PDA

View Full Version : How much of Baz Luhrmann's advice do you take?

Loony BoB
05-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Inspired by the 'Advice Row' thread. :)

Here is the actual advice, commentary deleted, from Baz Luhrmann's song 'Everybody's Free (to Wear Sunscreen)'. How much of the advice do you take? I think the answers to this would provide an interesting insight to what each of us are like, so yay if that ends up being the case.

Wear sunscreen.
Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth.
Don't worry about the future.
Do one thing every day that scares you.
Sing.
Don't be reckless with other people's hearts.
Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.
Floss.
Don't waste your time on jealousy.
Remember compliments you receive.
Forget the insults.
Keep your old love letters.
Throw away your old bank statements.
Stretch.
Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life.
Get plenty of calcium.
Be kind to your knees.
Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either.
Enjoy your body.
Use it every way you can.
Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.
Read the directions, even if you don't follow them.
Do not read beauty magazines.
Get to know your parents.
Be nice to your siblings.
Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on.
Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle.
Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard.
Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft.
Travel.
Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old.
Respect your elders.
Don't expect anyone else to support you.
Don't mess too much with your hair.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.

As for me...

Wear sunscreen. - I do this, but not nearly as often as I used to since I live in Scotland now. :(
Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. - Well, I'm not as young as I once was - admittedly, this song is aimed at me when I was about 13 years old, though, so there you go. But I enjoy the fact that I'm not an ugly old man... well, not to everyone. ;) And "yet". :p
Don't worry about the future. - I do whatever I can to avoid worrying about the future, I have to say. There are occasions that I still, however, do it.
Do one thing every day that scares you. - I don't do this. I'm content without freaking myself out. xD
Sing. - I do this often, even if I'm crap at it :D
Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. - I like to think that I am not.
Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours. - I like to think that I don't... anymore.
Floss. - I don't. =x I just brush and sometimes use mouthwash.
Don't waste your time on jealousy. - I try to not do this. The only time I get jealous is when it comes to money. I'd say it's more envy than jealousy, though. I probably do get jealous over some things, I just can't think of any at this time.
Remember compliments you receive. - I do try to do this. =]
Forget the insults. I do try to do this. =x
Keep your old love letters. - I do this.
Throw away your old bank statements. - I do this if they're very old. I keep a few recent-ish ones purely on the basis that they are useful for proving your identity with certain companies and getting bank details from.
Stretch. - I love stretching!
Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. - I don't. I have some idea of what I want to do, anyway. But I take it step by step, no massive long term ideas, really.
Get plenty of calcium. - I could probably use more of this, I guess. My diet isn't exactly exemplary.
Be kind to your knees. - I... think I am? *pats his knees* "Good knees, keep it up." >_>;
Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. - Hrm, I don't know where I stand with this. I guess I don't. I get cocky over some things and I get down over some things, but not to extremes unless it's something I consider very important.
Enjoy your body. - I do! ;D
Use it every way you can. - I do. ;D
Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. - I'm not! :D
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room. - I enjoy dancing but I don't have any dancing ability whatsoever. So I do dance in my own living room... when Danielle isn't home. :shifty: I don't think my dancing is anything remotely close to either aesthetically pleasing or entertaining. It's just "what are you doing, Daniel?"
Read the directions, even if you don't follow them. - I... can be guilty of not doing this on occasion.
Do not read beauty magazines. - I don't read the beauty parts of magazines, and the only beauty magazines I even flick through are the ones in Bravissimo. There's nothing else to do when waiting for Danielle to finish trying on clothes. :( Beauty magazines are the worst magazines ever.
Get to know your parents. - I like to think that I do this to a decent extent. I could know them more, but there are some things I don't want to know. xP
Be nice to your siblings. - I am most of the time!
Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. - While tricky considering that I live overseas from all of my childhood friends, I do try to keep in touch. Online friends? Yeah, I do what I can to keep in touch with those I have been closest to.
Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle. - Internet, hi.
Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. - Haven't done that!
Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft. - I lived there for a week, doees that count? :D I don't know what is classed as 'Northern' though. If there is some general line that Americans know of. I was in Los Osos (outside of San Luis Obispo, I think).
Travel. - I do! I want to do more of this.
Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. - Yeah, I know. :(
Respect your elders. - I try to remember at all times to give respect to everyone who I feel hasn't given me a reason to not respect them.
Don't expect anyone else to support you. - I do not. I'm very self-sufficient. Which makes living with Danielle and both of us having a full time job to be a massive boost. :)
Don't mess too much with your hair. - I don't. :aimsun: All natural, all boring, baby. :p
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. - I should probably exercise patience a little more.

