PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a beginner?!

Jessweeee♪
04-26-2011, 06:46 PM
Last night I started FFV for the first time! Any advice?! Any important missables I should be aware of?

Yar
04-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Don't be afraid to experiment!! And play the GBA version. :p

V is my favorite and will always have a special place in my heart.

Jessweeee♪
04-26-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm on the PS1 version D:

VeloZer0
04-27-2011, 12:37 AM
Back in the day developers weren't as high on adding miss-able items as they are nowadays.

What I know of:
Genji armor stolen from Gilgamesh.
Play the Piano in every city you have access to. Certain events will preclude you from getting further chances to visit some towns. This only gives you the ultimate Bard song, so if you don't use bards you don't lose anything.

qwertysaur
04-27-2011, 02:47 AM
Bards are very useful in certain locations. For example they learn an attack that easily rips through undead enemies. It's called Requiem in the GBA translation, the name might be different in the Anthologies translation though. :p

Several summons can be lost forever if you don't get them before key events because their locations become blocked off for various reasons. These summons are Shiva, Shoat/Catoblepas, and Carbuncle. Also Golem might be miss-able as well. Ramuh can be found very late in game if you miss when he is supposed to be obtained.

Late in the game you can get one of two weapons. The Brave Blade and the Chicken Knife. Every time you flee from battle the power of the Brave Blade will decrease by 1 and the power of the Chicken Knife will increase. However the chicken knife also has a chance of forcing you to flee from battle instead of attacking.

Any job skill that does NOT start with a "!" is a passive skill. They will transfer over to the Bare and Mime classes, so the more jobs you master the stronger you get.

Blue mages are awesome. As are Time mages.

There is an optional boss late in the game who is also a Blue mage. There are spells that he does not know, so if you use them on him he will learn them and use them back on you.

The damage from Comet and Meteor is random.

During my playthrough I found every job useful except for some part of the game. Even the Berserker has it's uses. :p

Wolf Kanno
04-27-2011, 04:25 AM
Back in the day developers weren't as high on adding miss-able items as they are nowadays.

What are you smoking? The older games are actually more notorious than the new generation. Half the dungeons usually disappear after you leave them making anything you missed in there missable. :p

Anyway...

Experiment with sub jobs, its pretty fun to see what works and what doesn't/ Usually for me, I like to offset weakness in the beginning of the game by combining sub-abilities that either fix an inherit weakness in the main job (Armor or HP bonus for mages) or utilize abilities that give me more flexibility (Barehanded for mages, white magic on Knights). Later on, I start augmenting classes like making White mages that sub time magic or give double handed to Samurai to exploit their critical critical hits (you read that right).

Most of all, never underestimate a class. As qwertysaur pointed out, every class has some place or point in the game where they shine or some set-up that makes them far more useful than you would imagine. Also, several somewhat "useless" classes tend to have some ungodly broken ability you can learn *cough* hunter *cough*.

I would also recommend trying to get as much of the Blue Magic as you can, you would be surprised how useful it is and even more shocked to learn how some of the nastier ones actually do work on some bosses.

Steal... I'm not even kidding about this, you would be amazed how much crap you can get by stealing. V is the first game that actually makes this a worthwhile ability so sub the steal ability once in awhile.

Hoard Elixers, they are hard to come by and extremely useful in this game, simply because of the sheer amount of AP that Magic Urns give you if you give them their magic potion fix. ;) So basically hoard them until you get to the magic urns, they are located in one dungeon.

Search high and low for the summons, a few of them are simply random encounters on the world map, so explore the world.

WildRaubtier
04-27-2011, 05:07 AM
For the early parts of the game, the Monk's Barefist ability is probably the best weapon in the game. You can tear through the first few bosses with it.

VeloZer0
04-27-2011, 10:00 AM

What are you smoking? The older games are actually more notorious than the new generation.

I'm not going to lie, the Zodiac Spear made me so bitter that I wouldn't consider my opinions on the subject objective anymore.

*Laurelindo*
04-27-2011, 04:19 PM
For the early parts of the game, the Monk's Barefist ability is probably the best weapon in the game. You can tear through the first few bosses with it.It's a good idea to give this skill to a mage, because then they can conserve MP and deal sweet damage with their hands.

You also might want to try giving Double Grip to a Knight; I also like to give !White Magic to a Time Mage and !Black Magic to a Summoner.

You should always have a Thief in your party, because they give a lot of benefits (Dash, Passages, !Steal and !Escape, for instance).

Marshall Banana
04-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Blue Mage! Blue Mage! Blue Mage! Blue Mage! Blue Mage! Blue Mage! Blue Mage! Blue Mage! Blue Mage! Blue Mage! Blue Mage! Blue Mage! Blue Mage! Blue Mage! Blue Mage! Blue Mage! Blue Mage!

Jessweeee♪
04-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone! Blue mages kind of stuck in my head for some reason, so before I even made this thread I started with one xD

Depression Moon
04-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Did you get this off PSN then if so can I sue this thread too for tips, because I'm going to buy it in a heartbeat.

Jessweeee♪
04-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Well, since I'm using the Playstation version, it should be the same as the PSN version!

Depression Moon
04-27-2011, 08:08 PM
It's on PSN right now?

Jessweeee♪
04-27-2011, 09:51 PM
I dunno! Haven't checked.

Roogle
04-27-2011, 10:17 PM
The We shall Fight like Men!..and Women!..and Women who dress like Men!!! It's FAQ Time! (http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-v/129464-we-shall-fight-like-men-women-women-who-dress-like-men-its-faq-time.html) thread has an optimal leveling location around the middle of the game. That would be a good place to stop and level up any preferred job classes.

Jessweeee♪
04-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Nifty! I had just gotten to the library last night and my party got wiped out by that spell because they're all level 15. Time to gain a level and return. Thanks for the help, everyone!

Marshall Banana
04-28-2011, 12:29 AM
You can throw elemental Rods at bosses in order to do a lot of damage. For instance, throwing an Ice Rod at Magissa kills her instantly! Also, after you get a ship, there's a mechanical enemy on an island that you can encounter and steal Ethers (I think) from to sell for a lot of gil, which you can use to purchase lots of elemental Rods.

Wolf Kanno
04-28-2011, 05:05 AM
On the island you obtain the airship, there are some enemies that have the Death Sickle, which can be stolen and given to Berserkers to do crap ton of damage as well as random instant death.

With this, you can go to a cave near the lost city where the Earth Crystal resides and farm Metal Squirrels for AP. Otherwis its damn near impossible to kill those enemies with your current levels and job classes. One of the better places for AP farming in the early parts of the game.

Jessweeee♪
04-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Goddamn it I beat up all of those bombs at the Tycoon Meteor and the save screen glitch crashed the game :mad2:

Hollycat
04-29-2011, 08:44 PM
when you get to gogo, do not attack him, just sit still for about 30 seconds and he commits suicide.
master ninja and samurai for super warriors. make krile a white mage because she looks neat as a white make. when you get to the world trade center, dont pause before the second battle or the planes will hit the towers. (only people who have played before will understand this.)