PDA

View Full Version : Future Series Staples

Loony BoB
05-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Chocobos, Mogs, Airships, Cid... there are a bunch of series staples in the Final Fantasy series. Even many of the weapons, summons and even the music can be found in multiple games. So... what element that is not yet recurring would you like to make a comeback in a game or two?

Oddly, despite me not holding FFVIII as the best game of the series, most of my picks are from there. I would love to see the return of the Moomba and the Shumi Tribe in another game, likewise I wouldn't mind Triple Triad making a return.

You?

Elpizo
05-03-2011, 04:29 PM
I don't know if this counts, but I'd like to see Zidane's thief swords used again. They're pretty interestingly designed weapons, and quite cool, too, yet only IX uses them so far. I guess you could say they're Zidane-specific weapons, but even then, I still would like to see another game giving us the option of using them.

Fynn
05-03-2011, 06:37 PM
I don't know if this counts, but I'd like to see Zidane's thief swords used again. They're pretty interestingly designed weapons, and quite cool, too, yet only IX uses them so far. I guess you could say they're Zidane-specific weapons, but even then, I still would like to see another game giving us the option of using them.

There's always Chrono Cross.

Marshall Banana
05-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Dancers!

Hollycat
05-03-2011, 08:12 PM
TT
moombas
dwarves
the moon
mini games

qwertysaur
05-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Pictomancers. :bigsmile:

Roogle
05-04-2011, 12:06 AM
Dancers!

I agree. Dancer is one of my favorite job classes, but it has yet to be presented consistently in its sporadic appearances across the series.

Jiro
05-04-2011, 12:42 AM
Somewhat off topic, but optional towns. The Final Fantasy series has you go everywhere but there have been, on occasion, nice places which are completely optional.

Wutai, one of the Mysidias, these sorts of places that are there but aren't required at any point.

Basically, I want more sidequests and more optional areas.

qwertysaur
05-04-2011, 01:15 AM
Somewhat off topic, but optional towns. The Final Fantasy series has you go everywhere but there have been, on occasion, nice places which are completely optional.

Wutai, one of the Mysidias, these sorts of places that are there but aren't required at any point.

Both Mysidias are required at some point in their game.

Also there need to be more pupu and qu. :quina:

Flying Arrow
05-04-2011, 01:41 AM

Ditto. Some more great optional locations: Shumi Village and Daguerreo. Really, really great places with enjoyable side quests and chillin' atmospheres. FFVI nailed optional content like 15 years ago - I'd like to see some of that on the all-powerful PS3 please, SE.

Marshall Banana
05-04-2011, 03:06 AM
Dancers!

I agree. Dancer is one of my favorite job classes, but it has yet to be presented consistently in its sporadic appearances across the series.
Also dancing girls in towns.

Wolf Kanno
05-04-2011, 03:39 AM
I'd love to see the Moombas come back, I also liked having the control of Critical hits with Squall's gunblade, maybe more interactive elements in combat to make battles more engaging.

I want Zidane's thief skills, the thief is an okay class unless they give them some BS stats and weapons like Locke and Zidane but I genuinely loved Zidane's thief skills, especially "What's That?!" and his ability to see what item an enemy is carrying, makes stealing way more efficient.

I actually like the Mark system from XII, but I want it presented like XII did it (from the beginning and goes through the whole game, not this last minute quest crap FFX and XIII) but I would scale it down and just make it one of many quests/side missions and not the only major one in the game. It would be easy to attach story segments to these types of quest, to flesh out the cast or introduce optional locations.

More team up abilities, Palom and Porom had it going and its sad we had to wait five games later to get Magic Sword in FFIX. It doesn't have to be as extensive as Chrono Trigger's or Suikoden's systems but just getting a few perks from having certain party combinations is a fun mechanic very few games really utilize.

Jiro
05-04-2011, 05:31 AM

Really? Well, I ended up in Mysidia in II at the start of the game and was stuck there because I was too weak to run back.

qwertysaur
05-04-2011, 05:34 AM

Really? Well, I ended up in Mysidia in II at the start of the game and was stuck there because I was too weak to run back.
FF II tells you that you went the wrong way by having the monsters kill you. :p

You go to Mysidia much later in the game.

Loony BoB
05-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Haha, I did what Jiro did too and had to go back to an earlier save. I'm back in Mysidia now though. Still early, I think, as I can't really do much at the moment. I'm supposed to be storming a castle or something but I got distracted. :p

Laddy
05-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Frocobos.

Kaie
05-05-2011, 01:47 PM

Agreed. I also like the idea of Moombas returning, they were pretty cute.

I'd also like to see the return of Edgar's castle in some form :jess:

qwertysaur
05-05-2011, 02:26 PM

I would die laughing if it just popped up one day randomly to say hi.

Flying Arrow
05-05-2011, 08:32 PM

Whoa. This got me thinking about references, which naturally got me thinking about FF9. I've always wondered what the point of Kuja having an underground castle in the desert was...

