PDA

View Full Version : Castlevania series

mashowasho
05-04-2011, 10:05 PM
I'm new so apologies if this thread is in the wrong place, already been done etc.

Anyone else here play Castlevania? What's your favourite game(s)? Fav characters? Do you prefer oldschool (linear) or newschool (metroid) style? 2D or 3D?

As for me, I like the classic 2D Metroidvania style, like SoTN and Circle of the Moon. I love Ecclesia as well even though it's a bit more linear. Oh, and NES-style Richter Belmont is awesome.

I just love whippin' things. :D

escobert
05-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Simons quest is my favorite probably out of nostalgia but for new ones Symphony of The Night and Portrait of Ruin were fun

Del Murder
05-04-2011, 10:28 PM
The series peaked with Symphony of the Night. The GBA/DS ones are good. The originals are good if you like old school platforming. Not a fan of the 3D versions.

Alucard is my favorite character.

mashowasho
05-04-2011, 11:23 PM
I wish I'd played the other GBA ones, since I loved CotM. Back then though, I couldn't afford to buy the games myself, and my parents didn't approve of dem silly vidya games, hur hurr.

I've played all the DS ones - DoS is very average in my opinion, though Julius mode is fun. PoR is better but the cartoony artwork was a bit annoying. And I've already said I loved Ecclesia - though I didn't at first. It's a grower.

Castlevania doesn't work in 3D for a couple of reasons: We already have Devil May Cry and other similar platform games covering that sort of gothy-genre, and a whip is a terrible weapon to use in a 3D environment, unless you add "tricks" and turn it into a God of War ripoff.

VeloZer0
05-05-2011, 12:30 AM
I'm only a fan of the SotN style entries, which I love very much. Traditional whip Castlevania and 3D entries don't really work for me.

Flying Arrow
05-05-2011, 01:11 AM
Like most people, Symphony is probably my favourite. Dawn of Sorrow and Circle of the Moon are really good, too. The straight-up platformers I've enjoyed from time to time as well. Not too big on the 3D entries, but Castlevania 64 I actually enjoyed (though there wasn't much to compare it to on that system) and I was really holding out hope that the new game was actually going to have some Metroidvania elements to it. From what I've heard, it doesn't.

DMKA
05-05-2011, 01:26 AM
The only one I've played is Lords of Shadow and I loved it.

And to anyone wondering, it plays just like God of War. I assume the older entries didn't.

Flying Arrow
05-05-2011, 01:57 AM
^ That's exactly what I heard about it. See, I like God of War, but I also really like Castlevania for what it does best (at least the Metroidvania games). Funny thing is, the first time I played God of War 1, I thought 'gee, this is kind of like what a really action-packed 3D Castlevania should be like'. And now here we are.

I actually saw LoS for relatively cheap at the game store today. Maybe when I get less busy I'll give it a spin.

mashowasho
05-05-2011, 10:41 AM
^ That's exactly what I heard about it. See, I like God of War, but I also really like Castlevania for what it does best (at least the Metroidvania games). Ohohoho, this. It's difficult to make a good 3D castlevania without it copying some other game.

I Don't Need A Name
05-05-2011, 11:22 AM
I saw the title of the thread and knew immediately who made it xD

I've only ever played Circle of the Moon, but I never was able to beat Dracula at the end. First GBA game I had actually...

mashowasho
05-05-2011, 04:29 PM
I saw the title of the thread and knew immediately who made it xDMwahaha!

I've only ever played Circle of the Moon, but I never was able to beat Dracula at the end. First GBA game I had actually...I guess CotM was pretty hard, but it was also my first (Castlevania and GBA game) and favourite. Dracula was wicked hard unless you memorised his attack patterns.... which I did by the time I'd completed the game five times XD

Also, Nathan was hot. :D

black orb
05-07-2011, 02:09 AM
>>> The NES ones were unplayable, thanks god these games evolved..:luca:

KentaRawr!
05-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Unplayable? No, you just suck! :p

Anyway, I really the Castlevania series. I find myself enjoying the classic series more, though. But I also really enjoy the N64 entries.

Vermachtnis
05-07-2011, 06:12 PM
I love the Castlevania games. I thought I was one of the few people who like PoR until I came here. The Dracula and Death combo at the end was the greatest thing from the series for me. Love Symphany of the Night, the main reason I got Dracula X for the PSP. Simon's Quest and III were fun too. Ungodly hard though. Never play Super IV or 64.

Heath
05-08-2011, 10:59 PM
I've only played Dawn of Sorrow in truth, but ever since I've always felt like playing some more. Quite enjoyed it as a 2D adventure-y platform game with a dash of essence of RPG thrown in there.

Yeargdribble
05-09-2011, 12:10 AM
I grew up in love with the original trilogy. I played the crap out of those games. I actually didn't play Castlevania IV until around a decade after it came out. I didn't play SotN until about last year or so when I finally picked up The Dracula X Chronicles for PSP.

The first of the newer (metroidvania style) games I played was Cirlce of the Moon, and I loved it. I actually found SotN quite lackluster by comparison. Of course, that's just a personal preferences for certainly elements about the game.

^ That's exactly what I heard about it. See, I like God of War, but I also really like Castlevania for what it does best (at least the Metroidvania games). Ohohoho, this. It's difficult to make a good 3D castlevania without it copying some other game.

This type of statement makes me stabby. People act like GoW created its genre. Actually, check out a game called Rygar - The Legendary Adventure (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMkRlcbFO84&feature=related). Check the release date on that versus GoW. Or, if you're too lazy, let me tell you that it was out 3 years prior.

Now who is copying whom? GoW ripped off everything about that game even up to the Greek Mythology setting. At least Lords of Shadow is only "copying" the mechanics of GoW at best. GoW gets credit for being a polished product, but it is not the original (and had 3 years longer to work with the hardware). I've had a problem with people saying that games ripped of GoW since everyone made a big beef about Dante's Inferno.

Is Gran Turismo simply ripping off Rad Racer? Are we not allowed to have more racing games if any other preceded it? This is a Final Fantasy forum. You want to talk about rip offs? Look at how much FF "stole" from DQ. Don't even get me started on FPS, especially in the modern "me too" sense. Nobody seem to complain about that. Most people seem happy to see another brown/grey military shooter every 2 month with the same weapons load out either shooting brown people in the middle east or space aliens invading our planet.

The point is, it doesn't matter. Games can be similar. Games should inspire other games. There should be similarities. Just because one may seem to be the apotheosis of the form doesn't mean that that's where it should stop. If it's so wonderful, people should use those concepts as a foundation for all sorts of things. Would you rather we end up with situations where no one is allowed to use "arrows that tell you where to go" because someone patented it? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Taxi_(series))

The only people who really have a problem with this are fanboys who can't stand the idea of another game building on the concepts of their pet.... or perhaps just really ignorant people.

KentaRawr!
05-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Speaking of 3D castlevania games, I hope I'm not the only one who enjoyed Legacy of Darkness. :3

sharkythesharkdogg
05-23-2011, 12:22 AM
I'll always have a soft spot for Super Castlevania IV.