Shlup
05-06-2011, 07:27 PM
This thread takes effort.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. - I think I did.
Don't worry about the future. - How do you prepare for it without worrying?
Do one thing every day that scares you. - No. Screw you.
Sing. - I do. But people tell me to stop. xD
Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. - I don't think I have been.
Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours. - I don't.
Floss. - Hell yes floss.
Don't waste your time on jealousy. - When you've been with the same person over a decade, a little jealousy can be flattering. Don't be serious about it though.
Remember compliments you receive. - I'm sure that if I receive any I will. Bawwww
Forget the insults. - Working on it. xD
Keep your old love letters. - I have one in my wallet. It says "You have nice boobs."
Throw away your old bank statements. - I don't think BJ would go for that. He's all about keeping records.
Stretch. - Every day.
Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. - But I do know.
Get plenty of calcium. - I just got a prescription with a lot of calcium.
Be kind to your knees. - I try. ;_;
Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. - I don't know about this one.
Enjoy your body. - Oh hohoho, I'll get right on that.
Use it every way you can. - Screw that one.
Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. - I'm starting to get the feeling this guy's trying to con me into anal.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room. - Sometimes you gotta dance it out, bitch.
Read the directions, even if you don't follow them. - No.
Do not read beauty magazines. - I don't. I got free subscriptions to American Baby and Woman's Day though. xD
Get to know your parents. - I know them more than enough.
Be nice to your siblings. - Sometimes this takes an unbelievable amount of effort.
Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. - I've had some of the same friends since birth so I think I've got this one.
Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle. - Uhm, k.
Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. - Ha, no chance.
Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft. - I think I've seen what that place has done to enough of my friends to go ahead and pass.
Travel. - As often as possible.
Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. - No.
Respect your elders. - I do. Unless they suck.
Don't expect anyone else to support you. - Too late.
Don't mess too much with your hair. - K.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. - No. Well, maybe.

And I wear sunscreen every day.

Hollycat
05-06-2011, 09:49 PM
who?

Rocket Edge
05-06-2011, 11:44 PM
Ah Baz Luhrmann, what a legend of a man.

Wear sunscreen. - Sometimes
Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. - For sure
Don't worry about the future. - :/ Almost too much
Do one thing every day that scares you. - I'm all for the philosophy, but once a day? Scary occurrences don't generally happen too often
Sing. - If I'm working alone I sing too cure the boredom
Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. - I don't think I've ever been
Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours. - This I don't do
Floss. - Maybe I should more than I normally do
Don't waste your time on jealousy. - I most certainly never have
Remember compliments you receive. - Does anyone really?
Forget the insults. - Kinda hard not to forget some of them at times
Keep your old love letters. - There's no point in keeping them
Throw away your old bank statements. - Yeah
Stretch. - Ha, if I need too
Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. - Guilty, an accurate description. Sometimes its hard not too.
Get plenty of calcium. - I like my milk
Be kind to your knees. - Battered both of them in accidents in the past year :(
Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. - I really don't do this
Enjoy your body. - I try to take full advantage!
Use it every way you can. - Ok
Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. - I'm not really self-conscious
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room. - I do enough dancing on the weekends
Read the directions, even if you don't follow them. - Must do more of this
Do not read beauty magazines. - lol
Get to know your parents. - I'm good friends with both of them
Be nice to your siblings. - Of course
Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. - True
Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle. - Routine is best for a healthy mind
Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. - Pending
Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft. - "
Travel. - Most definitely
Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. - It doesn't really scare me
Respect your elders. - Sure
Don't expect anyone else to support you. - My family is always there for me; not that I expect anything from them
Don't mess too much with your hair. - Good advice
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. - :up:

