PDA

View Full Version : NBA Playoffs

Pheesh
05-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Pretty pissed off after Celtics - Heat Game 1, but I'm still holding on to hopes of Celtics in 6 :erm:

I caught the start of Memphis - OKC and Conley looked like he was firing, same said for Zach Randolf who I always thought was a bit meh, but he's really living up to that contract atm. I don't think I could back Memphis to win it, but they're definitely looking worthy and I'm rooting for them even though I do like Oklahoma.

I think Lakers will breeze through easily enough, and I think they'll breeze through whoever they play in the next round as well. Bynum is really tearing it up at the moment, his improvement (maybe not improvement, but more so 'lack of injury trouble') is definitely making up for Kobe's age, and if Pau Gasol decides to start playing like he was at the start of the year then I don't think Dallas, Memphis or OKC stand any kind of chance.

Interested to see the Chicago - Atlanta series, if Chicago's defense is firing then Atlanta will probably hit a brick wall that I don't think they're good enough to climb over. That said, they have some crazy momentum going in to the series, a shot blocker that should make it at least a little bit tough for Rose, and Boozer is injured I believe (I still say he kinda sucks anyway, but 10-15 points and 10 rebounds might be a difference maker).

Del Murder
05-02-2011, 07:18 PM
I've been trying to follow the NBA playoffs but they are just too long. You do not need a 7 game series for each round of a 4 round playoff. You also do not need at least one day off between each game in a series. These guys are professionals and get paid a lot of money. They can play some back-to-back games. Also, you do not need every single game to run unapposed on television in the first round. Finally, 16 teams in the playoffs in a 30 team league is ridiculous. The NBA playoffs fun for almost a full 2 months. That's almost a third of a season. It's crazy!

That being said, when it gets down to the final teams it does get better. The Heat and Celtics is a good series and the series we all wanted to see in the East. The winner will probably go to the Finals. I agree that the Lakers will probably waltz into the Finals like they usually do. But I'm hoping OKC makes it all the way because I like small market teams. I hate the Lakers based on geography and the Heat based on principle, so I'm hoping Boston or Chicago or OKC somehow win it all, but Lakers over Heat is my prediction.

Raistlin
05-03-2011, 01:42 AM
I am whole-heartedly with Del. It is about impossible to care about the NBA playoffs until the finals... and even then it's tough to care until game 4 or 5.

Pheesh
05-03-2011, 03:32 AM
Eh, I suppose they are long if you're more interested in the final outcome, but my mind will always flash back to something like the Bos - Chi seven game series a few years ago. Not only would back to back games in that instance have messed that series up (there were 7 overtime periods if I remember right), but it's a series that goes down to the wire like that that makes the playoffs so awesome. It's also no worse a culprit of this than baseball or ice hockey, I think it's something you can get used to easy enough, even if you can't find the time to watch every game.

In other news, looks like Atlanta is going to have game one over the bulls. With all the Rose hype and number one seed stuff it's hard to remember that they're still not that experienced a playoff contender. Be interesting to see how they bounce back.

Del Murder
05-03-2011, 03:38 AM
Yeah, and I'll never forget when Golden State offed Dallas. WE BELIEVE

But for every series like that in the first round there are usually 7 others that are snoozers. So play them all at once!

The Captain
05-03-2011, 06:24 AM
Well well. Both game one shockers! Could this be the year the Mavs finally come through in the clutch? Could Atlanta really shock the Bulls?

I've been surprised by how balanced most of the teams are this year. In previous playoffs, there always seems to be one or two teams that are foregone conclusions to make the finals. This year, between Memphis beating the Spurs, who yes are old, and the Hawks beating the Magic, who are overrated, we have some new faces and players.

I still think the Thunder could be a good sleeper team but Memphis looked really good in game one against them.

I miss the old Best of 5 first rounds, back when the Knicks used to actually be a side capable of winning a round or two.

Most importantly, I miss this:

YouTube - 'ORIGINAL' NBA on NBC Theme - Roundball Rock - John Tesh - facebook.com/JohnTesh (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_h7Lm7C9Nk)

Take care all.

Kirobaito
05-05-2011, 02:27 AM
After game 4 against the Trailblazers I wrote a poem describing my feelings. It stormed terribly that night, and I was feeling emo. "I only trust lightning and rain," read the first line.

The Mavs will always do the complete opposite of what they're supposed to, so by that logic they should kick ass against the Lakers, right? One down, three to go. And Caron Butler waiting in the wings to give them their jolt of energy against the.... Grizzlies?????

