoda technically have been the last known of his kind after Yaddle died?

G13
04-26-2011, 02:25 PM
I thought the same thing, but Yaddle was thought up from a piece of concept art of Yoda when making Ep. I. In the original trilogy Yoda was truly the only one of his kind, not just the last. As much retconing that Lucas has done, it wouldn't surprise me if he completely forgot until he had about four more Yoda's running around and just decided they would be a nameless race.

Edit: Hmm, now that I think about it that makes a lot more sense. I suppose I figured "the only one of his kind" meant that it had been a long ass time since the rest of them died out.

LunarWeaver
04-26-2011, 02:43 PM
I love me some Star Wars. I was nearly disowned by the world when Episode III became my favorite, though. PREQUEL TRILOGY OMGWTF. I thought that one was actually really good! It's fun and ridiculous and... Whatever :greenie: Plus Sidious is in it the most, and I love evil people. The guy throws force lightning and half of a building at Yoda and still takes the time to villain cackle along the way. He's basically my idol.

It's full of nice gems too, like, "It's over, Anakin! I have the high ground!" +15 to dexterity! Although that didn't help Darth Maul a lot, but he didn't have a beard.

Bunny
04-26-2011, 05:09 PM
I love Star Wars.

Worf is like the best character in anything ever.

Raistlin
04-26-2011, 05:28 PM
For reasons we cannot explain, we are losing her. She has lost the will to live.

Monda, you break my heart with that quote. :cry:

Seriously? I laughed. It is still funny.

Oh god, now I'm going to have to watch all of these. I love you and hate you at the same time.

Peegee
04-26-2011, 05:52 PM
"RIP Kurt Cobain NIN is my favorite band"

I cannot watch star wars. It took me about 7 tries to actually sit through Jedi (after I turned 18+) and it was just confounding to watch teddy bears defeat the imperial army. Nothing is coherent except the overarching plot (which explains why summaries are often better than the film) and I really only watch it for the light saber fights.

I remember TPM coming out - everybody and their mothers loved darth maul. Now he's a reincarnated joke.

This thread depresses me. I'm going to watch SW fan films; they tend to be more better bc I can filter by what I like to see and there's no angsty anakin emoing it up.

Dreddz
04-26-2011, 06:00 PM
I enjoy Star Wars but I wouldn't say I'm a big fan. I acknowledge that there is something quite special about the original trilogy and I really enjoy A New Hope. I'm not as bitter about the later trilogy as some die hard fans are but I really thought they were average anyway.

Del Murder
04-26-2011, 06:25 PM
2. Wasn't your post longer before, Del? :confused:
This isn't the post you're looking for. :shifty:

Ok, I guess I understand the explanation for the droid destroyers. If they have shields and can transform into a ball they are probably expensive to make. But one of those is still better than 50 battle droids, since even the Gungans can handle those. I also didn't know the Trade Federation bought all their droids. I thought they made them. Though I guess it doesn't make sense that a trade guild would have a ton of droid factories.

Here's my next question and it has to do with Palpatine's appearance. Did the force lightning reflected by Mace really make Palpatine look that way or was that a trick to convince Anakin? I felt like that was the Emperor's true face coming out, warped and twisted by the dark side, and he was somehow using the force (or prosthetics) to maintain his human appearance all these years. Especially since Luke, Yoda, and Anakin have all been zapped by force lightning and their appearances didn't change.

NorthernChaosGod
04-26-2011, 11:17 PM
When we're not having wild, unprotected orgies, yes.

You're mostly dudes. :onoes:

Del Murder
04-27-2011, 12:26 AM
When in Rome, do it Roman style.

G13
04-27-2011, 01:42 AM
Ok, I guess I understand the explanation for the droid destroyers. If they have shields and can transform into a ball they are probably expensive to make. But one of those is still better than 50 battle droids, since even the Gungans can handle those. I also didn't know the Trade Federation bought all their droids. I thought they made them. Though I guess it doesn't make sense that a trade guild would have a ton of droid factories.

The B1's, the main ones from EP. I, were cheap and shoddily made so they bought up a ton of them. When the Confederacy absorbed the Trade Federation leaders the droid army became a lot more varied 'cause someone else was paying for them, like those big ass walking spheres.