Hollycat
05-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Wear sunscreen. No
Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. I certainly did last night Giggedy
Don't worry about the future. Too late
Do one thing every day that scares you. Why?
Sing. Ok, I do
Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. ..... ok
Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours. Gotcha
Floss. NO!
Don't waste your time on jealousy. 100%
Remember compliments you receive. I have short term memory loss (wait/// do I? I forget)
Forget the insults. what insults?
Keep your old love letters. too late
Throw away your old bank statements. ..... ok?
Stretch. why should I OH MAH HIP
Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. Why would I feel guilty?
Get plenty of calcium. I do
Be kind to your knees. ..... what?
Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Ok then
Enjoy your body. Giggedy
Use it every way you can. Giggedy Giggedy Giggedy
Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. ....ok
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room. no
Read the directions, even if you don't follow them.NO
Do not read beauty magazines. lol ok
Get to know your parents. NOOOO
Be nice to your siblings. ... maybe
Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. ok
Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle. fine
Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. Giggedy
Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft. Not Giggedy
Travel. Yes
Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. "What you fear most is growing old"
Respect your elders. got it
Don't expect anyone else to support you. never did
Don't mess too much with your hair. ... why?
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. ................<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>

dont sit on campfires

Jiro
05-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Wear sunscreen. Yes, not as often as I should, but I also seem to burn more when I do. I think I go "Oh I put on sunscreen I am now invincible to the sun".
Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. What? No. I don't go out and pick up women. If I was powerful or beautiful or youthful maybe I could get somewhere.
Don't worry about the future. ahahahaha :hahaha: I worry errday
Do one thing every day that scares you. I make it a goal to put myself in uncomfortable situations to grow as a person but I think talking to people covers the "one thing every day that scares me" thing.
Sing. And don't I ever. Everyday, lots, and horribly. Someone teach me to sing good plz.
Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. I'm probably guilty of this because I'm such a flirt, but like I said, people don't like me :monster:
Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours. Took me a while, but I got there :D
Floss. Uhhh. :shifty:
Don't waste your time on jealousy. Nah I'm jealous but I use that to further myself as a person.
Remember compliments you receive. In preschool my teacher said I had lovely eyelashes. I thought only girls had lovely eyelashes so I started pulling them out. I still have lovely eyelashes though, I didn't manage to destroy them.
Forget the insults. Yeah, mostly?
Keep your old love letters. I have a box full of stuff!
Throw away your old bank statements. ahaha I throw away all of my bank statements and important documents too early :shobon:
Stretch. Yeah I overlooked this and now I'm paying the price. Daily stretches at 1pm and I can already touch my toes! Yay for spinal conditions though :grumble:
Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. I don't feel guilty, I'm just worried as fuck.
Get plenty of calcium. I luuuurrrrve chocy milk
Be kind to your knees. Yeah my knees and me are getting on well now, I've given them the break they need.
Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. I berate myself too much :shobon:
Enjoy your body. I'll enjoy your body. Nah this one is weird, what is he trying to say masturbate often? :confused:
Use it every way you can. I think he is.
Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. Jesus, public masturbation?
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room. I'm dancin' errday.
Read the directions, even if you don't follow them. Yeah, yeah I do this.
Do not read beauty magazines. I read them in the waiting room for doctors etc
Get to know your parents. I learn some cool :bou::bou::bou::bou: about my folks sometimes.
Be nice to your siblings. BUT WHY, HE'S A JERK. No my bro can be cool, he just is very different to me so we're at odds a lot.
Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. All my friends are balls. Going out and not inviting me, expecting me to organise :bou::bou::bou::bou:. Wtf am I their servant? Cinderella please.
Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle. I don't understand this but I once made a spaghetti bridge that held something like 20kg. Fuck yeah engineering master
Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. I will go and visit once. I don't know why I'm getting hard so quick though, is it that hot?
Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft. And is North Cali so ugly that I just limp up?
Travel. Yeah yeah, working on it. Plotting my study abroad; who should I visit?
Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. I remember when fuel were 70c a litre. Scandalous politicians will keep journalism alive :bigsmile: I'm already getting old man, I'm like, an adult now.
Respect your elders. On a serious note, yeah, yeah I do.
Don't expect anyone else to support you. Ok Squall.
Don't mess too much with your hair. I have sexy hair.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. I feel like I should just mention Rantzien here because he gives me advice too much and changes my mind on things :colbert: <noscript> Wear sunscreen.
Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth.
Don't worry about the future.
Do one thing every day that scares you.
Sing.
Don't be reckless with other people's hearts.
Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.
Floss.
Don't waste your time on jealousy.
Remember compliments you receive.
Forget the insults.
Keep your old love letters.
Throw away your old bank statements.
Stretch.
Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life.
Get plenty of calcium.
Be kind to your knees.
Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either.
Enjoy your body.
Use it every way you can.
Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.
Read the directions, even if you don't follow them.
Do not read beauty magazines.
Get to know your parents.
Be nice to your siblings.
Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on.
Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle.
Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard.
Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft.
Travel.
Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old.
Respect your elders.
Don't expect anyone else to support you.
Don't mess too much with your hair.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.</noscript>