EDIT: Two down, two to go. I really wish Artest wasn't going to be suspended for what should be the rest of the freaking series, because he is an awful basketball player.

The Captain
05-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Gotta say, Mavs have looked the better team. Would very much enjoy a Laker-less Finals.

Take care all.

Kirobaito
05-05-2011, 05:25 PM
The Mavs and Lakers had the exact same record in the regular season, except the Lakers had exactly ONE injury the entire year (their fourth-best player, Bynum, missing 20 games), and the Mavs are yet to play a game with a healthy roster. If the Mavs had been healthy (i.e., not lacking Butler since New Years Day, or didn't go 2-7 minus Dirk), they would have been the 1 seed in the West.

Mavs just look better than them. Have the Lakers run a single pick and roll the entire series? Looks like the offensive game plan is isos for Kobe and feeble attempts at the triangle.

Del Murder
05-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Somehow I knew that the Mavs going up 2-0 would bring KB back from the void.

GO MAVS

escobert
05-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Go Celtics!

Kirobaito
05-06-2011, 05:05 AM
Somehow I knew that the Mavs going up 2-0 would bring KB back from the void.

GO MAVS
Technically the first post occurred after game 1, and the thread wasn't even started until the afternoon of game 1!

I lost my Mavericks hat on Monday, too. I had had it since the 10th grade. It started out blue, but the blue faded to purple, and then the purple partially faded to brown. The brim had become unseamed. It was the perfect hat, and I foolishly left it at Half-Price Books. Maybe letting that hat go is what the Mavs always needed.

Del Murder
05-06-2011, 05:16 AM
I think you can read very much into that.

Too bad you didn't also lose your Cowboy hat.

escobert
05-06-2011, 12:09 PM
if that's the case we're keeping his cowboy hat locked on o him at all times :p

The Captain
05-06-2011, 05:20 PM
The difference is the Mavs have a Hall Of Fame, top 30 of all time player. The Cowboys really don't.

Take care all.

Kirobaito
05-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Owned.

Pheesh
05-12-2011, 03:28 AM
Fuck off Miami, nobody in the whole NBA likes you so go die in a hole.

/rage

Kirobaito
05-12-2011, 03:31 AM
Fuck off Miami, nobody in the whole NBA likes you so go die in a hole.

/rage
I can't explain how pissed I'll be if the Mavs happen to make the Finals again only to play that effin' team again.

Pheesh
05-12-2011, 03:40 AM
If Miami win the finals this year I quit life, forever.

(Go Bruins!)

escobert
05-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Go Bulls or Mavs and uh yeah Go Bruins. I hate you Miami :mad2:

Pheesh
06-13-2011, 04:47 AM
Thank. God.

I have a new found respect for Dallas, who I honestly thought were going to get swept by the lakers.

Kirobaito
06-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Holy smurf.

Del Murder
06-14-2011, 06:43 AM
You might want to change your pants, KB.

escobert
06-14-2011, 09:55 PM
Congrats Mavs, and congrats KB.

Oh and, f you Lebron you ain't got :bou::bou::bou::bou: on Jordan

now, GO BRUINS AND BEAT THEM CANADIA PEOPLEZ

Del Murder
06-15-2011, 09:34 PM
I heard Mark Cuban is going to foot the bill for the parade because taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for it. Does the city usually pay for the parades? That's smurfed up! I want my money back from the Giants' parade. I don't even like the Giants.

escobert
06-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Yeah usually the city foots the bill for it.

Kirobaito
06-16-2011, 03:50 AM
I heard Mark Cuban is going to foot the bill for the parade because taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for it. Does the city usually pay for the parades? That's smurfed up! I want my money back from the Giants' parade. I don't even like the Giants.
I have no idea. I actually hadn't even thought about who it is that pays for rings. Apparently the owners do.

Today is such a lovely day. Good still triumphs over evil in this crazy world. Perhaps five years belatedly, but still.

The Captain
06-16-2011, 03:56 AM
Some owners foot the bill, usually the city does.

I am frankly more shocked by how soft-spoken Cuban has been. THAT is the single greatest upset of these playoffs.

Bonus question: Are we headed for an NBA lockout?

Take care all.

Del Murder
06-16-2011, 04:06 AM
Maybe he still remembers the other greatest upset in the NBA playoffs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbn72J8ass4).

Pheesh
06-16-2011, 04:07 AM
I'm going to guess we can look forward to some basketball in January. But yeah, just guessing for fun.