PDA

View Full Version : Vagrant Story

Flying Arrow
05-05-2011, 02:14 AM
Vagrant Story is hands-down one of Squaresoft's best games. I recently played through it during my week off and was simply stunned at how much I'd forgotten and how absolutely quality it is from beginning to end. To be completely honest, this playthrough might have been the first time I killed the final boss and watched the ending. I have no recollection of ever seeing the end before...

What are everyone's thoughts on the game? Clunky? Confusing? A masterpiece of tinkering and tone?

Anyway, now that I've cleared it, I'm considering going back and doing a NG+ to clear the new dungeon. Although lately I've been having a real urge to play PS1 Square games and I might go through either FFIX or Chrono Cross (I'd actually really like to play through Legend of Mana for the first time, but god knows when PSN will be back up for me to get it). There's nothing like old Squaresoft games. I genuinely believe there's nothing even close this generation (or even last) that has the same consistency of quality and creativity that Square had during their PS1 run.

VeloZer0
05-05-2011, 02:50 AM
I absolutely loved the story and atmosphere but I found the combat to be quite a bit of a let down. It seemed to me like a standard RPG with most of the skills and magic pulled out, boiled down to just the attack command. Chaining combos together got more mileage out of it, but not nearly enough for an entire game. I really wanted to enjoy it, but sadly I just can't.

Also in retrospect it started my long standing loathing with item synthesis systems, being it was the first one I encountered and I haven't liked a single one. (FF9 was the only one that managed to achieve neutrality)

Wolf Kanno
05-06-2011, 10:37 PM
While it is certainly not the epitome of greatness in every category, I feel the game is pretty damn solid and awesome all around. I love the story and cast, Lea Monde is just perfect as a dungeon and a place of atmosphere and the game really in my mind combined the best parts of horror, rpg, dungeon crawling and even had a plot that gives MGS a run for its money.

I actually like the item building system, its simple enough to where you can get some solid benefits with just the basics of the system but its deep enough to where you can spend hours just tinkering away to build the highest grade material and optimize your effectiveness to kill things.

Risk can be annoying but it keeps the game balanced and prevents Ashely from just destroying everything he comes across and it actually makes magic useful so as I play through the game later, I've come to appreciate it much more. It had challenging puzzles and the different combo moves you could chain together combined with some of the Break Arts kept combat fresh long into later NG+.

Overall, its the story that sets this game across with constant backstabs, horrific revelations and general mind-fuck to keep you guessing what will happen next. I don't think a single game except maybe MGS1 has ever empowered a player as much as VS did/ Yeah, I love the game. :love:

Big D
05-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Aside from some gameplay issues, I find it a brilliant game in every respect. Especially in the level of cultural detail, from the ruins of Lea Monde to the society in the church and military. The locations and atmosphere are brilliant, setting the mood superbly; the game offers plenty of challenges and plenty of replay value too.

Possibly its best feature, in my view, is the writing. Fantastic translation that's sophisticated without being wanky, giving every character a distinct voice amid the poetic flourishes.

Flying Arrow
06-05-2011, 03:46 PM
had a plot that gives MGS a run for its money.

I'd say it's much better than MGS's plot, and even a majority of Square's own plots at the time. If anything, because it exercises a lot more restraint. It's pretty tight from beginning to end, with no twists that are thrown in for the sake of it.

I actually like the item building system, its simple enough to where you can get some solid benefits with just the basics of the system but its deep enough to where you can spend hours just tinkering away to build the highest grade material and optimize your effectiveness to kill things.

Yep. Nothing really to add here, except that I love me my tinkering.

LikeaLion
06-09-2011, 09:17 PM

I'd say it's much better than MGS's plot,

I played Vagrant Story quite a long time ago and I enjoyed it a lot! I liked how dark the story was with the backstabbing as well. I remember the gameplay featuring lots of customization. I also remember that the final battle was quite a good challenge.

But, I love MGS as well! I find that Kojima's games have lots of memorable characters. Many great adversaries. I also loved the MG series, Snatcher and Policenauts! Just like Matsuno...he also likes having double-crossers and triple-crossers in his stories.