Here's my next question and it has to do with Palpatine's appearance. Did the force lightning reflected by Mace really make Palpatine look that way or was that a trick to convince Anakin? I felt like that was the Emperor's true face coming out, warped and twisted by the dark side, and he was somehow using the force (or prosthetics) to maintain his human appearance all these years. Especially since Luke, Yoda, and Anakin have all been zapped by force lightning and their appearances didn't change.

I think that's what Lucas was going for. There may be a better explanation than it was a trick, but it's never really been explained in detail. Wookieepedia just says "Windu used his lightsaber to reflect it back at the Sith Lord, which he used to reveal his true form", which can be interpreted a few different ways. He did kind of accept his "deformity" and tried to use it to his advantage though, like when he convinced the Senate to dissolve into the Galactic Empire he blamed the Jedi for trying to kill him, using his form as proof, and take over after ending the war.

My own personal thoughts on it is that when the lightning was reflected back at him it was his own energy, so it had some worse than negative reactions. He wasn't really very old so I don't think he was using any tricks to disguise himself, I think it was just a revelation of how twisted and evil he really was. It also burned him pretty bad, if you look at his thumb and forefinger on hos right hand they're charred black.

Bunny
04-27-2011, 01:50 AM
One of the local university's music professors is doing a lecture on the music of Star Wars. My girlfriend and I are going, partly because it's her favorite teacher and partly because it might be interesting. It's on May 4th.

She finds the date funny.

NorthernChaosGod
04-27-2011, 01:52 AM
May the fourth be with you. :p

G13
04-27-2011, 01:58 AM
It's Star Wars day. xD

Bunny
04-27-2011, 02:21 AM
It's so painful.

Marshall Banana
04-27-2011, 07:43 AM
When I was younger, before episodes II and III came out, I spent my whole summer vacations watching the original trilogy over and over and jotting down notes about what could/should happen in the next two prequels. For instance, in episode IV, Vader says in the opening sequence, "There will be no one to stop us this time!" I thought for sure that the next prequels would, basically, be about a (real) tug-of-war between the empire and the alliance, and that the alliance had interfered with the operations of the Death Star before or something (based on that one line by Vader). I dunno!

Just want to say these are the best Star Wars videos you can watch, and some of the finest comedy the internet has produced. I love all of Plinkett's reviews but his Star Wars stuff is a whole 'nother level.
I actually liked The Phantom Menace until I watched his review of it. XD He's very convincing.

I might have my own Star Wars day tomorrow by watching the original trilogy, since I'm off work!

:vader: :vader: :vader: :vader: :vader: :vader: :vader: :vader: :vader: :vader:

Unbreakable Will
04-28-2011, 04:14 PM
I love Star Wars but I've no respect for Lucas. Fucking nerf herder. :vader:

Breine
04-28-2011, 07:56 PM

Gotta love it xD

EDIT: oh and The Empire Strikes Back is probably the best one.

Jentleness
04-29-2011, 06:14 AM
Sadly, I thought Episodes I was giant disappointment after waiting 16 years for Lucas to get around to making it. I loved Episodes 4 - 6 and read the trilogy and Splinter of the Mind's Eye. Episode II was slightly better, but not much. I found it disconcerting that in the book, Return of the Jedi Luke finds out that Obiwan hides him from his father by taking him to his brother Owen to raise, but in the movie Owen is identified as Anakin's step-brother and they went and deleted the storyline from the book. After that I lost interest and never saw, and have no desire to see, Episode III. :(

On a side note, I always found it hilarious Obiwan went out of his way to hide Luke away from Anakin but then neglected to change his name!

NorthernChaosGod
04-29-2011, 06:16 AM
How does Uncle Owen's relationship to Luke change the narrative? :confused:

And I don't necessarily see identification as brother and then step-brother as different. Technically my sister is my half-sister but I never call her that, she's just my sister. I know other people that don't call their relations by the "step" part.

Jentleness
04-29-2011, 06:40 AM

And I don't necessarily see identification as brother and then step-brother as different. Technically my sister is my half-sister but I never call her that, she's just my sister. I know other people that don't call their relations by the "step" part.

You misunderstand me, Owen was originally identified as Obiwan Kenobi's Brother, not Anakin's step-brother. Once the new trilogy came out, they apparently took the blurb about Obiwan's brother out of The Return of the Jedi book.

