PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Beginnings (WTF Edition)

Jessweeee♪
05-06-2011, 09:38 PM
WK's thread got me thinking on some games that start out weird. This isn't just about opening animations, but the beginning in general. Think about the first hour or so.

My top two:

FFX-2. I didn't read a whole lot about it, and I was expecting something like Final Fantasy X. Imagine me and my little bro's surprise when we pop it in to find Yuna doing a concert followed by a Charlie's Angels style introduction of our three heroines.

Persona 4. I knew TVs and weather would be relevant to the plot, but it was pretty wtf when the protagonist almost got sucked into his television.

Rocket Edge
05-06-2011, 11:24 PM
The only one I can think of is FFVIII. It was a bit all over the place in it's opening sequence and I didn't have a clue what was going on when I first popped it in.

black orb
05-07-2011, 01:59 AM
>>> FFX-2, I was shocked..:luca:

Jessweeee♪
05-07-2011, 04:04 AM
I should also mention LSD: Dream Emulator (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/133716-lsd-dream-emulator.html), but you expect some wtf after reading the title.

qwertysaur
05-07-2011, 04:30 AM
The first time I played Persona 3. I was very confused when you first see Yukari. :| And was still wondering what was going on until you first go to Tartarus.

Shauna
05-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Eternal Sonata. A girl falls off a cliff wtf. D:

Jiro
05-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Infinite Undiscovery is a bit wtf is going on. You just sort of wake up and there's some chick and then :bou::bou::bou::bou: happens. Nothing makes sense. Heck, the whole game is a bit like that really :p

There was one of those Kain games (Kain's Legacy or something) where you start out as some guy and then immediately die. That :bou::bou::bou::bou: confused me. It's meant to happen, but I kept retrying xD

I could list so many for this tbh.

Dreddz
05-07-2011, 01:40 PM
FFVII springs to mind. The entire opening in Midgar was very memorable. I also liked Half Lifes opening. If only because you can blow up a Microwave meal for no apparant reason.

Old Manus
05-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Kingdom Hearts 2

Iceglow
05-07-2011, 02:12 PM
The Hudson River...Two Years Ago....

I couldn't go anywhere without mentioning this namely because put in the same location together me and Paul invariably inevitably begin using this quote. Metal Gear 2 destroyed us.

Red Dead Redemption, the beginning of this game told me everything I needed to know, which was simple; I was going to love this game.

Fallout 3, you witness yourself being born and then get to control yourself both as a baby and a 10 year old kid finally as a teen ager before ending up as an adult.

Vermachtnis
05-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Disgaea 2, the first scene involves preparation to fight the big bad and then a girl pops out of a cauldron. Even for Disaea that's a little WTFy.

Still doesn't hold a candle to Makai Kingdom. In the tutorial you're LV2000. Then he gets in a argument with a book and destroys it. Which destroys his world or universe or whatever. I forget which.

qwertysaur
05-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Infinite Undiscovery is a bit wtf is going on. You just sort of wake up and there's some chick and then :bou::bou::bou::bou: happens. Nothing makes sense. Heck, the whole game is a bit like that really :p

Well It is Capells story and he is pretty much WTF for at least 75% of the game.

Shauna
05-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Kingdom Hearts 2

How could I forget this one. >.>

Or maybe I just blocked it out since it was so awful. :(

ljkkjlcm9
05-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Resonance of Fate. If you played it, you would know.

THE JACKEL

Jiro
05-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Oh yeah! I forgot about Resonance of Fate. I pieced it together almost immediately and still spent the whole game going "wtf wtf wtf wtf". Of course I'm only like half wayish so anything revealed later I'm in the dark about.

Remon
05-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Both kingdom hearts. Seriously WTF? Those opening don't really make much sense do they? Even the stair thing.

Also pokemon diamond when encountering Bidoof.

I thought FFX2 was cool, but probably because I played it before FFX. I was a noob.

Jessweeee♪
05-08-2011, 08:54 PM
FFX-2 is cool. It was surprising is all!

LunarWeaver
05-08-2011, 09:31 PM
If you're strong, you can fly
You can reach the other side
Of the rainboooow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPC8W672mXc)

nirojan
05-08-2011, 10:04 PM
GOD OF WAR 2!
I remember being soo hyped about playing as a god. I remember the Ending of the first one, where Kratos is sitting on a throne in Olympus as the New God of War. I literally ran home the day I got it. In like the first 3 minutes, your shrunken down to normal size and then like 30 minutes down the road your turned back into a mortal (and sent to hell). That was a major WTF beginning!

Don't get me wrong, this was one of the best intros I've ever played (battle with the collosus of Rhodes is etched in my head!), but I was really expecting to play as a god. Oh well, the game was probably the best action game I've ever played!

Heath
05-08-2011, 11:04 PM
If you're strong, you can fly
You can reach the other side
Of the rainboooow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPC8W672mXc)

I was listening to the Brawl OST the other day and found myself humming it the next day. I felt slightly ashamed.

I've got to concur with those that said KH2.

Wolf Kanno
05-09-2011, 05:25 AM
KH2 is up there, though for me it was an awesome opening that kept me intrigued from beginning to end. For a tutorial section, it is easily the best crafted that I've seen in a long while.

Lufia: The Fortress of Doom is pretty intense and has you wondering, if you played Lufia 2 first, it makes total sense and its awesome but if you never did play the sequel first (and most probably didn't) then you were probably thrown off a bit but it was still pretty awesome.

Digital Devil Saga's opening is pretty intense and filled with "WTF?!" moments but it should be expected from something based on Hinduism and focuses on the concept of cannibalism. Hell most MegaTen games have pretty weird or disturbing openings but it is a series where 90% of the time, the world ends in the first 10 minutes.

Xenogears has a pretty weird opening. Shows a dramatic space cruiser malfunction and a lone survivor on a distant world, then the game jumps 10,000 years into the future in the middle of a war between two nations fighting mechs, which brings you to the opening village which is on fire and a gear battle is raging on, only for it to fade away and see the main character painting... That's the first 15 minutes of Xenogears crammed into a few sentences.

BoF2 and 3 have some pretty twisted openings that make you guess a bit. Especially BoF2... yah that might take the cake for W-T-F-J-H!?!?!?! :stare:

Pheesh
05-09-2011, 06:43 AM
KH2 is up there, though for me it was an awesome opening that kept me intrigued from beginning to end. For a tutorial section, it is easily the best crafted that I've seen in a long while.

I'd agree with this, especially so because I only read the script for KH:CoM and never actually played it, so the wtf factor was increased. I still had an emotional attachment to the characters at the end of the tutorial sequence though.

Old Manus
05-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Nah, it was pants. Far, far too long, and what it explained story-wise (next to nothing) could have been summed up in something like an opening cutscene. It was all just a bit...pointless, really.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Yume Nikki. That game is WTF from beginning to end. Still love it, though.