PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy with comic book-style superpowers?

SuperMillionaire
04-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Would you like to see a future Final Fantasy game featuring characters with comic book-style superpowers?

Depression Moon
04-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Yes and no.

Big D
04-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Junctioning, the Sphere Grid and Materia make it pretty easy to give characters de facto superpowers. A lot of the characters' in-game antics are superhuman even without abusing the battle system: punching giant robots in the face, suplexing a train, leaping or falling impossible distances, defeating an army tank with a sword, that kind of thing.

If anything, I'd like to see a Final Fantasy where the characters' strength is a little more down-to-earth. I like rooting for the underdog, and it's great to see heroes triumphing through sheer dedication, determination and ingenuity rather than by unstoppable martial might.

Shaibana
04-26-2011, 08:55 PM
but arent those 'superpowers' a Final fantasy Fact?
In my opninion its a part that makes final fantasy final fantasy

VeloZer0
04-27-2011, 12:40 AM
When I think comic book style super powers I think woefully inconsistent and constantly changing to the writers whims. So in that case no.

The fact that they can use magic and perform all kinds of other crazy skill kind of puts them in the same league, IMO.

Jiro
04-27-2011, 04:22 AM
Do you just want to see them getting around in capes and underwear? :p

Shaibana
04-27-2011, 05:49 PM
rofl omghaha, rather not :P

LowCaloriePie
04-27-2011, 10:03 PM
I would like to see SE make a comic-book styled RPG. Not Final Fantasy, mind you, but a new IP. Although with their financial situation, I don't think new IPs will be around for awhile.

Depression Moon
04-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Do you think the Japanese would even be interested in that? That's why I was saying yes and no. Yes I would like to see something like that happen, but I don't think Square could do it well.

SuperMillionaire
05-19-2011, 10:03 PM
When I said comic book superpowers, I was thinking about superhero teams like the Avengers, the JLA, the X-Men, the Outsiders, etc.

blackmage_nuke
05-19-2011, 10:21 PM
X-Men

Fast regeneration? Regen

Teleportation? warp

Stormy Weather? Thunder and Geomancers

Absorbing the abilities of others and Stealing essence? Lancet/blue magic/Drain/Ozmose/copycat

Cyclops' Lazer Eyes? Quistis' Lazer Eyes

I think FF is pretty much set in the super powers department.
Also stop bumping your old threads.

Remon
05-19-2011, 10:34 PM
I can totally imagine Paine as catwoman :bigsmile:.

But seriously I don't like the idea much. It wouldn't be a final fantasy then after all.

SuperMillionaire
06-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Final Fantasy characters only have a few of those powers, but I'd still like to see more of them with some of the powers shown in the list on the link below:

List of superhuman features and abilities in fiction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_superhuman_features_and_abilities_in_fiction)

theundeadhero
06-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Well, Sabin goes Super-Saiyon when cast aurabolt.

Vermachtnis
06-21-2011, 05:59 PM

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k273/AKA_Gluttony/celes.jpg

I would like to see more of this.

Shaibana
06-21-2011, 07:59 PM

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k273/AKA_Gluttony/celes.jpg

I would like to see more of this.

hahaha!! they already do! :D

Mercen-X
06-24-2011, 01:42 AM
I believe the premise is something more akin to characters whose abilities are not just accessible at random or battle moments but a part of the natural ability of the characters which plays a role in the story and direct gameplay. Seems to me, a game like this would feel pointless (or pointlessly nerfed) as powers which would be naturally accessible would kill the need to strategize and would quickly become boring. I've always thought Final Fantasy was due for a massive crossover into another universe (Kingdom Hearts notwithstanding) particularly a world of naturally occurring superpowers usually completely unrelated to magic or equipment. Maybe we should just toss Wolverine into the Final Fantasy mess and be done with it.

VeloZer0
06-24-2011, 02:01 AM
I've always thought Final Fantasy was due for a massive crossover into another universe (Kingdom Hearts notwithstanding) ... Maybe we should just toss Wolverine into the Final Fantasy mess and be done with it.
You do know Marvel is now owned by Disney. So it could be closer than you think. ;)

SuperMillionaire
06-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Yes, just toss Marvel Comics into the Kingdom Hearts universe and there you have it.

Anyway, what about strategies in using those powers, similar to Marvel Ultimate Alliance?