Rostum
04-29-2011, 06:50 AM
Nothingness is embraced. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-uQWNd540I)

G13
04-29-2011, 07:20 AM
That sounds really familiar, Jen. I remember reading something about that online.

Good lord, Lucas was retconing even in the 70's!

Marshall Banana
04-29-2011, 07:33 AM

You misunderstand me, Owen was originally identified as Obiwan Kenobi's Brother, not Anakin's step-brother. Once the new trilogy came out, they apparently took the blurb about Obiwan's brother out of The Return of the Jedi book.
Weird. In A New Hope it's implied that Owen is Anakin's real brother (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVZHUKYR_zA&feature=player_detailpage#t=143s). Plus, Owen seems to dislike Obi-Wan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4pGaLe-UfE&feature=player_detailpage#t=234s) quite a bit, according to pieces of dialogue, so it seems weird to pair the two as brothers...

Oh, well. As Lucas made the prequels, he mostly ignored the history Obi-Wan laid out for us during the original trilogy, anyway.

NorthernChaosGod
04-29-2011, 07:45 AM

wat. That doesn't make sense at all. Fucking Lucas.

G13
04-29-2011, 07:53 AM
I'm fairly sure it was only in the books though. The movie made it very obvious that Owen and Vader were related in some way.

NorthernChaosGod
04-29-2011, 07:59 AM
Then fuck the books. :colbert:

G13
04-29-2011, 08:17 AM
They were the original editions, mind you. Honestly, though, smurf Lucas.

GL: "Ahh Star Wars. My best work. I love you Star Wars. *huggles* Who's a good Star Wars?"

SW: "Uhh... I am?"

GL: "That's right, now hold still." *drops trou*

SW: "WTF ARE YOU DOING!?"

GL: "I'm going to :bou::bou::bou::bou: all over you. Is that ok?"

SW: "Oh, ok. Yes I believe that would be quite acceptable."

I like to believe Star Wars wasn't actually that compliant, but we'll never know the full story, really. :(

Del Murder
04-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Let's do some Star Wars brain teasers. Only 4 characters appeared in all 6 movies:

Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader
Obi-Wan Kenobi
C-3PO
R2-D2

Only two characters appeared in excactly 5 movies (I'm not counting clones of Jango Fett as 'characters'):
Palpatine
Yoda

Those were easy. But how many characters appeared in exactly 4, 3, or 2 movies (not counting extended editions)?

Pheesh
04-29-2011, 07:00 PM
There's definitely not enough jar jar love in this thread!

Also, @del; jabba has to be one of them (either three or four I guess), I guess anakin's mum was in 2, padme was in 3. There's got to be a pretty extensive list though.

charliepanayi
04-29-2011, 07:29 PM
People I can think of:

4 - Jabba the Hutt, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Chewbacca
3 - Han Solo, Jar Jar Binks, Boba Fett (or it may be 4 for Boba), Padme Amidala, Mace Windu
2 - Watto, Anakin's mother, Lando Calrissian

Pheesh
04-29-2011, 07:38 PM
The senator played by Jimmy Smitts was in 2 or 3 as well, wasn't he? And if you want to be picky you can list council members and stuff, but I'll leave that to Eric.

Del Murder
04-29-2011, 08:08 PM
I don't count Jaba's appearance in A New Hope so he doesn't count. I too only have Luke, Leia and Chewie for 4 movies.

3 movies is a bit harder, since anyone who was in a full trilogy counts as well as anyone who was in two movies of one trilogy and one movie of the other (such as Boba Fett). In particular, random Jedi Council members make this hard. Like the conehead one. Also, charlie you forget an obvious character from the OT! And the Viceroy and his assistant.

Two movies is almost impossible to anyone who isn't a super hardcore fan. I think Bail Organa is only in two movies, unless you count his screams from A New Hope that Obi-Wan hears. :(

Jentleness
04-30-2011, 04:19 AM
I'm old school so I have to say for 3 movies the obvious non main character is Wedge Antilles and for 2 movies Lando Calrissian comes to mind. No one comes to mind for four movies, but I haven't seen Episode 3 and Episodes 1 and 2 just weren't that memorable to me. However, I will keep thinking on it.

G13
04-30-2011, 04:49 AM
I don't want to waste my time on council members, Phil. There's too many. And the only cool ones had their scenes deleted. :(

smurf it, I'll use them anyways.

