PDA

View Full Version : Problem with vBulletin

CimminyCricket
04-29-2011, 08:05 AM
I've already taken this to the vBulletin help forum, but they don't seem to understand what I'm talking about, so I'm going to try here with people who have more than half a brain.

My forums has a few skins (templates) for the forum. But when you click to change them, for some reason instead of just going to the subdomain name forum.mysite.net/index, it goes to forum.mysite.net/forum/index

Obviously, I don't have a URL by that name. It's very frustrating that this is happening. Nothing in my script or settings has the /forum for a location. Why is this happening and how can I fix this? I've reuploaded a dozen times but nothing is working.

Also, when I type www.forums.mysite.net I get a 404 bad request. What causes this?

Rantz
04-29-2011, 09:38 AM
www.subdomain.domain.com is basically interpreted as a separate subdomain from subdomain.domain.com. If you want both to work I think what you need to do is basically duplicate your "forums" subdomain and make a "www.forums" subdomain with the same settings as the former. You should be redirecting one to the other though to avoid duplicate URLs. Allowing www at all for your subdomains might be considered bad practice, however - I'm not sure.

As for your main problem, just to be clear, we are talking about the quick style chooser in the footer, right? That script isn't supposed to do anything to your url apart from setting the styleid variable in it. What version of vBulletin are you using? Can you go into the footer template and copy the style chooser part and paste it here so I can see?

CimminyCricket
04-29-2011, 10:14 AM
I did not understand a word of the first part.

Ok wait, I get what you're saying, but it's only happened recently, it never happened when I first got vBulletin 4 years ago.

Fixed that part. :D

I'm using 3.6 or something. I think my license has expired or something because I've been having trouble updating my version. Yeah, the quick style chooser at the bottom. Where do I find the thing that you're asking for? xD

Rantz
04-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Go into the Admin CP and expand "Styles & Templates". Click "Search in Templates". Choose one of the styles that the error occurs when you change from, enter "footer" in the textfield and pick "Yes" at "Search Titles Only". In the list that appears, double click the one that's just called "footer". You can paste the whole thing if you want, or you can find the specific code block. It should say "quickchooser" or something in the block - only a couple of lines.

CimminyCricket
05-01-2011, 03:57 AM
lol just kidding I have it :)

<table cellpadding="$stylevar[cellpadding]" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="$stylevar[outertablewidth]" class="page" align="center">
<tr>
<if condition="$show['quickchooser']">
<td class="tfoot">
<select name="styleid" onchange="switch_id(this, 'style')">
<optgroup label="$vbphrase[quick_style_chooser]">
$quickchooserbits
</optgroup>
</select>
</td>
</if>
<if condition="$show['languagechooser']">
<td class="tfoot">
<select name="langid" onchange="switch_id(this, 'lang')">
<optgroup label="$vbphrase[quick_language_chooser]">
$languagechooserbits
</optgroup>
</select>
</td>
</if>

Rantz
05-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Doesn't seem to be any problems there. I'm kind of stumped - you can try disabling all plugins for a minute (Settings -> Options -> Plugin/Hook System -> Set "Enable Plugin/Hook System" to "No") and see if it's caused by one of them. If the problem stops when you do that (make sure to refresh the forum page before you check), then it's a problem with one of your plugins.

CimminyCricket
05-01-2011, 09:56 PM
I figured out which plugin it is. It's vBSEO. I'm guessing I put in the wrong URL, I just don't remember how or where to change it. :\ The search continues.

Edit:

So I'm searching and the link that it says is my 'main business url' is just mysite.com. :\

NVM found it! Thanks for your help. The url for the forum used to be mysite.com/forum so that's what I put for vBSEO before I learned about subdomains. xD

You're very helpful :c)

Rantz
05-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Sweet! I'm glad you were able to solve it. vBSEO crossed my mind but I couldn't think of a reason why it'd do that, but there you go. xD