Caelheim
06-12-2011, 11:00 PM
I'd definitely consider Vagrant Story to be one of my favourite games. It was incredibly immersive and had a mature and intriguing storyline that served to pull me in and lust for more. The attention to detail was brilliant, with both the environment and soundtrack being near flawless for the game's era.

It's just a shame a lot of content was apparently cut due to time restraints and lack of disc space - I've heard a few solid rumours that both Tieger and Neesa had been set to accompany Ashley through parts of the game.

Wolf Kanno
06-13-2011, 06:33 PM

I'd say it's much better than MGS's plot, and even a majority of Square's own plots at the time. If anything, because it exercises a lot more restraint. It's pretty tight from beginning to end, with no twists that are thrown in for the sake of it.

Depends on which MGS game we're talking about. I feel its pretty equal with MGS1 and MGS3 which are very good standalone titles that don't pull too many out of place twists. Though I'll agree its easily tied with Xenogears, Chrono series, and FFTactics for best storytelling. Its games like these tha make me sad that SE can't seem to make really good IPs anymore. I think The World Ends With You may be the only one in the last decade since the companies merger that I've truly loved.

Flying Arrow
06-14-2011, 12:12 AM
^ Fair enough. MGS1 and 3 are both great games with good plots. 3, in particular, is one of the most memorable games I've ever played and re-played. Not necessarily because of its story, but now that I do think of the story I really enjoyed the arc between Snake and The Boss. Really good, you're right.

And yeah, I love the Chrono games - not necessarily because of their plots (which are neater than plenty of other games'), but because of the general setting, world-building, and tone of the games. VS is really very different in terms of presentation, but yeah Square were the emperors of RPG world-building back then.

And *sigh*... you've inspired me to re-try Xenogears again. Maybe I'll go do that now.

Mercen-X
06-18-2011, 10:27 PM
They need to release this game on PSP.

My reasoning:
1) It's awesome, duh!
2) I can't locate my PS card with the saved data on it and I don't want to have to delete three games to store VG's saved data.
3) I can't actually locate a PS copy of the game anywhere and it's been years since I played it.
4) PSP may not be the most reliable handheld, but it is the most consistent. PSP, I feel, will be around for a while whereas those jackasses at Nintendo release a new system (especially handhelds) practically every week.
5) Despite the fact that I still need to get the screen fixed, I at least own a PSP and don't know when I'll be able to afford a PS3. There's absolutely no likelihood of the game being refurbished for PS2. The older style games like FF Tactics and VG are perfect these days for handhelds.

Caelheim
06-19-2011, 03:52 AM
You can actually get Vagrant Story for the PSP already, since it's now available under the PSone classics section on the official PSP store. I bought it myself as soon as it became available and I have had a lot of fun replaying the game after so many years parted from it!

champagne supernova
06-19-2011, 02:28 PM
I really enjoyed Vagrant Story's design and storyline. Of the games I played on PSone, VS was the one I thought had the best storyline, mainly because, as someone has already mentioned, it was much more restrained, serious and not over-the-top compared to something like MGS or FF.

I liked the weapon customisation and ability to train weapons to be effective against certain monster types etc. And Lea Monde was awesome. Probably why it was such an under-rated game was because the combat system wasn't that fantastic. It didn't make it unplayable for me and there were certainly some very good battles, but it just wasn't as fun as others.

aquatius
06-19-2011, 06:49 PM
I loved the dark atmosphere it had.

I just sucked terribly at it :c

Mercen-X
06-19-2011, 10:56 PM
I haven't been able to find it for PSP :tear... but then again, I haven't been lookin in very many gamestores lately. No money to spend on a broke PSP.

Wolf Kanno
06-20-2011, 03:26 AM
^ Its on PSN network as a PS1 classic. You just download it onto your PSP memory stick and play it.

Mercen-X
06-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Is that what he meant? I thought the PSP store was a physical place. I hate online stuff. I went up to Canada and signed for XBL despite the fact that I don't own an XBOX. Must be something in the air.