My mind is officially blown.

Kaie
05-06-2011, 01:02 AM

Whoa. This got me thinking about references, which naturally got me thinking about FF9. I've always wondered what the point of Kuja having an underground castle in the desert was...

My mind is officially blown.

Mine now too :eek:

Jiro
05-06-2011, 10:41 AM
xD fuck add another to that. How did I not think of that before!?

Hollycat
05-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Im shocked!

Depression Moon
05-07-2011, 03:31 PM
I'd love to see the Moombas come back, I also liked having the control of Critical hits with Squall's gunblade, maybe more interactive elements in combat to make battles more engaging.

I want Zidane's thief skills, the thief is an okay class unless they give them some BS stats and weapons like Locke and Zidane but I genuinely loved Zidane's thief skills, especially "What's That?!" and his ability to see what item an enemy is carrying, makes stealing way more efficient.

Hold on a minute. Somebody's actually used "What's That!?" more than once?

qwertysaur
05-07-2011, 07:18 PM

It's useful to get some free turns in, or to do extra damage with Melee attacks. :p

Wolf Kanno
05-07-2011, 07:37 PM

Hell yeah. :cool: My last playthrough of IX, I decided to try using everything. You would be surprised how many of Zidane's moves work on thinks. His Soul Blade move can cripple some of the games early bosses and Annoy works better than I thought it would. :D

Depression Moon
05-08-2011, 01:42 AM
I'm a bit surprised. I don't think I've touched the move since my first playthrough about 11 years ago.

On topic, I wouldn't mind seeing moombas again. I actually thought that they appeared in more than one game when I came on this site years ago because of the moogle and chocobo icons are reoccurring creatures I assumed Moomba was too and Lulu in X had them as dolls for some weapons too. It would also be cool to see another gang of thieves.

Mercen-X
05-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Pictomancers. :bigsmile:
DID YOU JUST MAKE THIS UP?

but optional towns.
Basically, more sidequests and optional areas.
But they have to tie-in somehow like with Yuffie and the Pagoda (really didn't care about Corneo)
I really wished Vincent had had a sidequest though.

Yes moombas. I too loved more interactive combat. I think that double-slash should return and be more controllable. I also like the ammo system from VIII and XII although XII took it more seriously.

I love hunting, but I don't want to make a career out of it otherwise I'd be playing Monster Hunter, and I agree it's an excellent opportunity to delve into character background and unexplored areas. The whole of the world shouldn't have to be tied in to the plot in order to explore it freely.

I kind of liked Arc the Lad's team up system, but I hated that it was limited to two characters. If I have three characters capable of team up and all are in range then those same damned three characters should participate. I would prefer the attacks to change slightly with the team up, but that would depend on what action is taken.

Zidane's thief skills, thief class is okay but I genuinely loved Zidane's thief skills, especially "What's That?!" and his ability to see what item an enemy is carrying, makes stealing way more efficient.

Hold on a minute. Somebody's actually used "What's That!?" more than once?ME!
again, I agree that being able to "see" what the enemy has (or more accurately "upgrading what can be stolen") is awesome. I've also always liked Sense, Morph, and Manipulate particularly when an enemy's ability can be learned by a member of the party.

Moomba... Lulu in X had them as dolls for some weapons too. It would also be cool to see another gang of thieves.I wouldn't mind seeing a character with an odd fighting style like Wakka or Lulu incorporating personal items like dolls and balls in combat.

Red XIII wore trinkets in combat, but I always wished it was easier to see them, because most characters weapons looked different when you used different ones, but unless you saw a really close-up pic of Red, you would never notice his equipment.
I also think that if armor is given a distinct appearance in a game (a drawn depiction in the menu), that's how it should look on your character, instead of it just disappearing.

qwertysaur
05-09-2011, 01:24 AM
Pictomancer is Relms job. She is the only one in the series. :p

Also What's That!? makes the enemies turn around and sets their ATB to zero. :p

Vermachtnis
05-09-2011, 01:25 AM
Monks, cause sometimes you just wanna kick things.

Depression Moon
05-09-2011, 02:41 AM
Also I had thought that Gau's job was interesting whatever it is. I'm too lazy to google it right now. I wouldn't definitely mind seeing it again.

VeloZer0
05-09-2011, 03:10 AM
Gau is essentially a Blue Mage.

Wolf Kanno
05-09-2011, 04:55 AM
More like a DQ pet monster. :p

Depression Moon
05-10-2011, 02:21 AM
Yeah Gau has enough to differentiate him from Blue Mages. He becomes uncontrollable and attacks in patterns. And the most unique thing about it is that he gains the properties of the monster he imitates. For instance if you choose Hornet he automatically has Float casted on him. If you choose to imitate a zombie monster he has zombie status on him though he'll still have HP and its good to use it against enemies that like to cast Lifeshaver, Drain, or Osmose.