The coolest Jedi known to man, Quinlan Vos, was to be in Episode III, but for some unholy reason they decided not to cast anyone for him. He got special mention at least, right before Obi-Wan took off for Saleucami. HOWEVER, his character was based off of a background character in Episode I, the guy sitting at the table with Sebulba iirc, so technically he appeared in one movie.

Qui-Gon Jinn would have "appeared" in Revenge of the Sith as well, but, again, Lucas decided to cut that scene. If you remember at the end of III, Yoda tells Obi-Wan about an old friend who has learned to communicate from beyond the grave and Qui-Gon's voice was to be heard. I like to think Lucas knew I would have :bou::bou::bou::bou: my pants if that happened and decided to cut it for my sake.

Jabba only appeared in two movies, I and VI. If you count The Clone Wars animated movie, he was in three. And if you count the remastered version of A New Hope he was in four.

Boba Fett was in three movies, II, V, and VI. Four if you, again, count the remastered edition of A New Hope.

Jar Jar was in three, I, II, and III, but in the... I think it was the 30th anniversary DVD of VI, you can hear Jar Jar's voice shout out "Wesa finally free!" in the added celebration scene on Naboo. I suppose in a way he was in four.

I don't remember if Wedge was in two or three. I can't for the life of me place him in VI.

That's all I can remember atm.

Del Murder
04-30-2011, 06:30 AM
Wedge was the X-Wing with Lando that blew up the second Death Star. He was Red Leader! How could you have forgotten that!

'I'm already on my way out!' - Wedge

Liam Neeson was injured in a motorcycle accident during the filming of Revenge of the Sith so couldn't do the cool ghost scene. :( So that at least wasn't Lucas's fault. But maybe that was for the best because what would he say? 'Uh, yeah sorry for insisting you guys train Anakin and causing all those Jedi deaths. My bad.'

Pheesh
04-30-2011, 06:31 AM
Jabba wasn't in V? Weird, I remembered him as being in there, but I really have to watch them all again anyway.

G13
04-30-2011, 06:58 AM
Wedge was the X-Wing with Lando that blew up the second Death Star. He was Red Leader! How could you have forgotten that!

'I'm already on my way out!' - Wedge

Liam Neeson was injured in a motorcycle accident during the filming of Revenge of the Sith so couldn't do the cool ghost scene. :( So that at least wasn't Lucas's fault. But maybe that was for the best because what would he say? 'Uh, yeah sorry for insisting you guys train Anakin and causing all those Jedi deaths. My bad.'

Oh, that's right. Now I remember.

"This is just a minor setback. There's still time. People come back from the Dark Side all the time... right?"

Marshall Banana
04-30-2011, 07:09 PM
Speaking of editions, does everyone in here agree that this is horrible (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfHX3mAbyrs&feature=player_detailpage#t=159s)?

NorthernChaosGod
04-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Yes, the least they could have done was add Qui-Gon if they were already going to fuck it up. He taught them how to do that!!

Raistlin
04-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Speaking of editions, does everyone in here agree that this is horrible (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfHX3mAbyrs&feature=player_detailpage#t=159s)?

My god, yes. Any fan of the original trilogy should want to see him less, not more.

Goldenboko
05-01-2011, 06:37 AM
I don't :bou::bou::bou::bou: on that actor too badly. Consider the script he had to deal with? He did the best he could! xD

Unbreakable Will
05-01-2011, 06:43 AM
That would have been fucking epic if Qui-Gon had been like,
"Anakin killed everyone....:bou::bou::bou::bou:, my bad guys. :monster:"

G13
05-01-2011, 06:54 AM
I read your post and vomited a little.

When I first saw it I thought it was pretty neat, I didn't realize so much had been changed in the original trilogy. Then I found out the original scene is non-canon. I thought that was pretty fucked up.

Carl the Llama
05-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Well I get the Star Wars news letter every time they send a new one out and have just got sent this:

Star Wars: The Complete Saga || May The 4th Be With You (http://maythe4th.starwars.com/countdown.php)

Now this is purely my opinion but I think they are going to remake the original trilogy... it says "May the 4th be with you" which I think has double meaning asin "May the 4th film be with you"

now I know alot of people and just about every other person in this entire thread (and no doubt on the board aswell) will not want to see the original trilogy remade, tbh I can't understand this mentality, to see what was originally a fantastic trilogy made into something that potentially could be better and if indeed it does suck then so what? its not like the original trilogy will cease to be, we can still watch them right? so why oh why would this be a bad thing?

