PDA

View Full Version : I have a Confession... (VG OST Edition)

Wolf Kanno
04-29-2011, 09:57 PM
So I have a confession to make. I have listened to the OST for Chrono Cross for awhile and I still can't fathom how people consider this Mitsuda's best OST. Granted, the arrangements and melodies are beautiful. Its not a bad OST but I find it rather boring for a video game soundtrack, and several of the tracks bleed into each other. I have to watch what track I'm on when I want to know I've moved to a new track.

So this thread has two topics:

1) Explain to me what makes this OST superior to CT, Xenogears, Shadow Hearts, or any of Mitsuda's other beautiful albums

2) Anyone else have a high profile OST they don't care for?

Slothy
05-02-2011, 05:28 PM
1) Explain to me what makes this OST superior to CT, Xenogears, Shadow Hearts, or any of Mitsuda's other beautiful albums

Hell if I know. I feel the same way you do on this one. Not a terrible OST really, but nothing amazing. CT was way better.

2) Anyone else have a high profile OST they don't care for?

Final Fantasy VIII jumps to mind. Certainly not hailed as one of the greatest soundtracks ever in general, but it is an FF soundtrack which carries certain expectations. It's the only Uematsu soundtrack that I hate as a whole though. Most of the tracks bore me to death.

I'm having a hard time thinking of any others at the moment, but I'll also say I haven't enjoyed any Koji Kondo composed soundtrack since the N64 I think and even those weren't necessarily great music, they just suited the game making them good soundtracks. I can't think of anything original he's done since that stood out to me, and I'm also getting tired of the endless reuse of classic themes from my childhood.

VeloZer0
05-03-2011, 01:43 AM
I like different albums for different reasons, so though it isn't a front runner I wouldn't consider it any lower than other pieces of his work. (Though a full CT orchestral album would be hard to argue with)

High profile album that I don't like,... hm I don't think so. Lots of ones that I wouldn't consider listening to outside their games, but not ones that I don't like.

Jessweeee♪
05-03-2011, 05:29 AM
If I haven't played the game it's from, then chances are I'm not fond of it. Video game soundtracks are 75% less awesome when they haven't been heard in context first.