Vermachtnis
05-07-2011, 06:05 PM
I would like to say, some of these sound smark aleky, but that's for entertainment. The answers are actually sincere.

Wear sunscreen. Nah, too much work.
Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Yes, I refuse to grow up
Don't worry about the future. See above
Do one thing every day that scares you. Scary things are scary
Sing. I do, everyone tells me stop it.
Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. That's good advice and I try not to. But I'm just so fucking charming I can't help it.
Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours. I do, just write them out of my life. Guess it's karma though.
Floss. Nah, too much work.
Don't waste your time on jealousy. I have everything I want and nothing to be jealous of.
Remember compliments you receive. I do. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Forget the insults. Can't, I'm am a very spiteful person. Over half of what I do is driven from spite.
Keep your old love letters. Nah, too much work. Easier to chuck them into the fire place.
Throw away your old bank statements. I can't. I like seeing how much money I had.
Stretch. I try to, but don't always get to it.
Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. I don't, I'm awesome.
Get plenty of calcium. I do try to drink lots of milk.
Be kind to your knees. That's what she said.
Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. But I'm awesome.
Enjoy your body. Every night.
Use it every way you can. Every night.
Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. I don't.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room. I really do this.
Read the directions, even if you don't follow them. Always.
Do not read beauty magazines. Always
Get to know your parents. Of course.
Be nice to your siblings. She's annoying.
Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Couldn't agree more.
Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle. I like to think I know a lot of types of people.
Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. I'd like to go there.
Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft. Not there though.
Travel. I'd like to get out of the country too.
Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. I refuse.
Respect your elders. Old people suck.
Don't expect anyone else to support you. I don't.
Don't mess too much with your hair. Comb it once when I get up and I'm done.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Always courteous.

fire_of_avalon
05-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Wear sunscreen. Whenever I know I'm going to be outside for more than an hour, I lay on the SPF 70. And I need it.
Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. I think I'm still doing that. I'm pretty young still. Aren't I? 25 almost 26 isn't that old.
Don't worry about the future. I don't. I worry about the now.
Do one thing every day that scares you. What about one thing that makes me nervous. I can do that.
Sing. I do every single day. It isn't good but I still love to do it.
Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. I don't think I am.
Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours. I... need to work on that.
Floss. I should do this more often.
Don't waste your time on jealousy. If you say so!
Remember compliments you receive. I do.
Forget the insults. Most insults occur behind my back so I probably don't know about most of them.
Keep your old love letters. They're in a box.
Throw away your old bank statements. No! You go to hell!
Stretch. Every morning!
Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. I think I've figured it out.
Get plenty of calcium. I might. I think I do. I eat a lot of cheese.
Be kind to your knees. I'm not mean to them.
Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. I berate myself all the time. I should work on that.
Enjoy your body. ? *wiggles*
Use it every way you can. ...*wiggles more?*
Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. Okay.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room. I probably do this everyday too.
Read the directions, even if you don't follow them. I don't do this unless I'm building or using something very complicated. That's how I built my bookshelf inside out at first.
Do not read beauty magazines. What about the beauty section of non-beauty magazines?
Get to know your parents. My mother left my father when I was four. I haven't seen her when I was 9. smurf you, Baz!
Be nice to your siblings. I will if she'll be nice to me.
Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. I do.
Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle. I am really bad at this, but I'm improving!
Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. give me some money and I will.
Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft. Give me some more money and I will!
Travel. I wish I could do this more.
Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. You really know how to bring a person down!
Respect your elders. I respect the ones who are respectable.
Don't expect anyone else to support you. I don't.
Don't mess too much with your hair. I did this when I was younger, but I don't anymore.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. I am!

BAZ IS SOOOO PREACHY.