For instance while I love ANH (and the rest of that trilogy) don't you guys remember that "fight scene" between Darth and Obi? I honestly think that could be 10x better if they remade the film, granted they couldn't do much back then as the "lightsabers" were actually heavy metal rods... in any case I don't care if you guys think I'm crazy for want to see one of the best trilogies remade into something with alot more potential.

charliepanayi
05-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Eh?

1. A remake would be the daftest idea ever
2. There's more chance of Uwe Boll winning an Oscar than a remake ever happening.

Goldenboko
05-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Please don't let Lucas rape the originals with CGI.

G13
05-01-2011, 11:41 PM
KaiserDragon, "May the 4th be with you" has been around for years and years. And if it was going to be a double meaning about a film it would be "May the 7th be with you", which makes no sense as a Star Wars reference. All the original movies were released in May, I'm not sure about the prequels, and "May the 4th" is similar to "may the Force". I think that's about as philosophical as it will get.

There's usually some sort of surprise on May 4th, but they're usually pretty lame and already known about. My guess is that they're going to announce which day The Phantom Menace 3D will be released.

But for the sake of speculation, I heard a long while back that Lucas said (to a fan, so it might not be true at all) that if he ever decided to make another Star Wars movie it would be about a young Yoda during... uh, the Sith Wars I think. That'd be pretty cool to see.

Please don't let Lucas rape the originals with CGI.

He already did.

Del Murder
05-02-2011, 12:44 AM
I think they should make the Thrawn trilogy. I just finished reading the books and they were pretty good and stayed true to the OT for the most part.

Carl the Llama
05-02-2011, 01:11 AM
I also forgot to mention that the email came with a picture... this picture:

http://www.starwars.com/img/newsletter/swshop/nl_blurayreveal.jpg

Eh?

1. A remake would be the daftest idea ever
2. There's more chance of Uwe Boll winning an Oscar than a remake ever happening.

what makes it such a dumb idea? its dumb to make money? and reguardless of how "dumb" a remake could be it would make a :bou::bou::bou::bou: load of money which is undoubted.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-02-2011, 02:28 AM
I admit I've only heard this through word of mouth, but I've heard the rumor that the original 3 movies were going to be remade (in 3d! yayy!!!......awwwwww) for about two years now.

It's come up in conversations with so many different people I just assumed it was a confirmed thing. I also think it's a terrible, terrible idea.

Is it just a rumor?

G13
05-02-2011, 03:53 AM
I don't think it is. I haven't heard anything on the OT being made 3D first but it's entirely possible. I heard TPM was coming out next year.

I still don't think that means it's going to be remade, KD. It's a picture of the original trilogy, it's a sharper image, and there's a blu-ray logo on it. *shrug*

The Thrawn Trilogy would be interesting. Del, have you read anything from the Dark Empire? It's pretty good, and I think it's what kicks off the New Jedi Order book series.

Del Murder
05-02-2011, 05:21 AM
No I haven't read them. I've never been much interested in the extended universe books but I read that the Thrawn books were the best of them so I gave it a try.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-02-2011, 05:22 AM
Y'know, I think a great way idea would be to make a TV series on one of the longer story arcs from the books series. Something like the Bacta Wars. There's been a lot of successful shows like Battlestar, and The Walking Dead that have had really good special effects, actors and writing. They could take a story like that and make it an engaging mini-series.

I know the books aren't considered canon by Lucas, but he's an idiot. You have a lot of engaging characters that people who haven't read the books haven't seen before.

I know it'll never happen, and I don't know how they'd work around the appearances of all the main trilogy characters. It's just a nice "what if" idea.

EDIT: I just read Guardian's post, so I guess this is the same idea with a different story arc. I just like Wedge Antilles.

G13
05-02-2011, 08:08 AM
I recommend Dark Empire. The Empire reforms with Palpatine at it's head and Luke becomes his apprentice to investigate just what the hell happened and he finds out Palpatine made clones of himself and puts his Force spirit in them, or some crazy :bou::bou::bou::bou:, to become immortal. It's pretty nuts.

sharky, I heard Lucas was planning a live action Star Wars tv show for 2012, based in the time between Episode III and IV. It's supposed to follow new characters and you will hear about Vader and Palpatine, but never see them. Boba Fett's supposed to show up a few times. It's been a while since I read the article, I'll have to try and find it again.

And the books are canon. The New Jedi Order series lays down the ground work for a lot of the other books and comics. All the games and related comics/books are canon too. There's a vast history to it now. I'm not sure about books like Death Troopers or the new SW zombie book that's come out, but mainly all the related material is canon.

The Captain
05-03-2011, 06:35 AM
It's been a while since I watched any of these, though the original series pretty much helped me grow up , I watched them so much! I remember my junior year of high school, one of my classes watched A New Hope the final week and one girl had never seen it or HEARD of it. It was pretty amazing watching her reactions to it.

As for your trivia question, I believe one of the Empire's Officers, can't recall his name, was in 2 movies, the Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi. He is among the only Officers NOT to get killed by Vader and is in fact promoted because his superior officers ARE killed off. Then, he meets an untimely end when the super star destroyer he's on gets hit by a crashing rebel ship. Feel free to correct me if my memory is wrong!

Take care all.

Marshall Banana
05-04-2011, 05:49 AM
I think you're right! I can't say for sure, but I think you are. I know who you're talking about.

Anyway...

Well, tomorrow is May 4th.

The Captain
05-04-2011, 05:53 AM
This guy:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/5/5f/Admiral_piett.jpg&imgrefurl=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Firmus_Piett&h=815&w=1050&sz=104&tbnid=behjM5nzEmKESM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=150&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dstar%2Bwars%2Badmiral%2Bpiett%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=star+wars+admiral+piett&hl=en&usg=__MDLqKzSFw7tNg2WzG7g_pwOvVSQ=&sa=X&ei=3tvATZfdHILW0QH_8P22Cg&ved=0CD0Q9QEwBA

Also, this is a tangent, but still relevant:

How long must something be out for the "spoiler" alert on it to no longer be active? We make mention of some fairly big moments in the Star Wars series, and I'm fairly sure nothing of it has been 'ruined', since so much of it is pop culture knowledge, but is there a half-life for spoilers?

Take care all.

Jiro
05-04-2011, 05:56 AM
By conehead, you mean Ki Adi Mundi, right? Plo Koon is one of my favourites because he has a yellow lightsaber. Aayla Secura is hot though. Twi'leks, mmm.

EDIT: What the smurf a whole other page. This post was aimed at Del's on the previous page.

EDIT2: I heard they were remaking the OT in 3D. One of the ladies at our NaNo party mentioned it. It'll be :bou::bou::bou::bou: :(

Also I kind of enjoyed the fact that they put Anakin in at the end. I don't necessarily agree that he figured out how to become a force ghost without :bou::bou::bou::bou: loads of meditation, but alright then. Qui Gon wouldn't have made any sense, unfortunately, because he had absolutely nothing to do with Luke. But he could be like "oh hey anakin bro you're a rascal aren't you ha ha yeah"

G13
05-04-2011, 07:03 AM
@The Captain: Yeah that guy made it to the end of the series. He was supposed to be more of an important-ish character because of all the sneaky things he did to get his superiors killed off. If I remember correctly he was the one to find the Hoth base and got in good standing for it, 'cause he went against his commanders orders not to.

Jiro, Qui-Gon was a follower of the Living Force. Through the Living Force anyone can retain their identities after death. Think of it like Christians living their life for God so they can spend an eternity in Heaven. In the days of the Old Republic the Unifying Force was the main Force philosophy. It focused on fulfilling destiny and looking to the future, something nearly all the council members strongly believed in. The Living Force was about living in the moment, but being mindful of the future.

So, Qui-Gon being one of the only council members to follow the Living Force became the first to achieve eternal life through the Force. He taught Obi-Wan in the ways of the Living Force, and, in turn, Obi-Wan taught Anakin in the same ways. The Living Force isn't just a Light Side view, it is seen as having Light and Dark sides. It's entirely possible Anakin could have continued to walk this path as a Sith.

CimminyCricket
05-04-2011, 07:48 AM
Does anyone care that they've found a whole ship filled with Sith?

That's ridiculous that I don't remember seeing anyone mention it.

Jiro
05-04-2011, 12:52 PM
It's just implied that Obi Wan goes off to become a hermit because it takes a great deal of meditation to reach the point where you can become a Force Ghost.

It actually makes some sense that Force Ghost Obi Wan would haunt Anakin, teaching him this :bou::bou::bou::bou: to try and get him to realise the Emp dawg isn't cash.

I'm sure it's plausible, I'm just having trouble putting it into my mental timeline. It's a sexy sexy concept though.

G13
05-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Yeah at the end of the third movie it's implied that he's to be training for this in his exile, but if you think about it Qui-Gon couldn't have known to train himself for something like that. I think being as connected to the Living Force as he was is how he achieved it (if you read his history he's pretty passionate about his views, and even shows it in Ep. I in his defiance against the council to train Anakin). The only person who needed to train and meditate on it was Yoda, really.

Marshall Banana
05-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Star Wars on Blu-Ray is the big surprise? =O

I didn't know it wasn't on Blu-Ray yet. Mmmkay.

Ouch!
05-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Maybe it will be Episodes IV-VI on Blu-Ray except the original cut not ruined by the :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty CGI.

charliepanayi
05-04-2011, 08:14 PM
No apparently the Blu-Ray will only have the Special Editions, not the originals. Tinkerman Lucas strikes again!

The Star Wars Blu-Rays Won't Include the Original Versions - Topless Robot (http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/05/the_star_wars_blu-rays_wont_include_the_original_v.php)

Marshall Banana
05-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Argh!

Jiro
05-05-2011, 03:27 AM
Han shot first, forever and always. Fuck off Lucas you idiot :argh:

G13
05-05-2011, 04:41 AM
This is some bull:bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Rostum
05-05-2011, 06:27 AM
I think Lucas is a bit of a Special Edition.

charliepanayi
05-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Surely people expect this stuff from Lucas by now.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Well, huh. I thought the books were not canon. Shows what know. I figured Lucas wanted nothing to do with them, because they're usually decent and he's a moron. :monster:

Lucas can eat a bag of dicks.

Rostum
05-05-2011, 11:49 PM
Surely people expect this stuff from Lucas by now.

I guess it's the same deal with Square-Enix. You had some great games originally, but they were mainly due to other people, then they get rid of them and start making crap - but you still hope they'll come to their senses because of your love for their old stuff.

Timekeeper
05-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Come on guys, this was supposed to be a loving and positive Star Wars thread :(

Should we make it a rule not to mention Lucas as all? :D

Jiro
05-06-2011, 10:49 AM
I think that ship has already made the jump to light speed.

NorthernChaosGod
05-07-2011, 08:03 AM
Nah, light speed's too slow. Prepare for... ludicrous speed!

G13
05-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Did you just quote Spaceballs in a Star Wars thread? :nonono:

Jiro
05-07-2011, 09:08 AM
I think the rules state we can ban him for this.

EDIT:

Any post made by one Julian Rivera, also known as NorthernChaosGod and occasionally NorthernChaosWookie, which draws dissatisfaction from one Eric Miller, also known as Guardian XIII and occasionally Mandalore, shall be evidence enough to constitute complete and utter banning, effective immediately and perpetuating indefinitely.

See!

G13
05-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Well if it's in the rules. :monster:

NorthernChaosGod
05-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Did you just quote Spaceballs in a Star Wars thread? :nonono:

Come at me, bro.

G13
05-08-2011, 12:27 AM
So it's May the Force be with you weekend on Spike or some :bou::bou::bou::bou: and I just caught the end of Episode I. I just... I hate Anakin so much. That kid was so bad.

Timekeeper
05-08-2011, 02:04 AM
It's working, it's working!
:stare:

G13
05-08-2011, 03:16 AM
"I know we're in trouble, just hang on!"

sharkythesharkdogg
05-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Space Balls is awesome, get over it. I'd watch that before any of the prequels. I'd watch it three times in a row, instead of watching the prequels. End of discussion.

"How many assholes we got on this ship anyway?"

"Yo!" x25

"I knew it, I'm surrounded by assholes!"

charliepanayi
05-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Spaceballs is mediocre, anything Mel Brooks made after the 70s should be treated the same way as anything Woody Allen made after the mid-90s, as if it never happened.

G13
05-09-2011, 03:31 AM
I've got no problem with Spaceballs, it just wasn't that funny. I dig a good Star Wars parody, but uh... :erm:

I found "Pizza the Hut ate himself to death" to be the only funny joke.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-09-2011, 03:41 AM
Spaceballs is mediocre, anything Mel Brooks made after the 70s should be treated the same way as anything Woody Allen made after the mid-90s, as if it never happened.

I've got no problem with Spaceballs, it just wasn't that funny. I dig a good Star Wars parody, but uh... :erm:

I found "Pizza the Hut ate himself to death" to be the only funny joke.

:colbert:

I actually found the "ate himself to death" joke sorta dumb. Combing the desert though? Classic.

NorthernChaosGod
05-09-2011, 03:45 AM
^Agreed. Combing the desert was smurfing awesome. Especially when the black guys had an afro pick. Oh, racism. :bigsmile:

WARNING: Contains naughty language :greenie:
YouTube - Comb the desert! (digital quality) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtkK3eijBso)

sharkythesharkdogg
05-09-2011, 04:36 AM
YEAH!

Keep firing, ***holes! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNcDI_uBGUo&feature=related)

Back to Star Wars, the need a sequel to Masters of Teras Kasi. I know I'm alone on this one. :jess:

G13
05-09-2011, 06:45 AM
I enjoyed that game. I couldn't for the life of me maneuver Chewie though. I always died with him. :(

NorthernChaosGod
05-09-2011, 08:21 AM
smurf that, I want sequels to KoTOR II and Republic Commando.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-10-2011, 01:15 AM
What about Sim City, Coruscant edition?

NorthernChaosGod
05-10-2011, 03:25 AM
The ones I named and Shadows of the Empire are the only Star Wars games I can recall liking.

G13
05-10-2011, 03:43 AM
Shadows of the Empire was the tits. I should play that. KotOR has a sequel, TOR. Kind of :bou::bou::bou::bou:, but whatever. I'll probably play it. And if you didn't enjoy any of the Rogue Squadrons then you're not human.

Jedi Academy had a pretty sweet story, wouldn't mind playing a new one of those. And if TFU3 is better than the second I'll be a happy man.

NorthernChaosGod
05-10-2011, 04:53 AM
I want a real sequel to KoTOR. :colbert:

And of course I'm not human, I'm a God. :p

Jiro
05-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Yeah I want a true sequel to KoTOR too :( The Old Republic is an awesome concept. It's sometimes frustrating when it parallels the future though.

EDIT: Post 9000 right here.

Timekeeper
05-11-2011, 02:28 PM
So that means your total post count is now... rather high?

sharkythesharkdogg
05-12-2011, 12:04 AM
about 9 times more than yours, and about 16 times more than me.

The posting force is strong with this one. (I'm sorry)

Timekeeper
05-12-2011, 06:28 AM
I guess I'll make my 1000th post here, for Star Wars!

Jiro
05-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Were you going for an Over 9000 joke there Nick?

Welcome to the four figure club. We're sexy.

NorthernChaosGod
05-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Were you going for an Over 9000 joke there Nick?

Welcome to the four figure club. We're sexy.

I'm sure he was, that's immediately what I thought of.

Timekeeper
05-13-2011, 05:48 AM
Yeah.
Whenever I see any figure from 9001 - 9999 I automatically imagine Vegeta getting angry.

Del Murder
05-13-2011, 05:58 AM
I loved Spaceballs. I see your Schwartz is as big as mine.

G13
05-13-2011, 06:08 AM
I think this thread needs to be Order 66'd. :stare:

Jiro
05-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Copy that, Chancellor.

NorthernChaosGod
05-13-2011, 04:08 PM
I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-14-2011, 06:29 AM
What's that make us?

Absolutely nothing!

Christmas
05-01-2022, 04:17 AM
One of the greatest thing to happen in the late 70s. The latest movie was quite a downer and exposed the lack of planning within Disney as compared to their Marvel Franchise. The leaked Duel of the Fates script looks promising but sadly, it will never happen. :(

I really like Rey as a character as well as Daisy's potrayal of it. However, her story/saga is quite a complete mess starting from the Last Jedi onwards. So much potential ruined by Disney. :(